• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Final packing question - 3hrs to leaving

angelab

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances June (2017)
I'm doing final backpack packing & have last minute question. Rain trousers, rain jacket, & backpack raincover OR rain jacket/windbreaker & poncho. Not sure how comfy rain trousers are to walk in. Am thinking poncho is quick & easy. Any help much appreciated. Leave for airport in 3 hours! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My personal preference rain jacket/windbreaker & poncho in the warm season plus rain trousers (I find them comfy to walk in) in the colder one. BC SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Poncho, trousers and pack cover. Light fleece for cool evenings, but not shower proof. We carried a fleece-shower jacket this year as we had the car (not walking pilgrims this year) and were glad of the warmth, but would not carry it in summer months.

Gosh , very similar. To my thoughts as my start draws near. I have rain oants and jacket packed but.....

Have heard the pack ponchos. Are great . Many here said too warm for trousers and jacket in summer...hmmmm. I may need to rethink. I also need to cut weight on my pack. I liked th idea of trousers as exta layer should be needed but seems like posts saying that not needed? Even crossing the pyranees on june21. I have two capris and one short packed.
Thoughts?

Crossing the Pyrenees in June. In June 2012 from Orisson to Roncesvalles we had torrential rain and strong winds . My (admittedly cheap) poncho had a strip torn off in the wind! Weather became not only wet but very cold. By the time we arrived at Rincevalles we were like drowned rats.
For the walk up to Orisson the previous day it was sunny and glorious until the hail storm arrived late that afternoon. Of course every June week, every year is not the same

On my various Camino walks I have never taken waterproof trousers.
Poncho yes,
lightweight waterproof jacket yes,
thin fleece yes.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just want to add that not all ponchos are created equal. If you get a decent poncho, say like an Altus or Ferrino (zip front or over-head version) with sewn sides and space for your pack, there should be no need for a rain jacket or pack cover as well, as the poncho will keep you and your pack dry. Poncho+rain trousers is a good combo, and for the days when it isn't actually raining, a thin and light wind jacket (ie Pertex) will take the wind chill off and keep you warm. Flimsy rectangular plastic ponchos with a hole for the head are no use on a Camino apart from as a picnic blanket, and even the better ones with snaps on the sides can/will be ripped open in strong winds.

I'm doing final backpack packing & have last minute question. Rain trousers, rain jacket, & backpack raincover OR rain jacket/windbreaker & poncho. Not sure how comfy rain trousers are to walk in. Am thinking poncho is quick & easy. Any help much appreciated. Leave for airport in 3 hours! :)

Poncho and windbreaker...... but you can always just use the poncho as a windbreaker, too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As well as the good quality poncho I carry my pack cover as it protects the pack in a light shower, and also its contents from the light fingered in some circumstances. Rain has never come through my poncho . The trousers are very light weight and only needed in very heavy rain to keep the water off the poncho running onto my trousers and into my boots, they cover the laces. The boots themselves I can paddle in across puddles :)

Thanks everyone. I bought an Altus poncho in SJPDP. Left the rain trousers behind. It's raining here today & meant to be clear blue skies for tomorrow. I took a perfect day to have a relaxing day in SJPDP :)

Bin the trousers don't need them and the jacket is a must

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.