Finding albergues in the winter | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Finding albergues in the winter

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by peregrina2000, Oct 30, 2017.

1. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member Donating Member

Since Kanga just posted about the closure of the Napoleon Route through Orisson, it reminded me that winter pilgrims also need updated news on the status of albergues. I think Reb was the one to introduce us to this website and I know it is a godsend. It is updated regularly, as soon as new info is available. A student of mine walked with his mom and sister last year over the holidays and told me that they would have really been in deep trouble without this. So, winter pilgrims, enjoy and buen camino, Laurie

http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

2. mlhhome

mlhhome Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Various
    It is an opportunity for solitude, but pray for heat (water & dormitories) and blankets. Sleeping bags are an absolute necessity.

katie@camino and HedaP like this.
  3. mspath

mspath Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
    In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks and a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold. Over past caminos the coldest I have ever slept was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

For more tips re sleeping in cold weather see this earlier forum thread.
    https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sleeping-system-for-cold-weather.40968/

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  4. HedaP

HedaP Veteran Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
    Not planning to walk in winter but just in case the opportunity ever arises, what’s the situation with private accommodation in winter? I actually like staying in albergues but every now and then it’s nice to have a big towel night.

katie@camino likes this.
  5. Thomas Hilt

Thomas Hilt New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    walking on monday
    I have done the frances many times and now I am wondering if I should do it again from mid november. Reading all the warnings on this board about all the closed albergues has put me a bit off the idea. But I suddenly remembered that when starting in St. Jean Pied de Port you get a list of accommodation. This list has all the closing and opening dates. I have a copy of this list from october 2017. The list from Amies de chemin says there are albergues open out november and december in Roncevalle, Zubiri, Pamplona, Puenta de la Reina, Estella and the list continues. Many of these cities has many albergues open these months. With all the warnings on this board I am starting to wonder if there is something I do not comprehend. When the big towns and main villages on the camino frances has municipal albergues open, then they are open as normal? I read somewhere online (can't remember where) that the albergue municipale in Viana was listed as open but a policeman had the key and did not show up before late at night to let in the pilgrim. Is this normal practise or will there be hospitalieroes/staff to welcome People in most Places listed as open? As far as I can see there should be sufficient albergues open to do the Camino without any problems, or is there something I do not grasp? I also see that People Write there are very few pilgrims, but when small villages like Zubiri has Three albergues open out november and one of them open out december, then they can not all be empty? (Sorry my first Language is not English).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    HedaP likes this.
  6. C clearly

C clearly Veteran Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances: 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016. Merida-Astorga: Mar 2017.
    It is very important not to assume all albergues will be open! However, you only need one bed each night and that will not be hard to find, with a modest amount of planning each day.;)

HedaP and Thomas Hilt like this.
  7. grayland

grayland Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yes
    I walked the CF in January last year. I was very surprised at the number of pilgrims walking.

The http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno that Laurie posted is an excellent resource to finding open albergues. It is, of course, not completely accurate at all times due to changes by the individual owners and hospitalaros.
    You will also be given a pretty up to date list by the Pilgrim Office in SJPP..if you ask. If you use both lists..you will have a good source of info.
    If you start after St. Jean it may be a good idea to ask other pilgrims if they have the list and then add the differences to your copy of the
    Acogida list above.

There usually was something open everywhere...but I do recall a couple of towns where there were nothing open, including pensions even though the lists indicated there were beds there. It required moving on to the next village so checking ahead is a really good idea.

HedaP, katie@camino and Thomas Hilt like this.
  8. Thomas Hilt

Thomas Hilt New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    walking on monday
    Thank you :)

9. grayland

grayland Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yes
    A few years ago there were few winter pilgrims..thus few albergues found it appropriate to stay open.
    Now...there are enough pilgrims to justify staying open.
    An example is that there were 18 pilgrims in the municipal albergue in mid January when I started in SJPP. They had just one dorm open and it was full. This was common to just have the albergues partially open as the numbers are far fewer than the busy months.

I was the only returning pilgrim out of the 18 in the SJPP muni. The others were all 1st time pilgrims.

jozero, HedaP and Thomas Hilt like this.
  10. jozero

jozero Oh... That's what the shell is for... Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF January 2013
    CF April 2016
    CF January 2018
    Do you think it would be possible to get a copy of the winter list from SJPDP electronically from them to print out while I'm still at home? I'm starting in Roncesvalles in January as my knee has decided day 1 on the Pyrenees isn't a good idea this year but I'd still like to have a copy in hand. I wonder if they would consider adding a page to their website with this important information...?