• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time Peregrina

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello all! I'm walking my first Camino starting from SJPP September 1, 2022. My Camino was postponed for a year due to the pandemic, the original plan was that I was going to be walking in September 2021 while celebrating my 50th trip around the sun.
My travel plans are coming along, my flights are booked, a lot of gear has been purchased and my training has slowed now that it is winter in Utah.
I'm very excited and open to receive all of the experiences that come with embarking on the journey. I can't say I'm a hiker, that would imply that I have experience... I'm going from the couch to the Camino.
Aside from training what recommendations do you have for this beginner? Thanks in advance!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I can't say I'm a hiker, that would imply that I have experience... I'm going from the couch to the Camino.
I didn't consider myself a hiker before my first Camino (still don't - I'm a walker) and I'd never carried a backpack before. I did find out that I'm pretty darn good at long distance walking, and I've completed 6 Caminos now.

September is one of the busiest month to start from SJPDP, so I recommend that you consider booking your accommodations up through Pamplona. After that the pilgrim traffic spreads out because there are more intermediate stopping points.

Six caminos under your pack?! That's amazing!!

I have been researching and I have a friend that walked in September 2014, he suggested I pre-book accommodations as you suggested. Aside from the usual September traffic I've stressed about reduced availability due to Covid and extension of Holy Year. I may have booked beyond Pamplona.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola @A5Miles Welcome to the Camino Forum. You have seen the first of many examples of what we call "the Camino will Provide". Training, walking the 5/7/12 miles (or 8 to 22 km as you will come to know it in Spain) is the first step. I encourage you to read back through the many post in these pages. If you have a question and can't find the answer then go ahead and ask, remember "there are no silly questions". Buen Camino.

@A5Miles congratulations on your decision, it probably feels good and scary at the same time, as it did for many of us.

It’s not unusual for well meaning people to offer tips, techniques, experience and a whole range of advice to posters like yourself.

I’ll not shirk from my moral duty to a fellow pilgrim.😉

It’s likely your mind will turn towards fitness preparation and Camino training in general, especially when you read the forum and when others respond to you.

Please allow me to offer this thought - it’s very difficult for many people to train to walk a whole Camino such as your plan, so, maybe it will be helpful if I suggest that if you do train, you train to a level where you can walk the first 7-10 days of your Camino, at your pace over your average distance, without placing new stresses and strains upon your body N those first important days.

Buen (effective preparations) Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I may have booked beyond Pamplona.
My advice would be not to book too far ahead. Especially as a first-time pilgrim, it will be difficult physically in the beginning and you don't yet know how far you like to walk each day. Being locked into stages may cause you to walk more than your body wants to and could result in injury. That's a worst-case scenario, but another consideration is that you might meet people in the first day or two (the so-called 'camino family') who you would like to keep walking with but can't because your bookings hinder your flexibility.

...you might meet people in the first day or two (the so-called 'camino family') who you would like to keep walking with but can't because your bookings hinder your flexibility.

While I might say that trying to keep up with or slow down with a 'camino family' can also be a hindrance.

My one recommendation would be to heed all the warnings about keeping your pack weight down. On my first camino I ended up sending home a 2.5 kilo parcel from Estella. There are lots of opportunities along the way to purchase any piece of kit that you may need.

Lucky you! I started Sept 1 2021 and had the time of my life, good days, great days & ok days. I couldn’t sleep for months being so excited to just go. For me, Covid didn’t exist once I left SJPDP meaning I didn’t think or talk about it, so refreshing. At that time no Covid vaccination passes were required just masks in cafes/bars/churches and entering or moving around albergues. We had 50% capacity in albergues, very rarely saw a top bunk in use, mostly no blankets, a hit or miss with those awful disposable sheets. Mattresses and pillows are rubber/plastic covered so easy to sanitise, I took a pillow case with me. If you stay in Orison you’ll definitely meet your first Camino family. Enjoy the lead up Buen Camino 👣

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all! I'm walking my first Camino starting from SJPP September 1, 2022. My Camino was postponed for a year due to the pandemic, the original plan was that I was going to be walking in September 2021 while celebrating my 50th trip around the sun.
My travel plans are coming along, my flights are booked, a lot of gear has been purchased and my training has slowed now that it is winter in Utah.
I'm very excited and open to receive all of the experiences that come with embarking on the journey. I can't say I'm a hiker, that would imply that I have experience... I'm going from the couch to the Camino.
Aside from training what recommendations do you have for this beginner? Thanks in advance!
Don't overplan as it just puts pressure on you to achieve. Go with the flow. Ultreïa

Take lots of pictures.

I did not.

Wish I had.

Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My advice would be not to book too far ahead. Especially as a first-time pilgrim, it will be difficult physically in the beginning and you don't yet know how far you like to walk each day. Being locked into stages may cause you to walk more than your body wants to and could result in injury. That's a worst-case scenario, but another consideration is that you might meet people in the first day or two (the so-called 'camino family') who you would like to keep walking with but can't because your bookings hinder your flexibility.
Yikes!! I've already booked WAY far in advance🤦‍♀️

@A5Miles congratulations on your decision, it probably feels good and scary at the same time, as it did for many of us.

It’s not unusual for well meaning people to offer tips, techniques, experience and a whole range of advice to posters like yourself.

I’ll not shirk from my moral duty to a fellow pilgrim.😉

It’s likely your mind will turn towards fitness preparation and Camino training in general, especially when you read the forum and when others respond to you.

Please allow me to offer this thought - it’s very difficult for many people to train to walk a whole Camino such as your plan, so, maybe it will be helpful if I suggest that if you do train, you train to a level where you can walk the first 7-10 days of your Camino, at your pace over your average distance, without placing new stresses and strains upon your body N those first important days.

Buen (effective preparations) Camino.
Thank you for your reply and sound advice. Now that the airfare is booked it is feeling more real, the excitement is now mixed with a little anxiety. I've had a talk with the stubborn and determined side of me, the understanding is that I will not risk hurting myself. I will send my pack ahead and/or take a bus or taxi if the need arises. My goal is to enjoy the experience at a slow stroller pace.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great advice, I'm hoping the experience will allow me to just be and accept what comes. The over planning is truly something I'm hoping to resolve while on camino but so far the fear of the unknown has me anxious.
Trust in yourself, you have got yourself this far in life, you can certainly do a long but very pleasant and uncomplicated walk in a highly civilised and friendly country.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hopefully, you have free cancellation?
If so, keep track of the last day that you can cancel without penalty - it's different for different properties, and adjust as necessary.
Thank you for the sound advice! I'll need to set reminders for any accommodations that can be altered. I will go through and check the reservations.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And when you stop to take a picture looking forward, turn around, normally the scenery behind is just as impressive

I really like the view of the Cathedral when you look back from the Camino Finisterre.
Santiago from the way to Finisterre.jpg
Thank you for the sound advice! I'll need to set reminders for any accommodations that can be altered. I will go through and check the reservations.
I put reminders on my calendar with the warning ⚠ symbol.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.