• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From today's paper

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Google translation...

upload_2016-10-6_6-56-55.png

GALICIA

Image: JAVIER MARBAN

Pilgrims cross daily routes one kilometer from the accident O Porrino
An association tries to deflect the Portuguese Way to prevent abuses

MONICA TORRES
O PORRINO / LA VOZ 06/10/2016 15:12
The route of the Portuguese Way requires each day to an average of 150 people to cross a railway line in the municipality of Pontevedra Mos . This point, which is just over a kilometer viaduct Anguish, under which there was the tragic railway accident that left four dead and fifty injured last September 9, is a stopping point for pilgrims Sanguiñeda parish.

" It is a train track that you have to cross over the beams and loose stones do not even have a level crossing as there is in O Porrino , " explains Javier Marban. He is the representative in the area of the Galician Association of Camiños Santiago (AGACS), an organization that ensures the safety of the route and its pilgrims. The company was also the promoter of the variant that three years ago approved the Xacobeo in O Porrino, at the height of the parish of Orbenlle to avoid the Camino by Gándaras As business park. a black legend that picked up the German guidelines for being a three-kilometer stretch on the road, between industries and without shelter, especially hard in the summer is so over. Now finalizing the dossier to try to agree an alternative to those who believe they are, today, the two main black spots of the route already prefer one in five pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago .

"It is a long, tedious and complex process," recalls the association. He considers that there is a risk of public safety for more than evident that the authorities take measures while the process is pending. "The pilgrims daily life and twice in a row in Mos played. First across the national 550 in a curve with no visibility and then crossing over the railway, "he warns. His alternative, regardless of historical and cultural assessments to determine any possible changes in the oldest route of the Old Continent, only diverts the track 50 meters.

The special danger of the N-550 (Pontevedra-Santiago) arrives at kilometer 153, in the area of Amieirolongo, when crossing the road to go to the pazo of Mos. At that point, where there is a rock, the route continues straight in the direction of the curve on which warns AGACS, with a speed limit of 80 mph and a high density of traffic , also of heavy vehicles. But if the road crossed two kilometers above indicate, it would be on a line where vehicles can not exceed 50 kilometers per hour and which could even paint a pedestrian crossing would facilitate the mobility of pilgrims reducing the danger considerably. Variant is the way Quiringosta, which also goes under the railway line, saving the time that dreaded railway crossing, to finish again in the way of As Lagoas, officially recognized as the layout.

The risk increases each year because, besides the traffic that supports the track, also the number of pilgrims multiplies. Not surprisingly, Tui is from this year's second preferred output by pilgrims from all roads to Compostela.7.5% of the total start their way from the municipality and 31 August, had already used this route and therefore had already passed through these two black dots 37,439 people.

The association also warns of risk areas on the stretch of the N-550 closest to O Porriño, where demand crosswalks to save roundabouts.

Looking at the photo - where please is the problem? SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can understand the problem with the N-550, but not the railway crossing. Buen Camino, SY

That is how I understand it too. The photo in the article and title, confuses the reader into thinking that rail crossing is dangerous but it is the stretch along the highway that is of concern.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That is how I understand it too. The photo in the article and title, confuses the reader into thinking that rail crossing is dangerous but it is the stretch along the highway that is of concern.

I am doing the pilgrimage from Porto in November and trying to understand what this post is about..... I need to do more research, so, please forgive me, but, are you saying do not cross the N550 but the railway crossing is ok to do so?

Please clarify in plain English ....

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In plain English whether you are walking on the Camino or in London make sure to look left and right and be careful at crossings of main roads and railways. My interpretation of the article is that it is the standard local government item where someone raises a flag to improve their own publicity by pointing out all they are doing to resolve a minor local hazard. I walked the section at Easter this year and that section rarely registered a blip in my "need to be careful here" conscious. So follow the arrows...but remember to be careful is the simple outcome in my view.

Having said that the article is very useful here for people to know that there is something being planned by those job it is to do so in relation to resolving known hazards!

The article points to two particular parts of the Portugues where things could be improved for safety issues: the railway crossing near O Porino, where stones get lose, according to the article, and is an issue according to the article (I don't get how this is an issue but in other crossings the stones are replaced by pavement) and another spot where you have to cross a fast moving road at a point that is not optimal as it is in a curve, vs having people cross in a section that is perfectly straight, where traffic can be easily seen. I do not recall that section pushing me into traffic blind, but can certainly agree on the principle, as long as there is enough space for people to walk off road before the curve. No need to panick nor to extensive research.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back