Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

fanny pack/waist bag alternative

buena!

I happen to not be a "fan" of fanny packs (those guys you wear around your waist with a pocket big enough for a camera, snacks etc).

BUT

i'm thinking that taking off my pack every time i want to take a picture or eat something is going to be a pain IN the fanny and i might wish i had a pack ON my fanny. (i also haven't budgeted in the additional weight.)

any thoughts or suggestions? has anyone tried anything different?

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Listed in my signature
Buena,

the fanny packs are great for the Camino, IMHO. I loosen the strap so that I can sling it over my head and under one arm so it rests across my chest. This prevent it from interfering with any of my backpack straps and it keeps my money, passport, camera, lip balm, map of day's walk, etc. very handy. It also comes in handy as a purse for going out to dinner!

Very practical if not fashionable.

A

Anonymous

I keep my money + passport, on me, all the time. A few years ago I left my FP at a restaurant in Santiago with everything, and I mean everything, of value, in it. Two days later it had been turned in, INTACT, to the Comisaria de policia. Terrible two days, though, no $ no cc, no passport... Best, xm 8)

I carried a very lightweight purse (about the size of an around-the-neck passport holder), with a long strap so that I could wear it across one shoulder. My passport, money, credential, ATM card, and earplugs lived in the purse. The purse stayed in my pack when I was walking, but stayed with me whenever I put the pack down. I even wore it to sleep (I lost a passport once while traveling, and never want to do that again). It worked well for me. I'm also not a fan of fanny packs.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Listed in my signature
I like a FP that is slim in profile, with 2-3 zippers pouches. Usually a small one on the inside that lies against your body - good for money or credit cards. A large one for camera and bulkier. Most have another little pouch in the front for change. Manufacturers make 'pouchy' ones that are like a 1/2-circle, or others which are slim/rectangular shaped. Its a personal preference.

buena!

thanks xm!
i "randomly" came across a little purse of mine that i actually fits my holga camera and myCSJ guidebook if need be. not a ton of room for snacks, but it's not too heavy and might just work! i never would have considered it if i didn't hear your responses - so thanks everyone!

A

Anonymous

Hi buena!

I put the following inside my FP: camera, pen, + ... (am sure am leaving something out :!: ). I do like to carry it as light as poss.

On my person: passport + wallet

Backpack, among other things I may need : guidebook + snacks + small water bottle(s) + credencial.

When I take a shower I put camera + passport + wallet inside my FP and take it with me leaving it close by where I can see it.

When I go to sleep, I put everything of value inside/bottom of my sleeping bag...have no idea where I picked this one up, must have been from seeing it from a fellow-pilgrim at an albergue, another way of learning a lot of things.

Best,

xm 8)

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads