• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting Old.

tillyjones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances June 2015
VDLP May 2017
del Norte Sept 2018
I am of a certain age. That certain age where 'getting old' starts to rear its head when it simply was never a conceivable concept before. It has come on aggressively in the last year or so, since my last Camino.

My hair suddenly has a lot of natural highlights.

I've been thinking about, and planning for packing. I trialled a pair of shorts but now my legs have lost their athleticism and have that sort of saggy skin thing going on so I think I'm limited to knee length or lower if I'm to be discrete about my true age.

But most importantly, my vision. I have increasingly needed to use old lady glasses to see the same things I've never had trouble seeing before. Panic set in today when I realized I'd be alone in a foreign country. I certainly don't want to use the pack space for a pair of old lady glasses. But what a horror it would be if I get myself into a pickle simply because I can't read something.

This aging thing is the pits.

At least I get cheap highlights though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, I've long been a full time glasses wearer, and even as I packed an extra pair in case one was lost and I needed to see, my pack was not too heavy.

Having been to that transition point and hence through it, I know how shocking it can be. The thing that's not the pits is that I am so ok with my age. I mean, what's the alternative, if I want to be happy?

PS. I'm going next year, at 64, walking the Norte. I'm taking a skirt. ;-)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wear bifocal contact lenses.

I was using reading glasses, but then I was cleaning out a hole in a Belgian horse's humongous hoof and my glasses fell off onto the ground, and I had to kick them out of the way into a manure pile or the horse would step on them, This, all the while I was maintaining my balance with a 2 ton horse trying to get her leg free from my grasp and put her foot down.

I figured it was time not to have deal with reading glasses. :)

But I look old anyway. ;)

Last edited:
I am of a certain age. That certain age where 'getting old' starts to rear its head when it simply was never a conceivable concept before. It has come on aggressively in the last year or so, since my last Camino.

I've been thinking about, and planning for packing. I trialled a pair of shorts but now my legs have lost their athleticism and have that sort of saggy skin thing going on so I think I'm limited to knee length or lower if I'm to be discrete about my true age.

But most importantly, my vision. I have increasingly needed to use old lady glasses to see the same things I've never had trouble seeing before. Panic set in today when I realized I'd be alone in a foreign country. I certainly don't want to use the pack space for a pair of old lady glasses. But what a horror it would be if I get myself into a pickle simply because I can't read something.

Welcome to the not so exclusive club. I wore these all the way to the End of the World.

1526252275892.jpeg1526252275892.jpeg1526252275892.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, I'm also a certain age (65 in my case) - my hair is now almost uniformly grey/silver and my struggle against anorexia has been, if anything, too successful. I would not inflict my bare legs on an unsuspecting public.

I have worn contacts for 30 years but need reading glasses to read a map or guide book - so I carry a pair in my shirt pocket. Lots of people on the Camino wear glasses, so you won't stand out. There are worse aspects to aging - but also many good points, the main one being that you no longer give a s**t what anyone thinks of you!

And, if I may say so, judging from your photo, you have a long way to go before you could be considered "getting old!"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hey, have you thought about a pair of sunglasses that has a bifocal....that is, plain old sunglass tint in the top for viewing distance, and then a line fairly low in each lenses, below which is a reading ("old lady" lens )also known as a "plus lens") ? These are available without a prescription - you can order them through many retailers.....Sierra Trading Post, REI, etc.....as long as you know what strength of help you need in the lower lens (just choose whatever you are wearing in your reading glasses, which are probably a single power (the entire lens is the reading power). I had cataract surgery, but still occasionally want a bit of help with labels, newspapers, etc. This way, you just wear the glasses as you would sunglasses, but then have your reading lens on as well. In a pinch, especially if NOT wanting to carry a regular clear set of reading glasses, you can manage to read a menu inside, for instance. If you really need your readers for reading, say, a book or Kindle inside, then you will want clear lenses. If you want to spend more, you could also have a pair made with a bifocal, AND a lens coating called a Transitions lens, that would automatically darken out in the sun. Those you'd have to get made by an optical department, but it's not difficult. That would be the ultimate in a multitasking pair of glasses. Isn't this age fun?????ugh

I wear my homemade merino wool hiking dresses, which are knee length, because something is going on above the knees that I don't like. :eek:
And I've noticed that every year they make the print on packaging much smaller, forcing me to buy stronger reading glasses, and causing me to have an almost permanent dent on the bridge of my nose.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This thread reminds me of an email "warning" I read a while ago:

"Most of you have read the scare-mail about the person whose kidneys were
stolen while he was passed out. Well, read on. While it was an "urban
legend," this one is not. It's happening every day.
My thighs were stolen from me during the night of August 3rd a few
years ago. It was just that quick. I went to sleep in my body and woke
up with someone else's thighs. The new ones had the texture of cooked
oatmeal. Who would have done such a cruel thing to legs that had been
wholly, if imperfectly, mine for years. Whose thighs were these? What
happened to mine?
I spent the entire summer looking for them. I searched, in vain, at
pools and beaches, anywhere I might find female limbs exposed. I became
obsessed. I had nightmares filled with cellulite and flesh that turns to
bumps in the night. Finally, hurt and angry, I resigned myself to living
out my life in jeans and Sheer Energy pantyhose.
Then, just when my guard was down, the thieves struck again. My butt
was next. I knew it was the same gang because they took pains to match
my new rear end (although badly attached at least three inches lower
than the original) to the thighs they had stuck me with earlier. Now my
rear complimented my legs, lump for lump. Frantic, I prayed that long
skirts would stay in fashion.
It was 2 years ago when I realized my arms had been switched. One
morning while fixing my hair, I watched, horrified but fascinated, as
the flesh of my upper arms swung to and for with the motion of the
hairbrush. This was really getting scary. My body was being replaced,
cleverly and fiendishly, one section at a time.
Age? Age had nothing to do with it. Age was supposed to creep up,
unnoticed something like maturity.
NO, I was being attacked, repeatedly and without warning.
In the end, in deepening despair, I gave up my T-shirts. What could
they do to me next? My eyes began to remind people that they needed a
new pair of Hush Puppies. My poor neck disappeared more quickly than the
Thanksgiving turkey it now reminded me of.
That's why I've decided to tell my story; I can't take on the medical
profession by myself. Women of America, wake up and smell the coffee!
That isn't really "plastic" those surgeons are using.
You know where they're getting those replacement parts, don't you? The
next time you suspect someone has had a face "lifted," look again! Was
it lifted from you?
Are those your eyelids on that movie star? I think I finally may have
found my thighs...and I hope that Cindy Crawford paid a really good
price for them!
This is happening to women in every town every night. Warn all your
friends.
P.S. I feel much better knowing this is happening, I thought I was just
getting old! I must say that last year I thought someone had stolen my
breasts. I was lying in bed and they were gone, as I sprang from my bed
I was relieved to see that they were just hiding in my pajama bottoms.
After reading this, I will keep them hidden in my waistband."

Last edited:

I suggest looking at Thinoptics keychain reading glasses. I've got them and plan to use them when I walk next Spring. Here is a link on Amazon: Thinoptics Keychain Reading Glasses

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I don’t mind the changing physical body as much as the declining eyesight. I have lost two prescription glasses that, when I’m walking, I now carry the $2 kind, and keep the other pair in my bag with an extra cheapie. I do ,however, love the seniors discount wherever it’s offered, as well as the seniors parking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I remember on my first night getting into that lower bunk thinking what do I do with my glasses. Well I ended up hanging them by the strap on the coils of the bed above me. I did this every night from Pamplona to Santiago. One day I walked for about an hour before I realized I had left my glasses. I walked back and there they where hanging on the bed frame spring above where I had slept. May not have been the best place but it worked for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You’re not alone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

My stock reply to the aging question is that I’m not participating in this aging thing. I figure if I keep acting like a kid some of that will rub off. A little denial never hurt anyone. ;-)

Well, I'm also a certain age (65 in my case) - my hair is now almost uniformly grey/silver and my struggle against anorexia has been, if anything, too successful. I would not inflict my bare legs on an unsuspecting public.

I have worn contacts for 30 years but need reading glasses to read a map or guide book - so I carry a pair in my shirt pocket. Lots of people on the Camino wear glasses, so you won't stand out. There are worse aspects to aging - but also many good points, the main one being that you no longer give a s**t what anyone thinks of you!

And, if I may say so, judging from your photo, you have a long way to go before you could be considered "getting old!"

"My struggle against anorexia has been ... too successful."

LMAO.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey, Tilley...haven’t seen your posts for a while. When and where you goin’ Caminoing again?.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trecile , I'm still trying to stifle the laughter , I almost snorted my coffee !

Tilly , you need a hug , one virtual, brotherly, Camino one is on its way :)

Hello from a fellow Canuck (Ottawa). You don’t look “old”, not sure of your actual age but when I turned 60 this year I realized that this was it, more years behind me than ahead and yes I’m not as strong or energetic as before BUT I am choosing to mature gracefully and live actively. I finished the Camino del Norte 1 month ago, walked alone in March (rained almost daily) and used my iPhone online map & guide book which I could magnify as needed. I carried my cheap readers in my waist pouch. Forget the “flabby this and that body part”.....OMG on the Camino you’ll see young ones in much worse shape than you wearing stretchy shorts you wouldn’t even wear at home alone . Buen camino and welcome to this journey called LIFE.....embrace it with all of you ❤️

Thanks for the smile, Tilly. I am grateful for the wonderful array of fashionable, but cheap, readers. I no longer need to bring out a pocket light to read micro printed menus in restaurants illuminated sublimely. You look great! Love the hair! But I tell ya, going bald is easier care than going grey. In the inimitable words of Dr. Seuss, “You’re only old once!” (Flip side is that I consider each birthday now as representing one more year of accumulated youth. ) Cheers!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe that's why God makes our eyes go bad, then.
My mother in law was a very pretty lady who wore glasses all the time. When we traveled with her she would remove them every time she looked in the mirror. When asked why she did that she replied "Just vanity, it's so I can't see the wrinkles, therefore I don't have them." :)

Last edited:
My mother in law was a very pretty lady whore glasses all the time. When traveling with her she would remove them every time she looked in the mirror. When asked why she did that she replied "Just vanity, it's so I can't see the wrinkles, therefore I don't have them." :)
Suggesting an edit before your spouse finds their readers...”who wore”. Let’s blame “auto suggest” combined with a too small font size....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My mother in law was a very pretty lady whore glasses all the time. When traveling with her she would remove them every time she looked in the mirror. When asked why she did that she replied "Just vanity, it's so I can't see the wrinkles, therefore I don't have them." :)

Oh dear. That's the best chuckle I've had on this thread yet.

While walking the Camino a few years ago I was lamenting how slow I had to walk and that I sure could have walked better 20 years ago (I was 65 at the time).

I then caught up to a nice Italian couple who were walking their 3rd or 4th Camino. They were in their late 70s and their first comment was how nice it was to be alive, be able to walk, and just enjoy the day and the people you meet.

Kind of put age into perspective.

Keep walking!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

My daughter and I did our Camino last year from SJPP to Santiago. Walked the whole way with back packs. I was 72 and many people we met thought we wouldn't make it--but we did. I realized that I really wasn't that old when we met a pilgrim with back pack walking his Camino. He was 90. Daughter and I plan to do the Portuguese way next year all the way to Muxia for my 74th birthday. You are only as old as you think you are. Have fun.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After reading this, I will keep them hidden in my waistband.

Yes, know your anatomy!

Reminds me of this story about a woman, who wanted to commit suicide, and she searched the internet for a proper way to do it, and found out, that a gunshot under the left breast would be a guaranteed success.

Next day you could read in the local paper: “Elderly woman brought to hospital with gunshot wound in left knee.”

Hi Tilly
One of the “joys”/“perks” of getting older (lm almost 80) is having cataract surgeries . When I had mine done a couple of years ago my doctor fixed on eye for distance and the other for reading.
I’m not sure how your insurance works but for me in USA it didn’t cost anything.
We heading out to Pamplona on the 6th

@trecile , OMG...This is too funny!!!!

This thread is enjoyable for its many interesting perspectives (literally and figuratively). Trecile, you hit all the right notes in your opus on what our bodies experience when we live long enough. Considering the alternative, I'll take crepey skin and I don't care who sees me in shorts and "T" shirt. I was 75 when I did the Camino Frances in 2017. On Mother's Day (May 7th), I overnighted in Castanares not far from Burgos. As for glasses, I purchased two pair of "el cheapo supremo" readers @$3.50 from Ace Hardware in my home town of Anacortes. They served the desired purpose of being able to read messages on my I-Phone. I lost one pair along the way; the other survived to Paris in a slightly modified, duct taped, version of the original. Keep on moving. Enjoy the journey. Listen to the Cuckoo. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As someone who has relied on glasses since the age of 10 in order to identify my loved ones at a distance of more than 6 inches and find my way out of the bedroom each morning, I don't think you have too much to complain about! Buy a pair of funky coloured reading glasses and rock the look.

What a great series of replies! Very funny and good hearted. Thanks to all. My first thought is to say that I think it makes sense to have a pair(s) of back up glasses with you, because being without corrective lenses on the Camino would be either irritating or a real problem. For my part, I buy readers from the dollar store or Walmart and these do the job well and I have them stashed everywhere around the house and in the car and carry multiples in my luggage. Anyway, regarding aging, I just had bilateral knee replacement surgery, which I underwent so that I can walk the Camino next year, in the spring. That's classic "aging" for you. But, really, glasses and joint replacements are things that are worth thinking about but secondary to getting out on the Camino and moving forward day by day, even if a bit slower than days before. Congratulations to all who replied so cheerfully and thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They never tell us our, "Best Before Date," or expiration either. I think we are supposed to learn to take it as it comes.

I started the Camino Frances a second time, just a week ago, feels like longer. I fell down a spiral staircase, not a grand palatial one but a steep one, in a hostel, on my way to the train to Bayonne on May 6. Now, after walking to Manereu, a town just after Puente de la Reina, I have to call it quits, again, for the same reason as last time, IT Band Syndrome. My best has been left out there and the gift the Camino has provided, personally, is my limitations, with this body. It does not depress me. Instead, i feel moved in new directions.

Staying in SdC overnight and will be home in two days.

Last edited:
Members looking to spot this particular moderator on the trail by his avatar would do better to listen for a Tinker-ish hrumph. That hat didn't get to be as old as I am and the beard wanders about a lot. One comforting thought though - you are never as old as the camino you're on :)
Yes, I remember seeing that scruffy gentleman awhile back when he was sporting his new shell tattoo. ;)

They never tell us our, "Best Before Date," or expiration either. I think we are supposed to learn to take it as it comes.

I started the Camino Frances a second time, just a week ago, feels like longer. I fell down a spiral staircase, not a grand palatial one but a step one, in a hostel, on my way to the train to Bayonne on May 6. Now, after walking to Manereu, a town just after Puente de la Reina, I have to call it quits, again, for the same reason as last time, IT Band Syndrome. My best has been left out there and the gift the Camino has provided, personally, is my limitations, with this body. It does not depress me. Instead, i feel moved in new directions.

Oh Michelle, I'm so very sorry to hear this happened to you again. Well done for walking as far as you did though! And of course for knowing when to call it. You have such a great attitude to all of this. Thinking of you.

Oh tillyjones, age is only a number, you have to appreciate the wisdom you have gained getting to this number, always remember that you were probably very glamorous at 18 years, the wrinkles you know have you have earned them. I’m 65 years young and when you get to that number you’ll look and appreciate the beauty of youth. As for spec, they are an accessory

A great uplifting thread for my before breakfast read here in Oz. If only an extra pair of glasses was my only packing worry. I am shortsighted so will need an extra clear pair plus sunglasses - total 3 pairs. As I look forward to my first Camino in Sep this year - approaching 67 - I have a small and somewhat inconvenient legacy from a recent prostate op. @davebugg, you seem to be the Forum’s medical guru - will the Farmacias along The Way be able to provide? The first phrase of Spanish I have mastered is ‘Hola, vendes compresas de incontinencia masculinas por favor?’ No matter - I have waited too long already, so come what may I am doing the Camino - in shorts too !!!! Better make sure I get a lower bunk. If this is too much information - apologies. Cooee

I started the Camino Frances a second time, just a week ago, feels like longer. I fell down a spiral staircase, not a grand palatial one but a step one, in a hostel, on my way to the train to Bayonne on May 6. Now, after walking to Manereu, a town just after Puente de la Reina, I have to call it quits, again, for the same reason as last time, IT Band Syndrome. My best has been left out there and the gift the Camino has provided, personally, is my limitations, with this body. It does not depress me. Instead, i feel moved in new directions.

Oh Michelle, so sorry to hear! It must be so disappointing. Hope you can rest well and take it easy. If your flight isn't until later, please do drop into Pilgrim House tomorrow (can you walk?!) and hang out with Mariano, Bruce, and John.
Take care,
Faith

My heart hurts for you, Michelle; you were so excited about doing this Camino. I am happy to hear that this unexpected ending is only starting a new beginning for you. What a wonderful spirit you have. :)

If you want to wear shorts---wear them! Lighten up. This isn't a beauty contest. Last year, I wore shorts everyday but one---and I am 75. I start again in St. Jean next week, and I will wear shorts if the weather allows. Who cares? So nobody was admiring my legs---so what? They were comfortable. On the Camino, we are all family, aren't we?

Most of you have read the scare-mail about the person whose kidneys were
happened to mine?
it lifted from you?
price for them!
friends.
Wow, you're good. Very funny! I think I had the best turkey neck on the Camino(or was that the worst?).

Michelle, I have just read your post, and see to my dismay what has happened to you. At least the signs are that there will be a case of ‘if at first you don’t succeed...’ Have a safe trip home. You might even be overhead as I write!

Oh Michelle, so sorry to hear! It must be so disappointing. Hope you can rest well and take it easy. If your flight isn't until later, please do drop into Pilgrim House tomorrow (can you walk?!) and hang out with Mariano, Bruce, and John.
Take care,
Faith
Walking must now be reserved for getting home. I do appreciate the offer though. Leaving for airport in 20 minutes, fly to Dublin at 4 pm, will be in my own bed Wednesday night.

Hi Tilly,
I have to say your post makes me quite sad! You seem to be very ageist against your poor self! I have a big problem with age and how people are labelled too old/young/past it etc!!!! I'm a 34 yr old lady,did the Camino last year. The variation in ages of the people doing it was fantastic,I met people in their 70s/80s that were giving me a fair run for my money!! Don't let a few digits determine what you do/wear etc Please!!! Life is short and there to be lived to the full.
I remember one of the Albergues I was staying in,I went to shower and when I returned to my bunk,a French lady who was the other side of 70,was lying on my bed in just her knickers and a t shirt. No,she wasn't trying to seduce me,my bed had a plug at the side of it that she was using to charge her phone!! I thought she was fantastic. I'd be so self concious in my underwear but she didnt care one single bit which i just loved. Certainly thought me a lesson about attitude 2 life(however did not encourage me to flash my undies). Have a fabulous Camino Tilly

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Tilly,
I have to say your post makes me quite sad! You seem to be very ageist against your poor self! I have a big problem with age and how people are labelled too old/young/past it etc!!!! I'm a 34 yr old lady,did the Camino last year. The variation in ages of the people doing it was fantastic,I met people in their 70s/80s that were giving me a fair run for my money!! Don't let a few digits determine what you do/wear etc Please!!! Life is short and there to be lived to the full.
I remember one of the Albergues I was staying in,I went to shower and when I returned to my bunk,a French lady who was the other side of 70,was lying on my bed in just her knickers and a t shirt. No,she wasn't trying to seduce me,my bed had a plug at the side of it that she was using to charge her phone!! I thought she was fantastic. I'd be so self concious in my underwear but she didnt care one single bit which i just loved. Certainly thought me a lesson about attitude 2 life(however did not encourage me to flash my undies). Have a fabulous Camino Tilly

It's more or less just a matter of mentally adjusting to the abrupt arrival of 'old age' and the changes it brings.

I'm 56 and I have noticed significant changes in my body, changes I do not like. But I'm so proud of my feet and my legs! My feet are the best! I can count on them to walk me anywhere as long as the shoes are sensible! And my legs - they do not look their best but they are strong and reliable. I would not want to change my legs for anything in the world. They got me to the top of Kilimanjaro, they climbed Ben Nevis after doing the WHW and then continued on to the GGW in Scotland- and did they complain? No, they just continued on, no pain. A bit tired and worn at the end but then, a three week hiking holiday in Scotland carrying all your gear for wildcamping is not for everybody.
I'm grateful for my feet and legs no matter how they look, no matter the degree of flabbering skin. When I end a long day of walking I'm thankful, I still can do it and one of my goals is to be running and walking/hiking when I'm 80 and still wearing short skirts.
Be proud and thankful for the body you have no matter what your age is!

"Most of you have read the scare-mail about the person whose kidneys were
happened to mine?
it lifted from you?
price for them!
friends.
After reading this, I will keep them hidden in my waistband."
Thank you
My body

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, @MichelleElynHogan , so eloquently said, and such an uplifting response to what could have been construed a disaster.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I feel your pain (especially as a man of that certain age that no life nager had the trust of the bladder which insists in being emptied several times during the night) but then I think of the alternative to getting older...

And then I start walking again, while I can!

This thread is enjoyable for its many interesting perspectives (literally and figuratively). Trecile, you hit all the right notes in your opus on what our bodies experience when we live long enough. Considering the alternative, I'll take crepey skin and I don't care who sees me in shorts and "T" shirt. I was 75 when I did the Camino Frances in 2017. On Mother's Day (May 7th), I overnighted in Castanares not far from Burgos. As for glasses, I purchased two pair of "el cheapo supremo" readers @$3.50 from Ace Hardware in my home town of Anacortes. They served the desired purpose of being able to read messages on my I-Phone. I lost one pair along the way; the other survived to Paris in a slightly modified, duct taped, version of the original. Keep on moving. Enjoy the journey. Listen to the Cuckoo. Buen Camino!
John Crawford Howell-I agree with you! I love wearing shorts and a tshirt. And Tilly Jones- wear shorts if you want, wear whatever you want, enjoy life. As one gets older, why not? Be comfortable in your own skin (no matter where it hangs :cool:;))

My darling woman age is just a no. Don't dwell on it too.much just do it. Think of all the people who would lose out on meeting you.

€83,-

What is this getting old business?
You're on the Camino for 500 miles. How many people half your age could walk day after day until you get to Santiago?
Old lady glasses?? Please don't perpetuate a stereotype.

Danny
www.hikertohiker.com Older than you!!

I suggest looking at Thinoptics keychain reading glasses. I've got them and plan to use them when I walk next Spring. Here is a link on Amazon: Thinoptics Keychain Reading Glasses
You should be walking with me. I promise I will be sweet as much as I can. And we won’t see each other much when we are walking. You walk faster than me and I like being alone and you will talk to anybody and talk all day!!!!! Priscilla wants you to be with me too! She has told me cosmically.

It seems the various skin folds and erstwhile firm regions are accelerating earthwards at 9.8m/s/s.
The good news is (unless I have the physics wrong) that the rate of acceleration is independent of the mass !

So bring on the Camino Carbs and Rioja's best. If its going to keep free falling, may as well enjoy the ride:)

€83,-
Funny thread - thanks all! I walked the full CF a few years back at 75 - then went back for a 2nd dose the next year. Now I'm planning the Ruta Portuguese, but that will have to wait until I'm a little bit older. BTW those are Rx sunglasses I'm wearing so I can see all those 'certain age' girls!

You should be walking with me. I promise I will be sweet as much as I can. And we won’t see each other much when we are walking. You walk faster than me and I like being alone and you will talk to anybody and talk all day!!!!! Priscilla wants you to be with me too! She has told me cosmically.
That sure prompted a hearty laugh! Talk to anybody and talk all day...I love it!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I thought I was old when I did my first Camino at 65. Now 8 years later having just finished a 5th camino I’m even older and the 60-something’s seem like kids. Be grateful for what you can do now. It won’t get better, but you can keep on doing what you can do.

I'm celebrating my 70th birthday in September by being on the trail somewhere along the Via Podiensis. Concerned about my knees, not my looks. As for eyesight, I have cataracts, no medical insurance and so I'll be the one bumbling along asking for help with reading small print. And pleased as a gamboling wallaby to be there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah, a certain age, where you care less about appearance and more about personality and character. Being on the downside of 65, and doing my first Camino in a few days, I marvel at the fact I am healthy enough to walk with relative ease and aleve. To be retired and have the time to myself, with my children, grandchildren and a few great grands as well. Sitting in the airport about six hours early and people watch is a joy and helps pass the time. I have a few extra pounds that I plan on leaving in Spain and hope my children will recognize me on my return. I'll wear shorts and show off my bandy legs, not so toned arms and a wrinkled face with not a care in the world. Cheers.....Craig

Ah, a certain age, where you care less about appearance and more about personality and character. Being on the downside of 65, and doing my first Camino in a few days, I marvel at the fact I am healthy enough to walk with relative ease and aleve. To be retired and have the time to myself, with my children, grandchildren and a few great grands as well. Sitting in the airport about six hours early and people watch is a joy and helps pass the time. I have a few extra pounds that I plan on leaving in Spain and hope my children will recognize me on my return. I'll wear shorts and show off my bandy legs, not so toned arms and a wrinkled face with not a care in the world. Cheers.....Craig
Buen Camino Craig!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Michelle, in spite of your good attitude in having to end your Camino much earlier than planned, I feel very disappointed for you and sad to hear this news! I hope you have a speedy recovery back home and I wish you well wherever your new direction takes you.
Thank You Chris,

However, it only seems that I am down when I am really not. God and the Camino proved to me I can walk 100 km. After that, it is going to be a toss up. When parts get weakened, they are not going to last longer without putting up a fuss, and that is part of us learning to listen to our Body.

For me, this is part of the success of my Camino. The most important thought that came to me, after climbing down from Alto de Perdon is, "Intelligence is nothing without capability." This will mean different things to different people, and is meant to. The only thing it is never going to be is an insult.

Beyond this, I have found the Heart to begin refresher studies in Calculus and Differential Equations as a precursor to beginning a Batchelor's degree in Astrophysics, a dream I have had all my life. My greatest dream is to complete a doctorate and work at the Perimeter Institute with some of the greatest minds in Astrophysics.

As for the Camino, I plan to begin in Ireland next year by walking the required 25 km there and then walk the Camino Ingles to finish in SdC. And if I need to, I can walk 5 km a day, LOL.

Most read last week in this forum

Am arriving St. Jean 31st March (Easter Sunday), and start walking April 1st. Any suggestions about how busy St. Jean is likely to be, and whether it's necessary to book a hostel?
Hallo everyone, first of all, thank you to you all for being so generous sharing your questions and experience. When I was not sure when my next camino would start reading about socks choice...
I know October is not a month with many pilgrims but will we have a calendar for checking in on this section of the forum?
Hi, I’m Jen. I live in the US in Vancouver, Washington which is part of the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. I am planning to walk the Camino Portugués. I will take the traditional central...
Hey everyone, I am Ali, going to do two weeks of camino the french way. I am based in Barcelona so I will start my journey by going to Pampolna on March 23rd and from there to Saint Jean Pied de...
I leave Richmond, VA, for SJPdP, arriving on Monday, 25 March. Many thanks to Ivar for creating this community forum and for all the contributions from so many pilgrims! The resources, insights...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.