• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Leon the next step: Villar de Mazarife or San Martin?

Priscila schreiner

Time of past OR future Camino
From Leon to Santiago/Fisterra - 05/2013
I am priscila from Brazil and will start the Camino tomorrow from Leon and I have a doubt: considering that is my first day and I intend to walk about 20 km I have tão questions for you experienced pilgrams. Should I walk less in the first days, how many kilometers? And if u think it is OK to walk 20 km in the first days what do u think is better? Villar de Mazarife ou San Martin and why?
Well I think there were more than tão questions lol
Thanks in advance!!!
Regards,
Pris

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Priscilla,
Just start walking and don't plan! You will meet others you want to talk to, the weather might be glorious or trying, your body might do well or not so well - all of these things will affect how far you walk. You won't know until you do. By about lunchtime the choice will be clear.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Priscilla
falcon269 said:
I suggest Vilar de Mazarife; Tio Pepe.
Yes, I agree.
Others may disagree, but the road via San Martin can be a bit tricky where it crosses under motorways, ended up walking on farm roads beside motorway with six other "lost" pilgrims.
Much prefer Vilar de Mazarife route, which I did on previous walk.
Buen Camino
Colin

Priscilla,

I agree. Much of the Camino Frances immediately west from Leon passes through suburban sprawl and parallels highways; however, the pleasant alternate way via Villar de Mazarife avoids much of this.

Follow the regular CF roughly 7 km from Leon to the village La Virgen del Camino named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today this figure is within a splendid contemporary church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk. Basically a glass box with giant stylized metal sculptures of the Apostles covering the west façade it is a gem; do visit the interior.

To find the alternate way after visiting the church just cross the main street. You will see a sign with the alternate camino arrows. The alternate will turn slightly southwest towards Villar de Mazarife. By this you escape further N120 highway noise and much suburban sprawl. At Villar de Mazarife there are several pilgrim albergues, Tio Pepe is my favorite. From here you can continue on to join the regular CF at Hospital de Órbigo .

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If the weather is good, the way to Villar de Mazarife is far more beautiful, if it is raining the way to San Martin will be less muddy. Said all that, you need to listen to the Camino you are walking, it will tell you what is right for you at that specific moment ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My vote is for Mazarife. The other path is along the motorway for much of the way and is truly dreadful. There are three albergues to choose from in Mazarife - the first one on the right (Padua) offers are fantastic vegetarian meal, Albergue Jesus is full of character, and Tio Pepe comes recommended. Can't go wrong!

If you do decide to take the route via San Martin, or if you just miss the not-well-marked turn-off to Vilar de Mazarife, you can log a big day and go all the way to Hospital de Orbigo and stay at the fantastic Albergue Verde. (I'm a bit biased, I admit, as I am currently volunteering there as an hospitalera.) Hammocks in the giant backyard, yoga class most mornings, delicious vegetarian meal...

To be fair, one of my other favorite albergues is also in Hospital de Orbigo - Alb. San Miguel where there is an easel set up for artists to create their own Camino masterpieces. The walls of the albergue are filled with art from pilgrims that have passed through. Really cool.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back