• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Needed - Hospitalized in Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabrice

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi I need your help
My brother was actually in Camino de santiago staying at Castro hotel
He went missing on Monday night 24 july
And was found badly injured in hospital
Santiago Clinic Hospital CHUS
He is actually in a coma and nobody know what happened to him.
If anybody have any information please let me know. We are from mauritius and he is alone there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am so sorry to hear Fabrice.
You must be so worried.
Sorry I cannot help you from here.
I do hope the Police will do their utmost best to get more information.
Which Camino did your brother walk?

Again: all the best to your brother and all of you!
I guess by now embassy or consulate is involved?

Last edited:
Hello Fabrice, and welcome to this forum. So sorry to hear about your brother. This must be agony for you and your family.

You brother walked a Camino to Santiago? Which Camino did he hike? and when / where did he start?
Did he make any friends along the way? What name did he use? Like XXX from Mauritius.

Surely pilgrims must have met him, and know what he was up to on the evening of July 4.

Sofar, I have not been albe to find anything about him in the Spanish press, but news can be slow.

All the best!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi I need your help
If anybody have any information please let me know. We are from mauritius and he is alone there.
That night, precedes St James day holiday and there would have been a lot of people up really late celebrating with alcohol and fireworks.

It is possible that he somehow got involved with some of the people who were celebrating.

Hello @Fabrice . We are very dismayed to learn about your brother's situation.

Can you confirm that the police have been involved? If anyone has information about what might have happened, perhaps they should forward it to the police in Santiago.

Do you have some local contacts in Santiago who can help you with communication and information?

Hi I need your help
Hi everyone, we as part of the family as we are far and that the procedure may take some time, we would like to know if someone had witnessed or heard something which happened on the Monday 24th July in the afternoon, near the castro hotel or around the surrounding which will help us into the investigation as he was alone and no one is really able to understand and know how it happened that our brother was found in hospital in a critical state.
Any information from your side would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Déborah

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone, we as part of the family as we are far and that the procedure may take some time, we would like to know if someone had witnessed or heard something which happened on the Monday 24th July in the afternoon, near the castro hotel or around the surrounding which will help us into the investigation as he was alone and no one is really able to understand and know how it happened that our brother was found in hospital in a critical state.
Any information from your side would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Déborah

Is the Police already involved? This would mean that pilgrims who are now walking or walked in Spain ( were in Santiago that evening ) can go somewhere for an official report.
I will tell two of my friends who were there on those two days of your question ( they are not on this forum ).

Last edited:
We are from mauritius and he is alone there.
I am so sorry, Fabrice and Déborah. You must be worried sick.

we would like to know if someone had witnessed or heard something which happened on the Monday 24th July in the afternoon, near the castro hotel or around the surrounding
The only Castro Hotel I can find in Santiago is the one near the Bosque Encantado on the Camino Ingles, on the outskirts of the city.

It may help to post a message here and on FB forums to anyone who was walking the Ingles then.

Assuming the police are involved? Hopefully so, because then pilgrims will have a place to report what they may know.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Perhaps a PM here on the Forum to @SYates or @natefaith ? They are there on the ground and would be in a good position to know who can help with this.
Excellent idea, not wanting to put anyone out. But It does not seem like Deboyold (the family) speak great English.

Its a big ask, but if someone could message a pilgrim on the ground maybe they can make some inquiries for the family, explain the situation to the appropriate authorities, and pass on a contact number through this forum.

Excellent idea, not wanting to put anyone out. But It does not seem like Deboyold (the family) speak great English.

Its a big ask, but if someone could message a pilgrim on the ground maybe they can make some inquiries for the family, explain the situation to the appropriate authorities, and pass on a contact number through this forum.

Their English is clear enough!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Their English is clear enough!
Sorry, should've been clearer. There were multiple posts asking if the family had checked with Police or authorities, and there wasn't any significant reply. So I thought someone from the forum could assist in gaining more information, to help them. It may simply have been the stress from hearing about the accident, extra assistance is usually good, no harm intended.

I was just trying to be expedient given the nature of the issue.

Sorry, should've been clearer. There were multiple posts asking if the family had checked with Police or authorities, and there wasn't any significant reply. So I thought someone from the forum could assist in gaining more information, to help them. It may simply have been the stress from hearing about the accident, extra assistance is usually good, no harm intended.

I was just trying to be expedient given the nature of the issue.
So much we do not know, and hearts hurting in the family of the person in hospital. This strikes a chord right now, with a citizen of North America in hospital here in Dublin as a result of a brutal attack by teenagers... sorry for derailment, but there is a link... violence out of control...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure if this is such a good idea? Privacy regulations nowadays... sadly...

A first name would be nice, an indication of his age, and a description.

The family will be busy as it is. Distance, Language problems. Plus there is a slight time zone, it is 2 hours later in Mauritius than in Spain.

Hopefully, the family will have more news soon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Could this have anything to do with it?
They may be unrelated.
EDIT: ( As in incidents not familial connections)

Last edited:
Hi I need your help
Did he walk the del Norte ? I met a gentleman from mauritius traveling with two sisters , they left earlier and he continued on his own .
I am in Santiago now until Aug 4th

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Surely there is someone at the Pilgrim House who can help? They are such lovely people there.

As per my previous post I feel that the likelihood is that they are related and the Authorities (and Mauritian consulate) are keeping the family informed.
I would leave this matter to the professionals who are in a much better position to deal with this in a compassionate, sympathetic and accurate manner.

Could this have anything to do with it?
They may be unrelated.

The details certainly do seem to fit.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A couple of us referred them here after a post on the Reddit Camino sub. This was a much better location for some effective help. I’m happy to see, as always, that that’s the case.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My understanding of OP is that this was a request for any 3rd party info from potential witnesses about what might have caused the injury and hospitalisation, rather than a request for more direct help as such.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My understanding of OP is that this was a request for any 3rd party info from potential witnesses about what might have caused the injury and hospitalisation, rather than a request for more direct help as such.
Agree.

This thread will be closed. Any information should go to the Santiago police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.