• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help a sister out - I have no thigh gap

Hal

Time of past OR future Camino
si
I don't have an issue with chafing thighs over the course of an ordinary work day, but over the course of a sweaty day the potential for discomfort/sorenesss/boils increases exponentially. People who are similarly blessed - what are your tips? Compression shorts? Short hose? Powder?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a man my chafing problems in that department are probably a little different but not too much. Used to be a major problem for me - far more than blisters ever have been. I found that wearing very thin lycra cycling shorts as underwear solved the problem. Not the type with the built-in pad like a child's nappy! It meant that there was no direct rubbing of sweaty skin against skin. Not a lot of friction with lycra. Ending a few inches further down the thigh than conventional underpants also means the leg hems are not constantly being pulled up into the groin and sawing away at the skin either :eek:

PS: I was discussing this problem with a friend a few years ago. She diagnosed the trouble as "having teddy bear legs" :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
boy cut underwear
Yep. For boys, we call them boxer-briefs. I'd recommend quality merino (such as Icebreaker, SmartWool, or Ibex), although you can find quality synthetics/tech fabrics like ExOfficio.

Anti chaffing stick/lube tube I use them for ocean swimming. You can also get a bit of chaffing if you have teddybear arms/batwings so I wallop it on there to-in fact anywhere a bit of friction may built up. I'm a traditionalist in terms of underpinnings so lycra and boy shorts are, for me, a step to far;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like the Ex officio mens boxer briefs under my Macabi skirt to prevent chaffing. This is something you should try to resolve before leaving. I had this problem on my camino and had a very difficult time finding something that fit that was suitable.
Also used some anti-chaffing sports cream that came in a tube from Amazon. I recommend this for thighs and feet.

Icebreaker shorts--women's--in light merino wool. They are wearable under pants, skirts, long pants. Or, if you dare, alone!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My son - who is in good shape and slender - had a very serious issue with this. He had anti-chafing lube, tech boxers and plenty of thigh gap. I had no gap and panties. But I don't have any pink bits that dangle. He does.
The giant sores that developed between the dangling pink bits and his inner thigh made walking unbearably painful. The lube made things worse, I think. I went to a pharmacist and she told me to get him some diaper rash ointment. That did the trick but he and his pants and underwear were covered in that thick white ointment. We threw those boxers out and bought briefs, too.

The giant sores that developed between the dangling pink bits and his inner thigh made walking unbearably painful.

Nasty - been there, done that, wincing just reading about it. As I wrote above I found lycra cycling shorts stopped chafed thighs. Last year in very hot weather I wore very baggy sports shorts with sewn-in mesh support for my dangling bits. Kept them fairly static, prevented much contact with my thighs, and being very wide and loose-fitting there was a lot of very welcome ventilation. Will do the same in future if I walk in hot weather.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have this problem. But it is very easy for me to solve it now. I usually wear what in Spain is called "mallas", ( something like ciclyng short pants) and use a little bit of BIOPEL ( a baby diaper cream)
directly in my inner thigths, crotch etc. Only a little bit, maibe the shape of a small pea. It is been working well the late twenty five years.

tg_3acb7a077e414e3da07c6e6490ee2eda.jpg

Last edited:
Be there done that too :( for me what works the best is either one of this products sportslick or labocane works as prevention or for repair after the damage is done :(

zzotte

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't have an issue with chafing thighs over the course of an ordinary work day, but over the course of a sweaty day the potential for discomfort/sorenesss/boils increases exponentially. People who are similarly blessed - what are your tips? Compression shorts? Short hose? Powder?
I wear under armor that comes to just above my knees. Also I carry “glide”. Marathon runners use it and it works. It will prevent chafing. Comes in a small tube and easy to apply. What part of Texas are you in? I’m in the Houston area. Well, right now I’m in Madrid and I’m planning to walk in March or April.

So brave of you to bring up this subject. I have no thigh gap either, never have, even in my youthful lean days. As a petite woman with thick thighs and muscular calves, I can empathize with you. IMO, it's like shoes and socks, you want the friction to be between the fabric, not the fabric and your skin. Find something, whether bike shorts, tights or leggings, that fit tight but are comfortable. And try them out ahead of time until you find what's right for your style and comfort zone. Pack some of the ointments mentioned, just in case. I don't have Camino experience but I have thunder thigh and walking experience. And please, tell us what works for you when you figure it out!
Btw, ointments will have a petroleum base (like Vaseline) and be slippery where as a cream will not be slippery (and usually washes off easier) although either form may have healing properties for rashes and irritations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Compression tights worked for me. No more chafing! I wear full length tights as they also reduce leg fatigue in my case.

I have full length Skins leggings. It might be fun to buy a Purple Rain skirt to wear over the top of it... or not. I don't care about my butt being out there. #functionoverform

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will also try out some of the . I have chronic eczema and dermatitis so I am sure there will be trial and error. I actually do much better with petroleum-jelly and and silicon-based products; the "all-natural, plant-based" stuff is more likely to cause me grief.

So the suggested brands are:

Vaseline
Toms
Biopel
Labocane

Any other faves?

I also have some left-over Elizabeth Arden 8-hour cream (tarted up petroleum jelly and very good, too) from duty-free, Weleda Nappy Change Cream and some zinc based Sudocrem which was liberated during a recent hospital visit. I'll try them out first.

@Hal have you tried Neat 3B Action Cream? I take it with me because it doubles as deodorant, as well as an anti-chafing cream.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Hal have you tried Neat 3B Action Cream? I take it with me because it doubles as deodorant, as well as an anti-chafing cream.

I'll look out for that, as I presume it can be purchased here is Aus?

Yes, just about every chemist has it. Also good for feet! Its the active ingredient in anti-perspirant.

I have used bodyglide and compression shorts but by far the most comfortable and hassle-free were the Under armour 6 inch inseam boxerjock i walked in lasy year. So much lighter than compression shorts and the 6 inch inseam means no need for extra creams etc. Not sure if there is a female specific style but these are so great!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm wearing men's exofficio boxer briefs, 6". They are lightweight, comfortable, and dry quickly. The extra space for men's stuff is good for women also -- keeps the area dry and comfortable.

I just ordered the women ex0fficio boy shorts and am very disappointed. They just roll up my leg so they won't help this problem. Expensive and worthless.

Chafing is one of the reasons why I started walking in running tights and a skirt instead of trousers. I bring one pair of knee-length and one pair of full length tights, plus a merino one for warmth, sleeping in and a spare. It is also a much more versatile solution, I can wash the tights and still wear the skirt in the evening or next day with different ones. If you need to wash your trousers, they are pretty much all wet until they dry again, and that doesn't always happen overnight. I also have Under Armour shorter mid thigh ones for really hot weather, I can wear them with a skirt or a shorter tunic length merino dress. I bought an anti chafing gel in the farmacia which works great, and I wear merino underwear too. No more chafing for me.

€60,-
Thunder Thighs are us! I wore running capris (a little heavier than tights) from Athleta with a tee-shirt long enough that my hind end wasn't sticking out. And then I stopped worrying about that part because vanity is the first thing you leave behind on the Camino. I found I had to switch up my undies - regular granny panties rubbed but thong panties didn't - that was a surprise as I was expecting the other way around. Lastly, Bodyglide every morning.

I wore pants (as you can see in the picture - and I have huge thighs) and never once had a problem. Maybe if you are wearing a skirt, it would be a problem?
I must have been awfully luck as a lot of people seem to have this problem... And like I said, I have huge thighs!

Wondering about capris, didn't you find wearing black very hot in the sun???

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yep. For boys, we call them boxer-briefs. I'd recommend quality merino (such as Icebreaker, SmartWool, or Ibex), although you can find quality synthetics/tech fabrics like ExOfficio.
I second the exofficio boxer briefs. Have worn them hiking for years

Talcum powder works for me just great. Easy and cheap to buy in any Spanish farmacia. Tight boxer shorts etc. might also worked.

Ultreia!

Except that talcum powder is now being blamed for very nasty things. See here.

€60,-
I am going to try a skort for this reason (posted a thread last month for recommendations) - it seems that the shorts underneath the skort are more like bike shorts, so there shouldn't be much friction. I've used Glide in the past, but I feel like that needs to be reapplied, especially if hiking and sweating (I just use it when wearing a dress or skirt to work) A travel blogger I follow also recommends
Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel, 1.5-Ounce Tube

I leave for Asia next week and will be trying out the skort with lots of walking in lot of heat and humidity - I'll report back :)

This may be too late, but I discovered a product at REI that I just love! My issue is chafing of my knee brace. It's called "Body" and comes in a small blue travel-deodorant-type container. I've rubbed it on the sides of my knees before putting the brace on, and it's been just great. I'm sure it would work for thighs, too. And it's SO nice not to have to wear a hot sleeve under the brace in hot weather!

This may be too late, but I discovered a product at REI that I just love! My issue is chafing of my knee brace. It's called "Body" and comes in a small blue travel-deodorant-type container. I've rubbed it on the sides of my knees before putting the brace on, and it's been just great. I'm sure it would work for thighs, too. And it's SO nice not to have to wear a hot sleeve under the brace in hot weather!

Actually, It's called "Body Glide"---(snicker snicker)--and is used for marathon runners to keep their nipples from chafing. It is the only product I like using on my feet--before putting on my merino wool socks. Several people above have posted about it too--yes, it comes in a smaller and a larger stick application in a bright blue container. Get the larger one. The smaller isn't big enough.

Everyone has their own body and food products that they love, but Body Glide kept my feet from blisters. In two long-distance Caminos, only two blisters.

A friend tried to convert me to the double sock system by giving me a pair of thin Injinjis, but I only used them as a single pair, as my boots broke down about 80 k from SdC. My toes are too short for injinji socks, but I appreciated how thin their sock liners were, as I was squeezing into a men's size 10, and need a women's 11.5 when walking.

Anyway! that Body Glide (snicker snicker) is the bomb : )

Which ExOfficio boxer briefs to the laydees (or, why not? the gents) here wear? Strech-N-Go or Give-N-Go?

Which ExOfficio boxer briefs to the laydees (or, why not? the gents) here wear? Strech-N-Go or Give-N-Go?
I've been wearing the mens Give-N-Go boxers under my Macabi skirt with a little body glide and it has been working well for me.
It is good to find your solution before you go to Spain as I had a difficult time finding something that fit me while walking the camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Except that talcum powder is now being blamed for very nasty things. See here.
Talc is not the only powder one can use. For years we used cornstarch powder on baby behinds. More absorptive, and less likely to be a problem if inhaled. (Well, that was what the baby book said...) Just read the fine print on the container labels, J&J has one and I'm sure others must also. And it's powder, aside from weight issues you can pack as much as you want. But I always worry about the powder pile that appears, when one powders one's personal bits, on the floor. Tacky to leave behind for the next person to find.

About wearing black capris... I walked in September and October 2014. Being on the larger side, I was generally warmer than some people (maybe??!) I tend to wear a lot of black so maybe I was used to it! I had a really difficult time finding pants that fit me and when I did there were two colour choices - black or gray. I was fine wearing black! I did get a sleeveless top and loaded up on sunscreen!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Hal, another Sydney girl here with very large thighs and a chafing issue. I bought a couple of pairs of the men's Exoficio boxers and they seem fine though I haven't done a long walk in them yet. Then I found the Autograph stores sell a range of undergarments for the fuller figure - brand name Sonsee. They have some anti-chafing shorts and they are great - not tight, they're not a 'shaping' garment but fitting. Legs don't roll up, very comfortable. I don't think you can buy them in store - online only. Good luck!

I found walking in Capri length pants to be the most comfortable option. I had a skort with fitted shorts, but the always rode up and I was constantly yanking them down. Just wore the skort in the evening or with 3/4 length leggings after the first uncomfortable day. Wore my LL Bean roll up hiking pants after that. Very lightweight. Never took long for them to dry when washed. The skirt took far longer to dry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Honestly, the best thing to wear under a skirt to prevent chafing is something like this that isn't form fitting, and therefore won't roll up. Just cut off the lace if you don't want to be fancy. :D
18-412-Product_Primary_Image.jpg

Definitely choose a few of the suggestions and try them out (with the clothes you will be wearing) on long walks prior to your Camino. As my marathon coach always says "nothing new on race day.." I personally believe in wicking (non-cotton) underwear, form fit (not tight, not overly loose). I use body glide on runs over 12 miles, but never on my Camino (usually 12-15 miles, a couple were closer to 30/35), and had no problem but the weather was cool/cold and I have a bit of a gap o_O
Everyone is different so just start trying....except cotton. That is not a good choice for several reasons.

Edit: I DID use body glide on my feet, just not the rest of my body...900 miles,one blister.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Walking and hiking with a chafing butt can be difficult. If you have a sweaty butt or thighs it can lead to redness, itching, soreness and possibly some real bad rashes. This can happen to anybody on long walks like this one. Calamine powder works the free for me and it you are interested in putting on safe chemical in your skin, check out www.antimonkeybutt.com for their lade formula which has no talc in the anti-itch powder. I have taken this on longer ones than this one and it provided me protection for the whole day. Its good to have it on you because if you notice that its happening, you can sprinkle a little bit on and you don't have to be bothered with it anymore. I'm telling you as a runner/walker/trail lovers. This is a MUST have like wearing your shoes. Good luck.

Attachments

• monkey.png
    monkey.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 2
As my marathon coach always says "nothing new on race day.."o_O

Wish I could repeat "likes" from now to midnight. Probably the most important piece of advice for anyone beginning a long-distance walk. Go with what you KNOW works for you. Underwear, boots/shoes/sandals, socks, rucksack - everything you intend to take should be tried out at home first. Well in advance. Try a couple of days walking with exactly the gear you plan to use - over the maximum distance you expect to walk per day. A full dress rehearsal. Most problems that are clothing/footwear/equipment related show up pretty quickly. A couple of longish days will probably reveal any serious problems. Not necessarily consecutive days. If you are not an experienced walker you will also get some better idea of your own ability. Also a good idea to wear your planned footwear at home as much as possible. Including to work if your dress code allows it. That way you have time to diagnose any problems and resolve them before you begin walking. So much easier then. Please do not lay yourselves open to nasty surprises by keeping your gear all shiny and squeaky-clean until you board the plane :-(

Wish I could repeat "likes" from now to midnight. Probably the most important piece of advice for anyone beginning a long-distance walk. Go with what you KNOW works for you. Underwear, boots/shoes/sandals, socks, rucksack - everything you intend to take should be tried out at home first. Well in advance. Try a couple of days walking with exactly the gear you plan to use - over the maximum distance you expect to walk per day. A full dress rehearsal. Most problems that are clothing/footwear/equipment related show up pretty quickly. A couple of longish days will probably reveal any serious problems. Not necessarily consecutive days. If you are not an experienced walker you will also get some better idea of your own ability. Also a good idea to wear your planned footwear at home as much as possible. Including to work if your dress code allows it. That way you have time to diagnose any problems and resolve them before you begin walking. So much easier then. Please do not lay yourselves open to nasty surprises by keeping your gear all shiny and squeaky-clean until you board the plane :-(
I was aghast:eek:, aghast I tell you, when one room mate in SJPdP proudly displayed the boots she'd bought that day, to begin her walk the following day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.