• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Sandals on the Camino

Jerronymo

Time of past OR future Camino
10 Sept 2024
In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
I’ve walked the CF 3x. The first time I started with my favorite pair of hiking shoes but discarded them in Pamplona after painful blisters. I purchased a pair of hiking sandals there and happily wore them to Santiago and for the two subsequent Caminos. Everyone is different but for me they made the difference. There are a couple of tricky bits where I was glad I had hiking poles but other than that it’s mostly a flat gravel track.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are set on one of those two choices and none of the in between options, I’d choose hiking sandals. There’s no need for boots on the CP coastal in my opinion — it’s mostly flat road/path/boardwalk walking, not mountains and rocks.

If you are open to other possibilities, trail runners or low-top hiking shoes (which is what I use — https://www.decathlon.it/p/scarpe-trekking-uomo-redmond-v-outdry-marroni/_/R-p-X8598137) or similar is what most people wear.

I agree with many others.... in my opinion leather hiking boots definitely too heavy and too hot as well as overkill for the road walking. I started in trail runners but swapped out to Keen sandals in Burgos. I was hiking in August and my feel swelled from the heat. Sandals turned out to be a life saver. I am going again this summer and as some have suggested will be taking trail runners and sandals. Initially sandals will be for evenings, albergues, etc. But I an swap into them if my feet are too hot or start swelling or getting blisters.

Sandals. I've walked that route and it's not difficult nor the need for boots. Your feet will be happy. I have Ecco sandals, good support, and options for with our without socks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am with team sandals. I wore Chacos exclusively on the Frances and Norte and felt they were great for me during a summer Camino.

I am currently on the via Podiensis and am alternating between sandals and trail runners (there is a lot of mud on this route currently).

Definitely would not recommend leather boots.

I agree with others who have said there is no reason at all to wear hiking boots on the coastal camino. I do not think you need them on any camino. I have never worn hiking sandals but I know some who do and love them. I am a trail runner guy and only ever wear Brooks Cascadias.
Trail runners with the sandals as a backup, also used for hostel & evening wear
An ever lighter alternative to sandals would be Toms shoes. They are super lightweight and you can wear them in a pinch on alot of the coastal. They also do amazing charity work giving away a pair of shoes for every pair they sell as well as other humanitarian work. They are an awesome company.

I would not wear leather hiking boots at all. I recommend a good pair of hiking sandals and some comfortable trail runners. Anything with good cushion/support will work fine. The coastal route has very few areas where hiking boots would apply.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the CF wore Chaos Mega Z sandals for all but 10 miles. Wear them on most other hikes I do in USA & Crete.

Wore them exclusively on CP Lisbon to Porto in 2023. Will exclusively wear them in 2024 to finish CP Central, Finisterre/Muxia. Will not take any other shoes, except flip flops for evening.

I do not wear socks with sandals.

I’ve walked the CF 3x. The first time I started with my favorite pair of hiking shoes but discarded them in Pamplona after painful blisters. I purchased a pair of hiking sandals there and happily wore them to Santiago and for the two subsequent Caminos. Everyone is different but for me they made the difference. There are a couple of tricky bits where I was glad I had hiking poles but other than that it’s mostly a flat gravel track.
What was the brand?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On my first camino I had the dreaded blister on my right little toe, as a back up I carried a pair of Teva sandals, what a god send these were, carried me through for a week until Pinky was better. This year for my main footwear I'm thinking of Keen closed toe sandals which I love and as a spare the faithful Teva's. I do have a wide selections on lightweight walking shoes but in September/October walking sandals sing out to me.
Comments as always welcome.

Hiking sandals are great, especially if it’s hot! Due to a bad blister last year, on the ball of my foot, I alternated between Keen sandals and Altras. It was a Camino saver for me!

On my first camino I had the dreaded blister on my right little toe, as a back up I carried a pair of Teva sandals, what a god send these were, carried me through for a week until Pinky was better. This year for my main footwear I'm thinking of Keen closed toe sandals which I love and as a spare the faithful Teva's. I do have a wide selections on lightweight walking shoes but in September/October walking sandals sing out to me.
Comments as always welcome.
Toe socks help with the pinky blisters if you are looking to try shoes again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll join the chorus here. Definitely not boots! I wore hiking shoes on the CF two years ago and had terrible blisters. Bought a pair of Quechua hiking sandals in Burgos and a decent pair of inserts, and they literally saved my Camino. All these people can't be wrong!! Buen Camino!

My first Camino I got bad blisters. For my second Camino I thought I had it all sorted but no, blisters again. By day 3 I put on my Tevas and that’s all I wore after that. I finished the CF and then went onto the CP from Porto. By this stage I became brave and walked without socks. I remained blister free!

After getting blisters from my walk in to Santiago (despite Vaseline, toe sock liners, merino wool socks, etc) I bought hiking sandals in Santiago and walked on to Finisterre either no problems (but poles were a lifesaver).

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
My Teva hiking sandals served me well throughout my hiking experiences in rugged northern Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. Thank you all for anecdotal Camino advices. Bon Camino to you all.

Another vote for tevas (with socks, yes, I'm a heathen!) in summer. My hiking boots are well worn in and comfortable, so I tend to take both and alternate as needed.

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
Bring both and use them depending on terrain. Loose stony and wet and muddy sections avoid sandals which are ideal for evenings etc.

Most read last week in this forum

In preparing for my upcoming Camino, I’ve been wearing 100% polyester t-shirts, which dry reasonably quickly, but I didn’t like how they felt on my skin, and I felt that they retained too much...
Need a new backpack after using a very old one last year and had blisters in spite of keeping it light. Looked at other threads for advice, but wonder if there’s there a good backpack with daypack...
Looking for any suggestions for where I might purchase a size small Altus poncho. I live in the U.S. and two years ago purchased mine on-line from a shop in Pamploma, and am looking to purchase...
Well, actually re the subject... Considering that I have no rain gear at all, I need to buy something. The alternatives are: a poncho or a rain jacket or windbreaker and rain pants. What would be...
Hi everyone, would appreciate feedback for my pack. Will be walking the Camino Frances starting 21st Aug 2024. Details here: https://lighterpack.com/r/n0xqyk While compiling this, I learnt that...
Starting in CF late September… looking for a small fanny pack / shoulder pack…but it needs to have a pocket large enough for a credential. Can anybody provide me with the dimensions of a folded...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.