• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sizing Up on Shoes

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is a problem, not knowing how much larger feet will get and the possibility of early blisters as they are too loose (double up on socks will work).
I don't quite know why feet get larger .. since I moved to trekking sandals some years ago (Keen Newports) I have not had the growing feet problem. So - is it because encased feet are always too hot? No idea!

This post was originally in response to a post about wearing waterproof socks!

However the passage below is completely to do with what happened to my Stinson shoe sizing; without any inclusion of waterproof socks!!!!
I forgot this ;before my first Camino i usually wore UK size 11 walking boots (doing upwards of 50 miles a week ) but taking advice from the forum i upsized to a size 12 UK Hoka Stinson ATR6 (expensive but i love them; i wear them as my everyday shoe now at home)and that upsize helped i suppose with the wearing/fitting of waterproof socks even with feet swelling over the miles!

However while training; well walking the dog (really hard core stuff 🤣 ) i found them a bit snug even with just Darn toughs on (not sure why after 3 years wearing this size) so now in UK12.5's and comfortable again!

For a 200K trek (GR65 via Podiesis), how likely am I going to need to size up on my Hoka Stinsons which currently fit very comfortably wearing Darn Tough socks?
I would say it's less of an issue with trail runners unless they are really snug, than say a rigid pair of boots. I did the CF in trail runners at normal size with no problem even on 40km days. I didn't notice my feet got any bigger though, but guess everyone is different. One concern I had with sizing up was the worry my feet would move around too much.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Echoing trecile, we can't authoritatively answer that question for you. What is your current experience in hiking or walking long distances over 2-3 days? What happens to your feet?

Simply from my own experience, my feet grew and stayed larger after my pregnancies, and have spread out again in the last 5 years. Mine swell between 1/2 to one full size during any given day's walk, regardless of temperature. I pay attention to that in the store, getting fitted at the end of the day and making sure through lacing that my heels don't slip. I have never had any luck in buying shoes online that I haven't tried on in a store.

Your mileage *will* vary.

My feet grew 2 sizes after walking the camino. I was already wearing too small shoes, and my feet swelled after walking 10 miles with a pack on, and my muscles grew strong and big. After walking hundreds of miles in too small hiking shoes, I recommend making sure you can use your toes when you walk. Your toes should have wiggle and grip room. And realize you may very well have to buy a bigger pair after walking a few weeks.

I told one peregrina whom I met and doctored her blisters, that her shoes were too small. She replied that her feet were blister prone and all of her shoes at home gave her blisters too. I thought for a minute and then suggested that she may want to size up on all of her shoes-- the ones at home as well. I suspect that many of us wear shoes a half size too small.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wear shoes that many would find too large and even sloppy if they are not used to them. I have no problem with slippage of the heel if I lace them properly.

Many people have to deal with size quandaries every day because one foot is larger than the other. One of my feet is longer but narrower, probably by a half-size, so what is my "normal" shoe size? Obviously it is more important to size for the larger one, which means that I need a half size longer, plus a half-size wider, to accommodate the pair. Then I maybe need a half-size for swelling. Anything except the biggest combination will sometimes hurt one foot or the other, so I rely on lacing and socks to accommodate the differences. (A few people have such a large discrepancy that they must buy two pairs. I think there are internet services to help these people find a shoe match.)

I love having lots of room, and hate having tight shoes.

It seems you have some fundamental choices - buy new shoes or go with those you currently own.

If you decide to get new shoes, get them fitted properly. There is a short version of my take on how to do this here.

If you do decide to go with the shoes you currently have, you might need to use a couple of different approaches to keep your toes from hitting against the toecap. I had this problem on my first camino, and wrote this about how to avoid it.

If you do decide to go with the shoes you currently have, you might need to use a couple of different approaches to keep your toes from hitting against the toecap.
Agreed. My toes hit my toecap all the way down hills, and yes, I lost the toenails on both my big toes.

It impresses my teenaged scouts when I tell them this-- and then they always ask if I saved the toe nails after they fell off. I didn't.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would say it's less of an issue with trail runners unless they are really snug, than say a rigid pair of boots. I did the CF in trail runners at normal size with no problem even on 40km days. I didn't notice my feet got any bigger though, but guess everyone is different. One concern I had with sizing up was the worry my feet would move around too much.
I always have swelling, even with trail runners. I always go up 1/2 size. My new Hoka speedboats are a little loose so I plane to wear Injinji cool max toe socks then some merino socks (probably med weight).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think I'm gonna go this route unless I encounter discomfort while training this summer for fall trek.

For a 200K trek (GR65 via Podiesis), how likely am I going to need to size up on my Hoka Stinsons which currently fit very comfortably wearing Darn Tough socks?
The usual advice is one size larger (European sizes) or a ½ size US/UK/etc ones.

Having said that, some people's feet just don't swell even on a long hike. And if you have very large feet, you may need to advise ...

I don't quite know why feet get larger ..
Before my first Camino I was French size 44 -- was lucky because the surplus army boots I found were size 45, so I dodged that particular swollen feet bullet !!

Now 30 years and 6 long pilgrimages later I am French size 50.

Don't know why they get larger either !!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The usual advice is one size larger (European sizes) or a ½ size US/UK/etc ones.

For what it's worth, the European sizes increase by 1 for every Paris point (2⁄3 centimeter, 6.67 mm). The UK/US sizes increase by 1 for every barleycorn (1⁄3 inch, 8.47 mm).

Get shoes properly fitted if you can. It is only if you cannot get to an outfitter who can do a proper fitting that this rule of thumb helpful. For example, those who shop online and don't (yet) know their shoe size in a particular brand, might find it useful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I went with biggest shoe size I could as long as my heel was not moving up and down in back. Went with lone peak altra’s due to large toe box and used double layer toe Sox. Did not put anything on my feet and had no sore spot or blister. Walked 33 days

I’ve sized up 2+ sizes. Technically my feet are size EU 39, but I now wear size EU 43 (US 11) trail runners and boots. That’s to allow good arch support sports inner soles, two layers of socks and a thumb’s width of room in front of my longest toe. Started a half size smaller because I was concerned they’d be too big/floppy but it’s fine and no problem walking at all…

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.