• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

help setting up blog

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
can anyone help me (even by PM so regulars don't get tired of the topic)
I have friends, customers and family to keep updated, and my impression was a Wordpress blog would be the easiest way to go to upload updates and photos.
I'm already stumped as Wordpress.com say there is already an account out there - not sure if that means my email or user name? But there is no account when I check reset password

and I am NOT a techie but have created simple pages from templates on a couple of sights, so I think I could make it work if I can actually get in to that part.
It sounds like Wordpress.org is the simplest but I have no idea where to start or how to actually do this or how fast 3Gb is used up if photos are uploaded

My business has facebook but I do not! Would it be easier to make a facebook account and let it be public? However most of my clients are older and intimidated by checking out facebook even if an account isn't required by the reader

uggh Nanc

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
thank you
I just looked at their web site, it does appear simple, and free is good.
I have sent a question to them as they talk about a limit of 6 photos for the footprint you create.
I have asked if each town could be a new footprint or if we are limited to one journey
waiting to hear
Nanc

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm trying to figure out the same issue. Most folks seem to think that Wordpress is not one of the more intuitive programs to use. They say that blogger.com is much easier.

There are many posts and videos on the web which describe/show how to set up a blog. Scan a few to understand the process and get ideas.

Now I blog directly on a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S5) after using Google Blogspot to set up the blogs on my computer years ago. These blogs are synced to the phone. When posting via the phone using an app called Blogger it all goes quite smoothly. Photos can also be attached from the phone to the post.

Blog posts can easily be written over time off-line in a Memo app. When proofed using Memo I click share via/Blog and attach a photo. All is then posted via WiFi automatically to the blog.

Happy blogging and Buen camino!

Last edited:
I found the easiest thing to do was set up a Facebook page, and made it public so anyone could see it, even those who never use social media. My 86 year old father was quite happy with this. I have a small android phone and it was easy to upload photos and comments each day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is a difference between https://wordpress.com (free blog) https://wordpress.org (used to install a blog on a hosting account and you do need an own domain name). For a free, simple blog wordpress.com is the easiest, if you can't access your old account, simply create a new one. You also have the option to purchase/rent a domain name for ~15$/year that way your website adress is shorter, like caminoblog.com instead of caminoblog.wordpress.com.

Wordpress.com has a lot of helpful tutorials and you can create as many free blogs as you like, I suggest that you create a test blog at the same time as you create your real one. That way, if you are unsure how things work, you can test them out on your sandbox blog and don't risk anything with your real blog.

And last, but not least, try out blogging via email, I think that limits photos to 3 per blog post but might be a good way when on the Camino.

Happy blogging and Buen Camino, SY

Hi Nanc

I've just been through the process of creating a blog. I signed up for a course through
Coursera. I've done loads of courses with them and they're usually excellent. However,
the Create a Website in a weekend was truly pants ! But Youtube does have some good
tutorial content.

The best advice I got was to look through a series of blogs that you like and then use that style.
Then on a piece of paper, using a pencil, lay out how you'd like it to look, how people will navigate
around etc. I've ended up using Wordpress.org's' Twenty Ten theme hosted at Wordpress.com.
I chose this after reading Maggie's excellent blog https://magwood.me/

It does seem to be difficult to change the layout of a theme so, pick a theme you're happy with.
( Which seems to the advice given for choosing a partner ! )

When I've got a little more content I'll post it up on here, unless you want to see what an
embryo blog looks like !

thank you
I just looked at their web site, it does appear simple, and free is good.
I have sent a question to them as they talk about a limit of 6 photos for the footprint you create.
I have asked if each town could be a new footprint or if we are limited to one journey
waiting to hear
Nanc
You can set multiple "footprints" each day, and you are encouraged to do so. From their site:

On FindPenguins we allow up to 6 photos for each footprint. But as the number of footprints on FindPenguins is unlimited, the number of photos you can upload in total is also unlimited.

The reason for a limitation is, that we want you to set footprints for various places: For example a footprint on the beach, one at your hotel and one for the national park nearby

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I start the Camino in late August and to allow family and friends to keep track of my movements I have started a blog on Travelpod.com
It's free and it also has an app which makes updating on my iPad or iPhone really easy, as well as loading photos.

I start the Camino in late August and to allow family and friends to keep track of my movements I have started a blog on Travelpod.com
It's free and it also has an app which makes updating on my iPad or iPhone really easy, as well as loading photos.
Travelpod looks great, but they don't have an Android app yet. :(

Travelpod looks great, but they don't have an Android app yet. :(
That's a shame, cause it is quite easy to use. Good luck with the hunt.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
all very helpful. thank you

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.