• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi pilgrims, im going to walk the camino in april 2008

molle

My name is Molle, im 41 years old and from Denmark. Im preparing to walk from S.j.d.p.p to Santiago and if I have some extra days availiable, I will continue to Finisterre. My plan is to start the first week of april and finish about 30 days later. I want to combine the spiritual aspect in me, with the physical in walking. I will write a little bit more when I have some more time available. Looking forward to a great pilgrimage. Molle

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Molle,
I'm 45 and from the US. I plan on walking the camino around the same time as you. Actually I'll begin in Roncesvalles during the last week of March. I'm giving myself about 5 weeks with a couple extra days alotted for recooperation. Maybe our paths will cross along the way.

Arlene

Hola Molle and Arlene,
How exciting that you are planning your pilgrimage for next spring - such a beautiful time to walk el camino with breathtaking wild flowers, big fat baby storks in huge nests on top of towers and steeples, and everything beautifully green!
However, I'm sure you know that March - April can also be a treacherous time of the year, especially in the mountain areas. PLEASE check the weather forecasts each day before you start. The locals know their weather so always listen to them if they warn you not to walk or to walk a certain route. And, if the weather does change suddenly, stay close to other pilgrims.
There are a few scary posts on this Forum made in April of people being caught in the snow, a pilgrim dying between St Jean and Roncesvalles and another member having to return to Canada after suffering frostbite and hypothermia. Be prepared with warm clothing and waterproofs. Know the local emergency numbers to contact eg: 112 is the Europe-wide emergency number. It works even if you have no money in a pre-paid mobile phone or even if your supplier has no network. It works 24/7 365 days - and the operators speak many languages. The number for the Guardia Civil in Spain is 062.
You probably won't need any of these numbers but best to be prepared!
Pilgrim hugs,
Sil

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Arlene! I will start about 7 days later than you. Im flying from Copenhagen to Biarritz the 2nd of april and then by train/bus to Bayonne and from Bayonne to SJPP. To start with I planned to walk for 30 days, but now I have changed my schedule so I can stay for yet another week and put in a resting day here and there. I have read about the tragic incidents on the mountain between SJPP - Ronchevalle and if the weather is like that when I arrive in Biarritz perhaps I will go directly to Ronchevalle instead. Maybe we will meet along the way to Santiago, I will be writing some more later on this site. Molle Ps: thank you Sill for giving a warm and caring welcome :D

Sil,
I did read about the weather related tragedies and I will definitely take your advice about checking the weather forcasts and listening to the locals. I'm planning on bringing some extra clothing wih the idea that if I get too warm I can always shed them, but I definitely don't want to be cold...and wet.
That being said, I am so excited....only about 5 months to go.

Arlene

One can't rely on past weather patterns. This year, April was a cold, wet and muddy month to walk but April can also be a glorious month to walk el camino. All the inclement weather in recent years has been blamed on global warming where, even last year, ski resorts reported no snow in January but blizzards and floods in March. Last year I walked a section of the Via Francigena to Rome and some places in Italy recorded 40oC in June whereas pilgrims this year reported on cool, wet weather for most of June and July.
There are three 'high' places along the camino frances - the highest being near Manjarin and the last one at O'Cebreiro. If you find that you don't need all your thermals and fleeces after the start, post them Lista de Correos to Leon (24080 LeĂłn) and collect them there. That'll save you carrying them for 400kms.
I wish all you April babies sunshine and blue skies, spectacular wild flowers and a magical, spring journey.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back