• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feeling a little judged from other commenters so...

ElleClarke

Time of past OR future Camino
dxghzgdcnzgd
let me apologize in advance but we are only interested in doing the last 100km. I know that makes many of you upset but we simply can't afford to be away for more than a couple weeks. Nor do we want to be on the trail for months so please try to overlook our enthusiasm and excitement when you see us join you worn down walkers. I am not asking you hardcore folks, I am asking other people who may have just done the 100k...is there anything I need to be on the watch for? Anything I need to know? If you went through a tour company what one would you recommend? We are also not sleeping in hostels with bedbugs and lice...pass. Walk or bike?When walking do you get to stop at any of these towns and villages to look around or is the idea to forge on?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did Sarria to Santiago in 2012, because I was on Fall break from my studies. It's still very hard.... don't let anyone kid you. That said, you'll be tempted to rush through it.... just relax, bring duct tape and Vaseline, and try to savor every moment. It will be over before you know it!

Hi Elle!

No need to apologize, neither to feel judged. Please feel welcomed, as each Camino is personal and unique!
Most of us really do not care about how much/how long you are walking, as long as the Camino is important for you!

If you intend to get a Compostela certificate in the end of your Camino, you will have to walk 100km to get it. To get it by bike, you have to do at least 200km.

There are plenty of inns and little hotels along the way, so accommodation will not be a problem. Also, because you walk at your own pace, you can stop to enjoy the cities and landscapes at any moment. Along the last 100km there are plenty of pretty places and many little towns where it is very nice to stop for a coffee and a chat with other people (worn down or enthusiastic, or both at the same time!).

Just remember to keep your pack light, and enjoy it! :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think all the same advice would apply to the 100-km pilgrims as to longer walkers. Either way, people typically walking 15-25 km days and make accommodation choices based on their preferences. Pack light, wear comfortable shoes that you have broken in, make sure your back pack fits right, be prepared for a range of weather, be respectful, manage expectations, etc. There is lots of information here on the forum - about biking versus walking, alternative accommodation, bedbugs, (but not much about lice), pros and cons of organized tours. You didn't mention where you are from or when you might go, so its hard to know where to start.
I don't think you need a tour company, but that would depend on how you personally like to travel. Is that what you were wondering when you asked
When walking do you get to stop at any of these towns and villages to look around or is the idea to forge on?
Of course, you get to stop and look around unless you are on a forced march! Many of us prefer to keep our options very open and that is why we don't book in advance.

Maybe one different piece of advice for the 100-km pilgrims would be not to judge the worn-down pilgrims and assume they will be hostile!;)

If it's any consolation, those responsible for the tomb of Saint James in Santiago don't judge at all- those who walk 1200km get the same reception as those who walk 100km from Sarria, and you get the same compostela. Just enjoy the walk (and your first pulpo in Palas de Rei) and don't worry about it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please don't judge everyone out there the same, yes I know there are a stew on the forum who think that the only way to or the camino is from SJPdP or further, but not everyone has the time or the inclination to do this, just ignore those who look down on you.
Just do it at your own pace, enjoy the experience of this wonderful journey. As @C clearly points out more information is required for us to help.

There are 100km possibilities other than just on the Camino Francés.
My first Camino was the 100kms from Ferrol, on the Camino Inglés, over 9 days. It is not 'easy' and shortening the first few days is a good idea (Ferrol to Neda; Neda to Pontedeume; Pontedeume to Miño etc). Others are now walking the Primitivo from Lugo (100kms also) That gives a 20km first day. We had thought of taking the bus towards Fonsagrada, to the east of Lugo, getting off at Castroverde to walk into Lugo and 'warm up' as a first day, but actually had time for a longer Camino and walked from Tineo. You could start in Fonsagrada if you have time.
Both these alternatives have private accommodation as well as albergues - much is listed on www.gronze.com, and you can then create your own stages.
Explore your options, see which route calls and have a wonderful Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think the majority of the criticism of the walkers starting from Sarria is directed at the one's who are on and off the busses and taxi's. It's your pilgrimage, start where ever you like but don't cheat to get your Compestella, everybody knows the rules. We met a lot of pilgrims starting from Sarria and we thought no less of them.

let me apologize in advance but we are only interested in doing the last 100km. I know that makes many of you upset but we simply can't afford to be away for more than a couple weeks. Nor do we want to be on the trail for months so please try to overlook our enthusiasm and excitement when you see us join you worn down walkers. I am not asking you hardcore folks, I am asking other people who may have just done the 100k...is there anything I need to be on the watch for? Anything I need to know? If you went through a tour company what one would you recommend? We are also not sleeping in hostels with bedbugs and lice...pass. Walk or bike?When walking do you get to stop at any of these towns and villages to look around or is the idea to forge on?
It's your Camino. Do as you please and you. will have a unforgettable experience particuarly finishing in Santiago de Compostella, allow 1 full day extra. Company or Independent, I my view Independant, the advance planning is all part of the thing. Albergue v Hostals / Hotels Cycling definitly the later otherwise you will be woken shrtly after you eventualy go to sleep!!!. Buen Camino.

I don't know anything about specific tour companies, but I did meet some people on tour who were not happy. Here were the problems they told me. The group would stop at specific places for lunch, the food could be almost gone when the slower ones got there. The starting times were late in the morning (10 am) which doesn't work well if you are an early riser. The accommodations booked were well off the camino, perhaps a 45 minute drive each way. The dinners started at 8 at night. If you are a fast walker and know ahead of time that these other things wouldn't bother you a tour could work out. It isn't hard to walk on your own, you could make reservations at private accommodations yourself, and use correos or Jacotrans to ship your pack ahead. However, I understand that with short time and busy schedules you might not want to do that. If you use a tour, please ask questions about the kind of things I mention here. The people I met who were unhappy were from several different tours and were not liking their experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Elle,

My wife and I walked from Sarria a couple of months ago and it was great. You'll pass through lots of nice villages and towns and there are loads of accommodation options. We stayed in B&B / small hotels. Personally I would walk. The slower pace suits me. Why rush.

As for 'forging ahead' it depends on how long you have. We made it 'last' 8 days :oops:

I think the main criticism and barbs thrown on here is not towards the last 10okm walkers, but towards the circus like atmosphere some of that has become with the tour groups, buses full of people, etc.
I can't complain about the albergues. I've done the CF three times, and stayed in albergues 90% of that. No lice and bedbugs on me.
I'm not a "hardcore" walker (how hardcore can one be sleeping indoors every night and drinking beer?) but I don't recommend being part of a tour group/company or whatever those things are called. Far too easy to just plan and walk your own trip.
cheers and ultreia

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi ElleClarke! Welcome to the forum!

If you went through a tour company what one would you recommend?

I don't think you'll get many replies to that question on this forum because most of the users here don't use tour companies to walk or bike the camino.

When walking do you get to stop at any of these towns and villages to look around or is the idea to forge on?

The key question here is if you are going on your own or if you are going to take a tour. If you are going to take a tour, that's a question you should ask to the tour provider. And you should choose whatever tour provider gives you an experience closer to the one you want to get. OTOH, if you plan to make it on your own, you are free to decide where to stop, how long to stop, where to make a detour, what to visit, how long to visit it, where to eat and so on. Therefore, if going by your own the question becomes: Do you want to look around villages and towns along the route or do you want to forge on? The decission is yours.

Walk or bike?

If you plan to get a Compostela, recall that you can make it walking the last 100 kms but you would need to cycle the last 200 kms if you wanted to get one riding a bike. Otherwise, walking or biking is something you'll have to figure out by yourself depending on the experience you want to get from the camino, on your personal preferences, aims and goals.

I had already walked for 42 days by the time I passed through Sarria. I had worried about all the fuss, and had already seen the increase in numbers, beginning in O'Cebreiro. But I found the last 100 km as delightful, as meaningful, as the first 100 km. Sure, there were differences, but walking the Camino teaches you to appreciate differences. I had several wonderful conversations with people using a tour service to walk the 100 km. They were so excited to be there, so looking forward to the experience. I knew they would experience the same pain, the same joy, the same uncertainty I had experienced, in a way unique to them. And as said already, the last 100 km is not an easy walk! When I saw some of them after a few days, they were indeed in "Camino Shock," that moment of "why am I doing this? Am I going to make it?" But they pushed on, just as I had pushed on.

So, @ElleClarke, do your Camino. Make it as challenging as you can to push yourself beyond your comfort limit. And then push on. Buen Camino.

I did Ponferrada to Santiago. I stayed at hostals and loved them clean, had my own room with bathroom, and used the backpack service. I stopped in time to visit the towns and villages, and savour my Camino. I used booking.com and had absolutely no problems with my bookings. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rather than a tour company you could also explore booking your rooms on Booking.com or some such and then using a bag transportation company if you're looking for a little more organized experience (Please believe me that you will have no trouble finding the way from Sarria to SDC, just follow the crowd!). With 4-5 nights it's pretty easy to look through many postings here and see 'favorites' along the way and book them before you ever leave home and if it is this year you are thinking about, the extra traffic on the Camino might actually make that a pretty smart plan!

Also, just a thought but I think you may just find that the excitement and enthusiasm of those who have walked 700kms is actually pretty high. Yes, we may limp along a little more than others but when you're down to the last 100kms the smiles get bigger and the twinkle in the eye gets brighter.

Buen Camino.

Bedbugs don't discriminate. They are just as happy at a hotel or B&B as in a hostel.
Did Sarria to Santiago last year. and stayed in hostels the whole way. Never saw or felt a bed bug. ln Galacia every hostel l stopped at supplied me with vert tough paper sheet and pillowcase which were just fine. l carried a sleeping bag and never used it. Buen Camino.

If you only have a week why not do one of the middle sections?

Do what the Europeans do...start in St Jean, walk your week or 10 days, keep your credencial, and do the next section next year. :D

Just finishing the Camino today and I'll tell you, the absolute best parts were St Jean to Sarria. Sarria to Santiago was just a bit less bad than a nightmare.:eek:

Bedbugs? Not one report anywhere.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bedbugs don't discriminate. They are just as happy at a hotel or B&B as in a hostel.

Oh my yes. Met a man who had walked the whole way from Belgium and booked into a hotel for his first, much deserved, private room of the trip in Villafranca because he was feeling a bit worn down and ... you guessed it...bedbugs. I could have cried for him. :(

Hi Elle,
You definitely don't need a tour company, but you might want one. There's no right and wrong about it either way.

I've never used one but I've talked with people who have as I've walked. The upside is that you have your room bookings and sometimes at least one meal a day taken care of. The downside could be that you have to walk whatever distance each day that is set by the tour company. I'm sure they work hard to accommodate everyone's needs but obviously there has to be a plan.

I have talked with two older, female bikers from England who had a horrible experience with their tour company because they couldn't keep up and they didn't have time to just stop and enjoy things. Hopefully that's an exception, but it does stress the importance of being very clear about distances etc., when determining which one to use.

I'm biased, but walking at one's own pace is wonderful! Whatever you decide, make it a big and fun adventure! Make it your adventure and do it however it works best for you. Congratulations!! It's a great decision. make it work the best way possible for you.

Hi Elle, For a bunch of boring reasons, I booked my self-guided full Camino Frances through a company called Macs Adventure out of Glasgow. They organised all accommodation and baggage transfers. I carried a 6kilo daypack. Support was supplied by a great local Spanish company called Teetravel www.tee-travel.com I called them a few times with various problems and I spoke with someone in English each time. Their support was first rate. Teetravel might organise everything for you directly for a better price. In fact, I learned early on that my whole trip had been farmed out to Teetravel.

Booking all my accommodation in advance did cause some pressure because it's very inflexible. Bookings are locked, especially at busy times, so you just have to get to the next stop. One time I had walked about 18kms, had dawdled taking too many photos, had 10kms to go. It got to be 6:30pm and it started to rain. I called Teetravel and they organised a taxi for me. I factored in a few days off but would have preferred more, especially in bad weather when all my gear got wet.

Over a shortish distance, I expect that a locked schedule is not as inconvenient as over 800kms.

Sarria to Santiago is very well signposted and there are lots of walkers to follow. This section of The Camino is more populated and "civilised" than most but there was plenty of good food and beautiful country. I had walked through a very wet Meseta, this final 100kms was sunny and warm and I loved it.

My next trip will be shorter (400kms) and I'll allow a day off each 7 days. I've decided that I won't walk more than 15 to 20kms per day. I walked an average of 22kms per day over 800kms on my recent (first) Camino Frances. Some days were 30kms. Some folks can manage that without too much effort but I found it a grind towards the end.

I walked with a couple from Burgos to Leon who could only be away from family commitments for a limited time. This had been their 3rd section of their Camino over a few years. I walked with another man from O Cebreiro to Santiago. Two old guys, a mathematician and an artist, talking psychology, poetry, architecture, etc., as you do. All these folks were always fresher and quicker than I as I had been walking for weeks before meeting them.

Buen Camino, - Mike

P.S., Don't apologise. Time stretches out a lot if you don't measure it so diligently. You watch the beauty, let others watch the clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If all you can do are the last 100 kms I'll say to that....BRAVO!! Please go and have a great time and experience the Camino. NO need whatsoever of a guided tour. The Camino is incredibly well marked, there are hundreds of posted guides with lodging suggestions, and the same for baggage transport options if that is what you decide to do.

That said, it was MY experience that the Camino changed a bit for me at least the last 3-4 days of walking (After Arzua). In which ways? As follows:

1. More crowded, which did not bother me, but it took away from the opportunities for quiet reflection, one of the joys of pilgrimage.
2. The cyclists zoomed by much more carelessly and disrespectfully of walking pilgrims.
3. Many locals seemed more jaded, annoyed by Pilgrims, and, plain ornery and rude.
4. It becomes more of a race to the albergues (again, due to crowds).
5. More Spaniards, which it can go both ways: more enjoyable (most Spaniards on the Camino are a happy, chatty bunch), but also they can behave a bit territorial of albergues, bars, and facilities.
6. The Camino is much more urbanized.
7. The food got worse, much worse.

Again, my experience. I would not go back to the last 100 Kms if I have the choice. I am considering another Camino (Via de la Plata, Primitivo or Norte) , but would not want to walk again that section.

I've walked 450 miles of it, but I've done the last 100k twice in groups with two different companies from England, Ramblers Holidays and HF Holidays. HF was more expensive but the food was much better! I have stayed in municipal albergues and in hotels. It was in a rather posh hotel that I met the dreaded bedbugs. Someone told me that when a very posh hotel in London is "closed for refurbishment" they're getting rid of the bedbugs. Nowhere is safe!

This June in the last 100km we came across an Amercian group who had in their midst some Dominican nuns of very advanced years. They were taking 10 days and staying in Lugo (I think) for 5 days and Santiago for the other 5 days and being bused each day to where they left off the day before. If I get to 84 and can walk like that I shall be most unChristian in my comments if anyone criticises me as a tourist pelegrina!! Carole diem!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Nor do we want to be on the trail for months so please try to overlook our enthusiasm and excitement when you see us join you worn down walkers. I am not asking you hardcore folks, I am asking other people who may have just done the 100k
While there may be some judgement among Members, perhaps it is equally unfair to judge them because they do not provide ready assistance to those who appear to desire a pilgrimage without inconvenience. They simply may not be interested in being mistaken for a travel agency (agencies abound and make a living making arrangements providing services to tourists and pilgrims alike, a living that volunteer information providers and volunteer hospitaleros alike do not expect). Friendly advice is the hallmark of the Forum, and being defensive about asking for a bit more advice does not seem to me to be in the spirit of what is readily given. I suspect all of your questions could be answered by reading the millions of words contained on this site, and no one would even know you needed to be judged because no one would know you were reading. It may be true that you open yourself to judgement by announcing that you don't want to be judged. No lurker has even been judged, though.

Of course, I could be wrong! :)

Welcome Elle, do try to see Samos (a short walk before Sartia). Very pretty. And for accommodations, dorms aren't for everyone but some private albergues have private and semi private rooms. Sort of best of both worlds with common rooms and sometimes shared meals but more private sleeping arrangements.
Enjoy and remember it is your Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome to the forum! 100 km is no small distance. You will be challenged on many levels and will have a tough walk and a great time! As I recall it is quite steep leaving Sarria and there were a lot of excited pilgrims starting their Caminos and some road weary pilgrims too. If you smile and look them in the eye when you greet them you can't tell the difference.

I had someone pretty special that was considering walking the last 100 with me, but the cancer did not allow it. We would have been slow. We would have had to ship the bags forward. But I would have treasured ever so much that walk with that special person then the SJPP by myself.

If someone judges, it is their problem, not yours.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - we walked from Sarria the first time and then from Lugo the following year and both times booked accomodation using Macs Adventures. They sent all the information including the Brierly guide in advance and will transport your bags if required. We also travelled from Burgos last year and still lacking confidence we used a tour operator New Experience. The accommodation was great and they will transport bags too if needed although we carried our own.
Next time we will go under our own steam as we have looked at the albergues and they look great.
Do whatever is comfortable for you and just enjoy the experience - no doubt you will be bitten by the camino bug!

"let me apologize in advance but we are only interested in doing the last 100km. I know that makes many of you upset.."

This saddens me that a new member would start her first post like this.
I know it is not true of the great folks on this forum, but it is a newbie's perception.

Elle, my wife and I did our first Camino from Sarria to Santiago, using private lodgings. It was and is special to both of us.
And our favorite section.
I encourage you to go with an open mind and an open heart. And booking.com. ;)
Expect rain.
Buen Camino.

Elle, Another P.S. - I walked early this year so the weather was cooler, The Camino much less crowded than it would have been later in the year. Not a single bedbug, generally too cool for them I guess. Embarrassingly posh hotels in the bigger towns, but mostly rather modest. It was cold in the mornings most of the way but great for walking. I met a group frequently over 3 weeks or so who were staying in most of the same accomm. as I was. They booked ahead every day or two. This flexibility might not be possible during busier times. I will book my own accomm. in future depending on the season.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I really don't know why you would feel judged. If you only have two weeks then that's all you have. Make the most of it. No one is standing on the side of the road with a clipboard in hand stating that you are not a pilgrim because you do 100km at a time.
Just take the time you have and enjoy the journey.
You may want to look into staying at privately own pensions. They will give you the flavor of the hostile experience. I believe that you can find a list of them on the forum. Use the forum for information with regards to how to protect yourself against bed bugs.
Travel the road at your own pace, and book ahead when you can. Be open to other pilgrims who are on the road with you. You might find out that they may only have two weeks to spend walking as well. Buen Camino.

Elle , relax, CONGRATULATIONS on deciding to walk the Camino, anyone judging, ignore them ! Your Camino is your Camino, you will love it, I've walked Tui to SdP twice , stayed in Albergues, Private Hostals, Hotels, Tents, on the sand , and loved it, hope you do too Buen Camino
Ps You'll have time to linger if you take two weeks

.........Just take the time you have and enjoy the journey.
You may want to look into staying at privately own pensions. They will give you the flavor of the hostile experience.
Is this really what you meant?!:confused: The poor OP is trying to avoid the very thing. :D
BTW Elle, I found some of the most beautiful sections of the Francés were between Sarria and Santiago. Go and enjoy. :)

I did the 104 k with Nativa travel in 2012 and liked it so much am returning again this year. Arthritis and diabetes would not allow me to do it all .

We loved the inns we stayed at and the arrangements were super. So we are using Nativa again and I am bringing a group of friends with us.

It's a great experience and you will enjoy it to the full.

Buen Camino

While there may be some judgement among Members, perhaps it is equally unfair to judge them because they do not provide ready assistance to those who appear to desire a pilgrimage without inconvenience. They simply may not be interested in being mistaken for a travel agency (agencies abound and make a living making arrangements providing services to tourists and pilgrims alike, a living that volunteer information providers and volunteer hospitaleros alike do not expect). Friendly advice is the hallmark of the Forum, and being defensive about asking for a bit more advice does not seem to me to be in the spirit of what is readily given. I suspect all of your questions could be answered by reading the millions of words contained on this site, and no one would even know you needed to be judged because no one would know you were reading. It may be true that you open yourself to judgement by announcing that you don't want to be judged. No lurker has even been judged, though.

Of course, I could be wrong! :)
No, you're not.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've just returned from my camino...Sarria to Santiago. I used CaminoWays to organize my trip. I broke it down to complete it in 8 days...plenty of time. Walked anywhere from 7-12 mikes a day which was just right for me. It wasn't easy walking with what I considered 2 days from hell. It was enough that I was able to push myself beyond my comfort, but enough to enjoy myself too. CaminoWays prebooked the pensions which were very nice. By hind sight though, its easy enough to book those yourself. They arranged a Pilgrims meal each night and a breakfast in the morning. The only thing I felt missing by NOT staying in the albuegues is the companionship of fellow travelers. We were pretty isolated in our private rooms and didn't get to interact much with others. We met a few on the trail and enjoyed their company greatly. I must say though, I was so challenged by the walk that it was difficult to converse while walking. And my biggest complaint was the crowds of young people what would overtake me along the way at times. Loud, obnoxious and fast! I almost got knocked to the ground a couple of times, and then the cyclists who you can't hear coming up behind you. I sure appreciated those who had bells. CaminoWays arranged our luggage transport each day so we could just carry a daypack, and I appreciated that so much. What I experienced was just enough for me, I could't manage anything more. My most sincere kudos to those who do the entire 500+ mikes, I admire you all so much...but those days sadly are behind me. My advise would be to go and enjoy all of it. Stop and enjoy all the wildflowers, sit down often whenever you can find a seat, and treasure each day, they do go by fast.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry but 100ks even walking slowly is 5 days not 2 weeks. I am in Santiago having just finished from St Jean approx 800 ks . Not a hardcore walker just a 70 year old who smokes and drinks.
I have no problem with people doing whatever they feel comfortable with but why the questions ? What you are doing is really a very easy weeks walk and you will have plenty of time to stop and see whatever interests you.
Please just don't come into Santiago larding it up and talking loudly about the mammoth walk you've just done !

Sorry but we don't all walk in just 5 days. For me it was 100kms in 9 days. Time to walk at own speed, stop when needed, explore places etc. If some-one wants to take 2 weeks then why not? If others want to walk it in 5 or even 4 days then that is their choice, but it would not be mine. Maybe why the OP feels that the issue is pre-judged by some. I hope that the OP can take as long as needed and find the accommodation that suits too.

€46,-
3.5 kms per hour is a pretty comfy pace. That's almost exactly 29 hours for 100kms. Flowers smell OK at night but not as intoxicating as when they're warmed by the sun. Also, it's kind of hard to find them in the dark. Night vision goggles could work.

Or you could just have a lovely time. And avoid all those who are sarcastic or insecure. And you could seek out the company of the good.

Last edited by a moderator:
My comments in bold within the quote.

let me apologize in advance but we are only interested in doing the last 100km.

No need to apologize for what you want to do or can do.

I know that makes many of you upset but we simply can't afford to be away for more than a couple weeks.

Why/how would you "know" that this makes many here upset? That is an odd way to start.

If you have 2 weeks, you can use one week to do a very leisurely walk to Santiago and the second can be lying on the beach in Finisterre.

Nor do we want to be on the trail for months so please try to overlook our enthusiasm and excitement when you see us join you worn down walkers.

If you were on the trail for months, you would definitely be doing an impressive, long walk. The Frances should take just over one month. As with any social interaction, if you join fresh or worn-down walkers, it is how you present yourself......others aren't there for your amusement or entertainment. Everyone has their reason for being their and some will want to chat but others may not. Believe it or not, it's not all about you.

I am not asking you hardcore folks, I am asking other people who may have just done the 100k...is there anything I need to be on the watch for?

Again, the judgement in a first posting gives a perception of attitude.....rightly or wrongly. I have no idea if you are labelling me as "hardcore" but I will answer anyways since I do not consider myself to be "hardcore" regardless of anyone else's judgement.

The main thing that you have to watch for in that 100km is being sprayed by poop. Literally sprayed with a fine mist of aerosol pooh. It happened to us walking by a farm field and it happened 4 years later to our son.

Anything I need to know?

Whether you are doing 100 km or 800 km, the first 100 km is the hardest. So, congratulations, you are doing the hardest part of a walk!

We booked everything ahead ourselves and stayed in hostel/hotel/b&b type places. Very few albergues. Just our preference. Someone else used Macs and I had encountered others who used them and liked the experience. However, many were surprised at the level of organized infrastructure along the Camino, and many said they would have been comfortable booking themselves, had they know this ahead of time.

We are also not sleeping in hostels with bedbugs and lice...pass.

As with everything else in life.....you can choose who you sleep with. However, bedbugs do not discriminate on price. Check the beds, bring permethrin. I haven't heard about lice on the camino.

Walk or bike?

If you have two weeks and you bike, then you will have about 2 or 3 days to get to Santiago and another 12 or 13 days of leisure elsewhere. Someone else mentioned a minimum of 200km if you bike, for a compostela. I didn't know that.

The Camino Police in each village will force you to move on. No dilly-dallying!

Just kidding.....it's your Camino. If you have two weeks to do 100 km, you will be able to look at every little detail that you wish. Have fun and do it....it will be a great experience! If you don't judge others with your expectation of them judging you, things will be socially smoother for you on your walk. In other words, don't start with a negative.

Hi Elle, don't apologize it is your Camino and yours alone.
Wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€83,-

I took my wife and four others on a guided tour of the last 100K last year. They really enjoyed it. We used Marly Camino http://marlycamino.com/

We took their 8 day 'Buen Camino' tour. http://marlycamino.com/camino/buen-camino/

I can't recommend them enough. We stayed in very nice places. We had a excellent guide (he didn't walk with us, but he met us 3 or 4 times each day along the way to ensure we were okay) who tended blisters and many other tasks for us. We had an excellent driver who became a friend as well. We each (or each couple) was given a cell phone for any emergency. I could go on and on. It wasn't my 'cup of tea', but the others (especially the ladies) LOVED it, and I enjoyed being with them.

Buen Camino, and I hope you have a great time however you choose to make this journey.

It is your camino. When I walked in 2010 I was a bit annoyed with car camino travellers. They managed to park around the corner and fill the albergues. This was during the last 100km. Everyone to their own. The last 100km you can book in advance. We all managed to get a bed somewhere and that was early July.

My first Camino experience was with a company called Follow the Camino. I walked Pamplona to Logrono and then Sarria to Santiago. The company booked our accommodations and provided us with instructions on each day. Our luggage was transported daily and we only carried a day pack. It was great service and provided me with the confidence and ability to walk those sectionw of the Camino. It was a challenge to walk the distances daily, I met great people and saw wonderful things. I definitely recommend walking versus biking because you see and feel so much every day but I haven't biked so I can't really compare. Doing my first Camino with booking support was a great way to get started and since I did that, it gave me the confidence to do my second Camino which was the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago on foot with my backpack on my own. Loved both experiences a lot but I would say that the solo trip with my backpack was the best experience for me. Staying in albergues, meeting people along the way and just deciding day to day where I would stop was the best and what I will do for my next Camino experience for sure. I wish you a buen Camino whatever you decide. It will be epic!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Our family of 10 just returned from walking from Sarria to Santiago (June 19 - 24). It was a wonderful experience!! The scenery spectacular, the weather beautiful, and the camaraderie touching. I found the long hauling pilgrims very kind and accepting of us newbies. Of course, we remained respectful and in awe of their already accomplished journey. We were often able to strike up conversations along the way and find out what they would do differently or not if packing their backpack again. Listened to some of their stories and experiences but never tried to talk for too long as we didn't want to disturb their camino. Our compostela credited us 116km from Sarria to Santiago. As others have stated, there are plenty of villages and places to stop and eat and to stay along the way. We did not go through a tour company and I was able to prebook everything myself along the way. I did prebook as we had a family group of 10 ranging in age from 78 to 17 - 3 generations of us - and I didn't want to chance that especially for my 78 year old father. We were able to stop and enjoy some of the villages and churches along the way. Our stages were: Sarria-PortoMarin, PortoMarin - Palas de Rei, Palas de Rei - Melide, Melide - Arzua, Arzua - Pedrouzo, Pedrouzo - Santiago. So, there are two long days to start with then 2 shorter days then two longer days. Having the shorter days in the middle was helpful to allow our bodies to rest. If you time it to arrive in Santiago on a Friday, then you can attend the 7:30pm mass and witness the swinging of the botafumeiro which normally costs 5ooeruos to see yet free to the public during the summer months only on Friday. There is reserved seating for pilgrims but get there no later than 6 or 6:15 to get a seat. This mass was very powerful and a must do if possible. Happy planning!

Elle,

We have limited time, likewise, and have opted to walk the Sarria to Santiago segment plus a day hike from Muxia to Finisterre. We will not be utilizing a tour company nor sending baggage ahead each day. We have booked rooms at small hotels and B&B's. I used Booking.Com for the most part to book the rooms. Apparently hotels and B&B's are somewhat scarce as many already have limited or no availability for next May, at least through the booking sites. Some or all may well hold back rooms for those who contact them directly. Buen Camino!!

Elle,

We have limited time, likewise, and have opted to walk the Sarria to Santiago segment plus a day hike from Muxia to Finisterre. We will not be utilizing a tour company nor sending baggage ahead each day. We have booked rooms at small hotels and B&B's. I used Booking.Com for the most part to book the rooms. Apparently hotels and B&B's are somewhat scarce as many already have limited or no availability for next May, at least through the booking sites. Some or all may well hold back rooms for those who contact them directly. Buen Camino!!
I meant to mention that we will be hiking the Sarria to Santiago segment in five days.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is this really what you meant?!:confused: The poor OP is trying to avoid the very thing. :D
BTW Elle, I found some of the most beautiful sections of the Francés were between Sarria and Santiago. Go and enjoy. :)
In my opinion, while it is true that OP is trying to advoid the albergue experience I was trying to suggest that OP might open up to private pensions. They are small, clean ( for the most part ), and have a little more privacy. I am sure that you would agree that private pensions give a different experience than the municipals. If op is trying to avoid bed bugs by going to hotels and not hostels, I would guess that these little critters can be found anywhere, even in the most expensive hotels. :)

In my opinion, while it is true that OP is trying to advoid the albergue experience I was trying to suggest that OP might open up to private pensions. They are small, clean ( for the most part ), and have a little more privacy. I am sure that you would agree that private pensions give a different experience than the municipals. If op is trying to avoid bed bugs by going to hotels and not hostels, I would guess that these little critters can be found anywhere, even in the most expensive hotels. :)
I am sure that no matter where the OP stays, whether municipal or private albergue, casa rural, expensive hotel or hostel, she will be looking for a pleasant experience and not a hostile one. :)

I am sure that no matter where the OP stays, whether municipal or private albergue, casa rural, expensive hotel or hostel, she will be looking for a pleasant experience and not a hostile one. :)
@Icacos:
My ipad frequently engages in creative spelling (hostel; hostal; hostile). It is a truly 21st century creation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I have just finished the whole thing, didn't take months!

The last 100km was by far the worst part. Super crowded, lots of huge school parties taking over the albergues.

I'd honestly consider doing another section.

€60,-
Spaniards experiencing Spain. I try to remember who is the guest! The kids are great if you take time to interact; one in ten will speak English, though they all study it and often understand it. :)

That is exactly what Beth and I talked about on our walk this morning. We had some great interactions with youngsters wanting to use their English, and Spaniards and foreigners. A 'Buen Camino' and a word about the weather is about all it takes to make a new friend.

Attachments

• 20141017_nikon_spain_0286.jpg
    20141017_nikon_spain_0286.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 20
I have just finished the whole thing, didn't take months!

I remember the first time I asked a peregrino if he was doing the 'whole thing'. He said he was still trying to figure out what the whole thing is. Twice he started from his front door in Germany, but that it did not seem far enough.
That was the last time I asked anyone about how far they had walked.
BTW, that was in Portomarin.

I think all the same advice would apply to the 100-km pilgrims as to longer walkers. Either way, people typically walking 15-25 km days and make accommodation choices based on their preferences. Pack light, wear comfortable shoes that you have broken in, make sure your back pack fits right, be prepared for a range of weather, be respectful, manage expectations, etc. There is lots of information here on the forum - about biking versus walking, alternative accommodation, bedbugs, (but not much about lice), pros and cons of organized tours. You didn't mention where you are from or when you might go, so its hard to know where to start.
I don't think you need a tour company, but that would depend on how you personally like to travel. Is that what you were wondering when you asked

Of course, you get to stop and look around unless you are on a forced march! Many of us prefer to keep our options very open and that is why we don't book in advance.

Maybe one different piece of advice for the 100-km pilgrims would be not to judge the worn-down pilgrims and assume they will be hostile!;)
I was replying to many forum comments that were saying not very nice things about the "clean, fresh faced" walkers that jump on the trail at Sarria, full of enthusiasm and chatty.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was replying to many forum comments that were saying not very nice things about the "clean, fresh faced" walkers that jump on the trail at Sarria, full of enthusiasm and chatty.
Yes, but I'm sure you also saw many posts giving the opposite view, and pointing out that the fresh clean faces are not really the problem. The sheer crowds and the associated problems are the issue. The crowds include everybody who is approaching Santiago, from any distance! Many many members of the forum have walked just 100 km or 200 km or whatever, or did their first camino for a short distance.

If a walker is feeling tired and introspective, he or she might get a bit annoyed with loud/chatty crowds. That grumpiness can hopefully be put into perspective later. Even discussing our reactions here on the forum can bring tolerance and better awareness for the next time!

I understand what you were probably feeling when you wrote your first post, and maybe "the best defense is a good offense." But I didn't react positively to your assumption that we would be harshly critical, and also to your rejection of comments from "hardcore folks," whoever they are. Hurt feelings can go both ways! :(

You've probably had a chance to read more about the camino options now, so you might have some more specific questions that we can help you with.:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just got home from walking the Frances from St. Jean to Muxia yesterday. I got a lot of helpful advice from this forum, but a couple of take-aways I took from the forum didn't end up jiving with my experience.

One was that there is a big, obvious difference between people who start in Sarria and those who start farther back on the trail. The only thing I noticed on that last stretch before Santiago was a few much larger tour groups walking together. (I myself prefer to walk alone or with a couple of people at most. You see and experience a lot more of your surroundings, not being with a group I think.) Other than that, I didn't really differentiate the longer vs shorter walkers or see any judgment or superiority dances being done by longer walkers.

I thought crowding would be a big problem and that it would be hard to get a bed. Even after Sarria, I often had the trail to myself, by simply letting groups pass or going ahead of them. Sometimes I called ahead to reserve a bed (you can have somebody working in the bar to do this for you if you don't speak Spanish), but even when I didn't, I didn't have any problems. It helps to stop walking a little earlier, too.

I assumed, from some of what I read here, that I would want to take breaks from staying in albergues or even to avoid them altogether. But in my experience, almost all of them were clean, tidy and well organized and I had no problem staying in albergues. No sign of bedbugs (and it's not that hard to look for evidence of them). When I did stay in a single room, I kind of missed the albergues.

I would definitely strongly recommend walking. Bicyclists end up taking the pavement much of the time and missing some beautiful parts of the trail. The bicyclists who do take the trail are slowed and hindered by walkers and - from my perspective as a walker - some bicyclists can be a nuisance at best, startling you as they pass (without any advance bell or warning) and some can pose a big danger to walkers as they speed up from behind. I saw one clip the heels of a walker and I barely escaped being hit by one at least twice. Sorry, but that's *my* judgment.

And also, absolutely you can and should stop in small villages along the way. I actually did feel a subtle peer pressure to walk long distances every day but the few times I did, I didn't see as much and didn't enjoy myself as much.

Have a great Camino.

I don't know anything about specific tour companies, but I did meet some people on tour who were not happy. Here were the problems they told me. The group would stop at specific places for lunch, the food could be almost gone when the slower ones got there. The starting times were late in the morning (10 am) which doesn't work well if you are an early riser. The accommodations booked were well off the camino, perhaps a 45 minute drive each way. The dinners started at 8 at night. If you are a fast walker and know ahead of time that these other things wouldn't bother you a tour could work out. It isn't hard to walk on your own, you could make reservations at private accommodations yourself, and use correos or Jacotrans to ship your pack ahead. However, I understand that with short time and busy schedules you might not want to do that. If you use a tour, please ask questions about the kind of things I mention here. The people I met who were unhappy were from several different tours and were not liking their experience.
THANK you so much! Really good info, I will add them to my list of questions I ask them.
Hi Elle,

My wife and I walked from Sarria a couple of months ago and it was great. You'll pass through lots of nice villages and towns and there are loads of accommodation options. We stayed in B&B / small hotels. Personally I would walk. The slower pace suits me. Why rush.

As for 'forging ahead' it depends on how long you have. We made it 'last' 8 days :oops:
Thank you for your reply, how many km's was that a day doing it in 8 days?

My comments in bold within the quote.
You completely misunderstood me. I has spent a long time going through posts on here and man, there were a LOT of people making negative comments about people only doing the 110km's it was really getting me down. The way these "seasoned camino walkers" (sorry if using hardcore was offending you) were writing was that, everyone should carry their own backpack, stay in hostels, not use tours, not hitch a ride and not get in the way of them when we just jumped on at Sarria.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think the majority of the criticism of the walkers starting from Sarria is directed at the one's who are on and off the busses and taxi's. It's your pilgrimage, start where ever you like but don't cheat to get your Compestella, everybody knows the rules. We met a lot of pilgrims starting from Sarria and we thought no less of them.
Yeah, I don't get the point of doing this if you are going to be jumping on and off a van/taxi BUT to each their own, not for me to judge. Thank you for your comment.

Hi Elle, For a bunch of boring reasons, I booked my self-guided full Camino Frances through a company called Macs Adventure out of Glasgow. They organised all accommodation and baggage transfers. I carried a 6kilo daypack. Support was supplied by a great local Spanish company called Teetravel www.tee-travel.com I called them a few times with various problems and I spoke with someone in English each time. Their support was first rate. Teetravel might organise everything for you directly for a better price. In fact, I learned early on that my whole trip had been farmed out to Teetravel.

Booking all my accommodation in advance did cause some pressure because it's very inflexible. Bookings are locked, especially at busy times, so you just have to get to the next stop. One time I had walked about 18kms, had dawdled taking too many photos, had 10kms to go. It got to be 6:30pm and it started to rain. I called Teetravel and they organised a taxi for me. I factored in a few days off but would have preferred more, especially in bad weather when all my gear got wet.

Over a shortish distance, I expect that a locked schedule is not as inconvenient as over 800kms.

Sarria to Santiago is very well signposted and there are lots of walkers to follow. This section of The Camino is more populated and "civilised" than most but there was plenty of good food and beautiful country. I had walked through a very wet Meseta, this final 100kms was sunny and warm and I loved it.

My next trip will be shorter (400kms) and I'll allow a day off each 7 days. I've decided that I won't walk more than 15 to 20kms per day. I walked an average of 22kms per day over 800kms on my recent (first) Camino Frances. Some days were 30kms. Some folks can manage that without too much effort but I found it a grind towards the end.

I walked with a couple from Burgos to Leon who could only be away from family commitments for a limited time. This had been their 3rd section of their Camino over a few years. I walked with another man from O Cebreiro to Santiago. Two old guys, a mathematician and an artist, talking psychology, poetry, architecture, etc., as you do. All these folks were always fresher and quicker than I as I had been walking for weeks before meeting them.

Buen Camino, - Mike

P.S., Don't apologise. Time stretches out a lot if you don't measure it so diligently. You watch the beauty, let others watch the clock.
Thank you, Mike, for understanding what I was trying to say. You have helped me quite a bit. Some of these people on here can be pretty disheartening. It's the web, I should have known better. ;)

Sorry but we don't all walk in just 5 days. For me it was 100kms in 9 days. Time to walk at own speed, stop when needed, explore places etc. If some-one wants to take 2 weeks then why not? If others want to walk it in 5 or even 4 days then that is their choice, but it would not be mine. Maybe why the OP feels that the issue is pre-judged by some. I hope that the OP can take as long as needed and find the accommodation that suits too.
Oh THAT's what I wanted to hear...100km's in 9 days! That is what I feel I want to do, I do everything you said but I wasn't reading that in a lot of the forums~ Thank you!

This June in the last 100km we came across an Amercian group who had in their midst some Dominican nuns of very advanced years. They were taking 10 days and staying in Lugo (I think) for 5 days and Santiago for the other 5 days and being bused each day to where they left off the day before. If I get to 84 and can walk like that I shall be most unChristian in my comments if anyone criticises me as a tourist pelegrina!! Carole diem!!
I met those sisters too! Very nice indeed! Two of them asked me to reassure them that there was a bar upcoming in the next kilometer or two because they desperately needed a coca-cola! (There was! A bar that is!) They seemed to be really enjoying the whole experience.

A few suggestions:
Take it easy on yourselves for the first couple of days and pay close attention to your feet. Attend to any hot spots right away. You can still mangle your feet quite nicely in a 100 km walk or even a 15 km walk.
If you are worried about over-crowding, as you probably know, there are other options than Sarria as a starting point for a 100 km walk to a compostela in Santiago including: starting in Muxia or Finisterra (you'd be walking against the arrows which might be difficult); starting in the old Roman city of Lugo and walking the last bit of the Camino Primitivo before joining the Camino Frances in Melide; starting in Oviedo and walking the last bit of the Camino Sanabres; starting on the Spanish/Portuguese border in either Valença or Tui and walking the last bit of the Camino Portuguese or, starting in Ferrol and walking the Camino Ingles (and there are other possibilities as well, I'm sure).
If you are starting in Sarria you could consider an easy first day and stop at Casa Barbadelo (http://www.barbadelo.com/en/index.htm) which is a combination albergue and hotel. Very modern with a bar and restaurant on the premises and a nice swimming pool out back. There are private rooms plus an albergue block so there will be a mixture of pilgrims. Casa Morgade (http://casamorgade.gal/#services), a bit further along, is similar (but without the pool) and one of my favourite places to stay.
Don't forget to pick up some Arzua cheese in Arzua....okay, you can also get it in the municipal market in Santiago. I'm eating a bit of it right now as I type. Really, really nice!
Hope you have a great walk!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For my first Camino I had been invited by a friend who had arranged everything through Rayo Travel. It wasn't a tour--you walk on your own. But they arranged all the transport to and from the Camino, hotels, and luggage transfers--and we got a USB stick with maps and all sorts of information. We tailored our own trip based on our preferences about distance per day, total distance, and standard of accommodation (not albergues but CRs , Pensiones and hotels).
Rayo did a super job and they were wonderful folks.

Even though I now vastly prefer carrying my things, staying in albergues, and spontaneously arranging my own logistics, this was a great introduction to the Camino. Now I know how easy it is to take care of all the logistics myself--but that first trip it gave me the courage to strike out on my own on subsequent walks.

Last edited:

Hi Elle, I did the Sarria to Santiago stage in May this year, because it was literally a last minute arrangement, and all I had time for. I thought, beforehand, that I would be "deprived" because I had only 7 days for walking, then 2 days in Santiago, but truly, I believe each person gets exactly what is perfect for him/her: it was one of the best experiences of my life, and two months later, it still feels life-changing.
I did NOT feel judged in the least by others who had done longer routes. (One did tell me, humorously, that they could tell the new pilgrims joining at Sarria because of their happy enthusiasm, their habit of taking photos, and their nice clean shoes!)
I chose to not pre-book for accommodation anywhere except for Sarria: this worked out well for me - (although did result in having to walk an extra 3 hours on one occasion when I thought I had already reached exhaustion point - no, it turned out I hadn't reached that point after all! - to find a vacancy) and living in trust day to day was a big challenge that suited me fine - but in the busier months I would certainly consider booking in advance. I alternated between hostels (no bedbugs, no lice!) and cheap hotels.
I allowed 7 days to walk from Sarria to Santiago, because I wanted to "go with the flow", and I walked 13-22 kms per day. This allowed me to take extra time here and there, and a wonderful detour was the ancient church Vila de Donas, which was one of the highlights of my Camino: beautiful simplicity, and the most wonderful "energy" felt inside the church.
My only "problem" was a pack that was way too heavy, and I posted excess items to Ivar from Portomarin and Melide - his left luggage service is a godsend.
My suggestions: Pack as light as you can, go at your own pace, know that you are just as much a pilgrim as anyone else, and remember that your pilgrimage starts (historically) from the moment you leave your front door - and, if you like, ends when you walk back through your front door. It's all "pilgrimage". Buen Camino!

THANK you so much! Really good info, I will add them to my list of questions I ask them.

Thank you for your reply, how many km's was that a day doing it in 8 days?

I am almost embarrassed to reply :oops:

As Pat is not really a walker and had Plantaar Faciitis we started off really easy. 7-8 kms on day 1. Then built up a couple of kms each day, doing 16 kms by the end. It worked really well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To add to my earlier post:

I was very miserable when I just started out in Sarria because of a problem with my brand-new backpack, and also because I had two much in it! I eventually stopped two pilgrims who were actually on their honeymoon, it turned out, and had started out at SJDP - and asked if they could help adjust my back-pack (hint: get used to your back-pack, full, before leaving home!) - not only did they help me, but the guy carried some of my excess stuff from Sarria to Portomarin for me! He would have continued to carry the excess, but I posted it ahead from Portmarin. He and his wife were absolutely earth-angels for me, companioning me for the first 2 days till I "found my feet", and would still have been happy for me to stay with them for longer, had I chosen to. They deliberately walked slower than their normal pace for me, kept checking if I was ok (I found the first two days very challenging physically) - and not only was I never judged by them for "only" doing the last 100 kms, they kept encouraging me, and making me feel good about myself.

Another tip: if there is the slightest hint of foot discomfort (a bit of grit, a hot spot, whatever) can I beg you, from personal experience, to stop immediately and attend to it, to avoid it turning into a potentially major problem.

Regarding walking vs cycling: as I can't even ride a bike, it wouldn't have been my choice! But I did observe that there were sections between Sarria and Santiago that were very physically challenging for cyclists - and as cyclists need to do at least 200 km to get their Compostella, in my opinion they have quite a tough time! And on the easier parts, when they go whizzing by, they wouldn't have been able to really enjoy the scenery because of their speed... Still, each to their own. By the way, I found almost all the cyclists quite polite and safe in the way they passed me, so I was fortunate.

There were a number of largish groups of pilgrims when I walked in May, and I wanted to have a mostly solitary and silent pilgrimage, but it really was not a problem. I just smiled or said Hola or Buen Camino as I walked by (or, more to the point, as they walked by - I walked very slowly!) and had some really nice conversations in passing - but overall I got my wish for solitude, in spite of the relative busyness of the Sarria-Santiago stage.

Once again, Buen Camino, Elle - and everyone!

I walked the Camino Ingles, 118km app, in June, with my wife and two friends. Very few people, nowhere near as busy as the Sarria section, but physically harder. We met a fellow pirlgrim who had used a tour organiser, and he stayed in the same places we booked direct. The difference was that he had a prilgrim's menu each night, and we had to have the general menu. We piggy backed as his guests a couple of times.
IMO the Ingles is better for quiet contemplation than the Sarria section, if that's needed.

I just returned from my first Camino - Sarria to Santiago in 5 days. We had luggage transfer and stayed in hotels along the way. It was all arranged by a company called Spain is More and they did a incredibly good job of organizing and we did not find it expensive. It was seamless and easy and all we had to do was walk, (including one 20 mile day). I found the walk to be challenging - but felt so good to have done it! 116 km is a good achievement! Have fun~

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've just returned from 2 weeks on the CF from Ponferrada to SdC (208km). We booked with CaminoWays.com, as this was our first Camino and our first trip to Spain. My wife and I walked the first 100km to Sarria together and then were joined by family friends from Sarria to SdC. The trip went very well! The bookings and transfers with Camino Ways were all good. Some, in fact, were superb! The disadvantage of booking with a tour is that you are bound to a set number of km between the booked accommodation. There were places that we might have stopped in, but this was not a serious issue for us. We are somewhat adventurous and the variety of accommodation we received went from basic hotel to fine country inn. It depends on the level you choose with them and also the number of days you choose to do the sections, and what's available when you book. We did see a number of Albergues on the walk that were definitely above the level of the hotels we were in too! We enjoyed the variety though. The walking was quite doable! Our longest days were 24 km and the shortest 9km, and by the time we were into our second week, the 24km took about 6-7 hours of walking. Some days we were done by 1pm. We stopped many places for refreshments, to sightsee, get our "sellos" (stamps) and take photographs of the wonderful scenery, countryside, mountains, villages, churches...
The last 100m is much busier than Ponferrada to Sarria, but at times, we felt quite alone (one of my videos shows me at km17 completely alone!)
You can see some of our photos, videos and commentary at our blog murraycamino.wordpress.com
Hope you get a chance to go!

Last edited:
Hi Elle,
We have just reached the 100 km marker after 42 days of walking so far. All week we have been meeting new-to-the Camino walkers. They are happy and excited and it is a different mix of folks than we started with. We have met families with young children, school groups, and other groups with more Spaniards than we have met earlier. The walk is rural and beautiful so far from Sarria. Yes they have more pep in their step at this point but are still not immune to blisters or injury. I do think it seems they have more to 'talk' about as they are often chatting away as they pass by. They also take more photos as we did earlier in the journey. They seem in no way less committed to the pilgrimage though.

We stay in mostly Casa Rurals, Pensions, and Hostels now as my husband has a cpap and it was difficult for him to collect his machine parts in the wee hours at albergues with many people. He was very stressed about losing some part which would essentially end his Camino. So about 2 weeks ago we just started getting private rooms where he could turn on the overhead light.

I have found it pretty easy to book just one night ahead. Cost is variable for rooms (30-75 euro depending on the place and amenities) and they are not all available for booking online. Some of our best places have been at smaller family owned casas where a phone call must be made to secure the room. As mentioned above the bar owner can help you call ahead although I have done it myself with halting Spanish and been successful, too.

A few hints we learned-- if you ask for a double room you usually get 2 twin beds. If you are a snuggler like me you should ask for a "matrimonial" bed so you can sleep with your 'Honey'. Sometimes the owner is delighted because the matrimonial beds seem less popular and it leaves a room with two twins for Pilgrims who travel together such as friends or family without romantic ties.

I am sure you will have a lovely time, but do remember that it is hard walking each day. Even after 42 days my feet and legs hurt every night. Take it easy and listen to your body. Don't try to keep up with someone faster than you. I either ask my husband to walk slower or I walk alone for a while. There are lots of hills which means steep ups and downs.

You'll find what is right for you. Most people do.

One thing I noticed with the last 100km is a lot less people say 'buen camino'! I suppose the walkers who have came from further back are a bit tired of saying it.

Actually, that is not our experience. We've been treated to a huge chorus of greetings by families, school children, etc. Of course my husband is Phil the friendly pilgrim and greets everyone. He can actually say very little in Spanish so when someone tries to strike up a real conversation he feels a little lost. Today a Spaniard summoned his young daughter who spoke some English so they could talk. It was an awesome walk into Melide with the whole Spanish family chatting away with us.

I remember the first time I asked a peregrino if he was doing the 'whole thing'. He said he was still trying to figure out what the whole thing is. Twice he started from his front door in Germany, but that it did not seem far enough.
That was the last time I asked anyone about how far they had walked.
BTW, that was in Portomarin.
We were in Larrasoana our second night in 2014 staying in a nice Spanish woman's house along with a German couple. They told us during dinner that they had locked their doors in Munich and had been walking for three months already and loved the fact that all they had to think about was " how far do I want to walk today ".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One thing I noticed with the last 100km is a lot less people say 'buen camino'! I suppose the walkers who have came from further back are a bit tired of saying it.
My wife and I experienced much the same thing, but were determined to continue offering the greeting to everyone who passed us. I expect some people give up after Sarria when they get no response. Up to that point, my wife had left making the greeting up to me, but after Sarria seemed determined to offer it herself to other pilgrims as well.

Tired to say "buen camino"? Nope, never, to me it is almost authomatic.
But after Arzúa, especially, people in large, organized groups tended to ignore other walkers and not greet them back. I felt as a stranger in the road, lonely in the middle of a crowd.
On the positive side, we encountered a group of obviously local cylists who where riding in the opposite sense. They apparently were making a point of saying everybody they met "Hello, welcome to Compostela". It was nice.

€46,-
Don't apologize for the actions of rude people, My wife and I walked our Camino, Sarria to Santiago, took 10 days, most pilgrims never asked where we started from, those that did , only a couple, followed up with some sort of remark, we just ignored them, their loss, rained everyday, up hill, down hill, through the mud,,,,,, haha, we had a great time , met a lot of wonderful people, made memorable photos, that we will always cherish, we hope to go back in 1017 , spring or fall, and start in SJPdP , and walk for 2 weeks , and then start and stop 2 weeks at a time . got the Idea from 3 French ladies that we met in Gonzar, that had been doing that for 7 years, I guess this year they made it to Santiago . anyway as one Gent we ran into a few times , BEAN CAMINO,, haha. have a great time, and remember Santiago has been there a long time, take time to smell the flowers and see the sights, it'll be there when you get there.

Don't let it bother you. My first Camino was from Sarria to Santiago and that's when the addiction began. Take your time, enjoy the scenery and say hello to St James for me when you get to Santiago.
I'll be walking from Santiago to Finisterre in September and I'm well prepared to being a little judged from those who have walked further. :)

I've done Sarria to Santiago 2x, once on my own and once with a tour company. When I did it on my own I prebooked my hotels. Just look for hotels in towns along the route, and budget 15-20 km a day. When I did it with a tour company I was a more seasoned walker and was aghast when I saw that they scheduled 30km on one day! The other people in the tour group didn't know any better, so agreed.

So, in my experience, doing it on my own was a better experience. I got to leave when I wanted to, eat where I wanted to, and stop where I wanted to. Trail is very well-marked, and finding hotels was not hard (though book early! They get full with all the tour groups).

The advantage of the tour group is that they do take care of everything, from luggage transfer (i didn't use any when I did it on my own, to meals (though this was a hassle over lunch. I preferred to just be on my own instead of meeting up at a specific point), to a bus that will assist you if you really can't make it. But if you do choose to go with a group (and I think any tour group would be ok. Just a matter of how luxe you want it), make sure that your distances are only 15-20km a day or else you'll be too tired at the end of the day to enjoy.

And as for the "prejudice", i personally did not experience any. The good spirits of the Camino infected everyone, and everyone was just supportive and respectful. It is your Camino and you get to choose how to walk it. Just enjoy and open your heart. :) Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back