• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good hiking hat

sandykayak

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino InglƩs (2017)
I have three Sunday Afternoons hats with neck capes:

A pretty purple one with a long, slightly ruffled neck cape, a beige one with a longish (7") neck cape (Adventure?) for kayaking, and an olive-y green one with (5") neck cape (Sport ?) that is great for hiking because you don't have a hat brim pushing against your backpack.

The capes are not removable.

Not cheap but I've had them for years.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/410XsTtB7vL._AA210_.jpg[/IMG]
$35.00 $28.88

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@sandykayak, will we be subjected to many more of these posts explaining the virtues of the items in your wardrobe and where the items might be purchased? I ask because it is not clear to me why the retailers of these products cannot undertake their own advertising and leave this wonderful resource free of posts like these that verge on such commercial promotion.

Ummmm. I thought that sharing of information was a good thing here. I know I appreciate information provided by others.

Obviously, I have no vested/financial interest in any of the retailers mentioned.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I thought that sharing of information was a good thing here.
Indeed it is, and sharing information about products that have worked for you on your camino is a great thing when it helps someone who is seeking advice.

This is a far cry from that circumstance. It is about a single product where that information is being pushed at us, and it begins to look a lot like commercial promotion of that product. It is my view is that retailers can use their own advertising budgets for that, and you don't have to assist them with that. Those of us that avoid advertising by contributing to the cost of the forum don't have to be subject to such advertising normally, except when it creeps in through posts like yours.

I thought that sharing of information was a good thing here.
Yes, of course it is. In this case, I think that you have just gone overboard with all of the individual endorsement threads! If 100 of us posted several new threads everyday on various random products, the forum would quickly degenerate into a shopping channel.

Absolutely not. No affiliate anything. Just trying to show pictures and save people time searching. I am not good at computers at all. I don't know how to insert links.

I might add that I have never before been publicly rebuked or made to feel unwelcome at any forum. A PM without sarcasm explaining that what I was doing is unacceptable would have been less hurtful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Last edited:
Sorry, mod. My reply to you has disappeared. Hopefully draft was saved somewhere.

I always donate to forums. I've just joined this one and intend to. Several months of sending boxes of food to relatives in Venezuela have put a serious dent in my finances.

To everybody: This was an innocent mistake. I'm still confused. Other people post links to Amazon and that seems to be OK. I don't know how to do that. But I assure you no commercial advertising per se was intended.

I'm retired and have no business or financial connections/income at all.

But I won't be talking about my gear any more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use a wide brimmed non-cotton vented hat with a neck cape. The cape tucks into the rear brim. When it is cold I put the neck cape into the top of the cap closing the ventilation. Price withheld (not much).... Ultreya.....Willy/Utah/USA

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I used an umbrella that attached to my pack. My head didn't get hot, and it also shaded my upper body most days.
Oh yeah, it also kept me dry on rainy days:)

Sorry, mod. My reply to you has disappeared. Hopefully draft was saved somewhere.

I always donate to forums. I've just joined this one and intend to. Several months of sending boxes of food to relatives in Venezuela have put a serious dent in my finances.

To everybody: This was an innocent mistake. I'm still confused. Other people post links to Amazon and that seems to be OK. I don't know how to do that. But I assure you no commercial advertising per se was intended.

I'm retired and have no business or financial connections/income at all.

But I won't be talking about my gear any more.
Thank you for contributing on the forum @sandykayak !

Posting links to your own commercial products is not permitted on the forum. Posting product links to other products on Amazon is allowed, but since you seemed to post several with such a short period, we decided to remove some of them.

If you have recommendations on gear for the Camino, what is you just list the names of the products (with no links)? This way, people can google it and find how to buy it in the country where this person lives. Amazon (USA) does not ship all over the world anyway, so if each forum member just google it, they will find how to get it where they live.

Thanks for contributing and happy planning! :)
Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

Iā€™m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use whatā€™s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.