• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Great resource for Gear

Lisa Cook

Time of past OR future Camino
(fall 2014)
I have learned a lot and gotten a lot of gear from Backpacking Light website.
Their forums are great and they have a very active gear swap/sale section where I have purchased most of my gear which is less than 10 pounds (unless I bring a tent.)

Some of the stuff doesn't apply, but I have been inpired to do all kinds of hiking since beginning my training.

Who knows, maybe next year, it will be the Appalachian trail

Lisa

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I have learned a lot and gotten a lot of gear from Backpacking Light website.
Their forums are great and they have a very active gear swap/sale section where I have purchased most of my gear which is less than 10 pounds (unless I bring a tent.)

Some of the stuff doesn't apply, but I have been inpired to do all kinds of hiking since beginning my training.

Lisa

Also recommend the Hammock Forum for info regarding anything related to backpacking, traveling, and camping;
https://hammock forums.net

Lisa

Lisa,

Be sure to read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson before you set off on the AT. His humorous 1998 account of his daunting attempt is available on Amazon. Much of what he writes would also describe the camino.

"At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, “Hey, I did sixteen miles today,” any more than you think, “Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.” It’s just what you do.”"

Enjoy your reading,

Margaret Meredith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear All,
Can I respectfully suggest my own modest description of the Camino. It's supposed to be at least a little humorous and whilst not in Mr. Bryson's league; it should make finding out about this fabulous experience goes with a smile. The link to the kindle is on my Member page and is called: "Santiago the Slow Way or The Ramblings of an Idiot".

Good luck and great walking, Andy Hill

A walk in the woods is a must read. BTW, Robert Redford is making it into a movie this year. He will costar with Nick Nolte.
I can see Nick Nolte as Katz, but Robert Redford seems a bit serious for someone playing Bryson.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.