• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help in Leon

givney42

I was able to make it to Leon with two severely blistered feet. And the hotel I was able to find is outside Leon centre, so would have to walk to get into main part of city. I know I cannot walk that right now let alone trying to walk across the room is beyond painful. Does any one know of Amy medical services close by the Santiago hotel? I have booked my room for 5 days to see if the time off my feet will help. Any help or suggestions welcome!

Kim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Kim,

I dont know area but there will no doubt be a pharmacy somewhere nearby they are everywhere.

I can give you a little advice on how to treat the blisters if that'd help?
If you can't walk there, maybe ask someone to go for you.
If they can find a small 10ml syringe you can use that to drain the blisters.
Failing that, a small sewing needle, sterilised with a flame will work.

Inserts the syringe/needle to the side and at the base of the blister (nearer your foot) and allow to drain.
Do not take the skin off the blisters as this can lead to infection.
Dry the blister in open air then you must cover the blister but try avoiding using anything sticky on the blister skin itself because when you come to pull the dressing off, it could pull the skin.

Another tip is when the blister is drained, use a sterilised thread through both ends of the blister to allow an opening for additional fluid to drain out overnight. VERY USEFUL.

If your blister smells, or goes excesively red it could already be infected, and you need to see a doctor.

when your good to walk again, heres a few tips.
Buy womens sanitary towels!
You can place them on top of your inner soles, fold the 'wings' and stick them to the underside.
They absorb a load of moisture that causes blisters and gives extra padding for the soreness.

When walking, stop as often as you need and do the 'blister drain' process thoroughly. Your feet need to be your main priority!
At every stream, stop bathe the feet, take down the swelling, dry thoroughly, drain, dry, re-dress.
You may also want to try wearing a second pair of thinner socks.
This allows the 2 pairs of socks to rub together and not on your foot.

Most importantly, stay positive. This is just your body's way of saying STOP, you need to pay me some attention. Time and care now could make the difference.

Good luck kim and Buen Camino!

Greg

Hi - For me the best way to deal with blisters is to clean the area as throughly as possible and pass a threaded sterilsed needle through the blister leaving the thread in situ to drain the fluid. This relieves the pressure and therefore the pain. Leave the thread in and apply a light dressing and all will be well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Greg! I've been doing the needle/thread routine throughout and while it would drain overnight, the blisters became much worse. My guess at this point from what you wrote is it may be doctor time. The roof of one peeled off this afternoon and I cleaned it best I could, doused it with hand sanitizer (70%rubbing alcohol) the filled in the space with a huge amount of antibiotic cream, covered in gauze and cut one coolmax sock to fit over area with being open at the toe, since this one is on my heel.
I've been doing the two sock thing along, and stopping to but my feet are telling me they needed more I guess.
While the hotel is nice...the staff are not much help

Hi again

Sometimes there comes a point where you simply have to stop walking and let your feet recover. Rest and recuperate. After a couple of days rest try applying vaseline before both layers of socks. When walking take your boots and socks off when you stop after every two or three hours and air them. This worked for me.

Good luck

John

I'd echo John here - spend a day or two resting. Things will settle a bit too if you get some mental rest too. If infection sets in, go to the doctor, otherwise I'd go to a farmacia and get their advice.

Good luck and buen camino,

Andy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds like you've been doing the right things, just need the rest now.
Get some junk food in and watch some rubbish TV for a while and you'll be eager to get moving once the pain subsides.

Remember, its sometimes the bad times that you'll remember with a smile. Stay positive, listen to the body and you'll get there.

Greg

holy moley, you ARE out of town... you´re heading north toward Oviedo on the Camino San Salvador! One lucky thing, though, is you are very near the big new hospital in Leon, it´s right on the road to where you are, about 2 km. back toward town. Get a cab to take you to Urgencias, and get your feet looked at right away.

If you need a serious break, take the cab to the train station and get yourself back to Sahagun, a half-hour train ride. You can stay here at the Peaceable for a little while as you recover. (We´re doing more and more of this kind of pilgrim service lately at our house in Moratinos.) When you´re feeling better you can catch the train back to Leon.
Send me an IM if you think it´s an option.
Get better!
Reb.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
KIm,
I took a day off to allow some blisters to heal at one stage. in hindsight, it was a very wise thing to do, though I was upset about it at the time. Do take time to let your body heal a bit if it needs it- and I think it sounds like you would be wise to take Rebekah's advice about getting to the Urgencias...
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All wise advice. But if you really really have to walk on a deep blister that has 'lost it's top' here is a way to it that worked for me when I had no option but to push on ( note the blister was not infected):-

Neatly rim away the surplus skin of the blister's 'cap', clean with antiseptic (I got a tiny spray bottle of german antiseptic that doesn't sting which is fantastic) let exposed 'crater' dry off completely (the dryness is important).

Take one of the larger compeed plasters (I used the triangular ones for this) and from the thicker central section cut out a shape that matches the exposed part of your blister (note leave a thin strip of compeed linking the form to the outer edge of the plaster otherwise it will be difficult to peel off the plastic backing). Place the compeed form INTO your blister crater and push firmly. Then cover blister with a regular compeed plaster to suit. Change and repeat this process 2 times a day. Its not painful taking the plaster off and the 'plug' generally comes off with the cover plaster.

This really worked for me when and I was able to walk for a further 4 days to my journeys end. Apologies for the graphic detail but this approach took a couple of attempts to finesse and was resorted to when other approaches had failed.

Nell

Hi Kim
I had blisters! A doctor told me to get off my feet for 3 days, and pilgrims encouraged me to get lighter socks.

That was just what I needed, but the waiting to go again can be really boring.

The longer you stay in your room with your socks off, and your feet airing, the faster your torn blisters will dry out.

Peace, while you rest, and God speed when you walk again,
David, Victoria, Canada

PS take Rebekah's advice. Hospital, and perhaps train and taxi to Moratinos.
Send Rebekah a personal message (PM) and she will give you more details on how to get there.

Rebekah Scott said:
You can stay here at the Peaceable for a little while as you recover.

Kim, I hope your blisters have vastly improved by now. But I also want to send hugs and kudos to Rebekah. What a lovely asset you are to both this on-line community and the Camino itself.

Good on ya girl!

Sheesh

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you and bless you all for your advise, well wishes and help. Yesterday was the first time I was able to walk farther than the lobby to let my service dog out to go potty. Managed to go up to the hospital nearby to have them take a look and make sure feet are healing. They were amazed at the healing properties of hand sanitizer. Feet are feeling better, and hope to take a bus up to Astorga tomorrow and start walking from there. My time is now more limited after having to take such time off from walking. I do know that I will not be able to walk the usual daily distance, so will be leaving a lot of prayers to finding evening lodging for Nigel and I. From Madrid on up to Leon some people have been beyond kind in allowing Nigel and I to ha e a bed. And there have been those who have turned us away, even with the note stating Nigel is registered with ONCE and allowed the same privileges as a guide dog.

Kim

Givney, congratulations on being so wise and patient. Buen camino to both you and Nigel. I´m hitting the camino tomorrow from Monforte de Lemos; if I see you in Santiago I´ll be sure to say hello!

As for me "rocking," I think any one of you would do the same thing if you lived nearby, and such a need was evident.

Buen camino, all you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Rebekah,

Isn't Monforte de Lemos on the Invierno? The point where all the trail markings suddenly disappeared? If so, are you going on a trail-blazing mission? Will you make notes for any of us less-intrepid peregrinos who wish to follow less adventurous paths?

Made it to Ponferrada but after having to walk 16+ miles to find a bed, my feet are really bad again. Rebekah, I have sent you an I'M. Asking of your offer is still available.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.