• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hairdryer on the walk?

MoniqueW

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2018
hi there, new to the Forum, we are starting the walk in late March 2018, very excited about it! Have been looking around the forum, and only saw some old topics about hair dryers, so wondering what the thoughts are today. Not sure whether to take a travel one or not - not to style my hair, but to avoid having wet hair for too long? Appreciate any thoughts / guidance?

Monique

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My advice would be if you are taking a hair dryer to take one that you don’t mind leaving behind. However, you might find that it is your luxury item. We all have a luxury item or at least many of us do. In which case you will be happy to carry the weight.
Have a very buen camino.

If you choose to bring a hair dryer I would suggest that you find the smallest lightest one possible, wet hair is horrible. Hopefully someone on here has brought one (others have) and they can recommend one for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I sometimes carry a small hairdryer (my burden ;)), particularly if walking at cooler times of the year - like you I really dislike having wet hair. If you decide to do so then make sure it's small, light and cheap. (It can also come in useful for helping to dry other stuff - socks etc if necessary...). Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Never thought about this before (see avatar). There was a young Czech couple on my first Camino.
Her ID card showed long, curly brown hair in reality she'd gone for the "Gulag look" (her husband's expression) with a grade 2 buzz cut.
As she said, it'll grow back!
Not suggesting you go THAT far but perhaps a trim and one of the fluffier travel towels?
You can then feel a little smugger knowing you've reduced your carbon footprint AND the weight on your back.
Or fall back on the many, many hairdressers in Spain - just don't get pressured into the Abeula No1 cut (short, tapered into the nape) you'll have an instant urge to rush out and match it with a cardigan with padded shoulders!

Hi Monique, welcome to the forum. There's no reason why you can't take a hairdryer, as long as you're willing to carry it and keep it totally dry in wet weather (to ensure safe usage). For every pilgrim who questions your decision to take one, there'll probably be a couple more who ask to borrow it!

My hair looks pretty awful if I don't use a hairdryer. My normal solution to that problem is to wear a hat :);)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are you serious?!?!

On one hand, everyone walks their own camino and no one else has the right or standing to judge how you accomplish yours. But, having some degree of experience, I seriously recommend you leave the hair dryer at home to save weight.

Also, consider that the hair dryer must be 220 VAC, 50 Hertz. Hair dryers brought from North America will fry (unless they are dual voltage capable). Then, you have to keep it dry as you walk over hill and vale in the rain...

Most women (and guys with very long hair) simply wash, towel dry, comb their hair out and wear a BUFF, bandana, or other hat with their hair pulled back. I have heard it said, often, that everyday is a "bad hair day" on the Camino. Having out-of-control hair is simply part of the experience.

It also depends on how long you will be walking and have to tote the extra weight, as well as the accommodations you plan to stay in.

If staying in albergues, do not presume there will be an conveniently located outlet for you to use. Also, consider that you will be using a shared bathing spaces and others may not appreciate having to wait for you to finish your extended toilette.

If staying in a private accomodation (hostal, hotel, etc.) you can ask when you check in if they have a "secador de pelo" (hair dryer) [sec-ador-de-peyho] you can use. Do not be offended if they burst out laughing...

I hope this helps. I do intend it with all sincerity.

Last edited:
consider that the hair dryer must be 220 VAC, 50 Hertz. Hair dryers brought from North America will fry.
Only some will fry. Most hairdryers I see on the US shelves these days, especially the smaller ones marked for travel, have a small switch to shift from 60V/120AC to 50V/220AC. Then all you need is a plug adapter to fit the European wall sockets.

hi there, new to the Forum, we are starting the walk in late March 2018, very excited about it! Have been looking around the forum, and only saw some old topics about hair dryers, so wondering what the thoughts are today. Not sure whether to take a travel one or not - not to style my hair, but to avoid having wet hair for too long? Appreciate any thoughts / guidance?

Monique
My wife and I walked the Camino Frances in 2015. It took us 35 days. My wife took her travel hair drier (110V/240V) along and afterwards said she was glad she did. And I think so were numerous other ladies along the Camino who borrowed it from her. Every single albergue that we stayed in had suitable outlets, so she never had a problem there. My personal view is that the whole weight discussion/issue is way overblown. Take what you want and forget about the weight. You are not walking in the wilderness, loaded down with food and other survival gear. You walk for a number of hours per day and rest for the rest of the time or whenever you want to. So, the "extra" weight of a small hair drier is not going to make a difference.

Hmmm, I find I am agreeing with both views on the subject of hair dryers...how can that be? I personally did not bring one and it felt very freeing to let my hair be natural for those weeks, especially since wearing a hat most of the time anyway.

On the other hand, when I stayed in hotels a few times and used the hair dryers provided, I smiled because a more attractive gal was looking back at me in the mirror!:)

Last edited:
If you are staying in donativo albergues, please consider that blow dryers use an enormous amount of energy, and Spain has the highest-priced electricity in Europe. Someone´s going to pay the bill for your "luxury item."
As for "luxury items," the Camino de Santiago is a pilgrimage, an opportunity to shed all the extras, to experience the freedom of living without all the doodads we feel are so essential to our lives. Please, just try it for a little while. If you really must have a hair dryer, buy one in Spain.

I have never - yet - taken a hairdryer on the camino, yet every day I have wished I had one!

(Though not quite badly enough to buy one or bring one on my next camino - even though I have one here at home, used on other travels, which is tiny, folds in half, weighs very little, and has a euro-plug.)

Sometimes private albergues have them, but you usually have to ask. The municipal in Santo Domingo has one on the wall in the womens' bathroom for €1 in the slot. Others have them in the bathroom. It can be very exciting to see one!!!

I would suggest you start without one, and see how you go for the first 3-4 days until you reach Pamplona. Then, if you feel you really MUST have one, you can go to el Corte Ingles and buy a lightweight travel one with a euro-plug. They are cheap, only around €20 (I know, I have seriously almost bought one on more than one occasion!).

I have met more than a few women who have brought or bought hairdryers, and been happy with their choice - as have others, there will often be someone who wants to borrow it. And as a dual-purpose item, you can also use it to dry your socks, I am told!

Frankly, if you want a hairdryer, don't worry about what anyone else says, if it is something important to you, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks or says.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
please consider that blow dryers use an enormous amount of energy, and Spain has the highest-priced electricity in Europe. Someone´s going to pay the bill for your "luxury item."
And if one person has a hair dryer, everyone will want to use it to dry shoes, socks, and clothes. That's when the cost escalates.

And if one person has a hair dryer, everyone will want to use it to dry shoes, socks, and clothes. That's when the cost escalates.
This makes me really glad I've never brought a hair dryer on the Camino! I usually don't mind sharing things, but by the time a "multi purpose" hair dryer makes the rounds, you may never get it back. Well, I guess you would after all as no one else will want to carry it in their pack! :p

Monique

Leave it at home, if you don't you will ditch it rather quickly from your backpack anyway ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... Frankly, if you want a hairdryer, don't worry about what anyone else says, if it is something important to you, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks or says.

Apart of the costs of electricity of the albergues, especially if the hair dryer is used by many people. Buen Camino, SY

There are actually hairdryers in many albergues - left by pilgrims who didn't want to carry them...
Although I never saw one in several months as hospitalero, I can believe it—since I saw all sorts of other things. Air mattresses, sleep sacks, shoes, clothing, electronics, sleeping bags, notebooks, …

A favourite ' prank ' amongst the people I Bush Walk.
Somewhere in a remote wilderness, miles from civilisation and electric power and where there may be one or two other parties sharing a campsite, one of us will ask in a loud voice if anyone wants to borrow a hair drier . The looks of delight and expectation followed by the realisation that it is a joke are priceless . Mildly cruel I suppose but it does go to demonstrate just how much hair driers are missed by some .

You might try not using a hair dryer at home and see how the hair goes. I asked my hair stylist for help with my hair before I left, and got a cut that I could get to curl up using conditioner (instead of shampoo), some stuff to put in it and then scrunching it up. It was my "wild camino look'-- which, I confess, I now wear at home. It is simple and easy-- I also hate hair dryer noise. --

When my hair was really long (and I was a lot younger) I used to braid it after towel drying, and then go to sleep, and unbraid it damp in the morning.

I've got thick, curly hair and when I washed my hair, I just let it try naturally. Sometimes I left it loose, sometimes tied it back. It was fine. I didn't wash my hair everyday - usually every 3 or 4 days, so if it was especially rainy or cold, I didn't wash it. If it was warmer and sunny, or if I stayed in a hotel that night, then I made sure to wash my hair.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you want a hairdryer, I guess you should take one. I never thought of it during 4 different caminos. In fact, after walking enough days, you might find you don't wash your hair as often as at home. Certainly that was true for me. I agree with the advice of having one you don't mind losing, in case you don't want to continue to carry it.

Monique
wow, thanks so very much everyone for your thoughts - what a wonderful community! So looking forward to being on the walk and meeting some fellow pilgrims! Love and Gratitude x

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I walked the Camino Frances in 2015. It took us 35 days. My wife took her travel hair drier (110V/240V) along and afterwards said she was glad she did. And I think so were numerous other ladies along the Camino who borrowed it from her. Every single albergue that we stayed in had suitable outlets, so she never had a problem there. My personal view is that the whole weight discussion/issue is way overblown. Take what you want and forget about the weight. You are not walking in the wilderness, loaded down with food and other survival gear. You walk for a number of hours per day and rest for the rest of the time or whenever you want to. So, the "extra" weight of a small hair drier is not going to make a difference.
Not a wilderness walk! take those things you think you need! In Santiago people leave behind liquids that cant travel in the cabin, so for many years I have showered in a kingly manner for the last few days .
I throw away old items as I walk and buy bits and pieces from markets, keeps the weight down and feeds the local economy.
From Lisbon to Porto this year I carried a Golite 24 vo. (24 litre) so very light and any weight was about the waist with those large pockets. Most people would think of this size as a day pack!
The Mountain Warehouse 40 litre bag(cheap) was a better size and used in 2015 and 2016, but the 24 litre was a little tight this year!! so a hair dryer would dangle out side but each to their own!

I throw away old items as I walk and buy bits and pieces from markets, keeps the weight down and feeds the local economy.
I have to chuckle at all the websites and videos offering advice on how to "travel light"—what to pack and what to leave at home. I always feel like saying out loud, "People! ANY country that has an airport has a place you can buy toothpaste!" (And probably at a lower cost than at home.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ounces equal pounds..pounds equal pain.
Truth.
In late March the nights can cold, so I can understand not wanting wet hair.
But forget the haridrier. Treat yourself to a short stylish cut, and enjoy the taste of freeedoooommmm!:)
Besides - not only do you not have the weight of the drier, there's not the weight of the hair itself.
Somewhere in a remote wilderness, miles from civilisation and electric power and where there may be one or two other parties sharing a campsite, one of us will ask in a loud voice if anyone wants to borrow a hair drier . The looks of delight and expectation followed by the realisation that it is a joke are priceless .
Oh dear... :D:D:D

I met a guy who had a small hair dyer on the Camino Frances this past October. He was bald and had the dyer to dry clothes. This seemed like a great idea as that time of year nothing was drying overnight.
@Mark Barnes, I can't help but think a hair dryer would be very useful in drying out your fluffy beard on the Camino! :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
please consider that blow dryers use an enormous amount of energy

I can confirm that a hairdryer uses a lot of electricity. I used to organize beach hikes in Mozambique, and at one beach resort, which used a huge generator for power, if someone tried using their hair dryer, the lights would all go off!
Jill

Monique
Your hair will dry and a dryer is a luxury to be left behind. If you have very long hair consider cutting it shorter to dry quicker.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My hair is well past my shoulder blades. My Camino routine involves showering the moment I get to the albergue, washing it every 3-4 days, and it has always been dry before I crawled into my sleeping bag. (If it's cold inside the albergue, which is not unusual around Easter, I roll it up in my big, square scarf of thin wool and wear a stylish turban for the evening.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Monique

Why? I am not trying to be sarcastic but, once you begin your camino you will find that cosmetics are the least part of being on camino. Unless you have really long hair and are doing the camino in winter I can see no reason for taking along something that takes up valuable space in your backpack and which will not add to the camino experience. IMHO, the camino forces you to be who you are and carrying items from the 'world' that may be important for appearance there are not necessary while on camino and can be a hindrance to being you.

When you are on camino appearance means nothing, no one looks for beauty, only for honesty. Leave it.

When you are on camino appearance means nothing, no one looks for beauty, only for honesty. Leave it.
Well, I look for beauty everywhere, but it's true that honesty is more important—everywhere, not just on the Camino. And, Monique, I am 63 years old and I don't remember ever meeting a woman who needs make-up.

Monique

I believe I posted a picture of this at some point.... when I was walking on the Frances in the spring, I heard a hair dryer and looked down from the top bunk to see the bald man on the bunk below me, using a hair dryer to carefully dry every page in his guidebook. Which didn't appear to be wet. He was French (so, like many, didn't speak English OR Spanish), so I couldn't ask.

wow, thanks so very much everyone for your thoughts - what a wonderful community! So looking forward to being on the walk and meeting some fellow pilgrims! Love and Gratitude x

I brought two luxury items in my 8 kilo backpack: a Braun dual voltage travel hair dryer and an electric toothbrush. I would take them again. The hairdryer was also used to spot dry the wet, rinsed out sheet after an ‘body accident’. We stayed in a hostel because my husband had bowel trouble, the hairdryer came in handy.
Wishing you a pleasant Camino.

I brought two luxury items in my 8 kilo backpack: a Braun dual voltage travel hair dryer and an electric toothbrush. I would take them again. The hairdryer was also used to spot dry the wet, rinsed out sheet after an ‘body accident’. We stayed in a hostel because my husband had bowel trouble, the hairdryer came in handy.
Wishing you a pleasant Camino.
:eek:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Monique

This is a hotly debated topic on the women’s Camino forums.....I have shorter thin hair that looks horrible when wet, dries naturally all kinky and I feel like crap if I don’t use a blow dryer. I listened to others say that the Camino is to let go of all that kind of superficial stufff so I cut my hair even shorter and went without a blow dryer.....I walked in March so it was colder, my hair felt horrible. Some private albergues had blow dryers if you asked which I discovered very far along the CF but earlier on I met 2 pilgrims with blow dyers and BOTH were young guys......lol.....when a guy brings a travel dryer it’s for his wet clothes vs when a women does likewise its out of vanity LOL. I followed those 2 guys as much as possible ha ha (both used it to dry their longer hair not wet socks). Finally in CEE I said to heck w it, I would buy a dryer w a budget of 20€. No sooner had I said that we turned a corner and there was the store EURONICS.....walked in and immediately saw a small red travel Bosch dryer for €19.99.....light and strong.....at the municipal in Finisterre a young Italian girl,saw my dryer and in tears asked me if she could borrow it......morale of the story is......if you feel better doing your hair after the end of day shower then take a dryer, I guarantee you’ll bring joy to a fellow pilgrim....it will be my luxury item on the camino del Norte in March 2018. .

Last edited:
If you are staying in donativo albergues, please consider that blow dryers use an enormous amount of energy, and Spain has the highest-priced electricity in Europe. Someone´s going to pay the bill for your "luxury item."
As for "luxury items," the Camino de Santiago is a pilgrimage, an opportunity to shed all the extras, to experience the freedom of living without all the doodads we feel are so essential to our lives. Please, just try it for a little while. If you really must have a hair dryer, buy one in Spain.

One can donate a bit more if using a hair dryer in a donativo.....what about guys carrying electric shavers, all the electronics......I had just a phone to charge.

If your issue is getting your hair wet while walking, take a lite waterproof rain jacket with a hood. I use a baseball cap underneath it to prevent dripping water on my face, and when it's windy, cold, or snowing I use builders construction protection plastic glasses to protect my eyes from getting wet. My hair is dry when I arrive at the next destination.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One can donate a bit more if using a hair dryer in a donativo.....what about guys carrying electric shavers, all the electronics......I had just a phone to charge.
Walking a Camino gives male pilgrims the opportunity to see what they'd look like growing a beard.
Shavers, electric and otherwise, would then be redundant. And think of the burden lessened.

I walked with a friend from Porto to Santiago last year. She has short but very thin hair amd feels very uncomfortable with her natural look. She did not carry a blow dryer, but every where we stayed, mostly small hotels but some auberges and even Fernandas was able to borrow a hairdryer from the hosts. She always asked, and one was produced.

Hi Monique, I am an expert on hair dryers on the Camino. There are some very small hair dryers that you can carry I even bought one and use it everyday at home. However after I packed my pack I realize I would be a lot more comfortable without the extra 8 oz. All you need to do is be creative.
number one you do not wash your hair everyday on the Camino. I have fine short hair and I found leaving my hair a little dirty for a few days made it look better and was better for my hair. And then many albergues and all hotels have a hair dryer. When I arrived at Albergue I would ask if they had a hair dryer sometimes just by pointing at my head and buzzing. And you would be surprised how many have them. One of the best lessons of the Camino is learning exactly what you need and how to be creative about finding lightweight alternatives. I'm a bit of a planner so I plan a hotel every few days and that's where I do that hair drying leg shaving cetera. By the way nobody will laugh when you ask for a hair dryer. In fact they smile approval when I returned it and I fluff my shiny hair and say I feel beautiful. So it's your Camino bring a hairdryer if you want but know you will be able to find them many places and don't forget your baseball cap. Which you should be wearing anyway because of the Sun. I start my 6th Camino May 8.
Monique

Monique

Hi, I will go CF from Pamplona fm the last week of March for 25-28 days. Thank MoniqueW to bring the issue of hairdryer here.

I think to bring a hairdryer or not, depends on what cold or hot month we go. Thanks for many suggestions here. For me, I will bring a 35l bag without a hairdryer and memorize ‘secador de pelo’ (thank t2andreo).

gronze.com provides very good info abt what services n equipment each albergue or hostel provides (such as kitchen, bar, blankets, towels, washer n dryer....BUT no mention of dryers). Hope gronze will add ‘hairdryer’ into the equipment list in future.

Thank you.
Mai

Hi, I will go CF from Pamplona fm the last week of March for 25-28 days. Thank MoniqueW to bring the issue of hairdryer here.

I think to bring a hairdryer or not, depends on what cold or hot month we go. Thanks for many suggestions here. For me, I will bring a 35l bag without a hairdryer and memorize ‘secador de pelo’ (thank t2andreo).

gronze.com provides very good info abt what services n equipment each albergue or hostel provides (such as kitchen, bar, blankets, towels, washer n dryer....BUT no mention of dryers). Hope gronze will add ‘hairdryer’ into the equipment list in future.

Thank you.
Mai

With all due respect but I really hope Gronze will not add " hairdryer " to the list. There is Tripadvisor for those who really think they cannot function without that information.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lol said like a true man LOL :)
Everyone showers when they finish the day. Most wash clothes by hand soon after. I don't know what people who stayed late into the mornings did with that time but everyone I walked with was out and walking by 7:00. There's no time for morning showers when you leave between 6-7:am. Fwiw - none of the women I walked with had hairdryers in their backpacks or showered in the morning. Maybe that's more of an age thing than a gender thing.

I usually let my hair air dry and would suggest trying that. I also had a friend who needed to blow dry her hair on the camino and just didn't wash her hair unless the albergue had a hair dryer so you can manage without bringing your own. However if you feel the need to bring one with you and are from a country with different electrical plugs, I'd suggest buying a small travel hair dryer in the airport once you reach Spain since I blew out my favorite hair straightener during another European adventure even though I had the plug adapter. I hope you have a wonderful time!!! Buen Camino!

However if you feel the need to bring one with you and are from a country with different electrical plugs, I'd suggest buying a small travel hair dryer in the airport once you reach Spain since I blew out my favorite hair straightener during another European adventure even though I had the plug adapter.
Don't bring a North American hair dryer unless you want to buy and carry a heavy transformer. You see, in the Americas, we use 60Hz, 120 V. Europe uses 50Hz, 240 V. Electronics power supplies are designed to work on either, so they only need something to handle the difference in plug shape. Things that make light, heat, or motion need a voltage transformer, and the more power they need, the heavier the transformer. So if you need a hair dryer, buy it when you arrive.

Let the Camino provide. The last thing you want to find yourself doing is sitting on a bed in an albergue somewhere with all your belongings set out so you can decide what to leave behind because you cannot continue walking with all that weight. It is a quick realization that the heaviest of items are the ones that we put the most importance in and in sometimes cases, we may use the least.

This is why it is imperative that the full pack is worn on a few all day hikes around town or on a nearby trail. It helps get the kinks out, adjust the pack, and what is in it, before the Camino.

Let the Camino provide. The last thing you want to find yourself doing is sitting on a bed in an albergue somewhere with all your belongings set out so you can decide what to leave behind because you cannot continue walking with all that weight. It is a quick realization that the heaviest of items are the ones that we put the most importance in and in sometimes cases, we may use the least.

This is why it is imperative that the full pack is worn on a few all day hikes around town or on a nearby trail. It helps get the kinks out, adjust the pack, and what is in it, before the Camino.
I sat on my bed one night trying to sort out what weight I could lose and was trying to decide between a holy card and a brochure I wanted as a souvenir. Kept the holy card. No way would I carry a hairdryer.

Monique
I take the hair dryer it’s a dual purpose item drying hair and blisters but please leave the blender at home :)

Zzotte

Everyone showers when they finish the day. Most wash clothes by hand soon after. I don't know what people who stayed late into the mornings did with that time but everyone I walked with was out and walking by 7:00. There's no time for morning showers when you leave between 6-7:am. Fwiw - none of the women I walked with had hairdryers in their backpacks or showered in the morning. Maybe that's more of an age thing than a gender thing.

I too showered in the evening or upon arrival on my CF in March this year. I sincerely apologize Pastor if you feel my “ribbing” was gender-shaming, not my intention at all. I’ll turn 60 soon so it’s not an “age” issue. I support all fellow pilgrims on their journeys, my Way is not everyone’s Way. I carry a total of 5 kg in my pack so can afford to carry a tiny dryer on El Norte in 2018. Buen Camino to all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Truly shocked at some of the posters who tell others to "just cut your hair". How rude!

To the OP, it is YOUR Camino, so don't let the judgemental posters get you down. Take what you want to take.

We walked in November and it was getting cold in the evenings... there were a few nights when I skipped hair washing as my hair just didn't dry by bedtime and it really did keep me cold. One night a Spanish chap came over and introduced himself and told us he had a hairdryer if we wanted to use it... he had longer hair than me! In the morning he offered it around again to dry any damp socks... he was very very popular :D

Monique
We walked the Frances in September/October. I carried a small (folding) dual voltage hairdryer - it weighed about 6 oz. - and it got a LOT of use, not just so I wouldn’t have to sleep with wet hair, but to dry socks, underwear and t-shirts on those days when the sun wasn’t hot enough to dry them, or we arrived too late at the albergue and there was nowhere left to hang wet clothes. It was well worth the extra few ounces.

Truly shocked at some of the posters who tell others to "just cut your hair". How rude!
@Jodean, I doubt anyone was intending to be rude. I for one was simply sharing my own experience of how freeing it is to no longer have to deal with long hair, and encouraging an exploration of that. Whether people bring hairdriers (or not), or cut their hair (or not) is less important in the long run than what's going on in the heart.

One of the best things about the Camino is that it's an opportunity to play with things like this - and with hair it's not a high-risk exploration, because fortunately it does grow back, astonishingly quickly.

On a bit of a tangent...men often get a really short cut (or even shave their heads) before a camino, and no-one even thinks twice. But when women do this, it's considered...hmmm, what to say?...'unusual.'

I don’t have a firm opnion either way. I walked without a hairdryer but I have thin hair. I am however, a great believer in leaving the camino to teach it’s own lessons about anything that is not life-threatening. We all have different priorities and needs but the greatest lesson the camino taught me was that what I thought was important before leaving home completely changed once I was actually walking. ;););) Buen camino, everyone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Monique
Hi Monique
I'm not sure how or why this happened but my wife took 2 hairdriers on our recent 180km walk from Le Puy! It was a magical trip, even with the little extra weight that I often carried.

Hi Monique
I'm not sure how or why this happened but my wife took 2 hairdriers on our recent 180km walk from Le Puy! It was a magical trip, even with the little extra weight that I often carried.
Your wife is probably very attached to her her hairdryer, so if it broke on your walk she'd have the quickest replacement ever!

Monique
Did the Camino in autumn , most girls had a small portable hair dryer , else it would take a long time to dry and they would have got head cold ,I'm not sure about summer time
some guys laughed but were given the finger , there was a bit of scramble for conditioner
Taking two is marginal insane , spain is not a third world country , pilgrim refit in the local shops

I found that by day 3 of my past 2 Caminos I knew exactly what I didn't need and simply used the Correos (post office) to forward them to Santiago. Their prices are reasonable and they have boxes for you to put your excess baggage into.
I sent forward items including: bathing suit, big scallop shell I bought day 1 in SJPD, ipad, etc... I sent them from Pamplona and they were waiting for me at the SDC Correos which is 100m down the street from the cathedral. My only advice is watch for public holidays and other special dates which might impact the Correos being open in SDC.

So in conclusion, bring whatever you like and either leave them at an albergue or send it forward. You'll know by day 3 if your bag is too heavy.

last week of March for 25-28 days
depends on what cold or hot month we go.

The weather in March/April will be mild , could be cold and hopefully before the spring rain
It will not be hot.
The hairdryer situation in the alberques is not good unless you get the more upmarket private ones which do not cost much more.
And please Mai do not start the dryer early as the bathrooms are beside beds in many cases.

The weather in March/April will be mild , could be cold and hopefully before the spring rain
It will not be hot.
The hairdryer situation in the alberques is not good unless you get the more upmarket private ones which do not cost much more.
And please Mai do not start the dryer early as the bathrooms are beside beds in many cases.

Thank you very much for your kind input. As the weather will be mild, it’s not necessary to wash hair every day. I will not bring a hair dryer with me. Will wait n see, if necessary, I will buy one at the local town.

Best Regards

I'm only walking my first Camino this year, but I think I have something to say here as I'm a very frequent traveller in possession of very, very unruly hair (and, sadly or not, not in possession of enough money to always fly Star Alliance airlines and stay in classy hotels with hairdryers in the bathrooms!).

I usually fly with low-cost airlines or buy the cheapest tickets with only hand luggage included, and I often travel for several weeks at a time, so I don't carry a hairdryer to save place in my rucksack. I wash my hair in the evening and let it dry while I'm reading before sleep or even sleeping. Short haircut is the solution to virtually all problems: less time to wash, less shampoo to use (a small dm bottle can last me for a couple of weeks), less water to spend, less time to dry. And much less hassle with combing your hair and preventing the wind from tangling them!

My profile picture was taken after quite a long period when I travelled rather rarely, and so could grow my hair long. Last autumn, before another trip, I cut it back - not without some regrets, as I really like my hair long, but short hair is so considerably easier to live with on the move.

Also, I occasionally do some hiking and camping, and I noticed that out of big cities, my hair requires washing about twice less often than in the city.

Hmmm, I find I am agreeing with both views on the subject of hair dryers...how can that be? I personally did not bring one and it felt very freeing to let my hair be natural for those weeks, especially since wearing a hat most of the time anyway.

On the other hand, when I stayed in hotels a few times and used the hair dryers provided, I smiled because a more attractive gal was looking back at me in the mirror!:)

But this is not about looking good! For me my hair never dries if its cold like it probably is in middle march, and thats the only reason why I also is thinking about bringing the hair dryer with me, 300 grams is it´s weight, I also always wear something like a hat on my head so for me it´s definitly not to look good, its for the hair to dry so I won´t be freezing!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But this is not about looking good! For me my hair never dries if its cold like it probably is in middle march, and thats the only reason why I also is thinking about bringing the hair dryer with me, 300 grams is it´s weight, I also always wear something like a hat on my head so for me it´s definitly not to look good, its for the hair to dry so I won´t be freezing!!
Well no hassles, bring it then! :)

Well no hassles, bring it then! :)

Yes I will, I didn´t took it with me when I walked in oktober 2017, no need for it then but now I really think I will have use for it, otherwise I left it behind like I did with things last time :)

Yes, you are walking earlier in the year than I do. I can see why you are more concerned about having wet hair.

I don’t quite understand this. Do you shower and wash hair in the morning before walking? That would be unusual. If it’s after you arrive, why would you be freezing? If it’s not hot and sweaty, you’re not washing your hair all the time anyway? Of course, you should do what you want. I’ve never considered carrying a dryer on any trip.

I don’t quite understand this. Do you shower and wash hair in the morning before walking? That would be unusual. If it’s after you arrive, why would you be freezing? If it’s not hot and sweaty, you’re not washing your hair all the time anyway? Of course, you should do what you want. I’ve never considered carrying a dryer on any trip.

Hahaha, well, no I don´t wash my hair in the morning, I used to be sweaty even if its cold outside...If I wash my hair here at home and don´t dry it with a hair dryer and then it´s not dry next morning....but anyway can´t help my self laughing it seems so silly to even bother to explain....I have now taken the decision not to bring it....wow it will be to much to carry on, I believe, so dirty hair or wet hair, that´s the question :-D
buen Camino, and thanks for your thoughts ;-)

Hahaha, well, no I don´t wash my hair in the morning, I used to be sweaty even if its cold outside...If I wash my hair here at home and don´t dry it with a hair dryer and then it´s not dry next morning....but anyway can´t help my self laughing it seems so silly to even bother to explain....I have now taken the decision not to bring it....wow it will be to much to carry on, I believe, so dirty hair or wet hair, that´s the question :-D
buen Camino, and thanks for your thoughts ;-)
Completely understand as I have the same problem. I have that crazy in between hair, on a daily basis its not quite sure if it’s curly or straight but at it’s roots its stubbornly grey over this young face. Although 50 she is long in length and takes a long time to dry. I dont feel the need to cut it so I will do the best I can. No need for dirty hair. I think brading , good buff and using a detangler product with a leave in conditioner will help.....errr i hope .

If that doesnt work at some point she will be relaxed in a chair getting groom and pampered. .

Completely understand as I have the same problem. I have that crazy in between hair, on a daily basis its not quite sure if it’s curly or straight but at it’s roots its stubbornly grey over this young face. Although 50 she is long in length and takes a long time to dry. I dont feel the need to cut it so I will do the best I can. No need for dirty hair. I think brading , good buff and using a detangler product with a leave in conditioner will help.....errr i hope .

If that doesnt work at some point she will be relaxed in a chair getting groom and pampered. .

:D relaxing in a chair getting groomed sunds just awsome :D Well we just have to deal with it ;) I´m not keen on cutting my hair either :D buen Camino!!

Toss the dryer, remember the conditioner....all will be good.

I’m in Day 7 of El Norte and my 195gm tiny Bosch dryer is very popular not to mention useful to dry damp clothes as albergues are few at this time of year and not heated well. It’s not about looking good it’s about dry clothes and not catching a cold !

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Cheers, I'm on the last week before my first Camino (frances) and anxiety is rising... I will start from SJPP on apr/30, and understood that maybe on the first section of the Camino, I might...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.