• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Final prep

Dave C.

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (2016)
SJ to Santo Domingo (2017)
Santo Domingo to Fromista (2018)
SJPdP to Burgos (2019)
Nine days until our departure from Virginia. Sprayed the packs and sleeping bags with permethrin today. Heading to the REI in Richmond in two days for a talk about the Camino from Arn Manella. A couple of last minute items to buy. Cannot wait!! Looks like rain the first few days out of SJPdP, bring it on. I know I am rambling, but we are ready. Hope to meet some of you along the way.
Dave and Holly C.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nine days until our departure from Virginia. Sprayed the packs and sleeping bags with permethrin today. Heading to the REI in Richmond in two days for a talk about the Camino from Arn Manella. A couple of last minute items to buy. Cannot wait!! Looks like rain the first few days out of SJPdP, bring it on. I know I am rambling, but we are ready. Hope to meet some of you along the way.
Dave and Holly C.
Hi Dave and Holly, wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dave and Holly C.
I've got 10 days and a wake up maybe we'll meet on the Camino. :)
Be careful of what you ask for like "rain in Santiago, Bring It On". On the camino you might get what you ask for.. ;) Start out slow, keep your distances short the first week if you can. Walk into your camino.
Buen Camino

I've got 10 days and a wake up maybe we'll meet on the Camino. :)
Be careful of what you ask for like "rain in Santiago, Bring It On". On the camino you might get what you ask for.. ;) Start out slow, keep your distances short the first week if you can. Walk into your camino.
Buen Camino
Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for rain. It shows in the forecast that it will be wet at least the first few days. I am just ready to get started, whatever the conditions. I would much rather it be dry.
The plan is to walk shorter days in the beginning. Probably taking the Valcarlos route with a stop, then to Roncevalles. Once we see how our bodies are doing we will see where we will stop next. Nothing planned.
You have a Buen Camino also!!

It shows in the forecast that it will be wet at least the first few days.
The forecast is very unreliable this far out!! There will be another 4" of snow in the next three days, so the melt, if it occurs, will keep the off-road path muddy and slippery. Have fun regardless of the weather, and buen camino! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As others have said, start off a bit slow. Find your pace. In a few days, your bodies will figure out that you are serious at this game and succumb to your demands--within reason.

Buen Camino!

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for rain. It shows in the forecast that it will be wet at least the first few days. I am just ready to get started, whatever the conditions. I would much rather it be dry.
The plan is to walk shorter days in the beginning. Probably taking the Valcarlos route with a stop, then to Roncevalles. Once we see how our bodies are doing we will see where we will stop next. Nothing planned.

From the climate sites I have visited, for most of the Camino at this time of year, about one third of the days have measurable amounts of rain. That doesn't mean that it will rain heavy all day long. Often times it looks like you might be able to take a break inside and wait out the rain.

I am about a month out from the start of my Camino. I envy you as the excitement is building in me and it is getting harder not to throw my total self into my final preparation.

Buen Camino!

I have 6 days to my flight, 8 days until boots hit the trail. Weather forecasts for the maseta have changed every time I've checked! But so far in my favor with great hiking temps between 6 and 15°C.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dave and Holly C.

Hello Dave & Holly,
I am up in Charles Town, WV right now. Don't really know why, but the fact that you are so close makes your post all the more enjoyable. I pray you both will have a great Camino! Don't buy too much at REI - stay light, keep the wind at your back, and keep taking one more step.

Hello Dave & Holly,
I am up in Charles Town, WV right now. Don't really know why, but the fact that you are so close makes your post all the more enjoyable. I pray you both will have a great Camino! Don't buy too much at REI - stay light, keep the wind at your back, and keep taking one more step.
Thanks for the post!! No worries on the pack weight, just need a ultralight pack cover and a couple more ultra-sil bags.

Have a great time!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Little or nothing planned are the best Caminos. Have fun and be safe. Buen Camino

I bought a neon orange rain coat for my first Camino. I had visions of us walking on streets in pouring rain and I wanted us to be as visible as possible. I wore that raincoat for all of the first 2 1/2 weeks and several times in the weeks that followed. It rains in the Pyrennees and it rains in Galicia. That is just the way it is. I still loved every minute of it! Still, I threw that hideous neon thing away when I got home!

I bought a neon orange rain coat for my first Camino. I had visions of us walking on streets in pouring rain and I wanted us to be as visible as possible. I wore that raincoat for all of the first 2 1/2 weeks and several times in the weeks that followed. It rains in the Pyrennees and it rains in Galicia. That is just the way it is. I still loved every minute of it! Still, I threw that hideous neon thing away when I got home!
I am fine with rain, but lightning is another story. Just hope for the best and go with what we are given.
Thanks for the info.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, my brother lives just outside of Austin, in Marble Falls.

I am fine with rain, but lightning is another story. Just hope for the best and go with what we are given.
Thanks for the info.
I did have a day when we were walking that included lightning strikes near by - and HAIL. Lots of hail. It was cold and there was only one Albergue and we grabbed the last two spots. Three young women came in behind us and were told they had to walk on another 10 km. Later, a young Italian man who was with a group of bikers asked if we would be OK if he snuck in a guy from his group who had not made it in time to get a bed. We said OK, of course. Then he and the guy he snuck in talked and laughed until 3 am - and the stench of their feet was terrible. We actually gagged when they took their shoes off. I asked them over and over again to be silent so we could all sleep in this tiny, cold, wet Albergue and they would just laugh. It was the only bad night I had on the Camino. Even so - we still laugh about that. We each had a little travel spray bottle of bed bug repellant (which I am sure would have had zero effect on bedbugs) that smelled great - of cinnamon - and we grabbed our bottles and started spraying at the exact same moment.
I still don't know what I should have done with my sticks though - in that moment when the lightning was striking so close to us.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sounds like you're good to go. My friend, Bobfir and I will be setting foot on the Camino on the 28th of this month out of St. Jean. Anticipation is building.... Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh, my brother lives just outside of Austin, in Marble Falls.
I love traveling through marble falls on the way down to kerrville! I live up between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Dave and Holly C.

Dear Dave and Holly,

I will be leaving home on the 6th and have a reservation at Orisson for the 11th. I will likely run into you on the Camino.

Buen Camino!

Victoria

Dear Dave and Holly,

I will be leaving home on the 6th and have a reservation at Orisson for the 11th. I will likely run into you on the Camino.

Buen Camino!

Victoria
We probably will see each other. It looks like we may have to take the Valcarlos route due to the weather forecast.
Buen Camino
Dave C.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dave and Holly C.
Don't overplan or overpack. Get your guidebook, 2 or 3 days of clothing, personal hygiene items, electronics, and go. After multiple Caminos I have learned that overplanning is a waste of time. The whole point is to expect, and react to, whatever may happen. As many have said, anything you don't have that you think you need can be obtained along the Way.

Little or nothing planned are the best Caminos. Have fun and be safe. Buen Camino
Amen. Too much planning is a waste of time and can actually be bad for your experience - expectations and all that....

Where are you now? I am in Valcarlos heading for Roncevalles tomorrow
Lori Elgin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dave and Holly C.
Have a wonderful time. Buen Camino!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.