• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino - Nervous and with questions about the start

HenrikWfMH

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk Camino Frances end of March
My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27.

I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little bit worried about finding my way so I'm a little bit nervous but I hope that it will be ok.

The reason I am doing this is because I have been dealing with some mental issues like depression, anxiety and panic attacks and I feel like i need to do something about it. I read that nature and walking can be one of the best medicines. I plan on walking all the way to Santiago.

I'm not a big social guy and I don't talk that much but I read that there is always other pilgrims on the Camino and it would be nice to have some company on the way. It's a bit harder to organize all on your own and feel confident when your mind is a mess like mine is right now.

I also have a few questions, I hope that's okey.

1. What is the starting point in SJPdP? Is there a certain place where the camino offically starts from the town where pilgrims usually meet up? I looked at some gpx files but they showed two different ways on two different roads out of the town. I think own showed D381 and one showed D333 but it was just a short distance that was different. Mostly just thinking about it because of the potential of starting at the same time as other pilgrims.

2. What time is a good time to start walking? I read 6 AM is a good time to start to make it to Albergues in time.

3. I read a lot about booking in advance. So far I have only booked my night in SJPdP. I checked the Wise pilgrim app and from what I can see most Albergues are not bookable. Like the one in Rocenvalles. Or am I understanding something wrong? Will I be fine not booking and showing up at Albergues if I start walking early?

4. Follow up question. I just recently read about the easter celebrations. Will that be a problem?

I'm sorry if these things have already been discussed and answered elsewhere, I'm not that good at finding my way here yet with all the posts.

Henrik

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My name is Henrik ...

1. What is the starting point in SJPdP? Is there a certain place where the camino offically starts from the town where pilgrims usually meet up? I looked at some gpx files but they showed two different ways on two different roads out of the town. I think own showed D381 and one showed D333 but it was just a short distance that was different. Mostly just thinking about it because of the potential of starting at the same time as other pilgrims.
IMG_20190516_080749779.jpg
2. What time is a good time to start walking? I read 6 AM is a good time to start to make it to Albergues in time.

3. I read a lot about booking in advance. So far I have only booked my night in SJPdP. I checked the Wise pilgrim app and from what I can see most Albergues are not bookable. Like the one in Rocenvalles. Or am I understanding something wrong? Will I be fine not booking and showing up at Albergues if I start walking early?

4. Follow up question. I just recently read about the easter celebrations. Will that be a problem?

I'm sorry if these things have already been discussed and answered elsewhere, I'm not that good at finding my way here yet with all the posts.

Henrik

Last edited:
I think everyone here has been in your shoes (so to speak!) at some point. I remember feeling overwhelmed many times when I was planning my Camino a few years ago. (I can also tell you that everything turns out to be pretty simple once you start walking, but you'll find that out for yourself soon enough.)

Some quick answers to your questions:

1. SJPP Is very small, and you will have no problem finding the bridge at the end of the Rue de la Citadelle (where the Pilgrim Office and many albergues are) that you cross to begin your journey. See https://maps.app.goo.gl/UjnEqi3fMKkmndGQ6 for a Google Maps location.

2. It depends if you plan on stopping at Orisson your first night or going all the way to Roncesvalles* - but in general, starting earlier in the day is always the best plan. 6 AM is definitely on the earlier side - though there were a few days on my own Camino when I started walking even earlier than that!

*Edit: Since you're walking before April 1, you'll be walking a different path that does not take you up through Orisson en route to Roncesvalles — you'll be walking something called the Valcarlos Route. I'm sure someone here can tell you more about it, and the Pilgrim Office in SJPP is an excellent source of information (and maps!) But orienting yourself to the bridge at the end of the Rue de la Citadelle will give you an idea of where exactly the Camino begins. And starting earlier rather than later still applies!

3. This is a perennial topic of discussion on here, but the consensus seems to be that it's a good idea booking the first few nights out of SJPP through Pamplona. After that, things "open up" more and you can be more flexible. Most public albergues are not bookable in advance, but most private ones are - check gronze.com and booking.com for options.

4. Never having walked during Easter, I can't say. But it seems that accommodations might be particularly busy that week, given it's a major holiday.

You are going to have a wonderful time. Buen Camino to you!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27.

I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little bit worried about finding my way so I'm a little bit nervous but I hope that it will be ok.

The reason I am doing this is because I have been dealing with some mental issues like depression, anxiety and panic attacks and I feel like i need to do something about it. I read that nature and walking can be one of the best medicines. I plan on walking all the way to Santiago.

I'm not a big social guy and I don't talk that much but I read that there is always other pilgrims on the Camino and it would be nice to have some company on the way. It's a bit harder to organize all on your own and feel confident when your mind is a mess like mine is right now.

Henrik
Henrik,

Welcome! Your questions are ones we all had on our first Camino. SeñorJacques and others have provided good answers on the logistics and I agree with them.

I think many Pilgrims found/find great solice on the Camino, I know that it provided me much needed quiet time. It also provided a mobile family who generally respect your needs. If you want to be social you have that opportunity, if you need some space, lots of that on the Camino.

So, Buen Camino Henrik, I hope you enjoy every step, all one million of them.

You’ve got this!

. It's a bit harder to organize all on your own
I think that it's easier to organize by yourself, because you don't have to worry about anyone else's wants and needs
What is the starting point in SJPdP? Is there a certain place where the camino offically starts from the town where pilgrims usually meet up? I looked at some gpx files but they showed two different ways on two different roads out of the town.
The higher route is closed until April 1st, so you will be taking the route via Valcarlos. That's one less decision that you have to make!
M is a good time to start to make it to Albergues in time.

3. I read a lot about booking in advance. So far I have only booked my night in SJPdP. I checked the Wise pilgrim app and from what I can see most Albergues are not bookable. Like the one in Rocenvalles
Start walking when you want. Some people start as early as 6am, but I prefer to start after the sun is up.

You can book Roncesvalles on their website:

If you want to ease into the Camino you could split the first stage in two and stay at the albergue in Valcarlos, which you can also reserve

You will quickly meet other pilgrims at the albergue and you can all help each other.

Easter can be a very busy time to walk, but given that the Napoleon Route will still be closed, there should be less walkers where you are. Book Roncesvalles just to be sure, though.

You will be quickly swallowed up by others walking the Way, so although you walk alone you will never truly be alone unless you actively work towards that. Just let it naturally happen.

Finally, SJPdP is simply a village in France that happens to be at a crossroads of several routes. Many folks start walking from there but it is not the beginning of the Camino in any way. Look for the yellow arrows and follow the crowds of people and you’ll be on the right track. As others have noted, though, you will be walking the Valcarlos route so ignore arrows pointing to Orisson or the Napoleon route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings, Hedrick!
In addition to the excellent advice given here, I thought maybe you might feel better knowing that we all have issues, some of us (like me) have dealt with anxiety, depression, I myself struggled with PTSD for decades (doing much better these days, thankfully), so when you mentioned some of your struggles, I definitely resonated. This will be my first Camino (I’m walking in August), and I know it will be a physical, emotional, and spiritual challenge. I myself have struggled with not knowing how to socialize, I’m shy and introverted (a lot less so lately, but still I have my moments) but it seems to me that the Camino can be a great way of meeting kindred souls, and, it’s flexible enough that we can choose solitude if we so desire.

I’m much older than you (64) and I wish I had this opportunity when I was your age. I understand the anxiety about doing something like this, I myself I’m scared out of my mind, but I’ve come to the point in my life that i have learned to feel comfortable with the discomfort.

I see a few challenges common to so many of us:
1) Logistical: how to get to our starting point, which bus, train, etc to get, what about cell phones, securing lodging, etc.

2) Relational: how to interact with a multitude of people of various ages, multiple nationalities, languages, customs, etc, as well as our individual styles of communicating and relating.

3) Physical: we will be walking 500 miles//800 KM across Spain, dealing with blisters, sore feet, sunburn, shin splints, sore ankles, in all kinds of weather. We will struggle with exhaustion, hunger, and poor sleep. This is where we discover how to truly listen to our bodies so we can take good care of ourselves, sometimes accept the help of others, sometimes we might likewise help other pilgrims.

4) Emotional/Spiritual: I’m sure many of us have all kinds of emotions coming up, not just during the Camino, but afterwards, and I suspect, even before. I haven’t even doing my Camino and I’ve been VERY emotional for personal reasons, and it’s all good. Have you heard of the ritual at Cruz de Ferro? That’s a place where we drop a stone we carry from home, symbolizing letting go of our burdens. During the journey, as we meet people, issues are sure to come up, challenges, conflicts, sharing, friendships, with their attendant feelings, some coming up from the past, some new feelings from new experiences. I’m not religious but I’m aware that, given the nature of the Camino, these issues will also come up for me. I see it as a great opportunity to grow in so many areas.

Have you seen the Martin Sheen movie (The Way)? While it’s a movie, not a documentary, it can give a sense of what the Camino might be like. I’ve also watched lots (LOTS) of You Tube videos from people that have done the Camino, anywhere from young women, elderly men, a family, a grandmother, a father with his son, all kinds of people, and these individual accounts can give us an idea of what it might be like but being so different that we also get the point that it’s different from everybody.

I am NO Camino expert, I’m a newbie, I haven't even walked, and this is what I’ve learned so far, without having taken yet a single step. I still have questions, and even seasoned Pilgrims in this board STILL have questions and issues do come up. It’s an exciting world, and I hope you enjoy the process of learning, preparing, and I wish I could see you when you take that first glorious step so for now, I’ll cyber-cheer you.
You got this!

Hello, Henrik.
You have chose a wonderful path! Please be assured, we have all had pre-Camino jitters...so many unknowns..until you start out. Then, you will be happily amazed at how simple life can be and with the gradual bonds you'll form with others along the route.
It is an amazing experience!
Here's my quick takes on your questions:
1. Start at the Pilgrims Office in SJPDP. They have all the information you need and a shell as well. Just head downhill from there (you'll understand when you get there).
2. I like to start walking just before daybreak when the sky is just getting light. But, you'll see that everyone is pretty much out and on the way by 7-7:30.
3. As Senior Jacques said...book in advance to Pamplona. Then, it's pretty open. I mostly stayed in albergues, but occasionally stayed in a hostel just to get a nice, long shower and a good nights sleep.
4. I'm not sure about Easter celebrations. But, I think it may be pretty amazing to celebrate Easter on the Camino. Be sure to take in the Pilgrims chapel service at Roncesvalle. Very special.

Lastly, relax. You're about to embark on a very simple life style (get up, walk, stop, shower, wash clothes, nap, write, sleep and do it again), yet a very healing journey. I personally found a lot of healing and release on my first Camino. As one fellow put it to me in advance, "I loved it, I hated it and I'm still learning the wonderful lessons I found on the Camino de Santiago."
Oh...and go slow to begin. You can increase daily mileage later on. But, shorter days in the beginning helps you build strength and saves your feet and back.
Buen Camino!!

Henrik
Henrik!!! I’m so excited for you! 😁 You’re very courageous and well on your way. Good to know you’ve booked in SJPdP. May I suggest you go to the Pilgrims Office there. They will issue you a pilgrim credential. I think it costs 3 Euro. Last time I was there in 2016 they also handed out a piece of paper with the stages/elevations and a list of albergue’s addresses and phone numbers. They will advise you on the route out of SJPdP. Depending on where your reservation is, you will go through the arch then across the bridge.
IMG_0876.jpeg
Then from the map I attached, when you get to the option, go right (the grey dots) to Valcarlos.
IMG_4804.jpeg
Because you are walking right at the Easter weekend, I personally would book, maybe Roncesvillas, for sure Zubiri and Pamplona. After that you should be okay as it’s still early in the walking season. I’ve always been an early riser on the Camino. It’s not a bad idea to start early, I just love those sunrises. You’ll figure out what is the best time for you.
IMG_3856.jpeg
You’re going to have a fabulous time. Let go, let things happen organically. You’ll meet some fascinating pilgrims and they’ll be blessed to have met you too. You’ll find your rhythm and get the hang of it.
😎👣🌻
Skal and Buen Camino! 😁

Last edited:
Henrick,

I also have depression and anxiety, and I have done two Caminos. Walking is very helpful and the Camino will give you a new perspective that may help you manage your depression and anxiety. It won’t make them go away, I wish, but spending time in nature, away from everyday life will help your body and mind to relax in a way that will be helpful, even if it just is for 30-something days.

I recommend continuing any medications. You don’t want to be in the middle of Spain without your medication or dealing with withdrawal. Also make sure to have any medications you may need that you don’t take daily. I didn’t have my anxiety medications and suffered a panic attack, and it was a scary experience to be alone and not have my medication.

I’m not sure about you but my depression and anxiety make me introverted and I am apprehensive around new people. I took me some time to learn that it’s ok to be on the Camino alone, to walk alone. You’ll see lots of people forming “families” and that is wonderful, but it’s not for everyone. I knew with my anxiety I could not deal with a family and having to deal with group decisions on when to eat, where to stay, etc. I did walk with people I felt comfortable with for periods of time but I also spent a lot of time walking alone. I also know someone else who went to the Camino with depression and he walked with his Camino family the entire time and being around others was healing for him. Just do what you are comfortable with.

Last advice is when you are walking alone you will have a lot of time to think. Sometimes I would get overwhelmed by this so I would focus on my steps and observing the things around me, like the nature, the sounds, even the graffiti.

Buen Camino to you. Do not be nervous. This will be a wonderful experience for you.

Book beds until Pamplona if you can and are happy with the distances involved. Start walking when you want ( I also walk early ) you won't always get a lay in with Albergue noise.

You can't help but meet fellow pilgrims, many of whom will be a bit nervous and first timers

you will be fine. Easter weekend will be busier with pilgrims but there will be a lot more Albergues opening up at this time also

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Henrik,
You will find all these answers on the Camino: do not worry about that. Do not worry about yourself: if you are able to walk, the Camino will provide you with the remnant.
Buen Camino !

Welcome to the forum, Henrik!

As the others said, even those of us who already have walked several Caminos still can get a bit nervous before their walks! Don't worry, it's normal ;-)

You don't have to be good at planning for the Camino. Just put one foot in front of the other and follow the Camino signs and other pilgrims. In St. Jean in the pilgrim's office you'll get a list with all the pilgrim accommodation (albergues) that has the needed information (distances between the towns, prices...) as well as a sheet with the trail profile and suggested stages.

Then it really is simply a rhythm of walk, eat, sleep, repeat (with showers and washing your clothes sprinkled inbetween).

1) You can't really miss it. Walk down the way from the pilgrim's office in the direction of the river / bridge. You'll probably see other pilgrims going the same direction. You also get a sheet of information from the pilgrim's office that describes the way to Roncesvalles (small map, pictures where to turn off for the Valcarlos route...).

2) 6-8 am is when most pilgrims start their walk (most albergues want you out at 8 latest).

3) Most municipal albergues can not be booked, the private ones usually can. But you'll need to contact them directly (gronze. com will be a good ressource for contact details). They're often not on booking dot.

I do not make reservations 99% of the time and never had problems so far. That includes easter.

4) I'd say, if you don't want to make reservations for the easter days, just make sure to maybe walk a bit shorter days so that you arrive early enough to get a bed in the municipals. For example if you plan to arrive in Pamplona during easter, maybe stop the day before in Arre, then it is only a short walk into the city, you'll arrive early, and can check into the albergue after a nice second breakfast.

The bigger towns / cities will probably be busy, and there might be more walkers because many spanish people like to walk for a week during semana santa (easter week). I found that not to be a problem, but that was a while ago.

My first Camino in 2015, I also started end of march with an early easter. Also with a history of depression, anxiety, insomnia and panic attacks. I soon found out that most pilgrims are very respectful and sensitive of other's spaces and "bubbles". If they feel you prefer time alone, they'll leave you alone. If they think you might need / want company or just someone to walk within sight, they'll approach you. It is totally normal to ask someone who's sitting at the side of the trail for some rest whether they're okay. It is also totally normal to say "I prefer to walk alone today" If someone doesn't get the clues.

Overall, pilgrims look out for each other. I found it a good mix of "walking alone but still in company".

I have social anxiety, but strangely enough, it was (and still is) no problem on the Camino. I actually learned to love the social side of the Camino. It's my happy place.

But even if you prefer to stay for yourself most of the time, that early in the year it will be easy to find your "quiet time" away from the others. Especially once you've reached the meseta.

I wish you a Buen Camino and hope you'll find what you're looking for 🙂.

Henrik
Henrik
The Camino is a great experience and is a mix of solitude and companionship.

I started alone from Pamplona in March 2022 and during my Camino I met some great people. Albergues are a very social experience and you will meet people you want to walk with. During a day you may walk with different people depending on your shared experience or fitness levels. Go with the flow.

Easter particularly for the last 100 km will be busy with limited availability of accommodation so is best avoided.

Don't stress about start time. Generally People wake up and start moving around which gets everyone else up.

Some albergue are excellent and you may consider a mix of albergue and hostels so that you can get some uninterrupted sleep as required. Avoid the albergue Padres Reparadores in Puerto de Raina as it is cramped and possibly the worst one on the Camino.

In essence, hang free and go with the flow.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hej Henrik.

So good you do this! I recognize myself so much, I walked for the first time last autumn, and was full of nerves, excitment and also anxious before the first step. Have been planning the next Camino since I got on the plane home.

As others say, you can walk in solitude, process thoughts and feelings while take in nature, wonderful surroundings and the magic of the Camino. You can make friends for life from all over the globe. And everything in between.

Hilsen fra Norge

Even after having walked multiple Caminos I still get pre-Camino jitters!
So good to hear, hope it never gets a routine, have enough routines in real life.. or wait, is real life Camino now, I've never felt so intensely alive and myself in a bubble far away from all commitments, stress and routines...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, now I interpreted this jitters word as exclusively positive, as I have never heard the word before (neither have Google ;). But a mixture of fear and just joy is what I feel this time, and it's a good feeling.

Henrik
Don’t stress about those things , just follow the crowd . That time of the year there will not be too many walker for the albergue, but enough on the path to see th way . The yellow arrow will always be evident . I have been over the Pyrenees 5 times and my only concern is a hard right in the first town after Roncevalles, maybe Burguete. You are on the main st and there is a coffee stop on left and very soon the path takes a sharp right between buildings aver a bridge , marked but easy to miss. Be friendly and share. Oh yes stay in a big albergue in SJPP and take the pilgrim meal, you will see these people for weeks. You will be fine

My experience was in 2017 and I think it wouldn't has changed much ;-)

#1) when stepped out of the albergue around 7:30 am, there were already many pilgrims on the street(s). I just followed them.

#2) I was/am "a snail", not even a turtle, on the Napolean routel, I reached the Albergue in Roncesvalles around 5:00 pm and got the last ticket for a very nice dinner, grilled fresh river trout.

(As I understand:
#1) the Napolean route is 24.2 km. If a person's pace is 3 km/hr, it requires 8 hours to complete.
#2) Napolean route will not be available till April 1 if weather permits.)

PS: I would suggest to take advantage of the luggage transfer service for this section. It would relieve a person's mind out of the burden of the backpack so that s/he could freely enjoy the scenery and mindful-walking.

Henrik
Hey pa dig Henrik. Don’t worry. It will all work out fine and you will love it
1) the starting point will be self evident when you arrive. I’d suggest checking into the pilgrims office the day before you start. This is very close to the actual start. When you go out of town there are two routes. You can decide which one to take depending the wheather. Again the pilgrim office will tell you which one to take.
2) 6 is good. Start when you want. It will all work out. You shouldn’t have any trouble getting an albuerge this time of year.
3)no need to book anything.
4)nope

Sorry about your depression and anxiety. I can’t think of anything better than the Camino to handle it. You can be with people or not. You can be with people part of the time and not other parts. There will be other wonderful people around. Most pilgrims meet life long friends along the way.
It is a wonderful experience. Don’t stress.
Ha det sa bra!

Ken

Please be assured, we have all had pre-Camino jitters
EVERYONE has worries before a first camino. It is human and I bet you fall under the human category!
I too have walked many caminos. I have walked some that I never saw more than a few pilgrims the entire camino. In fact 2 caminos I walked I only saw the few pilgrims I encountered in an albergue.
When I first walked I was totally freaked out. I had very little knowledge of the camino. Never saw a video and hadn't even heard of the movie "The Way" until after the camino was finished. I had no cell phone. All I had was the Brierley guide and wasn't even sure how to use it. There are plenty of others on this forum that walked before me and the total guidance was the yellow arrows as they walked.
People will tell you walk with intention, walk with courage, walk and ponder your life, ponder your next move, or walk with whatever. I say just walk. I am not sure what intentional walking is but if walking with nothing in your head is unintentional than that's how I walk. You have had great struggles and you have taken your first step to a better life. (Of course what I have written in this paragraph you are free to ignore!)
The description that so many use about how courageous a person is who decides pilgrimage is tiresome to hear for most people. But there are people like yourself who do fit the description of walking and being courageous to face yourself. The Brujo Don Juan who guided Carlos Castaneda in the ways of a warrior said. We all are afraid. But a warrior is not afraid to be afraid". (Hope I got this quote exactly right, haha). You are taking your first steps as a warrior.
To help assist you I would also recommend that you download the Buen Camino app and have Gronze.com bookmarked. They will give you more choices of albergues. Virtually all donativos and municipal albergues do not take reservations. Most private ones do.
One final thought. By the time you get to Puente La Reina I have a strong feeling you will be telling yourself that you got this.
The simpler you make your camino will help drain all the bulls**t from your brain and you are blessed to know that when the brain is drained the camino can then start to fill your head, heart and spirit with good stuff! Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm leaving St Jean the same day as you. I arrive the day before via sleeper train from Paris and a couple of regional trains.
Your reasons very closely resemble mine.
I have pre-booked past pamplona (where I have planned to spend a couple of nights): Roncesvalle, Zubiri, Pamplona x2, Uterga & Cirauqui. This is because I wasn't sure about what would be closed and how busy it would be over the Easter weekend.

I'm plenty nervous. There's many of things I haven't figured out. Albergue life, what footwear to bring, hiking poles and my current pack weight to name only a few. These things will resolve themselves by the time I get there.

So don't panic, you're not alone, (I remind myself too).

Henrik
Good Day Henrick, I will speak from my experiences having done the CF from St Jean to Santiago many times.

I have seen no general meeting point to start the CF. I think most just leave from their auberge or hotel with acquaintances they recently met, the group they arrived with or by themselves. I have left at 0630 and 0700 in the dark with no others being seen for an hour or more. Most probably eat breakfast about 0700 and get out by 0800 when most auberges make you leave anyway.

Since you will be going through Valcarlos, you can literally leave SJ any time you want and just get there by 2200 when the albergue there closes or book a hotel. Depending on your condition it could take 2 hours or longer for you to get to Valcarlos, or 5.5 hours or longer to get to Roncessvalles. Due to travel issues, I usually get to St. Jean around 1500 and just walk up to Valcarlos.

I once arrived St. Jean the weekend after Easter, and found the whole town packed with tourists and vacationers from all over Europe. I think most of the Spanish go on Holiday a week or two at Easter, and many of them use the albergues as a cheap place to stay whether or not they are actually pilgrims.

For general walking, I do not like walking in the dark, so I might leave around 0600 in June, or as late as 0900 in the fall. It is still easy to do 30-40 km a day, and I have always found a place to stay. I rarely book ahead, and if I do, it is usually after lunch. However, as said in this post, since the Easter holiday might last a week or more, you might want to book in advance during your first week.

Have a great Camino!!!

Henrik!!! I’m so excited for you! 😁 You’re very courageous and well on your way. Good to know you’ve booked in SJPdP. May I suggest you go to the Pilgrims Office there. They will issue you a pilgrim credential. I think it costs 3 Euro. Last time I was there in 2016 they also handed out a piece of paper with the stages/elevations and a list of albergue’s addresses and phone numbers. They will advise you on the route out of SJPdP. Depending on where your reservation is, you will go through the arch then across the bridge.
View attachment 166505
Then from the map I attached, when you get to the option, go right (the grey dots) to Valcarlos.
View attachment 166504
Because you are walking right at the Easter weekend, I personally would book, maybe Roncesvillas, for sure Zubiri and Pamplona. After that you should be okay as it’s still early in the walking season. I’ve always been an early riser on the Camino. It’s not a bad idea to start early, I just love those sunrises. You’ll figure out what is the best time for you.
View attachment 166506
You’re going to have a fabulous time. Let go, let things happen organically. You’ll meet some fascinating pilgrims and they’ll be blessed to have met you too. You’ll find your rhythm and get the hang of it.
😎👣🌻
Skal and Buen Camino! 😁
Sunrise and early can be mutually exclusive at certain times of the year. Also while sunrise is an objective measure, early is very subjective. Unless you enjoy it or it is going to be quite hot there is no real reason to in the dark.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Henrik —
Congratulations on your upcoming Camino. Building on the good advice of others — please give yourself grace as you embark on this adventure. Some days will be wonderful and some not so much, but that’s ok, it’s all a process and it may take time for you to hit your stride — it took me until Burgos to finally figure out the best configuration for my pack. In addition to “The Way,” you might also enjoy the documentary “Six Ways to Santiago,” which paints a pretty good picture of the highs and lows of the walk, which helped me through my own highs and lows. And finally, as another poster wrote — just walk. Don’t expect deep thoughts or an epiphany every minute, and don’t compare your experience to others — the lessons may not come until after you get home.

Buen Camino.

I think that it's easier to organize by yourself, because you don't have to worry about anyone else's wants and needs

The higher route is closed until April 1st, so you will be taking the route via Valcarlos. That's one less decision that you have to make!

Start walking when you want. Some people start as early as 6am, but I prefer to start after the sun is up.

If you want to ease into the Camino you could split the first stage in two and stay at the albergue in Valcarlos, which you can also reserve

You will quickly meet other pilgrims at the albergue and you can all help each other.
Thank you for the information, it’s help a lot. Me and my wife will start our CF on 17th April, I feel nervous about the albergues, which we don’t really have budget for private accommodation, so we did our research and list out the Municipal one and following by the second cheaper accommodation, but we do know anything can happen during the trip, life might not goes as plans, hopefully we will get through it😊

Hello Henrik. Welkom to this forum. I always get butterflys in my stomack before a camino. Like you i travel alone.yes you have to plane eveything alone but it will be oke and afterwarts you feel like a superhero. Wich you are of course.

Henrik
Hello Henrick,
When you're at SJPDP, drop by the pilgrims' office, where the volunteers will be able to answer all your questions. What's more, you're in luck as one of the volunteers is Swedish and will be able to help you in your own language.

Wow. Lots of info and encouragement above. Sorry I haven’t read all the post so apologies if I am repeating info.
My first Camino Francés was in 2007. I had incredible bouts of nerves and anxiety in the months leading up to departure. There were no maps or online stuff - I only had yellow arrows, the handout of towns and accommodation that you get at SJPP, three photocopied pages out of a Lonely Planet guide to Great Walks of the World - and most importantly, other pilgrims. I had my first ever tiny mobile phone with me.
I remember getting off that little train from Bayonne to SJPP and just following the person in front of me, who was also carrying a backpack - I figured they were also walking at the Camino.
That Camino changed my understanding of my life - it showed me, I could do something that my mind thought was absolutely impossible - walk 790 km to Santiago.
One thing I did know what was that there might be times when I could not find accommodation. So I was prepared to sleep (56 year old woman 🤣) to sleep on church steps or in some other rough and ready situation. The situation never arose - I always found a bed - but knowing I would survive if I didn’t have an actual bed to sleep in removed one anxiety.
Even on my last Camino in 2022, I found myself in a situation where I thought I might have to sit or sleep in a bus terminal all night. It didn’t eventuate, but having a mindset that it was okay to have one dreadful night, relieved me of a lot of worry and anxiety - and helped me to keep looking for and eventually finding a solution.
Three other practical tips.
On my first Camino, I discovered why we use poles and now never walk without them
Before my last Camino, I found Robo’s YouTube video - What’s in my pack - which confirmed my packing choices and kept my pack to under 7 kg.
I now use the Camino Ninja app and the online map makes sure I never get lost.
Blessings for your Camino.
Buen Camino.

Thank you everyone for all the kind replies. It helps a lot but I'm still very nervous.

Thank you for this. The wise pilgrim app showed Roncesvalles as not bookable and I could not find it on booking.com but I have now booked a bed.

It's so far the only booking I made out on the Camino. It seems like Zubiri is already fully booked on booking.com but the wise pilgrim app show a lot of albergues that are not bookable. Do you have any recommendations for Zuburi? It makes me a little bit worried but I hope it will be fine.

I'm also a little hesitant to book ahead because I'm not 100% sure how I will make it with the trip with my anxiety so in worst case scenario if I get to much panic attacks and have to step of a train or something like that I'm afraid I will be delayed or even have to cancel the trip. It has happened before that I got severe panic attacks while on a train and bus and had to step of. So it kinda worries me a little bit that it will happen again. But I'm hoping it will not.

I'm leaving St Jean the same day as you. I arrive the day before via sleeper train from Paris and a couple of regional trains.
Your reasons very closely resemble mine.
I have pre-booked past pamplona (where I have planned to spend a couple of nights): Roncesvalle, Zubiri, Pamplona x2, Uterga & Cirauqui. This is because I wasn't sure about what would be closed and how busy it would be over the Easter weekend.

I'm plenty nervous. There's many of things I haven't figured out. Albergue life, what footwear to bring, hiking poles and my current pack weight to name only a few. These things will resolve themselves by the time I get there.

So don't panic, you're not alone, (I remind myself too).
Where did you book your accommodations? Im having trouble with a lot of albergues not being on booking.com and Zubiri already being fully booked there. But there seems to be a lot of albergues to chose from in Zubiri according to the wise pilgrim app. I managed to book a bed in Roncesvalles via their own website but thats all I got so far.

Is gronze only available in Spanish btw does anyone know? I found an app besides the website but its all in Spanish.

Is gronze only available in Spanish btw does anyone know? I found an app besides the website but its all in Spanish.
Good Question. Unfortunately it appears there is only Spanish support for both App and Website.
Chrome Browser is your friend in translating the Spanish gronze site. <Right Click> and select 'Translate to English'.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Henrik
Henrik,
You will get a lot of great advice on this forum. You can be as social or not as you wish. My only advice is to walk this journey in your own way, at your our place.
Good luck and Buen Camino!

There's a bridge out of town that seems to be a starting point, more or less. At the very least, all of the pilgrims are funnelled through it. :) I would get an app or two (or for me, perhaps three or four). They can be a real help with any anxiety about finding your way. In general, it is as simple as following the yellow arrows or shells or other trail markers. But an app will provide a map with the route clearly marked and your location shown (generally with a blue dot). So if you are ever worried that you might be lost you can open it up and glance at it. Either you will reassure yourself seeing that the dot is on the route or you will see where you are and how to get back to the route. I see you've got the Wise Pilgrim app which is popular. Another popular app is Buen Camino and Camino Ninja has many ardent supporters. As others have noted, given the date of your departure, you'll be taking the route that goes through Valcarlos. You can stop there on the first day or go all of the way to Roncesvalles.
It depends on the season. Remember that Spain is in a bit of a weird time zone, not exactly aligned to what you would expect given its longitude. So the sun rises and sets later in Spain than when you would expect. I like to get up and start at 6 (or before) when walking in the height of summer. When walking earlier in the spring or later in the fall, I tend to start later.
Many albergues are bookable. Generally private albergues are, and some of the association, municipal or parochial albergues may be, although they are much more likely to operate on a "first come, first served" basis. Unless things have changed a lot, the public albergue in Roncesvalles is mixed, having some beds available for reservations and others offered first come, first served. If I were you, I would try and book Roncesvalles (through a form on their website) and Valcarlos (if you will be stopping there) and not worry too much after that.
It wasn't when I was on Camino during Semana Santa, but that was a long time ago. I leave this question to those with more recent experience.

It's only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will translate to the language of your choice.

There is a municipal albergue in Zubiri that is first come, first served, but there are others that are bookable, such as El Palo de Avellano and Suseia.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Henrik
Hello Henrik,
Don’t stress about those things , just follow the crowd . That time of the year there will not be too many walker for the albergue, but enough on the path to see th way . The yellow arrow will always be evident . I have been over the Pyrenees 5 times and my only concern is a hard right in the first town after Roncevalles, maybe Burguete. You are on the main st and there is a coffee stop on left and very soon the path takes a sharp right between buildings aver a bridge , marked but easy to miss. Be friendly and share. Oh yes stay in a big albergue in SJPP and take the pilgrim meal, you will see these people for weeks. You will be fine
You have received many beautiful answers. Wha
Hey pa dig Henrik. Don’t worry. It will all work out fine and you will love it
1) the starting point will be self evident when you arrive. I’d suggest checking into the pilgrims office the day before you start. This is very close to the actual start. When you go out of town there are two routes. You can decide which one to take depending the wheather. Again the pilgrim office will tell you which one to take.
2) 6 is good. Start when you want. It will all work out. You shouldn’t have any trouble getting an albuerge this time of year.
3)no need to book anything.
4)nope

Sorry about your depression and anxiety. I can’t think of anything better than the Camino to handle it. You can be with people or not. You can be with people part of the time and not other parts. There will be other wonderful people around. Most pilgrims meet life long friends along the way.
It is a wonderful experience. Don’t stress.
Ha det sa bra!

Ken
We hope to meet you, we leave from SJPdP on Monday, stay in Valcarlos, the Burguette, Zubiri...thanks for all the answers. Buen Camino.
.they will help us too.

I'm also a little hesitant to book ahead because I'm not 100% sure how I will make it with the trip with my anxiety so in worst case scenario if I get to much panic attacks and have to step of a train or something like that I'm afraid I will be delayed or even have to cancel the trip. It has happened before that I got severe panic attacks while on a train and bus and had to step of. So it kinda worries me a little bit that it will happen again. But I'm hoping it will not.
That’s a tough place to be. Some questions to ponder (being that they might be a bit personal, don’t feel obligated to answer, I just offer them so you can think about them, I hope you don’t find them intrusive, if so I apologize).

Are you on meds? Should you be on meds?
Are you on therapy, or should you?
Do you have a support system?
If you are on therapy, have you discussed these concerns with your therapist?
Do you have a strategy, plan, coping skills that can help you deal with a tough situation?
Are you ready for this or do you need time to prepare yourself psychologically?

Again, no need to disclose anything you don’t feel comfortable, just some things to think about. Nothing here is intended to give psychological advice, I’m just speaking from my own experience.

Given what you’ve shared, it’s reasonable that you have these concerns. I think that the better prepared you are, the better the experience will be. I think that’s better than hoping things won’t happen. If they do happen, what’s your plan?

As I’ve shared, I have PTSD. I’ve dealt with it for most of my life, and I know that if/when I get triggered, there are things I can do to calm myself down. I also have two great support systems and I can always reach out for support if needed (I’m so glad that it’s so easy now thanks to the Internet). I’ve learned to detach myself temporarily if I get too upset, to journal, to recalibrate my limbic system, and to reach out if I isolate too much.

Dealing with mental health issues is very hard to do alone, so support is crucial.
Something I’ve learned about fear is that it’s usually not about might happen, but about my not knowing how to deal with it. So I prepare, I research, I come up with whatever strategy I might need. Just this afternoon I was rehearsing how I would juggle my luggage when clearing customs, how to attach a hiking umbrella to my backpack, where to put my electronics in the backpack, etc.
If you haven’t done so, you might need to learn some Spanish phrases (I’m trying to learn French since I already speak Spanish).

Most importantly, whatever happens, LOVE YOURSELF through the process. Even if you get off the train, or cancel the trip, or change plans. Love yourself unconditionally, learn from the experience. Sometimes things don’t work out at first, but we can always try again.

I read this on a bumper sticker: “The miracle is not that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start” John J Bingham

My friend, by embarking on this endeavor, you are being courageous! Because without fear, there can’t be any courage…

Buen Camino!

Where did you book your accommodations? Im having trouble with a lot of albergues not being on booking.com and Zubiri already being fully booked there. But there seems to be a lot of albergues to chose from in Zubiri according to the wise pilgrim app. I managed to book a bed in Roncesvalles via their own website but thats all I got so far.
+34 666 49 91 75 Zubiri : https://www.elpalodeavellano.com/
+34 948 22 26 44 Pamplona: https://aspacenavarra.org/
+34 689 35 75 50 Uterga: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/albergue-casa-baztan-uterga.en-gb.html
+34 678 63 52 08 Cirauqui: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/albergue-casa-maralotx-solo-peregrinos.en-gb.html

There was no special choice made and I have not booked further ahead. My daily distances are short after Pamplona in case I need to adjust.

You're welcome to tag along whenever, for as long or as little as you like. I'm not very talkative ;)

Last edited:
+34 666 49 91 75 Zubiri : https://www.elpalodeavellano.com/
+34 948 22 26 44 Pamplona: https://aspacenavarra.org/
+34 689 35 75 50 Uterga: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/albergue-casa-baztan-uterga.en-gb.html
+34 678 63 52 08 Cirauqui: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/albergue-casa-maralotx-solo-peregrinos.en-gb.html

There was no special choice made and I have not booked further ahead. My daily distances are short after Pamplona in case I need to adjust.

You're welcome to tag along whenever, for as long or as little as you like. I'm not very talkative ;)
Just remember: booking.com/other services do NOT show the actual availability; only the number of beds they can reserve. The website may show no beds available, but that is not the fact: Call albergues directly and reserve a bed. You may need some Spanish skills, but that should be part of your Camino education.

Furthermore, by using external boking services, you are depriving the albergues of income, as they have to pay a commission to those services. Better to order directly.

Henrik
Welcome to the Camino!

Definitely follow any advice from the Pilgrim's office in SJPP.

Regarding Easter, it kinda depends where you are on the route. It has tended to be busier the closer you get to Santiago, and if there are processions there can be more people in town and in the albergues.

I would book Roncesvalles to Puenta la Reina if you are concerned. I've walked on the Meseta during Holy Week and it wasn't too busy, except in in Leon, but you'll get a sense of how busy when you arrive.
A lot of Europeans have that time off, as you know, and a lot of people will pick a section and walk between Palm Sunday and Easter. And that starting point could be anywhere but is often Roncesvalles or Sarria.

Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hej Henrik,

A few things:
  • Make sure to reserve lodging for your first couple of days (including St. Jean)
  • The Camino Ninja app is worth a look.
  • FYI, I have a website with lots of info that might be helpful: LINKY
Cheers,

That’s a tough place to be. Some questions to ponder (being that they might be a bit personal, don’t feel obligated to answer, I just offer them so you can think about them, I hope you don’t find them intrusive, if so I apologize).

Are you on meds? Should you be on meds?
Are you on therapy, or should you?
Do you have a support system?
If you are on therapy, have you discussed these concerns with your therapist?
Do you have a strategy, plan, coping skills that can help you deal with a tough situation?
Are you ready for this or do you need time to prepare yourself psychologically?

Again, no need to disclose anything you don’t feel comfortable, just some things to think about. Nothing here is intended to give psychological advice, I’m just speaking from my own experience.

Given what you’ve shared, it’s reasonable that you have these concerns. I think that the better prepared you are, the better the experience will be. I think that’s better than hoping things won’t happen. If they do happen, what’s your plan?

As I’ve shared, I have PTSD. I’ve dealt with it for most of my life, and I know that if/when I get triggered, there are things I can do to calm myself down. I also have two great support systems and I can always reach out for support if needed (I’m so glad that it’s so easy now thanks to the Internet). I’ve learned to detach myself temporarily if I get too upset, to journal, to recalibrate my limbic system, and to reach out if I isolate too much.

Dealing with mental health issues is very hard to do alone, so support is crucial.
Something I’ve learned about fear is that it’s usually not about might happen, but about my not knowing how to deal with it. So I prepare, I research, I come up with whatever strategy I might need. Just this afternoon I was rehearsing how I would juggle my luggage when clearing customs, how to attach a hiking umbrella to my backpack, where to put my electronics in the backpack, etc.
If you haven’t done so, you might need to learn some Spanish phrases (I’m trying to learn French since I already speak Spanish).

Most importantly, whatever happens, LOVE YOURSELF through the process. Even if you get off the train, or cancel the trip, or change plans. Love yourself unconditionally, learn from the experience. Sometimes things don’t work out at first, but we can always try again.

I read this on a bumper sticker: “The miracle is not that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start” John J Bingham

My friend, by embarking on this endeavor, you are being courageous! Because without fear, there can’t be any courage…

Buen Camino!
Thank you for this. This made me realize that I'm probably not prepared enough to walk the Camino yet even if it is healing and good for mental health. I will cancel and postpone the trip and try to prepare more and then try again in the future.

My best advice is, pack light and ENJOY the experience.
I have walked Viterbo to Rome, Sarria to Santiago and Porto to Santiago. The last I walked alone and felt at ease the whole way! My dream was to walk from Irun via Oviedo to Santiago but hip problems have put paid to that unfortunately.
Bom/ Buenos Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for this. This made me realize that I'm probably not prepared enough to walk the Camino yet even if it is healing and good for mental health. I will cancel and postpone the trip and try to prepare more and then try again in the future.
I wouldn’t cancel outright, just keep it as a possibility. See how much you can arrange in terms of logistics, planning, etc.
I myself gave me several months to prepare, to make sure I have “all my ducks in a row” (that’s an expression in the US) but we are all different.
I’m concerned that if you cancel prematurely, you might lose the motivation to do it in the future. I just want you to be as ready as you can be.
Have you talked to anybody close to you, that is supportive? Don’t rush into decisions for/against without processing your feelings/emotions.
Whatever you decide, I want the best for you!
Buen Camino!

Don't let yourself be stopped by someone else and their worries if you think / feel you need to walk now. The Camino has a tendency to call you, and that is not always at a convenient time in life.

I was at a very dark place when I first walked. Had I asked anyone for advice, they would all have told me to stay at home, and probably to get myself booked into a mental hospital instead of walking 800kms across a foreign country.

But I didn't ask, and I went to walk the Camino despite the anxiety and the panic attacks and the crippling depression, and it was the best thing I've ever done for my mental health.

If you truly think it is a bad idea to go, of course then don't.

But don't be discouraged by others if you think this is something you want to do / should do now.

I know how easy it is to be discouraged when you're feeling down and nervous. That's why I didn't tell anyone until shortly before I left home. I knew I would never go If I tell anyone, they'd have talked me out of it in two sentences.

If things don't work well while you're there, you can always go back home and try another time. No shame in that.

Whatever you do, I wish you all the best, and that you feel better soon.

Don't let yourself be stopped by someone else and their worries if you think / feel you need to walk now. The Camino has a tendency to call you, and that is not always at a convenient time in life.

I was at a very dark place when I first walked. Had I asked anyone for advice, they would all have told me to stay at home, and probably to get myself booked into a mental hospital instead of walking 800kms across a foreign country.

But I didn't ask, and I went to walk the Camino despite the anxiety and the panic attacks and the crippling depression, and it was the best thing I've ever done for my mental health.

If you truly think it is a bad idea to go, of course then don't.

But don't be discouraged by others if you think this is something you want to do / should do now.

I know how easy it is to be discouraged when you're feeling down and nervous. That's why I didn't tell anyone until shortly before I left home. I knew I would never go If I tell anyone, they'd have talked me out of it in two sentences.

If things don't work well while you're there, you can always go back home and try another time. No shame in that.

Whatever you do, I wish you all the best, and that you feel better soon.
Just to be clear, I wasn’t trying to discourage anybody, rather, I was voicing concerns about issues that might need to be addressed in order to have a successful Camino. At no point did I say “don’t do this”, rather, “you might want to think about this so you can be better prepared”. That was my intention, not to discourage, but to empower by enhancing preparedness.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wouldn’t cancel outright, just keep it as a possibility. See how much you can arrange in terms of logistics, planning, etc.
I myself gave me several months to prepare, to make sure I have “all my ducks in a row” (that’s an expression in the US) but we are all different.
I’m concerned that if you cancel prematurely, you might lose the motivation to do it in the future. I just want you to be as ready as you can be.
Have you talked to anybody close to you, that is supportive? Don’t rush into decisions for/against without processing your feelings/emotions.
Whatever you decide, I want the best for you!
Buen Camino!
For a first Camino and considering your uncertainty, why not walk from Sarria (about 100kms)? That way you would experience something of life on a Camino, and also the exhilaration of arriving in Santiago!
Another shortish route is Sienna to Viterbo (Rome).
Best wishes and good luck in your decision making.

Hi Henrik, from what you say, starting at SJPP in the Easter rush is not a good fit for you right now. I can see that!
But that doesn't mean you need to cancel the whole camino plan. Firstly, although SJPP is a really popular starting place it's not the Official Start Point. You can start anywhere. Wherever you walk out of that door on that first morning, that's where your camino begins.
You described your reasons for walking the camino as hoping that the nature and walking might be a good medicine and that it would be nice to have some company on the way. You can still experience all of those things by starting somewhere else - somewhere a bit more relaxed and less frenetic than SJPP at Easter time.
So maybe be a little bit tactical about this: wait for the Easter rush to go away and start further down the line where it's not so busy. Lots of people do. Something like starting from Burgos and see how much you like it and how far you get - you can stop anytime and/or before the busier section in Sarria if that suits you, and take a bus to Santiago if going there is important to you. But you can decide on all that later when you're actually there and on the path and probably chatting to others about it all..
And maybe you don't get very far this time, but that doesn't matter either. It all goes into the bank of your experience, so that you're much better equipped if you want to come back another time - or take on something completely different. Who knows?
Best wishes, tom

With Gronze on my iPhone, if I Select a piece of text an option to Translate comes up with the usual Cut and Paste. Android must have a similar function. The info about accomodation on Gronze is fairly self explanatory and you don’t really need translation - I could pretty much figure it out.
Last Camino I used email a lot to book a day or maybe two ahead when needed. I used Google Translate for the text. Emails were always answered promptly and if not it meant that accomodation was most probably closed.
Albergues that don’t take bookings operate on a first come first served. If you finish walking around 2 pm you will get a bed.
Also most municipal albergues that are for pilgrims only, will give priority to pilgrims who are sick or have a disability. In Galicia the municipal albergues have a private room. From what you say it seems like your mental health condition might fall into the disability category - maybe something from your doctor- with Spanish translation might be useful.
Lots of blessings going your way
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Henrik
Hi Henrik,

I too have suffered from major depression recurrent for over 30 years (I'm in my 70's now) and have had panic attacks, fear of not knowing what to do or what was happening. I just want to tell you that you can do this! Really, you can do the Camino. I first walked in 2016 and have been back every year since then except for 2020 during the pandemic. I'm always afraid and fearful but have learned that the benefit to me of still going really outweighs my fear, anxiety, panic and depression. I've never joined a pilgrim family on the Camino by choice as I walk really, really slow and don't want to try and keep up with others. Just know that support and a listening ear is a post, email, text or phone call away. You can do this. Please don't cancel your Camino. Its a dream you can do.

Phil

Dear Henrik, the best advice I can give you is to not think too much about what MIGHT happen.
Try to stay in the present.

I have met several people with serious mental health issues on the Camino and NONE of them regretted doing it (including - and especially - one who was not the best prepared).
And staying in the present is EASIER once you're on the Camino itself because there's a lot less to think about than in everyday life!

I suffered depression on and off all my life until 10 years ago when I was born again.
I have peace inside now and literally no anxiety.
But guess what began the journey to Jesus?

What began it was doing the Camino.
It seemed such a challenge at the time: my first time was 2006 before any apps and before most private albergues opened.
But, as many have said, it's almost like a step of faith that is "rewarded". "Just DO it!" :)
My mental health began improving after that because I gained confidence.
I started running regularly after I got home, from 10ks up to marathons, and spending much more time in nature actively looking at it and appreciating it.

Fast forward to 10 years ago and my journey to knowing Christ began on the *LEAST* prepared Camino I ever embarked on.

My journey out of darkness to permanent healing (Luke 4:18) began by helping someone else who was in a much worse position than me
At the time I believed in the existence of God and I called out to him moaning that I wasn't the best person to help.
He answered. It was as if he said: "It's not about what you can do on your own.
It's about what I can do through you.
And also IN you".

["Cast your cares upon Him because He cares about you": 1st Peter 5:7].

He gave me supernatural mental strength, patience, understanding and (Agape) Love for this person.
A few hundred miles later, I realized that the (Agape) Love He had for this person (and the whole world: John 3:16), He had for me too. And it changed everything.

Buen Camino. You are never alone 🙏
The worst anxiety attacks are spiritual.
Reading the Psalms before bedtime and in the morning has worked for billions of people over the last 3,000 years.
There's one King of the spiritual realm and He's close to the broken hearted and those who are crushed in spirit (Psalm 34:18).

Being prepared- I don’t think anyone feels prepared enough for their first Camino. In 2007 I knew nothing, didn’t know the Forum existed, went to the library to use a computer and found one blog on Camino Francés that let me know it’s doable for a woman to walk alone. I started at St Jean (not so busy in those days). In just getting there I considered my Camino a success. Anything that followed was icing on the cake. Day 1 - getting over the Pyrenees. Well what doesn’t kill you can only make you stronger. After that, I just took it day by day, never imagining I would ever get to Santiago.
If you want to go, then go. Choose a place to start, where ever it is, and get yourself there - but maybe start after Easter. If that is as much as you can achieve on your first attempt, then that’s enough.
However, I believe that if you take it one day at a time, you have a very good chance of getting to Santiago.
PS You haven’t mentioned your pack. I used Robo’s “What’s in my pack” YouTube video. That will get you completely sorted.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings, Hedrick!
In addition to the excellent advice given here, I thought maybe you might feel better knowing that we all have issues, some of us (like me) have dealt with anxiety, depression, I myself struggled with PTSD for decades (doing much better these days, thankfully), so when you mentioned some of your struggles, I definitely resonated. This will be my first Camino (I’m walking in August), and I know it will be a physical, emotional, and spiritual challenge. I myself have struggled with not knowing how to socialize, I’m shy and introverted (a lot less so lately, but still I have my moments) but it seems to me that the Camino can be a great way of meeting kindred souls, and, it’s flexible enough that we can choose solitude if we so desire.

I’m much older than you (64) and I wish I had this opportunity when I was your age. I understand the anxiety about doing something like this, I myself I’m scared out of my mind, but I’ve come to the point in my life that i have learned to feel comfortable with the discomfort.

I see a few challenges common to so many of us:
1) Logistical: how to get to our starting point, which bus, train, etc to get, what about cell phones, securing lodging, etc.

2) Relational: how to interact with a multitude of people of various ages, multiple nationalities, languages, customs, etc, as well as our individual styles of communicating and relating.

3) Physical: we will be walking 500 miles//800 KM across Spain, dealing with blisters, sore feet, sunburn, shin splints, sore ankles, in all kinds of weather. We will struggle with exhaustion, hunger, and poor sleep. This is where we discover how to truly listen to our bodies so we can take good care of ourselves, sometimes accept the help of others, sometimes we might likewise help other pilgrims.

4) Emotional/Spiritual: I’m sure many of us have all kinds of emotions coming up, not just during the Camino, but afterwards, and I suspect, even before. I haven’t even doing my Camino and I’ve been VERY emotional for personal reasons, and it’s all good. Have you heard of the ritual at Cruz de Ferro? That’s a place where we drop a stone we carry from home, symbolizing letting go of our burdens. During the journey, as we meet people, issues are sure to come up, challenges, conflicts, sharing, friendships, with their attendant feelings, some coming up from the past, some new feelings from new experiences. I’m not religious but I’m aware that, given the nature of the Camino, these issues will also come up for me. I see it as a great opportunity to grow in so many areas.

Have you seen the Martin Sheen movie (The Way)? While it’s a movie, not a documentary, it can give a sense of what the Camino might be like. I’ve also watched lots (LOTS) of You Tube videos from people that have done the Camino, anywhere from young women, elderly men, a family, a grandmother, a father with his son, all kinds of people, and these individual accounts can give us an idea of what it might be like but being so different that we also get the point that it’s different from everybody.

I am NO Camino expert, I’m a newbie, I haven't even walked, and this is what I’ve learned so far, without having taken yet a single step. I still have questions, and even seasoned Pilgrims in this board STILL have questions and issues do come up. It’s an exciting world, and I hope you enjoy the process of learning, preparing, and I wish I could see you when you take that first glorious step so for now, I’ll cyber-cheer you.
You got this!
Thank you for your reply I thought I was the only one feeling this way. I am so fearful of even planning the Camino trip and I know it’s all in my head! Yet I need it the Camino has been drawing me to it for a couple years now and it continues to come up in my life like something unfinished a task that I need to accomplish. But this fear is so strong it scares me especially since I am 70 a woman who would be walking alone and I’ve just read about some problems that other much younger women are having with men along the trails. I don’t know if I can overcome this fear but I have to because I am so unhappy in my life right now I need the Camino for some clarity and guidance…your post is so uplifting and helpful and gives me hope so thank you, thank you so very much!

Thank you for your reply I thought I was the only one feeling this way. I am so fearful of even planning the Camino trip and I know it’s all in my head! Yet I need it the Camino has been drawing me to it for a couple years now and it continues to come up in my life like something unfinished a task that I need to accomplish. But this fear is so strong it scares me especially since I am 70 a woman who would be walking alone and I’ve just read about some problems that other much younger women are having with men along the trails. I don’t know if I can overcome this fear but I have to because I am so unhappy in my life right now I need the Camino for some clarity and guidance…your post is so uplifting and helpful and gives me hope so thank you, thank you so very much!
I’m glad you found my comments helpful, as I fear unintentionally discouraging others from this journey when I bring up my concerns, particularly since I myself haven’t walked yet. I think it comes to our individual risk tolerance. I don’t think it’s my place to encourage or discourage anybody from doing this, but I know from experience that another person’s success or failure is no guarantee of my own, and my own success or failure is about me and no one else. Ultimately I see it as learning to trust our gut, and it’s not always easy to figure out what our gut is telling us. So I share my concerns, try to bring up helpful information, points to ponder, and my support in whatever decision a person makes. The Camino is there, beckoning us, calling us, and it isn’t going anywhere. Whatever you decide, whatever the OP decides, I remain supportive.
Buen Camino!

But this fear is so strong it scares me especially since I am 70 a woman who would be walking alone and I’ve just read about some problems that other much younger women are having with men along the trails
These kinds of incidents are extremely rare on the Camino. They get attention here because they are rare.

I walk alone and am a 72 year old woman. I think the good thing about my age is that it seems that men are no longer interested in me! Thank goodness. I have walked two solo Caminos with no problems.
All the worry thoughts are normal. I have had them too. I think the Camino is one of the safest places in the world. Things very occasionally happen but it’s rare.

I walk alone and am a 72 year old woman. I think the good thing about my age is that it seems that men are no longer interested in me! Thank goodness. I have walked two solo Caminos with no problems.
All the worry thoughts are normal. I have had them too. I think the Camino is one of the safest places in the world. Things very occasionally happen but it’s rare.
You know I already have angst about walking alone and I appreciate that the ladies share their experiences with these pervs but then my mind works over time! I literally was thinking when I walk I’m bringing bear spray, taser & a knife! My husband was like I think that’s a little over kill don’t you think! Lol But I need to read the positive and I appreciate all of it I really do. My first Camino and I am not afraid to say I’m scared but yet I want that experience! I need that dirty feeling that sweaty feeling and feeling so tired I’m literally asleep while I walk! I will embrace it all and appreciate the good & the bad and by bad I mean weather, cold showers and whatever…so thank you everyone again thank you so much for all your wisdom!

You know I already have angst about walking alone and I appreciate that the ladies share their experiences with these pervs but then my mind works over time! I literally was thinking when I walk I’m bringing bear spray, taser & a knife! My husband was like I think that’s a little over kill don’t you think! Lol But I need to read the positive and I appreciate all of it I really do. My first Camino and I am not afraid to say I’m scared but yet I want that experience! I need that dirty feeling that sweaty feeling and feeling so tired I’m literally asleep while I walk! I will embrace it all and appreciate the good & the bad and by bad I mean weather, cold showers and whatever…so thank you everyone again thank you so much for all your wisdom!
Maybe watching this grandmother do the Camino might help you as you follow her journey. I haven’t finished watching all her videos, but it might give you an idea. Of course, YMMV, so do what’s best for you.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back