• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

His Camino fails to live up to expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
A good reason why one should walk with no expectations or preconceived ideas of what the Camino will be like for you. A priest on the Camino once said, "The Camino will be for you how you walk it".

"I am disappointed. This journey has failed to meet my expectations in so many ways, that finally I’ve had to own up to it.
Unfortunately El Camino de Santiago is a prepackaged tour masquerading as something else. Herds of so called peregrinos are shuffled in mass along a single, narrowly defined route from ‘pilgrim bar’ to albergues de peregrino to tiendas selling cheap Chinese made Camino souvenirs. It is literally one tourist trap to another. Very little is real, authentic or genuine in its intent. And the only difference between me and the bus riding tourists is our mode of transportation. I walk. They ride."

Continued.....

http://boulderbackpacker.com/2012/05/30 ... -disguise/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wow. such bitterness. It doesn't ressemble my Camino at all. When I read posts like that or the one of Mr Tapon, it always maked me wonder how much research they did about the camino. I met one guy on the way up to O'Cebreiro who said he hated every minute of it (he had started in St-Jean!); I almost said to him "why are you still here then? Is anyone forcing you to walk? Take a bus and go elsewhere..."

These are the ultimate tourists. They fit the profile perfectly.
1) complain about the food
2) complain about the opening/closing hours of bars, stores, attractions, and compare it to how much better things work at home
3) complain about the service
4) complain about the road surfaces, paving, lack of paving
5) compare the landscape to Kansas (or some other familiar place that is unsuitable)
6) Brag about their great equipment
7) Brag about their mileage and hiking technique
8 ) Brag about their superior hiking experience and background
9) Become particularly shrill and whiny when "my expectations are not met"
and finally, Number One Profile Element:

10) Complain about the "HOARDS of TOURISTS" who are "not behaving like real Pilgrims," and who are clogging up "MY" camino!

These people need to get their bad attitude on a bus to the beach, where tourists are better catered-to.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What's that old camino classic saying????

A tourist demands, a pilgrim thanks.

I guess you can choose to spend a lot of time and energy demanding authenticity.

Rebekah Scott said:
2) complain about the opening/closing hours of bars, stores, attractions, and compare it to how much better things work at home
5) compare the landscape to Kansas (or some other familiar place that is unsuitable)
8) Brag about their superior hiking experience and background

10) Complain about the "HOARDS of TOURISTS" who are "not behaving like real Pilgrims," and who are clogging up "MY" camino!

These people need to get their bad attitude on a bus to the beach, where tourists are better catered-to.

I wish there was a way to "like" this post. So true...

At least they are being honest about their take on an authentic pilgrimage, on real pilgrims and their expectations of what the Camino would/should provide for them.
I can only presume that they have never been on a pilgrimage to Rome, Jerusalem, Lourdes or other top 'tourist' attractions like Lumbini or Mecca.

Expectations are a funny thing. This journey has not met mine…in so many ways. It is my burden, and this morning I let it go. I watched as a busload of Japanese tourists (who were dropped off to hike the last kilometer up to the Iron Cross) crowd out the true pilgrims. One raised her arms in triumph while some tired hikers stood aside and watched in disbelief. I decided to tie my small Camino necklace I have been wearing to my rock and set it down on the pile. I was disgusted. My Camino, whatever that is supposed to mean, is over. I am now on a simple hike to Santiago Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Complaining that a museum is closed on a Monday is just silly. I'd say 90% of museums worldwide are closed on Mondays. That's not a Spanish thing, it's nearly universal.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is good to get the entire range on this forum.

That said, now where is the "like" button for Rebekah's post!

Rebekah Scott said:

Well said Rebekah! I also want to press the like button.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
They should have read Michener before they left home:

"“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” James A. Michener

Don't know about 'her' - the blog author appears to be male, and his partner gets her photo featured in many of the published blogs.

That said, a big like for Rebekah otherwise.

Re: Their Camino fails to live up to expectations

Ooops! My mistake.
I've changed the orignal post from 'Her' to 'Their'
That explains everything then! :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

My, my ...

Another gem from the blog:

"It was a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. We started the day in Peregrino Purgatory. (I would have called it hiking hell, but apparently there is no way to get out of hell once you enter it.) Hundreds of pilgrims pouring out of Carrion de los Condes. I was miserable and it was still early in the day. I have lost my interest and patience with the herding masses of people racing out of town to fight for the next table at a cafe and bed in an albergue. It is no longer novel or entertaining. Bad behavior. Lack of consideration, and a general sense of selfishness. This to me does not represent the spirit and intent of a pilgrimage on El Camino. Aren’t most of these people hiking for religious or spiritual reasons? Isn’t kindness and the concern for others, above oneself, fundamental to the teachings of all major religions?
I blew my stack when patiently waiting my turn to order food and drink in a bar. Pilgrims jumping the queue and fighting for the attention of the bartender, who was openly and blatantly ignoring me. My trigger is disrespect, and it was all around me.
In absolute disgust, I blew out of the place without my food and drink. It was the best decision all day. It allowed us the simple pleasure of gaining 30 minutes on the hiking hoard to walk in absolute peace and quiet for the rest of the trail. I have decided to be thankful for the rude bartender, as it was her behavior that finally enabled me to get away from the crowds. I forgive you, and I thank you. Please go in peace"

:shock:

Pilgrims jumping the queue and fighting for the attention of the bartender, who was openly and blatantly ignoring me.
It has been my observation, not necessarily universally true, that bartenders are very good at knowing who is next. They ignore those who vie for their attention, sometimes local patrons excepted, and do one customer at a time in the order they have arrived. When there are twenty new pilgrims, the bartender's memory may be a bit off, but I have carefully observed the queuing hundreds of times, and it is first come, first serve almost all the time.

The obviously self-absorbed blogger thinks that only he is being ignored. No doubt he thinks they are talking about him in the football (U.S.) huddle, too. Some folks should stay home; he may be one of them ...

Rebekah Scott wrote:These are the ultimate tourists. They fit the profile perfectly.

Attachments

• like.jpg
    like.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 6,540
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I've read through their blog and I wonder if they're not walking too fast. They are both covering sizeable stretches each day, and don't seem to be taking the time to look around them. Perhaps another route would have been better for them. As well, I found that meeting other people was one of the strengths of the Camino, and travelling as a couple, they may be missing out on chances to make these connexions.

Mind you, I learned a whole series of lessons in my first few days of my first Camino-- such as that Spaniards have a different sense of time, and that food and a place to stay will be there somehow, no matter what, and that breakfast really doesn't happen in Spain. Realizing these facts took much of the stress out of the Camino. It may be that nobody pointed these things out to them.

I see that I need to add a "Like" button to the forum :)

...so many things, so little time.. :)

Greetings from a sunny and 34c Santiago!
Ivar

I would be happy to be anywhere on the Camino right now!!!

I have a fear of the Camino not being all I have come to dream it will be. Now I know that it won't be all beautiful vistas thanks to reading the thread on how to potty properly and seeing the collective results of so many arses! Strangely, it was the pictures of the graffitti and the dung that allayed my fears. Life will still be life on the Camino and for those who are bent on their misery not even St. James himself can get them to part with their excess baggage until they realize for themselves that what weighs them down in the world exists within.

I am coming to understand that preparation for the Camino is more than accumulating the right gear, physical training and making proper travel arrangements. At least for one who hopes to make a pilgrimage versus see Spain for cheap. Myself, I will be checking my expectations at my door and when I leave, it will be free to embrace the good, the bad and the ugly...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I see that I need to add a "Like" button to the forum
Please don't!!!!! This is one of the last refuges from Facebook! "Like" is passionless; pap for the teen who has not learned to Love and Hate, or even complete a sentence without putting the qualifying "like" somewhere in it so he makes no commitment to the sentence's content. It would take a nuanced Scale-of-One-to-Ten to give everyone a gradient from which to choose. "Like" gives you the choice between saying nothing and a "5." It is beige; oatmeal without a topping; tepid water; non-alcoholic beer; decaf coffee. Please, please, please save us from Zuckerberg!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would also like a (love/hate) like and a Thanks button. Just back from 2nd camino, Frances and Norte. I enjoyed! every moment, all the rain and mud and scenery and other caminoists too. I love the regular posters, sillydoll, anna et al. I know a friend who wouldn't walk the Camino because of it's lack of physical challenge (hehe) no realmountains, real wilderness, real dANGER OR EXCITEMENT! Bring it on I say, walk this WAY...

OH OH wish I had waited and read falcons first.

Liking and enjoying this entire thread :wink:

I am curious myself, to find out what it will be like (haha, pun intended?) to walk the Camino Frances in June and July this year, having walked it twice in September-October. Last year I loved, loved the morning I got up early and left El Burgo Ranero to walk under the light of the full moon, and wonder of wonders had the entire Camino to myself for three hours straight. Magical. But having said that, it's never bothered me that much when there are lots of people walking at once. It was a bit of a crowd after Sarria in 2010's Holy Year, but it's been my experience that pilgrims are fairly respectful of keeping space on the trail... I slow down and follow a little further back, or speed up and pass, depending on how I feel. Or, it turns into walking at the same pace for a while and meeting a new friend!

Going without expectations of how it "should" be is so valuable, and I look forward to learning more about that this year!

Rachel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I just returned from a pilgrimage with my daughter and son-in-law. In spite of rain, mud, exhaustion, and albergue snoring...we loved our Camino experience. In addition to the bound that forms between people walking companions, we greatly enjoyed getting to know other pilgrims along the way. For us, it was the people along the way who made the Camino such a wonderful experience.

But...a pilgrimage isn't for everyone. Perhaps those who find the need to 'blog' about their negative Camino experiences will find other paths for personal fulfillment.

what is the point of this post ? to self righteously diss strangers writing a blog ?

if one doesn't like other peoples blogs don't read them, simple as that

if one had taken the time to read before dissing, one would have known that this is one bad day out of a series, of which most were good and some even great...

So. If there is to be a like button on this forum, can I please have a "dislike this entire thread" button too please ?!

Well, "like" or "dislike" buttons aside (I was being playful, I could take or leave them if they actually were an option on here), and taking into account that I didn't visit the blog in question before my earlier post, for me it is interesting to talk about what people's expectations are before setting out on a journey like the Camino. The first year I walked I was hard on myself because of some of what I'd made up about how it would be, or should be. Those expectations got called into check 5 days in because the reality of what I experienced was different than what I'd imagined. And thank goodness! I learned a lot about me and the way I can make assumptions, and how my mood and experience change according to (for example) how well rested and fed I am, and what sorts of things I'm thinking about and focusing on.

I appreciate the dialogue, and when I did take a peek at the blog post mentioned, it looks like the author is taking comments from others in stride. Really, it's nobody else's business but that of the author and his wife, except they've blogged in public. Each of us walks our own Camino and has ups and downs (inside, and in terms of the trail landscape).

It's a reminder to me to be self-aware, understanding, and curious... and to remember that every voice is valid to be heard.

Rachel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hi everyone, this is the Boulder Backpcker. I just found out I have a bunch of new fans :) I have 3 requests please, particularly for those of you who disagree with me and my personal experience.

Please:
1) http://www.boulderbackpacker.com is written by me (a male), and not my wife. The blog is my words and experience, not hers. Whoever started this thread, please change it to "he..."
2) Anyone who feels compelled to comment, please do so. I welcome different opinions. BUT, please take the time to read the whole blog from Day 1 on. Because that's how my experience evolved. It very well may change your view of me. Maybe, or maybe not. But at least you will get the whole story, and not just a juicy sound bite.
3) Please make your comments on my blog, not here. I was not even aware this discussion was going on about me and my experience on the Camino.

Thanks for commenting. Happy trails.

Day One post.
Up and packed, watching (with a bit of jealousy) from our stoop all the other pilgrims leave the village via a tight cobblestoned lane hemmed in with small specialty shops. A sea of generally novice, over-geared, over-packed, heavily clothed ‘peregrinos’ trying to sort out their many encumbrances.
Self-description of blogger.
Wanderer. Life Seeker. Outdoor Enthusiast.
Ultralight backpacker, trail runner, mountain biker & thru-hiker.
I believe in the wonder of the outdoors.
It inspires me. It moves me. Literally.
I believe in simplicity.
Less is more.
You can already detect the source of his discontent. He is over-qualified for the Camino, and will have to share it with the "generally novice" pilgrims. I read the whole thing, and it gets worse. I think most of the Forum posts make valid comments, Pieces. I am surprised that you view the blog so positively, though I agree 100% that no one has to read it, and he is not posting in the Forum, so we are proactively seeking to criticize. Perhaps that is wrong.

Re: Re: Their Camino fails to live up to expectations

falcon269 said:
I see that I need to add a "Like" button to the forum
Please don't!!!!! This is one of the last refuges from Facebook! "Like" is passionless; pap for the teen who has not learned to Love and Hate, or even complete a sentence without putting the qualifying "like" somewhere in it so he makes no commitment to the sentence's content. It would take a nuanced Scale-of-One-to-Ten to give everyone a gradient from which to choose. "Like" gives you the choice between saying nothing and a "5." It is beige; oatmeal without a topping; tepid water; non-alcoholic beer; decaf coffee. Please, please, please save us from Zuckerberg!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well said Falcon... Wish there was a "Like" button for me to press.

:p;-)

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

BoulderBackpacker said:
Hi everyone, this is the Boulder Backpcker. I just found out I have a bunch of new fans :) I have 3 requests please, particularly for those of you who disagree with me and my personal experience.

Please:
1) http://www.boulderbackpacker.com is written by me (a male), and not my wife. The blog is my words and experience, not hers. Whoever started this thread, please change it to "he..."
2) Anyone who feels compelled to comment, please do so. I welcome different opinions. BUT, please take the time to read the whole blog from Day 1 on. Because that's how my experience evolved. It very well may change your view of me. Maybe, or maybe not. But at least you will get the whole story, and not just a juicy sound bite.
3) Please make your comments on my blog, not here. I was not even aware this discussion was going on about me and my experience on the Camino.

Thanks for commenting. Happy trails.

Sent you a private message on here, so you know to look for it!

I did read Scott and his wife's blogs. The thing that was impressed upon me was Scott's nature and personality. He is a strong, impatient (by his own reconing) and highly motivated person. He seems to be quite knowledgeable and clear about what he likes and dislikes. He has pointed out many things about his Camino that he has liked and enjoyed. However, I too really wonder why he selected this experience. The entire nature of the Camino seems (from my understanding) to be contrary to Scott's personality.

One of the things that has been impressed upon me through my research of the Camino is the wonderful opportunity for fellowship with other pilgrims that is available and ever present. A product of the Camino that I look forward to. The opportunity to make new friends from all over the world and gain the bond of our time together from this journey is one I truly look forward to. Unfortunately, in all of Scott's blog posts he never mentions interacting on a personal level with the pilgrims around him. Something that I have found in the many pilgrim blogs that I have read.

I guess the thing that prods through my mind is quite simple. That regardless of who we are, what we do or where we come from; the moment we set foot on the road to Santiago we are setting foot on a christian pilgrimage. And regardless of what our faith and belief may or may not be we are by the very nature of our act putting ourselves in a position to be effected, moved, touched or changed in some way whether that is our intention or not; whether we are willing or not; whether we want to be or not. And there is surely no way we can know what that will mean for any one of us until after it has happened. In short God will do with us as he sees fit.

Buen Camino

falcon269 said:
Day One post.
Up and packed, watching (with a bit of jealousy) from our stoop all the other pilgrims leave the village via a tight cobblestoned lane hemmed in with small specialty shops. A sea of generally novice, over-geared, over-packed, heavily clothed ‘peregrinos’ trying to sort out their many encumbrances.
Self-description of blogger.
Wanderer. Life Seeker. Outdoor Enthusiast.
Ultralight backpacker, trail runner, mountain biker & thru-hiker.
I believe in the wonder of the outdoors.
It inspires me. It moves me. Literally.
I believe in simplicity.
Less is more.
You can already detect the source of his discontent. He is over-qualified for the Camino, and will have to share it with the "generally novice" pilgrims. I read the whole thing, and it gets worse. I think most of the Forum posts make valid comments, Pieces. I am surprised that you view the blog so positively, though I agree 100% that no one has to read it, and he is not posting in the Forum, so we are proactively seeking to criticize. Perhaps that is wrong.

I don't view hime either or. This is his experience and I am not judging, we all have different ones, good and bad, and we all have different days, good and bad...

what I am a bit judgemental about, i must admit, is people posting abstracts on other forums (taken out of the context) and other people slagging off a blogger whos posts they didn't even bother to read, so on that account you are right...

I find it distastefull

If you don't like it move on, simple as that...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Over time, I find that I can detect when a specific thread is about to turn a corner...sometimes to the positive, while the other...not so much.

We have heard from many veteran posters...each with a unique view (well unique to them) and a few newer to the Forum who may just be in the initial stages of finding their Forum voice. And, while the veterans have sorted out the many, and varied, personalities and proclivities of their fellow peregrinos, let's not shoo away, or discourage, newer Forum members whom may yet to appreciate our wry wit and, yes, sometimes less than charitable ruminations.

We have also grown to appreciate that "less can indeed be better".

Buen "uniquely yours" Camino,

Arn

Freedom of speech is a tricky thing. We Americans rather like the privilege to bash whoever or whatever we like with our words without running the risk of excommunication or charges of treason being brought against us. Being free to speak what is on one's mind is essential to the freeflow exchange of ideas from whence all true knowledge comes. And the thing about the internet is that when you put something out in virtual public, anyone can come along and discuss it, quote it, poke fun at it...And last time I checked we are on a FORUM.

What would be interesting is to take the discussion to what attitudes can ruin or make a Camino because that is helpful to novices like myself who are only hoping they will have more gratitude for ANY experience on the Camino...And if the guy who wrote the blog doesn't like that his comments have generated comments, positive or negative, elsewhere other than his blog, well then, he shouldn't have written a blog online because that's the risk anyone runs.

So what attitudes did you veterans have to struggle with to make the most of your Camino experience?

LizLane,

My attitude about my first Camino was that I’d done so many arduous hikes in my life the Way would just produce another t-shirt. My how I was wrong! There comes a point along the Way when the Camino takes over and you may experience one or more Camino moments!

It will be interesting to read “his” blog entry following their entry into SDC and the Pilgrim’s Mass at the Cathedral. Better yet, two weeks or more after their completion.

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

AGREE :lol: :lol: SOME people have too much time on their hands :roll: :arrow:

I’ve been thinking about this since I first posted sometime yesterday afternoon. I recently returned from six weeks on the Camino and now have several Caminos under my belt.

A few thoughts:
I am continually surprised how well the Camino works. Creating a shared experience of people with different ages, nationalities, and beliefs is no easy task. I am pleasantly surprised how kind, open and willing people are to help and support one another.

I am continually surprised by the kindness and generosity of bar owners, hospitaleros and citizens of all the towns I have walked through. More than once I have had people shout at me "Hey Peregrino" to let me know I walked past a yellow arrow and am headed in the wrong direction. I have never been refused a 'buenos dias" and have always gotten directions when I have asked. I marvel at the fact that most people seem genuinely happy that we are there. If I lived in a Camino town, I would find it difficult to be consistently attentive to 100s of people knowing I will never see them again. All of these people make my journey possible and I say a prayer for them at the Cathedral.

Hostels work. With a very few exceptions, everyone pitches in and makes sure that things are kept in orders. Are there irritations? Of course, but in general people respect one another and the facilities.

My friends and family would not label me as a Pollyanna…in fact, I can be quite critical of many, many things. When I look back on my Caminos, I laugh at my irritations, savor the memories of the people I met along the way and am grateful for all the support from the many people that made it possible.

I have now been home for two weeks and already starting to think about my next Camino….
Jeff

Re: Her Camino fails to live up to expectations

I've been thinking about how best to say what I feel about this topic. I've read the chap's blog and I've also used the search function in this very forum to remind myself about comments made by new and experienced users alike. But I will only personalise this by saying:

I've complained about the food - in particular the way everything is fried, there are never any vegetables and lomo and fried eggs are on every menu

I've complained about the opening/closing hours - particularly on less used routes where it can be impossible to get anything to eat until 9 - 9.30 in the evening

I've complained (loudly) about the amount of road walking on some routes - particularly the camino portuguese

I've complained about the service AND the over commercialisation of some routes particularly the camino frances

I've complained about the huge crowds on the camino frances...so much so I prefer to walk that route in the dead of winter

I've complained about the litter, pilgrims playing music loudly as they walk along, groups who stick together and never communicate with others, cyclists who don't have a bell and people who don't even try to speak Spanish and shout louder and louder in the hope they will be understood

I've complained that I can't cope with selfishness and rudeness particularly when other pilgrims:

Take more than their fair share at communal meals
Drink red wine and snore all night
Go to bed after me when I have just fallen asleep
Get up for the toilet and shine torches
Get up before me

So that's my confession...

BUT

This litany of petty irritants all added together are as nothing compared to the rewards of making a pilgrimage - the fun to be had, the friendships formed, the thinking and the not thinking and of course that feeling of complete freedom and bliss in the coolness of dawn as the sun come over the horizon, and then that first beer on arrival as the sweat still dries on your back. Then into Santiago with a mixture of emotions - elation to have arrived, gratitude for the experience and also some regrets it is all over.

I suspect the issue here is that the Camino Frances is not for everyone between May - October and that's why increasingly Confraternities and Amigos organisations are asking pilgrims to think about which route they want to walk and when.

Pax

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I second everything John says above.
I look back at my diaries and see quite a lot of anger and frustration - in particular with fellow travellers. But some good and mysterious chemical reaction has always occurred before the end. So as Arn says let's see what the blog says around Santiago time.

I couldn't handle peak season. The camino can bring so much good out of us - but it can also turn round on you and bring out the worst and crowding in my view can really trigger this.

Reb - I'm slightly scared by the detail of your list!

View:
-walk in the season the best matches your temperament (if you can)
-keep doing that hardest of things, not judging others

Too many people only do things that they know they will enjoy. If you do this you will never learn new things and expand your horizons.

I am sure the Blogger, as he was researching the Camino, had his doubts about doing it. Despite that he did it anyway. At the very least he will learn what he doesn't like. At best he will discover something new and wonderful.

I applaud the Blogger for at least trying and learning, or confirming, something about himself.

Rebekah,
Please don't send them to my beach! They aren't going to be any happier at the beach than they are on the Camino.
It will be:

Too hot or too cold
The waves won't be big enough or they will be too big
The sand will get in their shoes.
The won't put on sunscreen so they will get a raging sunburn bu it won't be their fault
The hotel rooms will be too expensive, not fancy enough or won't have a big enough pool
The restaurants will be over rated
They go at he height of the season and so the beaches are too crowded.
Etc. etc. etc.
Some people love to complain and find fault where ever they go.

ivar said:
I see that I need to add a "Like" button to the forum :)

...so many things, so little time.. :)

Greetings from a sunny and 34c Santiago!
Ivar

THAT would be awesome. Being able to thank/like/rep a post would be extremely helpful. Also, most forum scripts by default have a "view latest posts" link but this doesn't seem to have one. That would make life a lot easier for those who check multiple categories and might get some of the less-busy categories some more visitors. Finally, I know the site is growing but it'd probably grow faster if you implemented some basic SEO (i.e. search friendly URLs, tag clouds, etc.). There are just a few tweaks/plugins you could implement that would make the forum more user friendly as well as search engine friendly. Or, since it's successful as-is, you could just go with what you've got. ;)

Hi All, It's Karyn in Atlanta and I'm starting off 20 June. I read this thread earlier today and got all freaked out by the negativity of the original posters and was really afraid that uber crowding was going to ruin my trip. I thought by starting off before July, I'd be ok, but I guess not. Then I pm'd Sillydoll for reassurance and read the rest of what you vets have said and am feeling ok again. I'm going with the theme off letting things unfold and trying to just roll with it. (which i am not so great at). Patience, tolerance, gratitude...isn't that what we're all working on?

I'm coming out of retirement to say:

If we have come to the point where we can "press a "Like" button" instead of engaging in a conversation, I am no longer interested in the forum.

lynne

lynnejohn said:
I'm coming out of retirement to say:

If we have come to the point where we can "press a "Like" button" instead of engaging in a conversation, I am no longer interested in the forum.

lynne

And I'd prefer to just push "thanks" when someone contributes something that is helpful vs having to post "thanks" after "thanks" after "thanks" on thread after thread. Weeding through threads where the same post has been fully quoted multiple times for the sole reason of people wanting to say "like" or "thanks" doesn't add to the conversation IMO, it just adds clutter as you have to keep scrolling past duplicate content to find what is actually new thought vs. a one-word agreement.

Think of having a conversation with a group of people. If someone says something you agree with do you jump into the middle of the conversation with an "I agree!" every time someone says something you like or do you smile and nod so the person knows you appreciate what they said and let the conversation go on uninterrupted? To me, a "like" or similar button is the conversational equivalent of a smile and nod.

ETA: I will admit that I come from a different perspective than most people on this topic. Most of the forums I participate on are business-related and you're actively encouraged to use the "thanks" button rather than posting "I agree" or similar to keep the forum clean and the conversation flowing. In fact, on most forums I use, you can be banned for posting "I agree" type posts rather than using the button as people are very focused and don't want to waste time on weeding through the fluff to get to the meat of the conversation. Perhaps a "thanks" button is not appropriate for a forum like this. I just know that I feel bad because I'd like to thank some individuals for some of their posts but there's really no way to do that without making an additional post or sending a PM and the first option annoys me and the 2nd is overkill. I will say also that having all the "thanks" attached to the specific posts can help in finding the really helpful posts in a long thread and having the thanks count showing under the user name helps to identify the posters that really contribute great information that people find useful so it helps know who to really listen to. But again, that's 10+ years of forum etiquette training speaking. :)

Applause Vagabondette! Thank you thank you!
I honestly feel if BoulderBackPacker had precursored his blog with those three little (but huge) letters a lot of unnecessary negativity would have stayed out of our universe/forum today! Like Karyn I had a "freaky" moment this morning when I read "Unfortunately El Camino de Santiago is a prepackaged tour masquerading as something else." Replace "Unfortunately" with "IMO" ..big difference! :D

While I do agree that liberal usage of the phrase IMO is good in online conversations as they're easily misunderstood, I believe that when you're reading someone's *personal blog*, the IMO is implied. Everything the person writes is their personal opinion about what's happening to them. Stating it would, IMO, be a bit redundant.

I think what it really comes down to is the guy picked the wrong trip (which he admitted) and he's too stubborn to change (which he also admitted) so he's going to suffer until it's over (which he admitted was dumb). That's his choice just as it's his choice to blog about his suffering rather than being the suffer in silence type.

Personally, I don't do miserable. If what I'm doing isn't making me happy, I change it. I learned long ago that life is too short to spend day after day in self-imposed unhappiness. I already have a semi-contingency plan should I get on the camino and decide I don't like it. Whether that plan means canceling the whole camino and heading to italy or taking a cab to the next town to avoid an all-day torrential downpour, I'll use my escape hatch on an as-needed basis at my own discretion. What I won't do is continue doing something that is killing my joy and then bitch about it to everyone. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ivar I must side with the Luddites on this one. Adding a "like" button gives the opportunity to take part without interacting or bringing anything remotely useful to the conversation which, to me at least, seems incongruent to the culture of the forum. The "I like boots vs shoe" colorful topic would be three post. Which is better boots or shoes? Boots 85 like. Shoes 85 like. Takes all the fun out of it.

Leave the like button to the teens. Just my opinion.

Wow. I can't believe that a comment made know passing about liking a post would provoke so much discussion... I never meant to ask for a like button, it was just a figure or speech.

Envoyé depuis mon HTC Panache avec Tapatalk

Thank you Lynne for coming out of retirement!

This is the only forum in which I participate and I may be old-fashioned but I like it just the way it is - a platform for lively, thoughtful and in most cases positive discussion.

Cheers,
LT
p.s. from a Facebook user

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I tried to change the title of this thread to His instead of Her but it only changed my original posting - not all the subsequent headings. My apologies for that.

I stick by my original opening comment 100%:

"A good reason why one should walk with no expectations or preconceived ideas of what the Camino will be like for you. A priest on the Camino once said, "The Camino will be for you how you walk it".

The blogger has an open blog, not restricted to his own inner circle, and is therefore inviting comment from anyone who reads it.

When you voice your opinions on 'so called peregrinos' 'typically bad Spanish food' 'Spain is one worst countries in the Financial Crisis, including economic, legal, and behavioral' 'Burgos cathedral .. disgusted me' 'Very little [of the Camino]is real, authentic or genuine in its intent' etc etc etc... you leave yourself open for debate, outrage, difference of opinion, agreement, sympathy ... whatever.

On Facebook, one poster made me smile by being mostly outraged by him proudly comparing the weight of his (lighter) backpack with his wife's heavier pack. (She said something to the effect that she carried his children for 9 months and he couldn't offer to carry a few things for her for one month!)

Michener said it best:
“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.”

You know those shiny stones you can buy in shops? Guess how they get that way and how they look before they become so shiny?

They all look rough with sharp edges. But they are put together with lots of other stones that may be different shapes and colours but also rough with sharp edges. They are put together into a device that contains an abrasive and water.

Then they are churned together for a period of time.

Afterwards when they are released from the device they come out transformed!

I think this is how the camino can be for many of us.

Of course the hardest stones of all are unchanged by their experience.....

CarolineMathieson said:
You know those shiny stones you can buy in shops? Guess how they get that way and how they look before they become so shiny?

They all look rough with sharp edges. But they are put together with lots of other stones that may be different shapes and colours but also rough with sharp edges. They are put together into a device that contains an abrasive and water.

Then they are churned together for a period of time.

Afterwards when they are released from the device they come out transformed!

I think this is how the camino can be for many of us.

Of course the hardest stones of all are unchanged by their experience.....

Is that why some of can get away with one Camino & others need to go back several times to get hardened-off :wink:

Welcome Caroline or is us you should be welcoming, I'm not sure........ we'd loved to hear of your experiences here, thank you in advance.

David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a camino blog though, as a confirmed diarist/keeper of journals (mostly garden), I'm not a true blogger per se. So on the CF I scribbled notes in a little book/odds and ends of paper and, at the request of a niece who can't read my execrable writing and a cousin living abroad who had expressed an interest in the CF, I then transcribed my scribbles online over the weeks/months after I got home
I wonder if that process impacts the resulting timbre/tone of an account or indeed the fabric of the memories themselves? As a red head who often fires my mouth off without loading my brain :oops: perhaps the act of writing by hand is a tiny bit more retrospective in its nature and that, for me, the ponderous act of writing cultivates some reflection and analysis at the cost of 24/7 immediacy and coal face reportage?
Running with the hare and hunting with the hounds I also enjoy the immediacy of on line communication and shamelessly follow all those brave and tireless bloggers who carry devices, chargers etc and spend valuable time in the evenings locating internet cafes or wifi hotspots to blog live from the road. And can see that the 'slow cook' method could be accused as 'editing life'-but being irish I'm genetically programmed to 'chew the cud of memory'!
The Camino is a diamond and this chaps take is just one facet. I regret that by reacting the way I did to his post (a knee jerk online reaction on my part) I may have helped to 'paint him into a corner' on his initial negative opinions and hope that this does not skew his overall evaluation of his journey when and after he arrives at SDC.

Concerning the "Like" button I attached to my post yesterday. I think it's perfect...

You can tap it all you want and it does: Nothing!

No interaction...no conversation...no, well...Nothing!

Buen "the next shoe, er...boot" Camino

Arn

Like Catherine a few posts back I was thinking of how the stones on a beach are rounded by being rolled together for thousands of years and that something similar happens to us in life and on the Camino where we are rubbing along together in close living quarters.

Maybe modern life with lots of personal space makes people selfish and self absorbed.. I have read this man's blog and responded to it there as he has requested.

Maybe along the way he will be changed by the Camino as so many of us have been.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, this is the BoulderBackpacker again.

I have made a mistake. My blog was intended to serve as a personal journal and outlet for me to express my thoughts and opinions, and to keep my family and friends informed. (Up until 2 days ago no one else was reading it.)

My blog was not intended to be broadcast publicly, or excerpted, without my consent, which has been done by others in this forum, including the original thread post.

The blog was set to 'public'. I accept responsibility for this. I now intend to correct it. The blog will be converted to a Private Subscription only, as soon as I can find real Internet access. I am trying to hike the Camino after all :)

If you would like to have a subscription, I will be happy to
oblige. But please keep your comments and opinions on my blog. Thank you.

I would appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Happy trails

Hmmm. Persons with a database of experience on the Camino are to be restricted. Hmmm.

An ignorant audience is always more pliable, I suppose.

another satisfied customer!

If I was negative, I own up to it. I read the blogger´s negative blog, and responded in kind.
Negativity is part of life, the Camino, and this website. If you want all sunshine and roses, you can check out the nearest tourist information kiosk.

All that said, I often am at my worst, most negative, and crabby just before I make some fabulous breakthrough into What´s Really Going On. Just keep on walking, and the sun comes out again!

So there is hope for our camino-walking friend, and hope for cranky old me -- and my fellow crabs who hit their virtual "like" buttons.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have read through the Blog a few times and personally, I think that he was doing a "hike" and not a pilgrimage. He is obviously an almost "professional walker" you just have to check out his technical clothes, his scorn regarding floods of Pilgrims, wrestling with their, presumably, inappropriate equipment and the urge to complete as many kms per day as possible and boasting about his super lightweight pack,compared to that of his wife's! (perhaps he could have shared part of her load,as a gentlemanly gesture)! It was another feather to put in his cap upon completion. Pity!
Anne

It seems to me a very useful thing to see that the Camino is not for everyone. This particular thread also gives real pause for thought on what a pilgrim is.

Andy

I just finished my Camino. Got to Santiago on May 25. Am now on the French Basque coast and meeting pilgrims doing the El Norte trail. Will walk a bit of it myself before going home to California next week. I had an amazing Camino on the Frances trail.

Did it meet my expectations? No. It surpassed them. I learned so much about me on this journey that it will take time to digest.

As to this blogger, I read his whole blog. I think his Camino is going perfect. His honesty is lovely. He started with an open heart, he holds nothing back. That is admirable. It is his experience - that is fair.

Remember, the Camino does not give you what you want, it gives you what you need. This is between him, his experience, his life. The only Camino anyone can judge is their own.

I'd like to write more about authenticity since I experienced so much of it. But not the right thread. Will find a different one.

I will say this. After walking the extra kms out to San Millan on foot. I was disappointed to see I'd walked all day off trail to a place full of tourist busses. But. My room overlooked the square. That was beautiful and worth the walk. I bought a bottle of monestary wine, skipped the tour. Wandered everywhere. Found a place upstairs alone in some room that had a billiards table. Drank the wine and shot pool. Alone. Upstairs in a monetary. With a bottle of wine shooting pool. So me.

That is when I realized. There is no magic on the Camino that changes who you are. Rather, it allows you to face who you are. And then, from there....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My purpose in posting his blog URL was to warn new pilgrims that one shouldn't have too many expectations or preconceived ideas about the Camino and what it should be like.
This blogger has been brutally honest about the fact that the Camino hasn't lived up to his expectations. It would be really useful to know what those expectations were so that others can learn to walk with a blank slate, no expectations beyond those that you can make happen yourself.
Maybe its time to let him be!

You did more value than you might have intended. Was interesting to read and think about since almost at same time as my walk. He was so lucky to miss the bad weather at SJPdP just before him.

I have respect for his honesty. Do not care to judge. Happy I was able to read his experiences. Made me think.

annakappa said:
I think that he was doing a "hike" and not a pilgrimage. He is obviously an almost "professional walker" you just have to check out his technical clothes, his scorn regarding floods of Pilgrims, wrestling with their, presumably, inappropriate equipment

+1 like for AnnaK

I have lived in Boulder, and while I love the place, it does seem to spawn a certain class of culturally bankrupt people with a narrow focus on outdoor activities.

The most ignorant group I ever encountered on the camino was a group of mountain bikers from Boulder. They had little knowledge or appreciation of the history and culture, and were disappointed the the biking was not a good as Moab, Utah. (another place I love, but for different reasons). They had little interest in pilgrims outside of their group, but had lots of questions about my titanium mountain bike. They had their gear shuttled and someone to take care of everything so they could just concentrate on the riding.

The Camino is a great experience on many levels, but just an mediocre hike. If the other levels are of little value to you, it is not the appropriate trip.

sillydoll said:
It would be really useful to know what those expectations were so that others can learn to walk with a blank slate, no expectations beyond those that you can make happen yourself.
Right! So
a) what where those expectations? and
b) if no clear cut answer, let him be :|

What Fraluchi says. We need to remember that he is still on the Camino and is in the middle of an intense experience. It can take some time for anyone to assimilate to themselves what the experience is, and to let it take hold on them. Thoughts written during are immediate perceptions. He may have something different to say in a year's time, or he may simply become more precise in his reflections on the experience. The experience might, perhaps, show him a different appreciation of further hikes. Note that most of his hikes (I, too, read the entire blog) were wilderness-heavy, and a hike with pilgrims in an historic setting is a very difficult animal. He may now want to try another one!

I've done five Caminos, and I'm still trying to figure it out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
sillydoll said:
This blogger has been brutally honest about the fact that the Camino hasn't lived up to his expectations. It would be really useful to know what those expectations were so that others can learn to walk with a blank slate, no expectations beyond those that you can make happen yourself.

This blogger has been brutally honest about.......
I'm not so sure :!: (maybe blogger has been brutally dishonest)
http://boulderbackpacker.com/2012/06/05 ... mino-club/
Personally I find him v. upsetting........

If he was honest he would have left!
It's not for me(him) move-on

This guy needs to get over it. I'm surprised he's made it to his age without developing a thicker skin. His latest post (linked above) about taking off his shell because some people are being mean to him is the equivalent of a child taking his toys and going home.

I just posted this comment to his most recent blog post.

Jeez. Sorry, but you're being a drama queen about all of this. Some people you don't even know say stuff about you and you act like it really matters. All that matters is what you and the people you love think. Why are you letting a bunch of strangers have such an impact on your life?

I still think it comes down to your expectations and just from your word usage I think your expectations are still off. You keep referring to the camino as a "hike". It's not a hike. It's a really long walk with a couple very short sections that could qualify as hikes. Expecting it to be a hike when really it's just a walk is setting yourself up for disappointment.

In the same vein, expecting people to act in a way other than human (meaning being rude, imperfect, impatient and all the other things you've mentioned) just because they happen to be walking on the same path that (for some) has a religious overtone is setting yourself up for disappointment. People are humans and they bring their humanity (the good and bad aspects of it) with them wherever they go. Expecting them to be extra-special-whatever just because they're walking the camino is just silly.

From what I've seen you've never really stated what your expectations were but I'll tell you what I expect from my upcoming camino:

I expect to walk @ 800 km. That's it. I don't expect anything of myself, my fellow pilgrims, the scenery, the difficulty or ease of the path, the food, the lodging or the experience. I only expect to put one foot in front of the other for 800 km. Now, do I *hope* that I experience some great things? Yes. But I don't expect that it'll happen and I realize that I will get back what I put out so if one day I'm in a great mood I'll likely have great experiences. Similarly, if I'm in a bad mood I'll likely have bad experiences. Then, I'll wake up the next morning and walk some more.

Instead of worrying so much about what other people are saying/thinking about you, why don't you just get up in the morning and walk.

Pilgrim bars, gaita music, cheap trinkets...hey, I love all that! Especially the tourist traps at the top of the Cebreiro. I love it when Chinese people can make a few bob.

I also love crossing the meseta alone in winter and paddling a canoe through outback Australia and living out here in the scrub.

And I love spending lots of time with the people of Northern Spain and France Profonde. I love French and Spanish and Occitan and Gallego and Portuguese. (Maybe not Basque.)

I just love lots of stuff. I even like earnest, intense, people, even the ones who are a touch puritanical. They can usually give good advice on matters such as how to lighten a pack. Then how to ultra-lighten a pack. All good.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It didn’t meet his expectation. That is his loss. My question is, are we making it better or worse? I sincerely hope that he and his wife find what they is looking for on whatever trail they walk. There is little doubt they will never walk the Camino again. I chose to let them walk on and wish them luck on their next adventure. Life is way too short, learn the lessons available and move on, but keep the friends and the memories. Peace, out. :)

Does anyone else consciously avoid stepping on the countless slugs along the way? Sidestep this guy, too?

I am going to lock this thread for a few days. Bashing a blogger because he does not have the same opinion as most pilgrims may be going a little far. The topic has much good in it but some posts have a nasty undertone. Please remember to not to let things get too personal.

William

He is done, and has stopped blogging as a result of this Forum. He urges us to walk the camino again.

I think he prefers wilderness backpacking to being a tourist in Europe, "part of a great multicultural moving mob", as I posted in this assessment:

"If you learn more about the entire modern network of pilgrimage trails, you’ll see they are a mix of attempts to be either accurate or authentic.

By accurate, I mean trails which follow the historical route. There may well be an autoroute over the historical path, and thus they are far more interesting from a historical perspective than an aesthetic viewpoint.

By authentic, I’m referring to trails which are intended to give the modern pilgrim a taste of more isolated and wild country. These routes are rarely historically accurate in location, but they give you an idea of the nature of the trail upon which the medieval pilgraim travelled. Those routes would be of more interest to the hiker than the historian.

There is an interesting discussion (in French) in a guidebook on the route from Geneva to LePuy. They opted for the hikers route when marking out that one, even though it misses many important pilgrimage towns. You might like that trail.

Finally, there is one element of the Frances in Spain where you might actually be getting the historically accurate experience—the crowds, and the vendors. At the peak, around 1200 AD, there were a million pilgrims a year on the trail. All sorts of hucksters came to sell things to them. What you are seeing in peak season on the Frances may not be what you wanted, but it is what the Camino was all about in the past, and as more and more pilgrims come, we have the opportunity to be part of a great multicultural moving mob, as it was originally."

One of the great things about the Camino is that it brings inexperienced walkers, anxious and sometimes plain scared, out of their daily lives into an entirely different experience. I see no reason to mock them, but he apparently he does. If you lock this thread, don't do it because we are the the mean and judgemental party:

HOW TO START YOUR CAMINO
•Gear up. Buy a big backpack (60 liters is average) and load it with all the stuff you think you’ll want for every contingency. Camino Experts say it should weigh no more than 15-20% of body weight or 8-10 kilograms. Uugh!
•Buy big, heavy mountaineering boots with thick rugged soles. Each boot should weigh at least 1 kilo. St. James wore them. You should too.
•Buy dense, verbose guide books and plan your route. Follow the guides religiously whenever possible, as they know what’s best for you and your Camino.
•Get anxious. The Camino is calling you – it called you on Skype because international calls are free. And experienced pilgrims tell you how magical, enlightening and transformative this journey was for them.
•Brand yourself. Buy a scallop shell, yellow arrow, trekking pole, gourd, or any other Camino trinket to identify yourself. The more ‘Flair’ (a random American movie reference) you have, the better pilgrim you will be.
•Document yourself. God loves paperwork, properly filed, and in triplicate. So, acquire your membership documents, the Camino Credencials. Then gets stamps at least once/day and twice/day the last 100k. This will prove you actually did your pilgrimage, because God will probably be taking his siesta and not watching when you are hiking.
•Secure your entrance pass to Heaven. Upon arrival in Santiago, present your properly stamped documents to get your Compostela. This is just like a FastPass at Disney World, it lets you bypass the long lines to get in. Sweet!

His best day on the Camino was when he walked almost to Fisterra in one day. He felt he was walking his camino. So he was not angry with us or the Camino; he was angry at his wife, who was holding him back! If she had not gone along, he could have done 40 miles a day. Even if it was not Colorado mountains, it would have been a challenge. Displaced anger is actually quite common on the Camino.

€149,-
Yeah, IMO walking the camino was never a good idea for him no matter who/what he met along the way. He did it for someone else - not for himself, it wasn't the type of geography he likes, it wasn't the pace he likes, and it wasn't the social situation he was used to/expecting out of a long-distance hike (which, IMO, the camino really isn't in the normal usage of the word). I think his camino was a recipe for disaster whether this thread had been started or not and I think this thread and the people posting in it just validated the already annoyed feelings he had and gave an easy outlet for his negative feelings.

Personally, I don't see what he got so fussed about. Who cares what a bunch of random strangers thinks about him and/or his blog? I mean jeez, I was ripped apart on live TV by a senior member of the US Senate and I was less upset than he was about a few people dissing his blog. :roll:

It can be terrifying to be surrounded by people who have done the same thing you have done. It means there was nothing special about you. "I am unique, just like everyone else." The special part to me is in sharing the common experience. If I jealously keep it to myself, it is diminished. Just don't write a book about it... :D :D :D

... as if posting here is any different.
I took off early this morning at 5:00am to make a solo hike out to Finisterre (the end of the earth). Spooky hiking in the pitch dark in the dense woods coming out of Santiago. My tiny single LED light finally gave out after a month…it was like trail walking using Braille.
Amazing day, hiking pretty much alone the entire day. 75 kilometers (or 46.6 miles for those back home)..I’m tired.
This was my hike.
It was stormy, raining sideways, wind blowing so strong I could barely stand upright, densely foggy and cold. There was no view. It was an absolutely beautiful day. It could not have been more perfect.
I stood alone, naked, at the end of the world, near Finisterre Spain, beyond the fire pits. I could go no further, as many who have come before me for tens of thousands of years. I was intensely happy.
This was my hike.

Don't understand why all the negative remarks here.

I agree with a lot of what he says.

1. Burgos cathedral is nice outside. Bad and gaudy inside.
2. The crowd.
3. People waking up at 4:30 am
4. The commercialisation on the Camino Frances.
5. The rush for bed by others (even though we don't do that, right?)
6. And more...

Come on. We all hated that too. Just that when we look at the whole experience it becomes a lesser issue.

What he carries and what his wife carries are personal and we shouldn't go there.

All it took was this one line that says 'camino fails to live up to expectations' and everyone jumps on that.

As much the fact that he is an avid hiker, he is doing only 20+ kms on most days when walking with the wife, except on the road to Finisterre when goes solo.

He is just being honest as he expects a pilgrimage, but instead has got a crowd. Unfortunately that is the reality of Camino Frances.

Rather than condemning him, we should highlight on other possible Caminos that are a lot less crowded or commercialised (via de la Plata, del Norte, etc).

I particularly liked his current entry.

This was my hike.

Several hours later I sat alone at a seaside restaurant in Finisterre Spain near the port. I cried. I cried. I cried deeply and openly in public for 45 minutes. I was so profoundly happy.

It had nothing to do with religion, spirituality, the so called ‘camino de Santiago’ or any other reason the online Camino de Santiago experts may have to criticize.

I know why I cried.

I have so many things to discuss. In fact, I have several blog posts queued up to reply to what I consider the Camino Club’s narrow-minded, self-righteous view of the world. They will go unpublished. I have only one final comment; go hike the ‘camino’ again, until you get what it is.

I am flawed. I am human. I am aware. I am happy. I know my place. I know my purpose. And, I am done.

Go in peace.

Happy trails

The tears and the joy. If that is not the signature of a pilgrim and a kindred spirit, I don't know what is.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
" I have only one final comment; go hike the ‘camino’ again, until you get what it is."

And again,and again and again, and surely, you will eventually see it my way (you narrow-minded club!)

--Here's to the club, all the varied versions of it! (even this guy).

A lovely quote Grandpa Jo.

The message for me after reading all of this is simply that "You get what you expect"
Or put another way "Whether you think you can or you can't either way, you're right!

Having said that I am SO SO SO glad I am not doing the Camino Frances this summer!

:wink: :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We have recently finished our Camino and I have been putting together a posting of our journey. We had a wonderful time (mostly) but there were times when we not too happy with our experiences. After seeing some of the disgraceful comments on this post I am thinking that it probably not worth posting on our Camino.

Ron

Disgraceful? Really? Internet forums, among other things, are forums of debate. There is nothing disgraceful about different points of view. He went to the Camino expecting something different than what it is, and this whole thread and his blog may well prevent other people from making the same mistake. The entire exercise can be summed up as follows: Caution: experienced backpackers seeking a wilderness experience may find the Frances in high season not to their taste

By all means, post on your trip. There are planty of accounts on how wonderful it is, and above we have a differering view. You report a mixed experience, so I think your account would be very useful to many people in deciding what they ought to do. There are not nearly enough accounts like that our there.

If all you want is praise and agreement, you won't find it. If you can take a few rough and tumble remarks, and be secure in the knowledge that sharing your experience is actually a very useful thing, post away!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
trumpy said:
After seeing some of the disgraceful comments on this post I am thinking that it probably not worth posting on our Camino.

What, exactly, is disgraceful about people expressing their opinions? There's nothing disgraceful about that guys blog nor about any of the comments in the thread (though some may be extreme). I say post your experience as long as you're not expecting that every response will be sunshine and roses and can deal with that face without needing to take your toys and go home.

Post it Ron, since you have already mentioned you have something to share.

That the Camino fails to live up to your expectations (or some of it), you know you have my support.
It's quite something else just because the 'comments' fails to live up to your expectations.

The stronger your opinions, expect the same for the some of the comments in kind.

I am genuinely interested in your thoughts and experience on the Camino.

Well, well. Touchy lot aren't we. Seems its alright to liken people to slugs or tell them to get off to a beach somewhere. I don't even agree with the blog but I feel that some of the comments here are uncalled for.

Ron

trumpy said:
Well, well. Touchy lot aren't we. Seems its alright to liken people to slugs or tell them to get off to a beach somewhere. I don't even agree with the blog but I feel that some of the comments here are uncalled for.

Ron

That's the nice thing about people, not everyone has to have the same opinion and if they don't, life goes on. Surely you don't always agree 100% with everything everyone in your life says?

I really feel that it would be helpful to know what his expectations were. (I have asked him but he hasn't responded.)
He said "I am disappointed. This journey has failed to meet my expectations in so many ways, that finally I’ve had to own up to it."

Perhaps, he was looking forward to a hard, challenging long-distance trail that would test his speed and endurance? He is a fast walker "wired up for kinetic energy". He frequetly expressed his disappointment at the slow pace, the frequent needs for rest, the short distances they walked. He wasn't walking 'his' Camino and he often showed his frustration.

"....so many ways..." implies that almost none of the expectations he had about walking the Camino were met. Perhaps he expected more from other pilgrims, better accommodation, better food: less commercialism, less competition for the Camino's resources?

Perhaps he doesn't realise that the majority of people who walk the Camino are not in his league of fitness or stamina. Most are 'ordinary' people doing something 'extraordinary'. Most pilgrims are challenged every day to continue walking, to get to the top of the mountain, to walk through their pain. When you serve these pilgrims in the albergues they are usually so grateful for a bed and a shower that they never complain. Some, when you offer a small kindness like a foot rub or a cooked meal, are pathetically grateful!

Scot was finally challenged on his walk to Fistera and he cried at the end of it. I've seen pilgrims cry almost every day on the Camino. They felt his emotion, joy, physical exhaustion almost every day. Imagine if he could have felt that too, every day and not just on the last day.

The lesson? Walk your own Camino. If you have agreed to walk with a partner who is not up to your physical ability, you'll have to accept from the outset that this is not going to be the Camino you expected to walk.

I agree, Sil. I'm starting a new thread because I hoped to learn what kind of expectations lead to failure and ones that lead to success. I'm also tired of giving this guy who would prefer to remain anonymous in his disdain anymore time on our forum. He only joined to whine about how dare we discuss his public blog when it was meant to be private.

So if anyone is tired of discussing boulderblogger's attitudes and wishes to discuss some of their own bad attitudes, please look for the new thread: "Did your Camino live up to your expectations? The good, the bad, the ugly?"

The Camino is not to do with "success" or "failure". Nor should it be about being unfair to those, like Boulder Blogger, spoke their honest feelings, including disappointment, on their personal blog. To diss him by saying that he "whined" etc is so judgemental as to be unkind. It's not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back