• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For anyone who lives in Madrid, Three tasks to do in Madrid, how (exactly) would you do it

David Baylor

Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid/Lanante/Sanabres June/July 2015
OK, say that I have flown into Madrid. Will be taking a bus to Plaza de Castilla to begin the journey with a short trek to Campo. I need 1. What bus to Plaza de Castilla and where in the airport do I go for a ticket. 2. A Spanish debit card, where can I purchase one and which one for wide access. 3. A SIM card for my unlocked GSM phone, where on this route would I be able to stop and get one and which one would you reccomend.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I live in Spain (15 years)

Debit card from supermarkets/internet cafes....I recommend DISAshop M2P. There are many, DISAshop M2P can be topped up at any Caixa Savings Bank (or any in their network)

Many PrePaid cards again available from supermarkets/internet cafes. Lebara, Lycos, Orange should all be fine. I have a personal downer on Movistar but that's subjective.

Buen camino

Hi, David,
Do you know which terminal you will be arriving in? If it's T4, the easiest way to get to Plaza Castilla from the airport would be on the RENFE cercanias train line, which leave T4 at 28 and 58 after every hour. It's about a 12 minute ride to Chamartin train station, and from there, about a kilometer's walk to Plaza Castilla.

But if you want to take a bus, since that was your question, there are three city buses to and from the airport, whose routes you can see here: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/A...554326802/City-Buses.html?other=1237554327072

The advantage of the buses is that they also stop in T1 and T2. I've taken the 200 into the big bus station at Avda. de Americas, and from there you could easily get on the metro to Plaza Castilla. So it might be a little more complicated. Maybe there are other alternatives though, but none that occur to me right now. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Out of curiosity, are there advantages to moving money to a Spanish debit card, rather than just using your own from home?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks all. I only have one bank card and I want to use the Spanish debit as primary and if something goes wrong my bank card as back up. Just trying to be safe. I was just going to get another bank card here but thought that a Spanish debit card would be more universal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How are you going to pay for the Spanish Debit Card?
I suggest an ATM with your US$ based account to get Euro...then pay for Spanish card with Cash.
Unless the grocery store will allow you to purchase with US Debit Card.
Watch the Exchange rates and fees.

A simpler plan ( one I use) is to have Debit cards on two separate US Banks/credit union. That way if stuff happens you will always have a valid card.
Schwab Bank is simple to open on-line and charges no fees. They also reimburse you for any fees charged by ATM bank in Europe.

OK, say that I have flown into Madrid. Will be taking a bus to Plaza de Castilla to begin the journey with a short trek to Campo. I need 1. What bus to Plaza de Castilla and where in the airport do I go for a ticket. 2. A Spanish debit card, where can I purchase one and which one for wide access. 3. A SIM card for my unlocked GSM phone, where on this route would I be able to stop and get one and which one would you reccomend.
1. metro to plaza castilla from barajas airport, not sure hwy you would use a bus. are you walking out of madrid? what exactly is campo? campo de naciones? casa de campo?
2. sounds difficult as a bank debit requires opening a bank account here, and not sure how easy that is for non-residents + plus, it would take the bank at least a week to order and issue the card
3. that one is easy. steer away from the vendors who approach you at the airport. prepay sim cards can be bought really anywhere in town (plaza castilla for example). i would go for the major operators as they offer better coverage in rural spain (movistar, orange, vodafone)

2. sounds difficult as a bank debit requires opening a bank account here, and not sure how easy that is for non-residents + plus, it would take the bank at least a week to order and issue the card
3. that one is easy. steer away from the vendors who approach you at the airport. prepay sim cards can be bought really anywhere in town (plaza castilla for example). i would go for the major operators as they offer better coverage in rural spain (movistar, orange, vodafone)

#2 is simply WRONG .... no back account needed at all and is done on the spot, jeffery

#3 30 years in telecom and 15 years in Spain tells me that ALL the low cost carriers use the major carriers so there is NO difference on quality but there will be on price. Hits/Lebara/Más/Lycos are all piggybacking an existing player offer lower prices (usually) and have English support.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.