• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting the right wet weather rig

Boot of the Beast

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017 Camino Frances
Not sure what to do about getting together the best wet weather fitout for my next camino.

This year I walked from StJpD to Burgos. I had a Sea to Summit rain poncho and Hoka One One (waterproof) shoes. I chose the poncho because I was worried about overheating with a rain jacket and pants. I was planning to wear (non waterproof) running shoes but bought the Hokas in a bit of a panic when my plantar fasciitis flared up about a month before departure. They were the lowest cut version (shoes not boots)So the waterproof part was just a bit of a bonus. A dubious bonus at that because on the only day of solid rain they quickly filled up with water!

The rainy day was going from Orisson to Roncesvalles. The wind was blowing in from the side so I my clothes got pretty wet down one side.

So what could I do better next time? You know, even though the poncho proved a mixed success I still want to go with that, so adverse am I to the thought of heating up under jacket and pants. The Hokas generally worked out well for me and hey after successfully achieving what I set out to do this year, despite the PF setback in the lead up, I don't exactly want to mess with that part of the formula. So I am thinking I could either: Get a higher cut version of the Hokas and combine this with gaiters? Stick with what I have and combine them with gaiters? or maybe get some Hoka running shoes an accept that I will get wet feet from time to time.

So I guess my question comes down to: Will gaiter help and if so which ones would be best?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I took gaiters and used them often, they worked like a champ. I was in a very definite minority on the trail though. Most people just seemed to let their feet get wet, which would give me blisters in no time. Gortex shoes, Gortex gaiters (knee length), and a poncho worked great for me. On the other hand my wife swore it rained every day on our camino, and we needed the rain gear. She exaggerates though, it wasn't more than half the days.......

Buen Camino!

I love Frogg Toggs and they come in both a poncho or rain jacket/pants...my preference. In severe ongoing rain they never let me down. They are extremely lightweight and seem truly breathable as I never got sweaty.

I have walked all three caminos in trail runners. I like them because they are so lightweight and I personally have had no issues with blisters when they got soaked with rain. The water squishes out and they dry out quickly.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love Frogg Toggs and they come in both a poncho or rain jacket/pants. In severe ongoing rain they never let me down. They are extremely lightweight and seem truly breathable as I never got sweaty.

I have walked all three caminos in trail runners. I like them because they are so lightweight and I personally have had no issues with blisters when they got soaked with rain. The water squishes out and they dry out quickly.
Good thread @Boot of the Beast. I’m in need of a new rain jacket too. This last camino I had a Rainbird jacket that kept me bone dry but was not windproof and in spring it got pretty chilly when the wind got up.

Chris, which jacket did you get? I looked at the Froggs Toggs site and there were so many choices I didn’t know where to start. I like a long jacket because I wear it as a warm layer as well as rain gear. Happy to wear a men’s jacket. Your advice will be apreciated. :)

Good thread @Boot of the Beast. I’m in need of a new rain jacket too. This last camino I had a Rainbird jacket that kept me bone dry but was not windproof and in spring it got pretty chilly when the wind got up.

Chris, which jacket did you get? I looked at the Froggs Toggs site and there were so many choices I didn’t know where to start. I like a long jacket because I wear it as a warm layer as well as rain gear. Happy to wear a men’s jacket. Your advice will be apreciated. :)
Hi Heda, I own the cheaper Men's UltraLite2 in a size sm, which is still quite roomy on me. It folds up small and comes in its own bag. It does act as a windbreaker too. I didn't always use the rainpants unless a downpour. The fit is not especially attractive on a female as it is quite boxy, but I forfeited that for its other features. My son had prior hiking three long distance trails in the USA using them. I originally purchased the ladies version, which had a nice slimming look and the jacket was a little longer and came in a deep shade of pink (well, I am a girl). Ha! It was more expensive and when it arrived the different fabric was bulky and stiff, not soft and supple like the one my son owned, so I sent it back and ordered the other in blue. Do you have a date set for your next Camino? Chris
Screenshot_2017-10-05-06-27-02.jpg

I wore a Marmot rain jacket and rain pants in some heavy rain. They worked well. My waterproof Vasque shoes did OK until the heavy rain and deep puddles. Changing socks was not a viable option as the fresh socks would be wet within a half hour. A good rain jacket will be breathable. Rain pants, not so much. This was in May, so the temperatures were mild.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Heda, I own the cheaper Men's UltraLite2 in a size sm, which is still quite roomy on me. It folds up small and comes in its own bag. It does act as a windbreaker too. I didn't always use the rainpants unless a downpour. The fit is not especially attractive on a female as it is quite boxy, but I forfeited that for its other features. My son had prior hiking three long distance trails in the USA using them. I originally purchased the ladies version, which had a nice slimming look and the jacket was a little longer and came in a deep shade of pink (well, I am a girl). Ha! It was more expensive and when it arrived the different fabric was bulky and stiff, not soft and supple like the one my son owned, so I sent it back and ordered the other in blue. Do you have a date set for your next Camino? Chris
View attachment 36645
Yay thanks Chris will look into it. Thinking maybe next time I’ll do a few weeks of Spanish language classes in Leon, then start from there and maybe do a variant along the way plus the Muxia Finisterra circuit. Loved early spring this year but have other fish to fry next year so doubt I can do it in 2018. Or maybe a Portuguese camino? Who knows? Not me. :):)
But none of the above stops me having a full camino kit stashed away just in case! :p:p:p
And you?

Last edited:
Yay thanks Chris will look into it. Thinking maybe next time I’ll do a few weeks of Spanish language classes in Leon, then start from there and maybe do a variant along the way plus the Muxia Finisterra circuit. Loved early spring this year but have other fish to fry next year so doubt I can do it in 2018. Or maybe a Portuguese camino? Who knows? Not me. :):)
But none of the above stops me having a full camino kit stashed away just in case! :p:p:p
And you?
Your future plans sound good. I am planning to walk the LePuy route to Mossaic in June of 2018 with two Camino girlfriends. It will seem more real when we finally push the "send" button to pay for our flights!
(P.S. I like your new shoe avatar. :))

Whether to bring a poncho or a rain jacket is a matter of preference - and much discussion.

I like the Ferrino Trekker "poncho" (it's actually a coat), which performs brilliantly in gusting winds and sleet, while also covering my pack. The "new" Altus, I dislike very much. The only Packa I've seen, didn't cover the bloke's rear end, so he looked like he had peed in his pants.

In a strong head wind, any jacket or poncho will creep up over your knees, so for the legs, I use a pair of rain leggings, that leads the runoff below the top of my boots. The rain leggings also allow me to use the shorter (and lighter) small/meduim size Ferrino.

A rain jacket should be combined with either rain pants (don't you simply love walking with a clammy crotch?), or a rain kilt. It should also be combined with protection for your pack. I don't trust rain covers, as the straps wick the rain down your back and into the pack. A much better solution, is using a pack liner (which, if kept closed, also keeps bugs out of your things). Personally, as a carry-over from wilderness hiking, I prefer using dry bags for the things I want to keep dry - one for my clothes and one for my sleeping gear - even when using the Ferrino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have used bicycle rainjackets as they were less roomy in cut so as to avoid too much fabric under straps and back.
I have used Endura Luminite as it was bright yellow, I walk to my job day and night close to traffic.
Of late, ie after 6 years, the rain is bleeding through at the shoulders.

New buy is Endura MT500, for mountain bikes, and which is not slimline at the hips, has a short front so as to allow for the hipbelt, liberal vent zips front and underarms and has a fabulous hood large enough to contain the helmet, in my case my stetson medium brimmed hat.
Has got fabulous specs for water repellancy and breathability...
Do look it up.

Whether to bring a poncho or a rain jacket is a matter of preference - and much discussion.

I like the Ferrino Trekker "poncho" (it's actually a coat), which performs brilliantly in gusting winds and sleet, while also covering my pack. The "new" Altus, I dislike very much. The only Packa I've seen, didn't cover the bloke's rear end, so he looked like he had peed in his pants.

In a strong head wind, any jacket or poncho will creep up over your knees, so for the legs, I use a pair of rain leggings, that leads the runoff below the top of my boots. The rain leggings also allow me to use the shorter (and lighter) small/meduim size Ferrino.

A rain jacket should be combined with either rain pants (don't you simply love walking with a clammy crotch?), or a rain kilt. It should also be combined with protection for your pack. I don't trust rain covers, as the straps wick the rain down your back and into the pack. A much better solution, is using a pack liner (which, if kept closed, also keeps bugs out of your things). Personally, as a carry-over from wilderness hiking, I prefer using dry bags for the things I want to keep dry - one for my clothes and one for my sleeping gear - even when using the Ferrino.
You've added lots of good information. My Frogg Togg rain pants are featherlight and breathable, just like the jacket. Like you, I use a trash compactor bag to line my pack. I feel it secures my belongings from bedbugs, in addition to keeping the rain out. I also spray my pack with Permathrin. I do use my pack raincover too, as it keeps the outside of my pack drier.

Zpack rain pants. Waterproof and breathable and comfortable. Have done 2 caminos and still working well. Garbage bag pack liner and Zpack pack cover.
(P.S. I like your new shoe avatar. :))
They were this year’s camino shoes. There is a very large chain of hardware warehouse stores in Australia called Bunnings and these shoes are in Bunnings colours!:p:p:p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting discussion Thanks Rick and for sharing your experience with gaiters and Chris re the non waterproof alternative.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back