• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holed Up With a Nasty Cold

arfajajc

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The pharmacist in Puente La Reina was very helpful in stocking me up with cold meds.
I was in a private room (with a friend - please don't catch this from me Jeanne!) but couldn't get another night there so took a taxi to Estella where I'm spending 3 days in a private apartment. Hopefully I'll get better quickly. I plan to start again on Friday April 26 with just a short leg to Villamajor de Montjardin where I have another private room. I'm trying to isolate from other pilgrims until I'm better. Then another short leg the next day to Sansol. Once I'm fully recovered I'm hoping I can start stretching the distances to catch back up and get on schedule - I have to look at that and see where I am and what's possible. I'm just sharing because I'm a bit down and bored and feeling crook... Anyone had a similar experience?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@arfajajc , whilst travelling yes, but not on Camino.

I recall reading a couple of other similar stories in the last year. It's rough.
Whilst I like a little solitude, I much prefer it to be in nature, not between four walls.
Stuck at home as I currently am, I really get the boredom part!

Kia piki tō ora!

Kia Kaha 🇳🇿

@arfajajc , whilst travelling yes, but not on Camino.

I recall reading a couple of other similar stories in the last year. It's rough.
Whilst I like a little solitude, I much prefer it to be in nature, not between four walls.
Stuck at home as I currently am, I really get the boredom part!

Kia piki tō ora!

Kia Kaha 🇳🇿
Thanks mate! Even hearing back from people on the forum makes me feel less disconnected from the Camino. It's weird - I love solitude in the wilderness just like you mentioned, and also enjoy the warm company of fellow peregrinos, but being stuck in an apartment, sick, really sucks... Hopefully this'll clear up quickly. I hope whatever is keeping you inside is over quickly as well. It's not that temperamental south island weather is it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
God I wish! nah I'm in Germany near Berlin. Stuck here for one perhaps two more years then we'll see.

My complaint is a busted ankle - I went over hard on the Jakobsweg (Camino) during the Easter break so I'm laid up for a while. (Op, plate and pins). 2 weeks down, four more weeks before I'm allowed to put any weight on the foot, let alone start walking again.

I'm not sick just seriously flaming bored - can't walk very far on crutches! I did 750m recently from one doctor to the other took me 40 minutes! Completely drenched in sweat by the end of it too. Not planning on doing that again anytime soon.

I find myself spending far too much time here on the forum and watching YouTube videos when I probably should be doing an online course - or at least making my own videos.

What a shame for you. Wishing you a very speedy recovery, and an amazing rest of your Camino. Estella is beautiful and lots to look around if you are up to a gentle amble and to get some fresh air. It's nice to sit down by the river - maybe get yourself a kindle book on your phone or something to help.

I mean it might just be bad luck, but you might find that you'll look back on this as something the Camino felt needed to happen. It can be full of lessons that you don't realise at the time.

Buen Camino

So sorry to read you are laid up with a terrible cold. I got a cold last year one week into my camino but was able to continue walking albeit at a slow hourly pace. It was mild compared to walk you are currently going through. You made the right choice to take some rest days and so considerate of your fellow peregrinos. Hope you feel better soon. Getting some fresh air is great advice from @davejsy, especially if the sun is shining. Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
God I wish! nah I'm in Germany near Berlin. Stuck here for one perhaps two more years then we'll see.

My complaint is a busted ankle - I went over hard on the Jakobsweg (Camino) during the Easter break so I'm laid up for a while. (Op, plate and pins). 2 weeks down, four more weeks before I'm allowed to put any weight on the foot, let alone start walking again.

I'm not sick just seriously flaming bored - can't walk very far on crutches! I did 750m recently from one doctor to the other took me 40 minutes! Completely drenched in sweat by the end of it too. Not planning on doing that again anytime soon.

I find myself spending far too much time here on the forum and watching YouTube videos when I probably should be doing an online course - or at least making my own videos.
Oh no!!! That's bad news... You'll just have to try and be patient and let it heal ("Yes, mum" 😏). Give yourself a break - you're already putting up with a lot, so go on and binge-watch whatever you want! Hoping all goes well and you're back up and at it quickly!

So sorry to read you are laid up with a terrible cold. I got a cold last year one week into my camino but was able to continue walking albeit at a slow hourly pace. It was mild compared to walk you are currently going through. You made the right choice to take some rest days and so considerate of your fellow peregrinos. Hope you feel better soon. Getting some fresh air is great advice from @davejsy, especially if the sun is shining. Buen camino.
Thank you for your kind words! I went out briefly this morning to get more cold medicine and went up to see the Iglesia de San Miguel while I was out, which is truly impressive. It's quite cold today so I'm back inside now. Fingers crossed this'll clear up soon.

What a shame for you. Wishing you a very speedy recovery, and an amazing rest of your Camino. Estella is beautiful and lots to look around if you are up to a gentle amble and to get some fresh air. It's nice to sit down by the river - maybe get yourself a kindle book on your phone or something to help.

I mean it might just be bad luck, but you might find that you'll look back on this as something the Camino felt needed to happen. It can be full of lessons that you don't realise at the time.

Buen Camino
I totally get where you're coming from - who knows why this happened or what will come of it, but I've bumped into a few peregrinos while out and got to see the stunning church, so trying to look on the bright side!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Seems like my husband gets some kind of bad cold every year on the Camino, and in 2022 we had Covid together while trying to run an albergue! (Had to shut down the place for a few days!) It's really no fun being sick and especially when you are away from home. Hope you are soon on the mend!

I am stuck at home with a nasty cold - but at least it's in my own house- though looking out at the first batch of sunny weather we've had in months.
But I did come down with a cold on one camino but thankfully after 3 days I felt okay and by end of the week I was back at full steam. Best thing currently is to be bored and get rested up- as frustrating as it may be.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I likewise had a broken ankle (in three places), and have pins, plate and screws put in an operation. This happened nearly three years ago and I am up to 13,000 steps a day, but still have some recurring neuropathy. I hope you are healing quickly and can make another Camino! I’m aiming for next April.

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The pharmacist in Puente La Reina was very helpful in stocking me up with cold meds.
I was in a private room (with a friend - please don't catch this from me Jeanne!) but couldn't get another night there so took a taxi to Estella where I'm spending 3 days in a private apartment. Hopefully I'll get better quickly. I plan to start again on Friday April 26 with just a short leg to Villamajor de Montjardin where I have another private room. I'm trying to isolate from other pilgrims until I'm better. Then another short leg the next day to Sansol. Once I'm fully recovered I'm hoping I can start stretching the distances to catch back up and get on schedule - I have to look at that and see where I am and what's possible. I'm just sharing because I'm a bit down and bored and feeling crook... Anyone had a similar experience?
This happens. I contracted severe bronchitis in 2013, the first few days out of SJPdP, and limped into Pamplona. Having a private hotel room with heat that I controlled helped a lot. I slept in my sleeping bag, under the covers, with the extra blanket on top - with the heat turned up as high as I could.

On the way there, the pharmacist gave me some industrial strength cough syrup and paracetamol (Tylenol). I happened to have prescription antibiotics with me - my doctor is cool about this as he knows I will only use the medication if needed. So I administered the azithromycin (Z-Pack).

The next morning, having sweated out the fever, taken the Paracetamol and antibiotics, I was "tickety boo." I was able to continue my Camino.

Hope this helps in some way,

Tom

Last year I got really sick (from another very sick pilgrim coughing all night long) and had to take a taxi to Burgos, where I rented a small apartment for a few days to recover. I bought amazingly strong ginger tea bags from the supermarket - basically just dried ginger - and made ginger & honey drinks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have gotten horrid colds or a bad stomach virus on every Camino except the Portuguese Camino that I just finished on Friday. Add in the broken wrist that sent me home on one Camino and I longed for just one normal Camino!
Got it this time, so maybe the sickness bad luck streak is finally broken.

Get better soon!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a "bad cold" last year. My wife insisted I take a (completely unnecessary, I thought) Covid test. It was positive. Just a suggestion!

Last year on second day of my camino, I contracted the nastiest case of RSV. Thought I'd easily shake it off, but instead ended up in a hotel in Zizur Mayor for nine days. Completely threw off my entire camino.

Don't push yourself, drink plenty of zumo🍊and sleeeeeep!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Feel better @arfajajc! Know the feeling of being holed up by yourself :(

Sounds like the Camino is pretty cold at the moment as well, so that probably doesn't do any favours. I'm starting in a bit over a week in Burgos - so I might catch you on the Camino!

Abrazo & hope you recover quickly

I had a "bad cold" last year. My wife insisted I take a (completely unnecessary, I thought) Covid test. It was positive. Just a suggestion!
It's amazing how quickly people have forgotten about Covid. At this point it should be the first thought instead of a cold.

On my first Camino I got a really bad cold walking from Santiago to Finisterre. It was the worst cold that I had had in years, but I was able to keep walking, and stayed in private rooms with ensuites so that I could give myself a steam treatment with long hot showers.

Hi all, quick update:
I'm extending my stay in Estella for the coming weekend. I'm still really sick with headache (back again 😣), dreadfully sore throat, and really nasty congested chest with death-rattle cough 😳😏. I went out to get some groceries today and I'm so weak and shaky and sick. I'm going to take all the good advice and stay inside, keep warm, take my meds and just try to sleep it away. I plan to bus ahead to Burgos on Monday (hopefully) to get back on schedule and track down my Camino family... They've been really supportive via Whatsapp, and so have you all here on the forum. Many thanks for cheering up this sad peregrina ❤️🤗

This happens. I contracted severe bronchitis in 2013, the first few days out of SJPdP, and limped into Pamplona. Having a private hotel room with heat that I controlled helped a lot. I slept in my sleeping bag, under the covers, with the extra blanket on top - with the heat turned up as high as I could.

On the way there, the pharmacist gave me some industrial strength cough syrup and paracetamol (Tylenol). I happened to have prescription antibiotics with me - my doctor is cool about this as he knows I will only use the medication if needed. So I administered the azithromycin (Z-Pack).

The next morning, having sweated out the fever, taken the Paracetamol and antibiotics, I was "tickety boo." I was able to continue my Camino.

Hope this helps in some way,

Tom
Haha, I can absolutely relate... I've been wearing merino layers and tights to bed, with blanket, duvet cover, extra blanket and my sleeping bag over the top!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Peterexpatkiwi ,
Hey mate, I'm much improved but my cough sounds horrendous, as these things usually do before they get better. But I'm definitely on the mend! Still, I'm being very cautious and will spend the weekend here in Estella to fully recover and try to build back some strength. I went out to get groceries a few times and really noticed how weak I was when walking up and down stairs. I plan to bus to Burgos on Monday to get back on track (sadly missing a chunk of my Camino) and will start again from there on Tuesday. Wish me luck! 👍

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Peterexpatkiwi ,
Hey mate, I'm much improved but my cough sounds horrendous, as these things usually do before they get better. But I'm definitely on the mend! Still, I'm being very cautious and will spend the weekend here in Estella to fully recover and try to build back some strength. I went out to get groceries a few times and really noticed how weak I was when walking up and down stairs. I plan to bus to Burgos on Monday to get back on track (sadly missing a chunk of my Camino) and will start again from there on Tuesday. Wish me luck! 👍
Smart cookie.. one person in a meeting I attended today has what was referred to as the 100 day cough. You do not want that, nor do your fellow pilgrims!
Glad you have the time and the wisdom to recalibrate. Buen camino...
🇳🇿

I am walking the Primitivo and I just came down with a stomach bug, I think food poisoning from a sandwich I had yesterday. So I booked into a hotel between Bersecudo and Grandas de Salime.

Wondering if anyone has experience taking a taxi and rough cost per km?

I may have to skip walking for a few days and jump ahead to O Cadavo or Lugo.

I am walking the Primitivo and I just came down with a stomach bug, I think food poisoning from a sandwich I had yesterday. So I booked into a hotel between Bersecudo and Grandas de Salime.

Wondering if anyone has experience taking a taxi and rough cost per km?

I may have to skip walking for a few days and jump ahead to O Cadavo or Lugo.
My shared taxi from Puente La Reina to Estella, via Lorca to drop off the fellow peregrina, was €20 each (€40 total). The distance was about 20km.

€149,-
I got a taxi from Las Grandas (a hotel 5km before Grandas De Salime) to O Cadavo (60 km) for 60 Euro. A 10 euro discount as he brought another pilgrim the 5km to Grandas De Salime. He was also doing baggage transfer.

By the way, it was snowing for most of the drive.

There are a bunch of these going round in southern Europe at the moment, I've had roughly half a dozen colds since the Autumn. Some of them are not unlikely to be common cold/covid recombinant coronaviruses, therefore highly contagious -- and very annoying.

€149,-
Sad you’re so ill. It is very smart to isolate yourself (and very considerate to your fellow pilgrims). You’re not alone. Yay for the forum!

Last edited:
So good to test!! Thanks. How long did it take to feel ok to walk?
About 4 weeks...I was in an isolated spot in the Bugey foothills (Eastern France) following le Voie d'Assise when I tested positive. I wasn't able to self-isolate where I found myself as the building was cold and I couldn't obtain food. So, I got myself out of mountains and holed up for a few weeks at a friend's place in the South West of France. I rested there for three or four weeks then had to leave Europe as my 90 days were up...

...after that, when the work I'd been offered in England didn't materialise, I ended up zigzagging my way on foot from Eastbourne to Lands End then arround the bend to St Ives, walking from coast to coast to coast to coast a few times.

It's hard to know if there were any after effects from the bout of Covid. I ploughed on as though there weren't. I still carry masks, sanitising gel and one or two Covid tests wherever I go...

Cheers

20230915_135953.jpg
St Nicholas Chapel, St Ives
(September 2023)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ps @arfajajc, I do hope you are feeling better soon.

Ultreia e suseia!
@lovingkindness , thank you for your love and kindness (😏)!
I'm much better and plan to recommence my Camino from Burgos, where I'll go tomorrow by bus. I'm sad to miss such a big section of the Camino - Estella to Burgos - but I need to be grateful that I still have a Camino at all, given how sick I was. I'm still coughing quite heavily, so I'll need to start out slow. I'm pretty weak from basically 5 days in bed...

Yesterday I went for a short walk through the Parque Los Llanos here in Estella and felt a bit light-headed and dizzy when I got back. Today I might try to walk to Irache and back, which will be about 5.5km. It'll give me an idea of how slowly I need to restart from Burgos, plus I get to see the legendary wine fountain - yaaayyy!

Thanks again to everyone on the forum for your comments and support - you made what was otherwise quite a lonely, gloomy time, much more bearable.
Buen Camino mis amigos! 🤗

@lovingkindness , thank you for your love and kindness (😏)!
I'm much better and plan to recommence my Camino from Burgos, where I'll go tomorrow by bus. I'm sad to miss such a big section of the Camino - Estella to Burgos - but I need to be grateful that I still have a Camino at all, given how sick I was. I'm still coughing quite heavily, so I'll need to start out slow. I'm pretty weak from basically 5 days in bed...

Yesterday I went for a short walk through the Parque Los Llanos here in Estella and felt a bit light-headed and dizzy when I got back. Today I might try to walk to Irache and back, which will be about 5.5km. It'll give me an idea of how slowly I need to restart from Burgos, plus I get to see the legendary wine fountain - yaaayyy!

Thanks again to everyone on the forum for your comments and support - you made what was otherwise quite a lonely, gloomy time, much more bearable.
Buen Camino mis amigos! 🤗

Your positive attitude is carrying you forward, and I’m so pleased that you’re continuing your Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh and enjoy visiting the forge in Ayegui…it’s on the Camino, just before you reach the wine fountain

Burgos to Santiago is not nothing! And you'll be restarting by asking across the sublime Meseta. Who knows? Maybe you'll meet familiar people from before the illness struck.
Buen camino, @arfajajc !
Slowly, slowly...
@VNwalking yes, you're right - I still have a big adventure ahead of me! Plus I was lucky enough to experience SJPP to Puente La Reina before getting sick, so I have much to be grateful for.
I've been looking forward to the Meseta since first learning about the Camino. The wide-open spaces call to me (perhaps a legacy of my childhood growing up on the plains and rolling foothills of Southern Alberta, framed by the magnificent Rocky Mountains ❤️).
...and also yes, I'll need to go slowly... 👍🏻

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@VNwalking yes, you're right - I still have a big adventure ahead of me! Plus I was lucky enough to experience SJPP to Puente La Reina before getting sick, so I have much to be grateful for.
I've been looking forward to the Meseta since first learning about the Camino. The wide-open spaces call to me (perhaps a legacy of my childhood growing up on the plains and rolling foothills of Southern Alberta, framed by the magnificent Rocky Mountains ❤️).
...and also yes, I'll need to go slowly... 👍🏻
Glad to see that you are a lot better, and if you don't make it to Irache, don't worry, there is better quality wine everywhere else!
Seriously, if you find you are going beyond your capacity today, just turn back...
Take care.

Seriously, if you find you are going beyond your capacity today, just turn back...
Take care.
Fortunately there is wonderful accommodation not far from Burgos. My favorite is Albergue Liberanos Domine in Rabé de las Calzadas; before that in Tardajos others say La Fabrica is very nice. Whichever you choose, it's not too long a day.

plus I get to see the legendary wine fountain - yaaaay
Righhht.... So one of your first thoughts after going for a short walk which left you dizzy, was to plan a visit to a wine fountain... .
Well, we all have our own reasons for walking the Camino.

Clearly you must be feeling better !

Righhht.... So one of your first thoughts after going for a short walk which left you dizzy, was to plan a visit to a wine fountain... .
Well, we all have our own reasons for walking the Camino.

Clearly you must be feeling better !
Cmon, a peregrina’s gotta have something to motivate her :)

Fortunately there is wonderful accommodation not far from Burgos. My favorite is Albergue Liberanos Domine in Rabé de las Calzadas; before that in Tardajos others say La Fabrica is very nice. Whichever you choose, it's not too long a day.
Thank you for these recommendations!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

€149,-
...and here I am in Rabe de las Calzadas at, yep, you guessed it, Albuerge Liberanos Domine!! 🤗🤣👍🏻

I’m on my second cold. The first time I holed up in Burgos for three days .
My new one just developed yesterday but I couldnt find a private room near Astorga. So I spent a miserable night suppressing coughs in a full albergue. Get well quickly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m on my second cold. The first time I holed up in Burgos for three days .
My new one just developed yesterday but I couldnt find a private room near Astorga. So I spent a miserable night suppressing coughs in a full albergue. Get well quickly.
I'm back walking and fully recovered, thank goodness. So sorry to hear you've come down with a second cold - unless the first didn't fully clear up and has returned? I hope you get well soon too!

Most read last week in this forum

I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to...
I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal...
Hi all, It's been a while since I posted here, but happy to be back. I hiked about 100 miles in 2015, loved it, and the Camino got into me and became part of me. That pilgrimage resulted in a...
Hello all, I’m a first time peregrina walking solo on the Portugues Central route. I have injured my right knee and cannot walk. I can barely hobble right now. Since the weekend is coming up I...
Hi guys, thanks for all your help so far. I tried to search this topic in past threads but couldn’t find much. So apologies if this is a repetitive question Basically I need to see a doctor to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.