• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Lisbon in the winter

Gil A

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Camino Frances
2014 Camino Frances
2015 Camino Portugues
2017 Camino Portugues
My wife and I are thinking of starting in early February in Lisbon.
Has anyone done this? Are accommodations available at that time of the year?
We are Canadian and we do some winter hiking, this year we did el Camino Frances starting in early March. We did not have any problems finding accommodation or with the weather (w did get some snow).

Any tips, recommendations would be appreciated

Gil

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Gil
Accommodations are available in February, the major concern might be the weather - rain and possible floods.
But you never know and there are always alternatives to overcome the floods like train, bus etc.
Floods areas are usually Azambuja - Santarém - Golegã where the caminho goes along the river.
This link will give an idea ;)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminho-português-ribatejo-flood-season.24169/#post-186108
And also this one regarding accommodations
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lbergue-opening-times-on-the-portugues.29491/

Bom caminho
Mario

Last edited:
Mario
Obrigado.
We are still trying to decide between Feb/Mar and May/June. What do you think?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mario
Obrigado.
We are still trying to decide between Feb/Mar and May/June. What do you think?

If you can freely choose between those two, I am pretty sure everyone is going to say -- go with May/June! Less rain (statistically), better temperatures, hopefully not really hot yet, and lots more green and flowers. No need to worry about crowds in either time period, and the benefit in May/June is that you may actually meet a few more pilgrims from Lisbon. Buen camino, let us know what you decide and how it goes! Laurie

I have no tips for you but my wife and I are flying into Lisbon on Feb 1 from Toronto, we are planning a train ride up to Porto where we will spend 2 or 3 days there before starting our walk to Santiago. I plan to post questions of my own shortly but I will keep and eye out for the tips you receive.

Andre

Last edited:
I have no tips for you but my wife and I are flying into Lisbon on Feb 1 from Toronto, we are planning a train ride up to Porto where we will spend 2 or 3 days there before starting our walk to Santiago. I plan to post questions of my own shortly but I will keep and eye the tips you receive.

Andre

Cdnwine

Are you attending the Toronto Pilgrims meeting? We may be able to meet there, this is the announcement

Please join us for this Fall's Toronto Camino Pilgrims' meeitng.
We have a new, airy and modern venue, new ideas on how to make the day integral for both the new and veteran pilgrims on a lot of levels.

Beach United Church, 140 Wineva Ave. (#501 Queen streetcar line, eastbound, since Wineva is 9 blocks East of Woodbine, and close to the Eastern end of the line. For those driving, Wineva is one-way Southbound toward Queen.) Parking lots in vicinity and street parking.

Cost: $5.00 for all day, (separate additional cost of $5.00 for morning training/orientation session for new pilgrims).

This fall's theme will be 'Supporting the Total Pilgrim'
Thanks to the new venue, multiple sessions will be held that cover, the spiritual, cultural, physical and emotional sides of pilgrimage. As well there will be more opportunities to interact with veteran pilgrims and opportunities for veteran pilgrims to share their experience and garnered wisdom. Stay tuned for the full agenda, speakers and highlights for this fall's meeting.

A special presentation of submitted photos will be held in the afternoon. For more on the photo contest please see the separate blurb on our Facebook page.

Presentation of the Film: "Are you a Pilgrim" Winner of the Gold Remi Award at the 47th Annual Worldfest-Houston, Tx.
As always, new pilgrims will be able to purchase their Credential from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would "bet" on ending Mar or early May, not wet and not heat, but I am not the weather man ;)
Do not know how flexible you plan is but I will post weather warnings on the forum.
Mario

Mario,
Thanks again. We are Canadian so my wife wanted to walk in cool weather, thus February. Your comment on the February floods convinced her that we are better of starting later. We have family commitments in April and we are slow walkers (I am almost 72) so we figure we will need about 6 weeks. So it looks like it will be, God willing, start in early May and arrive to Santiago mid June. Hopefully we will have a chance to meet you in Santarem.

Hi Gil, my wife and I are both 59, recently retired (1.5 years) and we have been attending Camino meetings here in Ottawa/Gatineau for the past 3 years. Our trip next year came about as a result of a ridiculous flight/hotel deal, Toronto to Lisbon, that we could not pass up. Flying out of TO for us was not a big issue as we have a daughter in Kitchener that will facilitate our departure. Our deal was for 5 nights but we extended/delayed our return flight by one month to permit us to hike for a few weeks on the Camino and R & R in southern Spain afterwards. We have built in a lot of flexibility in our itinerary.

We initially like the ideal of hiking in Feb because my wife also hates the hot weather, but we had not realized/researched the Feb weather patterns in Portugal, lots of rain, potential major flooding and short day light hours, what did we get into!!! Although a bit of panic did set in after the fact, we feel we can handle the weather situation as it will be better than the dead of winter here in Ottawa. Nonetheless, we have time on our side to plan our equipment needs and explore potential routes from Porto to Santiago that would be less prone to floods and still have a sufficient amount of albergue open. Ideally, we would like to walk about 20 km per day, a paste at which we think will provide us time to see things and talk to people.

Some of the issues we are now attempting to sort out are, to land in Lisbon and hop on a train to Porto with 2 back packs and one suitcase, once in Porto where we will spend 3 nights, we want to forward our suitcase to Santiago where we can retrieve it at the end of our hike, rent a car (automatic) in Santiago and travel to southern Spain via Madrid, then on to our southern location which is undetermined at this time. We are also debating to perhaps go to Madrid via train or flight from Santiago and then rent a car from there and head south.

These are very exciting times for my wife and I, we've committed ourselves to our first Camino hike and although we expect it to be challenging for all kinds of reasons other than the physical part of it, we are very much looking forward to it. So Gil, if we don't get to meet up on the Camino I will make every effort to fill you in on our trip, the good and the bad!!

Cheers,
Andre

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We cycled that route starting at the beginning of april and it was very warm with occasional downpours. If you prefer cooler weather the feb date is probably better. It is always a gamble - weather does what it likes and we just have to dress for it!

Hi Gil.
Sorry to be negative about February, but my opinion is based on weather "average" facts. Floods could not happen, it depends on rain and the discharge from dams allover the river.
Today, October 27th, we had clear sky with a brilliant sunshine, 30º Celsius and still for the next weeks, but should be Autumn!!!
It is like summertime!! will you predict that?
Nevertheless, I think you have take a wised decision :)
There is a very useful document written by Laurie, that can help you to short the long stages (just in case) and also in case of floods find out alternatives.
Download it here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/why-start-in-lisbon.29651/
Yes, I do hope to have the chance to meet you!
Bom Caminho
Mario

If you want to see some pictures and notes about Lisbon to Porto, and Porto to SdC, my diaries are downloadable from my web site, in "doc" format.
I have always walked April/May/early June.
As Mario said, it's not too warm [usually :)] but the wild flowers are wonderful. April can be quite wet, but not too cold.
Whichever you decide, you'll have a wonderful time!
Bom caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you MAro and Stephen. I will certainly look at the links. The more information the better.

When you go back to beginning of january 2013 on this forum you will see a number of posts of an American guy ,his Korean wife and a nephew who walked from Lisbon to Santiago so you can read their adventures and what they encountered. So you will understand Mario's remarks better about indunations etc.
my wife and I walked from Lisbon in the beginning of May 2013 and even we encounterd a damaged bridge by floods of the Tejo river just outside Sacavèm.
Further north on offroad trails we allmost had to swim because the paths were like rivers.
Around Albergaría -a-Velha just after the Nuns retaît house where you can stay the night by the way! Very good, we walked "ankle deep " through the mud for about half a mile !
So that is what you can encounter in the wintertime too and even worse.

I guess I will have to fill in everyone about the outcome of my hike from Porto to Santiago which will start on Feb 5, 2015, it could be interesting (lol)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess I will have to fill in everyone about the outcome of my hike from Porto to Santiago which will start on Feb 15, 2015, it could be interesting (lol)
Hopefully you will write a blog and let us know about it so we can follow your tracks. Do keep in touch

Hi Gil.
Sorry to be negative about February, but my opinion is based on weather "average" facts. Floods could not happen, it depends on rain and the discharge from dams allover the river.
Today, October 27th, we had clear sky with a brilliant sunshine, 30º Celsius and still for the next weeks, but should be Autumn!!!
It is like summertime!! will you predict that?
Nevertheless, I think you have take a wised decision :)
There is a very useful document written by Laurie, that can help you to short the long stages (just in case) and also in case of floods find out alternatives.
Download it here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/why-start-in-lisbon.29651/
Yes, I do hope to have the chance to meet you!
Bom Caminho
Mario
Mario:
We attended yesterday a meeting of the Toronto Pilgrims group, a chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. There were easily over 100 experienced and to be pilgrims. When I asked who had done el camino portugues there was only a handful, and only one of them had started in Lisbon. Everyone seems to want to start in Porto. The comments about the Lisbon to Porto route were pretty negative. They commented in how dangerous it is to walk on highways without shoulders with cars speeding at a 80 kmh or faster and the lack of accommodations and the forced long stages.
I was wondering if the route from Lisbon to Fatima is better. I understand that el Camino and the pilgrimage to Fatima route overlap but, are there more people walking to Fatima than following el Camino? Are there more accomodations? Is it a safer route?
We were intending to to go Fatima anyway. Our Lady is very important to us and we have been at Guadalupe in Mexico and Lourdes in France. So for us is almost obligatory to go and visit her shrine if we go to Portugal.
I hope you can answer some of my questions. We are still intending to start in Lisbon. Thanks

Starting in Porto obviously has to do with people have only limited time and book their returnflight in advance so within about a fortnight you can walk this part. from Lisbon you need at least 5 weeks.

If you read back on this forum you can see that the last year there improved a lot at the Lisbon to Porto trail so I do not understand why people do so negative about it. We walked it before that improvement and did like it very much.
They now created detours for the walk aside the busy roads.And there is now a network of cooperating hostals and albergues with pickup services. No reason to doubt or even not to start in Lisbon anymore.

Only the first three days starting from Lisbon overlaps the walk to Fátima that means to Santarèm From there you head westwards while the camino heads northwards. To get from Fátima to the camino northwards you have to find your way because this is not waymarked .first connection to the camino will be in or around Ansião. I suppose there are a lot of places to sleep in and around Fátima due to thousands of pilgrims come together at times. We were there last May by car and camped in Tomar so I have no experience about that. But my good friend Diogo92 was there the other day and definitively can tell you something about that. Send him a PM. You will find him on this forum too. Lot of Portugese people walk to Fátima from all directions , often recognisable by yellow safety vests ,sneakers and small backpacks. A lot of them follow the shortest route by walking aside the motorways.

Bom caminho

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Gil.
Starting in Lisbon, the early stages have negative comments as there are also positive and/or non-negative comments as well.
All industrial areas are more-less the same. I understand that Porto has the same issue, probably not that severe...
The feedback I have from pilgrims when arrive my hostel is that for some it was ok and for others hard to do it.
So, I believe, it depends on your mindset and/or physical condition.
That is why a group of pilgrims start early 2014 to discuss this issue and two outputs are available the "Short Stages" from Laurie and four videos from pilgrims with theirs testimony about the issues you mentioned "Why start in Lisbon". Also Magwood have posted "concerned about starting Lisbon".
My advice for all of you that do not like to walk in Industrial areas or are not ready to walk long early stages, then take the train to Azambuja or Santarem and start to walk from there as many pilgrims decided to do it.
Regarding your questions:
From Lisbon to Santarém both caminhos, Santiago and Fátima are the same you will always find yellow and blue arrows side by side pointing the same direction. There is only one caminho till Santarem, where there, Fátima goes West and Santiago stills North direction.
So you will get the same good and the bad.
This is the link of one of the Fátima Portuguese Association, with maps available online here (need google maps).
Some decide to walk to Fatima and join the caminho Santiago later, skipping part of the original caminho Santiago like Golegã - Tomar or more as you can see on the mentioned map. It depends how short you want the detour.
Others decide to take the bus, visit Fatima, come back and resume the original caminho Santiago.
You can easily do it in Santarém or Tomar.
No, there are no more pilgrims walking Fátima than to Santiago except on two special dates: May 13th and October 13th
But I do not recommend it as will be a very busy caminho
If you decide to walk from Santarém to Fátima and follow "The Caminho do Tejo" (on the mentioned map) it will take you 2 days (28Km+28Km).
No problem with accommodation and safe route, similar route from Azambuja / Santarém
Let me know if you need further assistance
Mario

Again Mario and Albertinho Thanks!! Obrigatto!!

After your replies, this is what I posted in the Toronto Camino Pilgrims facebook page:

Yesterday at the meeting I asked for feedback on the Camino Portugues starting in Lisboa (Lisbon). The feedback was very negative for the portion from Lisbon to Porto. I posted the comments on the Pilgrims Forum (https://www.caminodesantiago.me ) and this is part of one of the answers I received:
"They now created detours for the walk aside the busy roads.And there is now a network of cooperating hostals and albergues with pickup services. No reason to doubt or even not to start in Lisbon anymore."
I think that as the number of pilgrims have increased in Portugal, the infrastructure has been improving. God willing we will be able to give you first hand comments next year when we walk el Camino Portugues starting inLisbon.

@Gil A there are plenty of recent threads on this forum with more positive points of view on the walk from Lisbon. I walked this year starting early May and thoroughly enjoyed the walk. We split many of the prescribed stages and I walked into Santiago on day 27.

You can avoid a lot of traffic by planning to walk these stages at the weekend.

Take a look at my video to see what scenery you can expect on a May walk

And have a look at my blog (link below) where I posted each day from my caminho. I have also made a resources list with links to lots of useful information and other blogs from recent pilgrims.

Don't be put off by negative opinions by people who haven't walked this route.

You will find that people who have actually walked this route from Lisbon will recommend it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

After your replies, this is what I posted in the Toronto Camino Pilgrims facebook page:

Yesterday at the meeting I asked for feedback on the Camino Portugues starting in Lisboa (Lisbon). The feedback was very negative for the portion from Lisbon to Porto. I posted the comments on the Pilgrims Forum (https://www.caminodesantiago.me ) and this is part of one of the answers I received:
"They now created detours for the walk aside the busy roads.And there is now a network of cooperating hostals and albergues with pickup services. No reason to doubt or even not to start in Lisbon anymore."
I think that as the number of pilgrims have increased in Portugal, the infrastructure has been improving. God willing we will be able to give you first hand comments next year when we walk el Camino Portugues starting inLisbon.
Just go Gil A. You won't regret it. Portugal is such a beautiful country, very nice people, great food. Don't let you get away because of the meaning of others who aren't informed about the recent situation but rely on them who have been here the recent time. Here on this forum you can find your expertise first hand !
Bom caminho

@Gil A there are plenty of recent threads on this forum with more positive points of view on the walk from Lisbon. I walked this year starting early May and thoroughly enjoyed the walk. We split many of the prescribed stages and I walked into Santiago on day 27.

You can avoid a lot of traffic by planning to walk these stages at the weekend.

Take a look at my video to see what scenery you can expect on a May walk

And have a look at my blog (link below) where I posted each day from my caminho. I have also made a resources list with links to lots of useful information and other blogs from recent pilgrims.

Don't be put off by negative opinions by people who haven't walked this route.

You will find that people who have actually walked this route from Lisbon will recommend it.
And Gil A . Maggie is one of our Caminho Portuges Ambassadors ! Thanks Maggie for your promotion ! It is worthwhile to walk this caminho !
Un saludo deste lado

Hi Gil
Well done!!
Did you also share the links that I have include in my reply?
For your information, this year so far, we have welcome 38 Canadian pilgrims vs 30 from last year.
But the interest aspect is they are mostly from Quebec which did not happen last year.
Do have a clue about that?
Sorry, are you from Quebec? ;)
Mario

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Gil
Well done!!
Did you also share the links that I have include in my reply?
For your information, this year so far, we have welcome 38 Canadian pilgrims vs 30 from last year.
But the interest aspect is they are mostly from Quebec which did not happen last year.
Do have a clue about that?
Sorry, are you from Quebec? ;)
Mario[/QUOT
I will add the links to my post on the Toronto Pilgrims Facebook page and no, we live in Mississauga, Ontario. A city of 750,000 people next door to Toronto. The Canadian Company of Pilgrims is based in Ottawa and is for English speaking Canadians, there is another Canadian association based in Quebec for French speaking people.

I walked from Lisbon in September 2010 with a Canadian buddy from a previous Camino Frances. The only pilgrims we met before Porto were 5 Quebecois walking together whom we met up with over three days. I look back fondly now but I remember it was 40 degrees in Lisbon and so hot for the next week or so. I hit the wall on day 3, almost collapsed with heatstroke and my buddy went ahead to find a taxi. He came back in a Bombeiros Ambulance,the guys were wonderful although I was mortified, took us back to a small aerodrome and cooled me down with iced water and made us eat,then ordered a taxi to take us the last few kms to Santarem. There was no Albergue in those days so we stayed at Residential Vitoria.
There were a few negatives ,my buddy didn't like resting and we took no rest days so I was exhausted most of the time. Wrong size shoes and too thick socks, so many blisters. I remember being relieved to reach Porto,although still no day off ;-( It was great to see the many pilgrims and stay in Albergues.

I did love Portugal and the people though and one day would like to go back and walk again from Lisbon, gorgeous city.
More experienced and certainly more independent now!

Forgot to say I couldn't have managed without Laurie's Guide clutched in my hot ,sweaty hands!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good Morning
"In Portugal we say, many lies do not make a truth."
The portuguese central caminho that starts from the city of Lisbon to the city of Azambuja, in fact it has a lot of road, yet still be worth realize, are beautiful steps, for example, which connects the city of Alhandra to the city of Vila Franca de Xira.
There are actually two sections of the caminho that can be considered bad (Alverca - Alhandra and Vila Nova da Rainha - Azambuja), but if the pilgrims continue to avoid these ways and still go by train to Azambuja, the authorities did not seek other alternatives .
As Mag said, you need only program these courses for the weekend, when there is no commercial vehicles traffic.
So I recommend _ on Saturday Lisbon to Alverca and Sunday Alverca to Azambuja.
For those who start in Porto and who goes by the Central Caminho, you must pass in the industrial area of the city Maia, and dangerous section of national noad EN306, much more dangerous than EN3 (Vila Nova da Rainha to Azambuja).
AMSimoes

Good Morning
"In Portugal we say, many lies do not make a truth."
The portuguese central caminho that starts from the city of Lisbon to the city of Azambuja, in fact it has a lot of road, yet still be worth realize, are beautiful steps, for example, which connects the city of Alhandra to the city of Vila Franca de Xira.
There are actually two sections of the caminho that can be considered bad (Alverca - Alhandra and Vila Nova da Rainha - Azambuja), but if the pilgrims continue to avoid these ways and still go by train to Azambuja, the authorities did not seek other alternatives .
As Mag said, you need only program these courses for the weekend, when there is no commercial vehicles traffic.
So I recommend _ on Saturday Lisbon to Alverca and Sunday Alverca to Azambuja.
For those who start in Porto and who goes by the Central Caminho, you must pass in the industrial area of the city Maia, and dangerous section of national noad EN306, much more dangerous than EN3 (Vila Nova da Rainha to Azambuja).
AMSimoes
Forget Porto to Maia and Vilarinho and walk Matosinhos to Vila do Conde and from there to São Pedro de Rates. Easy walking alongside the Atlantic ocean and beaches.

I walked from Lisbon in September 2010 with a Canadian buddy from a previous Camino Frances. The only pilgrims we met before Porto were 5 Quebecois walking together whom we met up with over three days. I look back fondly now but I remember it was 40 degrees in Lisbon and so hot for the next week or so. I hit the wall on day 3, almost collapsed with heatstroke and my buddy went ahead to find a taxi. He came back in a Bombeiros Ambulance,the guys were wonderful although I was mortified, took us back to a small aerodrome and cooled me down with iced water and made us eat,then ordered a taxi to take us the last few kms to Santarem. There was no Albergue in those days so we stayed at Residential Vitoria.
There were a few negatives ,my buddy didn't like resting and we took no rest days so I was exhausted most of the time. Wrong size shoes and too thick socks, so many blisters. I remember being relieved to reach Porto,although still no day off ;-( It was great to see the many pilgrims and stay in Albergues.

I did love Portugal and the people though and one day would like to go back and walk again from Lisbon, gorgeous city.
More experienced and certainly more independent now!

Camino07
I understand your story very well. I am an old guy of 71 so I had my problems in el Camino Frances this year. Three trips to ER on 41 days. The first one exhaustion; passing out in El Camino just short of Pamplona was no fun. The next one was vertigo just before Astorga and the last one a fall that needed stirched in the forehead at Portomarin. Must be a record but I survived and I finished. Of course I had wonder-woman to take care of me. So I did not learn my lesson so here I go again (despite what my children say).
I have many friends of Portuguese background that live around here so I know the people in Portugal will be friendly. I am also anxious to visit the shrine of Our Lady in Fatima and of course I hope to be able to visit the tomb of the apostle. I am ready to go.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino07
I understand your story very well. I am an old guy of 71 so I had my problems in el Camino Frances this year. Three trips to ER on 41 days. The first one exhaustion; passing out in El Camino just short of Pamplona was no fun. The next one was vertigo just before Astorga and the last one a fall that needed stirched in the forehead at Portomarin. Must be a record but I survived and I finished. Of course I had wonder-woman to take care of me. So I did not learn my lesson so here I go again (despite what my children say).
I have many friends of Portuguese background that live around here so I know the people in Portugal will be friendly. I am also anxious to visit the shrine of Our Lady in Fatima and of course I hope to be able to visit the tomb of the apostle. I am ready to go.

Hi Gil.
We (man) never care for lessons learned, that is why we all have a super women to fix little important details.
Hope to have the chance to meet you both.
Bom Caminho
Mario

Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

As my title states (and my name implies), this will be my second pilgrimage to Santiago through Lisbon, and I am starting in the beginning of February. I am hoping that my girlfriend and an Italian friend of mine (whom I met while walking the Camino Frances) will be joining me, but I have not gotten 100% confirmation from them just yet. Therefore, I am looking for fellow pilgrims who are walking along this route to help share the costs of groceries and accommodations.

Unless something has drastically changed in the past 2 years, there are not many albergues on this route, especially south of Porto, so walking solo can cost a bit. On my last Portuguese Caminho, there were multiple times when my girlfriend and I had to drop 30-40 Euro a night for a hotel room because that was the only game in town. In regards to groceries, for example, I am not thrilled of the idea of hauling a 6 pack of yogurt around because the grocery store did not sell single serving cups.

I do know that you can crash at some of the firehouses on the route for free, but would you really ask? If you could, I admire your nerve, because I couldn't ask a volunteer firefighter (which a lot of them are in Portugal) after he/she has just trained all day or worse, fought a fire, if they can make the effort to set a up a shower, a place for me to crash, and if I could use their kitchen to cook my dinner.

So a little about me, I am college educated and medically trained, have working knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese, very easy to get along with, in my late 30's, and plan on using a snore guard. I have been to Portugal 6 times (including 2 Camino treks through Portugal), so I know the country and the logistics needed to get around with minimal stress. I also have working knowledge of French, Italian, German, Korean, Japanese, and Hebrew, so please forward this to any non-English speaking pilgrims if you know of any doing this route when I'm walking. Lastly, I only mentioned that I am starting in the beginning of February, because I am flexible as to the exact date I can start.
So thank you for reading this long thread and if you are doing the Caminho Portuguese on another date, feel free to ask me any questions, because I must admit, other threads I have read here do not emphasis how far some of the walking distances from town to town are, and how much walking on cobblestone and pavement sucks. Though, at the same time, I think most fail to express how beautiful Portugal is, how wonderful the Portuguese people are, and how amazing the food is ;)

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho

P.S.
Please check out my thread I just created and I did the Caminho Portuguese in Jan/Feb the last time I did this route. Here are a few pros/cons to walking in the winter.

Pros: Cooler weather (Portugal can have heat waves as early as March, as late as October)
Cheaper accommodations (As you will be walking opposite of their tourist season)
Less pilgrims (More albergue space when you start seeing true pilgrim albergues)
Less agriculture traffic (You will be walking on a lot of farm roads and some of those darn tractors take up the whole road)

Cons: Rain (particularly in Galicia) and high possibility of floods (though I can give you tips to avoid and/or get around them)
Closed accommodations (As you will be walking opposite of their tourist season and I can tell you a couple of hilarious stories about that)
Less pilgrims (My girlfriend and I only saw 4 pilgrims on the entire trek)
Less daylight to walk in

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back