• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wet April?

Daniel Crowe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
Hi all,
I was to do the Frances in May this year but now have to do April if I have any chance! But I was preparing for slightly warmer and maybe drier conditions in May. I did the Frances 5 years ago but I can't remember how wet the conditions were early on. Can anyone tell me how rainy a month April is on the Frances?
I recently got told I have Reynauds, which means colder weather and rain are effectively no bueno for my hands as the blood doesn't travel properly to my fingers. Other than that I'm fairly fit, but I need to be sure of my clothing and jackets.

Thank you,
Daniel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can anyone tell me how rainy a month April is on the Frances?
You can look up past weather data for towns along the Frances on weatherspark.com. The probability of rain on any given day in April is anywhere between 20% and 37% depending on which part of the way you look at. Not surprised to learn that Santiago is amongst the dampest spots on the path! But those are averages based on past history - no one knows what this particular year will be like.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yeah, cheers Bradypus. I'll give her a look. 20% - 37% seems to suggest to pack for more than a couple of rainy days ha

But I was preparing for...
You have to be prepared for a wide range of weather conditions. I would pack the same things for either April or May, but I would expect to use some items more in April than in May. Does that make sense?

You need to have good rain gear. If it rains 10 days in April and only 6 days in May, you will need to have the same things in your backpack. If it is chilly at night 7 times in April and only 5 times in May, you will still need (or at least will want) to have the appropriate layers with you.

Since you have Reynauds, you should have good gloves. You might find that your hands are coldest on those rainy days, especially if you are using poles. Consider taking some light weight warm ones, and even putting waterproof dishwashing gloves over them. I found that my gloves quickly got wet and were uncomfortable and difficult to remove quickly. Maybe experiment with glove combinations at home in the rain, before your Camino. If you don't have enough rain at home ( :rolleyes: ) you could put your planned gloves on your hands, run them under a tap, and then go for a walk with them on. I am actually serious about this!

So, really the planning and preparation is virtually the same for April and May, no matter what the weather turns out to be.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On higher ground it can still be VERY cold and snowy in April. I took a screenshot from the webcam in O Cebreiro on 24 April 2019. Unlikely but far from impossible.

View attachment 142384
It looked a lot like that in April 2012 as did the Cruz Ferro and the Montes de Oca. The historical stats on Aemet and other sources all suggest that snow on the ground is more than just possible in early-mid April along most of the Camino Frances high points. Sound boots, warm gloves and a song-in-your-heart can all come in handy ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also have Reynauds and always carry gloves. Temperatures between 0 and 5 degrees Celsius are the worst! Here is a review of the waterproof gloves I use:

Some of the (not cheap!) waterproof hiking gloves are impossible to get on if your hands are wet!

Last edited:
Hi all,
I was to do the Frances in May this year but now have to do April if I have any chance! But I was preparing for slightly warmer and maybe drier conditions in May. I did the Frances 5 years ago but I can't remember how wet the conditions were early on. Can anyone tell me how rainy a month April is on the Frances?
I recently got told I have Reynauds, which means colder weather and rain are effectively no bueno for my hands as the blood doesn't travel properly to my fingers. Other than that I'm fairly fit, but I need to be sure of my clothing and jackets.

Thank you,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,
I have Raynauds and rarely wear gloves as they don’t allow my hands to warm up. I did take a light nylon liner pair for dry cool mornings… but I would suggest light wool mitts and a waterproof overmitt (which I purchased.)

Hi Daniel,
I have Raynauds and rarely wear gloves as they don’t allow my hands to warm up. I did take a light nylon liner pair for dry cool mornings… but I would suggest light wool mitts and a waterproof overmitt (which I purchased.)
Hi Brenda,
I've noticed that myself, in colder conditions it's almost worse to wear gloves it feels like. It must be to do with the fact that the material is wrapped tighter around your fingers, the blood probably doesn't flow as normal. But I will strongly consider that. Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.