• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting there: Madrid to SJPP

Patty7valleys

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned (2017)
We are arriving Madrid Sunday 3/19 and taking the train to Pamplona. We had planned to stay at Corazon Puro but must now make other arrangements. What's the best way to get from Pamplona to SJPP? We will start walking Monday 3/20.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I plan to take the bus. I stayed at Corazon Puro last year, and I'm sad that it's not a possibility this year. The website Rome2Rio is good for finding transport options.

Thanks for the website--our arrival from Madrid is 2:40 p.m., so it looks as though we will not make the bus. Perhaps taxi is the only option?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To get to SJPdP that same day, it looks like a taxi is your only option and 80-100 euros cost, but not bad if you are able to split it.

We are arriving Madrid Sunday 3/19 and taking the train to Pamplona. We had planned to stay at Corazon Puro but must now make other arrangements. What's the best way to get from Pamplona to SJPP? We will start walking Monday 3/20.
Hi, Patty,

Maybe you would get more answers if you used "hello" and "thank you" in your OP. I know that's of no use for you right now but you just might try Search button or one of the subforums like "getting to/from..."

Anyway Ultreia!

PS (Welcome to the forum :) )

I might be on the same train, but on a different day! I only say this because I do think the train from Madrid to Pamplona, which arrives at 14:30, will be very popular with pilgrims. I would suggest you look for other pilgrims to share a taxi to St. Jean. Pilgrims are easy to spot with their microfiber clothing and 40L backpacks. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for your thoughts about options. We will see if we can find additional riders to share the taxi.

I might be on the same train, but on a different day! I only say this because I do think the train from Madrid to Pamplona, which arrives at 14:30, will be very popular with pilgrims. I would suggest you look for other pilgrims to share a taxi to St. Jean. Pilgrims are easy to spot with their microfiber clothing and 40L backpacks. Buen Camino.

It's interesting that the bus leaves Pamplona before the train arrives there from Madrid--oh well, I hope you are right about finding pilgrims to share the taxi ride! Thanks.

Hi, Patty,

Maybe you would get more answers if you used "hello" and "thank you" in your OP. I know that's of no use for you right now but you just might try Search button or one of the subforums like "getting to/from..."

Anyway Ultreia!

PS (Welcome to the forum :) )
Ummm, I hadn't noticed that every thread on the forum starts with hello and ends with thank you. It's nice, but not necessary to get a response. I didn't find the OP to be rude at all. However pointing out that she didn't use those words is.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

SJPdP is connected by CONDA (ALSA) bus to Pamplona. Schedule varies seasonally. In March its likely one per day.

Did you know there is an airport at Pamplona? The critical factor is the 1430 bus from Pamplona ... a flight might get you there on time.

SJPdP is connected by SNCF train to Bayonne. 4 x daily all year. One advantage is the first train runs at 0745, making staying in Bayonne or Irun a viable option.

Take flight Madrid to Biarritz BIQ. Take Chronoplus #14 to Gare Bayonne.

Take flight Madrid to San Sebastian EAS. Airport is located 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne. Or take Transports64 from Gare d'Hendaye to Place de Basques in Bayonne.

If you want to go from Madrid by bus or train, take Renfe train to Irun/Hendaye or take ALSA bus to San Sebastian.

There is ALSA and PESA bus from San Sebastian/Donostia to Bayonne. Renfe Cercanias trains run from San Sebastian to Irun Renfe Station.

Metro Donostialdea operates trains from Irun Colon (across tracks from Irun Renfe station) to Hendaia (co-located Gare d'Hendaye).

Last edited by a moderator:
whariwharangi makes a good point...
Instead of going to Pamplona, why not fly to Biarritz/Bayonne from Madrid and take the train from there to SJPdP?

Hello, Patty, There were two times that I splurged on transportation on the Camino. One was to ride a horse up the mountain to O'Cebreiero. The second was a taxi from the train station in Pamplona to SJPdP. For me the taxi was more pleasant than a bus, the driver had a wealth of information and pointed out places where we would be walking the next day. Another plus was not having to get to the bus station and waiting for the bus schedule. We just walked out the front door and immediately got our taxi, 100 euros split 2 ways. Yes, there are several different ways to reach SJPdP, researching is part of the fun!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

There is a bus service from Panplona to SJPP. It's about an hour and a bit. You can book online. You can get from Pamplona station to the bus terminal on a local bus. Just follow everyone who has a backpack. There will be plenty. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back