• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking up O Cebreiro in the Rain

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hello, we’re looking at hiking up O Cebreiro on Monday, and it will be raining. We were wondering if it’s better to hike up the road when it’s raining, or is the trail safe enough? We hiked down from Cruz de Ferro yesterday, and we understood why many people say to take the road if it’s raining instead of the trail. Any input on going up O Cebreiro in the rain would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Rick and Lucia Fletcher

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We (my wife and I, 60 years old) hiked up to O Cebreiro from Las Herrerias under heavy cold rain and in the early morning darkness last October. We took the trail, and would do it again. It was muddy for sure, but at no point did we feel it was dangerous. In my view, cars on the road, in dark and rainy conditions, would have been a much greater source of risks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In bad weather I would take the road. I have never done that before. But now I am 70... The hike up there is in parts very steep and muddy. In good weather it is delightful. In bad weather it is bad.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In bad weather I would take the road. I have never done that before. But now I am 70... The hike up there is in parts very steep and muddy. In good weather it is delightful. In bad weather it is bad.
I guess that our opinions are formed by what we are used to.

I am 70, going on 71 with reduced lung capacity due to scaring and the walk up to O Cebrerio is just a trot up a hill. It is not a big deal unless you are physically handicapped or walking with the use of a walker.

The trail is fine. It is an average 4.8% gradient.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did it in rain and it wasn’t that bad. It didn’t get so muddy that you would skip or get stuck. I think at the halfway point there is a little cabin where you can take a break from the rain. I could be wrong.

We (my wife and I, 60 years old) hiked up to O Cebreiro from Las Herrerias under heavy cold rain and in the early morning darkness last October. We took the trail, and would do it again. It was muddy for sure, but at no point did we feel it was dangerous. In my view, cars on the road, in dark and rainy conditions, would have been a much greater source of risks.
Hubby and I also hiked up to O Cebreiro last October in a wicked rain and wind storm! Like you, never felt it was dangerous.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone . Just a live update from today… our hike up O Cebreiro. It was raining lightly when we started out and grew heavier. By the time we got to the trailhead vs the road outside of Herrerias, the entry to the trail had construction tape draped across the entry. We decided to take the hint and hike up the road as we weren’t sure if the high river had caused some damage on the trail. By the time we reached La Faba, it started to hail. We headed up the trail and encountered heavy sideways snow due to wind. It was beautiful and very cold. We were so thankful to have a room in O Cebreiro tonight as our shoes and clothes are soaked. We’ll be able to attend the Pilgrims’ blessing at 7:00. It’s still snowing up here right now! Buen Camino to all who are out here!!
Rick and Lucia

We just climbed from Astorga to Foncebadón yesterday and trail conditions were awful from Rabanal to Foncebadón. Besides the heavy snow falling - once you get 2 km outside Rabanal the trail becomes a full on stream and is completely flooded in huge puddles and ankle deep mud. No way not to get your feet completely soaked over and over again. Just go very slow, use your poles and enjoy the blooming pink and yellow flowers along the trail!!!! Even in the 0 degree C temperatures our wet feet were bearable as long as we kept moving. We didn’t take the road because the drivers were FLYING down the road and it looked much more dangerous than the trail.

We just climbed from Astorga to Foncebadón yesterday and trail conditions were awful from Rabanal to Foncebadón. Besides the heavy snow falling - once you get 2 km outside Rabanal the trail becomes a full on stream and is completely flooded in huge puddles and ankle deep mud. No way not to get your feet completely soaked over and over again. Just go very slow, use your poles and enjoy the blooming pink and yellow flowers along the trail!!!! Even in the 0 degree C temperatures our wet feet were bearable as long as we kept moving. We didn’t take the road because the drivers were FLYING down the road and it looked much more dangerous than the trail.
Thank you for sharing. We hiked down from O Cebreiro today to Triacastella. We walked to warmth and sunshine, and the scenery on the way down was magnificent! Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Totally agree, we hiked in the heavy rain and heavy fog and loved every moment. It's all part of the camino experience. It was so foggy we weren't sure where the top was until we walked along side a rock wall and past the church entering the village!! All pilgrims were gathered in the bars warming and drying themselves before proceeding that day!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My feelings exactly.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back