• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello, I plan on doing the Camino for a Second Time! :)

Hello, everyone. I live in Chicago, Illinois and I did the pilgrimage ten years ago. I cannot believe that it has been ten years. Time has flown by so fast!

Anyway, I had a wonderful experience when I walked the pilgrimage for the first time and hope to recapture that experience again. I really need a vacation.

I plan to give myself five weeks and walk all the way to Finnesterre. I did the pilgrimage in the past from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago Compostela in 27.5 days. I wish I has walked all the way to Finnesterre.

I plan to go in Sept/Oct of this year.

Thanks for reading!

Adrien

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great that you are giving yourself more time this round. I plan also to do finisterre. I am planning 38 days. I will be a little ahead of you starting last week august. Buen camino

Wonderful. You might be amazed at some of the changes.

I strongly recommend that you take an extra day to walk from Finisterre to Muxia.

Muxia has a large, modern albergue.

You can catch a bus back from the town to SDC or, if you have enough time, you could complete the loop by walking back to SDC.

Muxia to Hospital (where the Finisterre/Muxia route splits) to Olveiroa is a day, so it takes three to four days to return. There is a new albergue at Dumbria so if you are not in a hurry you can break the Muxia - Olveiroa journey there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
and hope to recapture that experience again
I think you may set yourself up for disappointment if you expect to repeat the first one. Hope to have a different, and fantastic, camino. You will be amazed at the increase in the size of the crowds in the last ten years, and that alone will create friction where you did not find friction before. You probably did not want to repeat days on your first walk, so keep that attitude and let the second one be itself.

Hi, Adrien,

I walked my first camino in 2000 and have been going back for more every year since, and as others have said, you will see enormous changes. I remember when I walked the Camino Frances the second time, I made a point of staying in different towns and albergues, which helped me to resist the temptation to compare. I found that if I just stopped my comparisons and tried to dismantle my expectations I could more easily enjoy the camino for what it is. Now that I've walked so much, it's become much easier to focus on all the other stuff and forget about what my last camino was like. An important camino lesson for me.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I see you are a fellow midwesterner. Another forum member, Joe, is also from Chicago. It'd be fun to get some kind of Chicago-based group going, maybe there will be enough of us to do that in the future.

peregrina2000 said:
I remember when I walked the Camino Frances the second time, I made a point of staying in different towns and albergues, which helped me to resist the temptation to compare. I found that if I just stopped my comparisons and tried to dismantle my expectations I could more easily enjoy the camino for what it is. Now that I've walked so much, it's become much easier to focus on all the other stuff and forget about what my last camino was like. An important camino lesson for me.

Like you, Laurie, I usually like to try new places. Your walking so much and your insights about it reminds me of a Spanish pilgrim we met once who said that he was walking the Camino for the 19th time and now felt relaxed about it :)

claire

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Adrien;

I am the Joe from Chicago that Laurie mentioned. Just walked the Camino Frances this Spring. Absolutely loved the hike. Looking forward to the Spring and walking again. This time I plan to start on the Camino Vasco and intersect the Camino Frances at Santa Domingo de Calzada. This gives me a different starting point (Irun) and allows me to see another section of Northern Spain. My understanding is this route (Vasco) is far less traveled. When I reconnect with the Frances route, I plan on stopping in some of the towns I missed the first time.

I live in the south loop area (Central station). If I can be of assistance, please feel free to PM me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back