• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone ever dealt with shoulder rash?

benkika

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte
We’re on day 3 and quite worried about the extent of our shoulder rash. I have since distributed much more weight to my waist and don’t feel any shoulder pain. I’m wondering if this is something anyone has had to deal with, and if there are any remedies or tips for healing this rash and stopping it from getting worse. My friend has larger traps and his backpack doesn’t fit so well, he’s struggling even more

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We’re on day 3 and quite worried about the extent of our shoulder rash. I have since distributed much more weight to my waist and don’t feel any shoulder pain. I’m wondering if this is something anyone has had to deal with, and if there are any remedies or tips for healing this rash and stopping it from getting worse. My friend has larger traps and his backpack doesn’t fit so well, he’s struggling even more
Is it a rash or chafing? If it is chafing there are ways to adjust most packs so they do not rub. If it's a rash then you should seek medical attention because you would not want to exacerbate the issue with having straps rub on the area. What kind of packs do you have? I would suggest finding someone with a similar pack and ask them for help adjusting it properly or try to see if there is a youtube video on your specific packs. If it is simply that the packs do not fit your bodies properly you should absolutely stop and get different packs because the problem will just get exponentially worse. I hope you can find a solution

Bom caminho

Yes, a rash might be an irritant like a new soap or even a heat rash, but specifically where your straps are sounds like rubbing or chafing. Check with the hospitalera or at the pharmacy. Might be solved wearing an undershirt or applying a barrier to the shoulders or pack adjustment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is it a rash or chafing? If it is chafing there are ways to adjust most packs so they do not rub. If it's a rash then you should seek medical attention because you would not want to exacerbate the issue with having straps rub on the area. What kind of packs do you have? I would suggest finding someone with a similar pack and ask them for help adjusting it properly or try to see if there is a youtube video on your specific packs. If it is simply that the packs do not fit your bodies properly you should absolutely stop and get different packs because the problem will just get exponentially worse. I hope you can find a solution

Bom caminho
We both have Alpkit 55l backpacks with adjustable racks. We’ve spent a lot of time adjusting trying to get right distribution. We made a very rookie error of not fastening waist straps properly for first 2 days so that excessive weight was on our shoulders, and we’re pretty sure this is the cause. It feels a lot better on our waist now, we don’t want to stop but equally we don’t want the rash to get worse

This might not help you since you’re already on your camino. But I thought I’d post for those considering walking in the future. I am thin with almost no padding on my shoulders and especially my collarbone. I had great difficulty with my skin breaking down even on day hikes. I couple years ago I came up with the idea of using seat belt shoulder strap covers found in most auto supply stores. They required modification. I had to trim them to fit my straps and then restitch the edges. With my pack full, they stay thick and cushiony for several weeks. They weigh almost nothing so I was able to bring a second pair. And they’re machine-washable!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We both have Alpkit 55l backpacks with adjustable racks. We’ve spent a lot of time adjusting trying to get right distribution. We made a very rookie error of not fastening waist straps properly for first 2 days so that excessive weight was on our shoulders, and we’re pretty sure this is the cause. It feels a lot better on our waist now, we don’t want to stop but equally we don’t want the rash to get worse
You could transfer your packs forward for a few days to allow the area to heal. They have great topical creams at the pharmacy. That way you dont have to stop and you can heal

Others have suggested great options for pack adjustments, but in terms of first aid: I get heat rash and chafing from my pack when it's super hot, no matter how it's adjusted. I find a tea tree oil cream is the absolute best for drying it up and clearing it out ASAP. Not sure what to recommend as you are already in Spain, but if you can find an antibacterial/antifungal cream that has tea tree, it will probably do the trick.

You could transfer your packs forward for a few days to allow the area to heal. They have great topical creams at the pharmacy. That way you dont have to stop and you can heal
Of Course! The OP should let the body heal. Pack transfer is cheap, and in this case, very effective.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry to hear about your discomfort. I had a similar situation when I was breaking in a new pack during a multiday hike a few years ago. I happened to have an anti-chafing stick in my kit that I bought to help with blister prevention and tried rubbing some on my shoulder and collarbone area to see if it helped - and it did. A bit of petroleum jelly might accomplish the same. Best of luck and Buen Camino!

Add extra padding to the shoulder straps. I have taped on a layer of sleeping mats under the straps. On the shoulders itself I use a neopren kneepad, stays in place under your shirt. And tighten the waist belt well. As long as a 55 liter is, you should normally not need have much load on the shoulders

I had problems on my first Camino, and ended up buying cheap socks from a China shop, and using them for padding. Not an attractive look but it worked. I then bought a new pack for my next trip and it is fine with a much more padded strap.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Though you have adjusted packs, and been given very good advice on transporting packs for a few days, I just want to come back to the potential issue of a soap-induced rash.

One can test this idea...

Take a complete set of clothes and wash without soap.

Repeat with your "spares"... try to get three days of "no-soap" washing in.

If the rash diminishes then this is likely the source of the problem.

The root of the problem can be: a) use of a soap that does not agree with you or b) insufficient rinsing after washing with soap. (I have experienced both.)

Heat rash is also a potential problem but I have no idea of your ambient conditions for walking so cannot opine.

I hope that this resolves shortly...and Buen Camino!

B

I have had a few different rashes on my Caminos. I recommend that you stop at a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for some help. Sometimes I have had to stop twice before I got the right treatment, but I have been so impressed with the pharmacists' willingness to diagnose and treat things such as rashes. Twice I had something they described as a sun "allergy" -- not sure exactly what that is, but the cream they gave me worked. (That rash showed up only on the parts of my skin exposed to sun.) Another time I had an infection that needed to be treated with an antibiotic. I have relied on pharmacists in Spain at least five times. Note that, on occasion (once for me), the pharmacist recommends going to a doctor or ER. My advice is to follow that advice, too.

If you don't speak Spanish, you might look for a pharmacist who speaks English, or ask another pilgrim who speaks English and Spanish to go with you. But even if you just walk in and point to the rash, you are likely to be directed toward the right treatment. At least that has been my experience.

Best of luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have had a few different rashes on my Caminos. I recommend that you stop at a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for some help. Sometimes I have had to stop twice before I got the right treatment, but I have been so impressed with the pharmacists' willingness to diagnose and treat things such as rashes. Twice I had something they described as a sun "allergy" -- not sure exactly what that is, but the cream they gave me worked. (That rash showed up only on the parts of my skin exposed to sun.) Another time I had an infection that needed to be treated with an antibiotic. I have relied on pharmacists in Spain at least five times. Note that, on occasion (once for me), the pharmacist recommends going to a doctor or ER. My advice is to follow that advice, too.

If you don't speak Spanish, you might look for a pharmacist who speaks English, or ask another pilgrim who speaks English and Spanish to go with you. But even if you just walk in and point to the rash, you are likely to be directed toward the right treatment. At least that has been my experience.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the help. We went to the pharmacist and she gave us some anti-bacterial diprogenta. the night after applying it all our pustules went away which is what was worrying us. I think a combination of the heat and rubbing with the heavy weight caused the rash on our shoulders, which then got infected causing the postules. Hopefully it will go away now and not reoccur, either way we keep going! Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.