• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

House on the camino Frances (Leon) for sale

LenaOnTheRoad

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, Camino Portugues 2013, Via de la Plata 2016
I'm not sure where to post this, is there a better place? If so, please move it or let me know.

I just found a really nice and affordable building close to Leon, on the Camino, and wanted to share it with you, in case someone wants to open an albergue. It's not me who is selling. I'm just sharing it from a Facebook group:

Se vende casa en Mansilla de las mulas, se encuentra a 18km de León y es una villa medieval que cuenta con todos los servicios básicos. Está situada en pleno camino De Santiago, por lo que sería ideal tanto para vivir en ella, como para negocio de alquiler turístico. La casa está en perfecto estado para entrar a vivir. Se divide en dos plantas, en total tiene 115m cuadrados. Consta de 4 dormitorios, cocina, baño, salón y una pequeña bodega. Tiene calefacción de gasoil. No tiene terreno ni patio. Precio: 56.000€

The fotos look amazing, too. I will post here the link of the group, so you can have find the post yourself and reach out to the seller. https://www.facebook.com/groups/352423299332148

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-10 um 18.31.15.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-10 um 18.31.15.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 7,573
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thought Mansilla de las mullas lacked character quick walk through.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I see the village has already several albergues. Not sure whether that is good or bad...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I knew that I'd like Mansilla the moment I first saw its "Tired Peregrinos" monument.

tqwvOQBxc_f7FoNhPlOmbznjo7nynGVvFbPlrcLuLne2auHJIkg-Cn4zlVPdEv0DlweZdi-cT3_OKrAtitVEVkXkN3RYLORIpFrwWwOKKCnWss6v5laSAt8TAPJcSaxj2olTzZqk8MEBaeQUdbvzhmuPPmVlCIQqSPmQYuu0fNZWx8Ei3jpu2dVsuSHdYxTf5OEYg5m6tRlwtjNCAW7WzITsl0dqlop5pXqissPURR_LLqEkwD5xEtXst7mk0zG1z1NMzcp_9yOJwthiS7IUI8KLC0TMrW49BIAqFsqvOapRkZwvyo2qtyYSgnR9NOArpINx_tNM8vurxNQpvOxeK4B7pujedV-EeJSrxNBP7BQkBUM7B2GRtEpVFxapPIHMW3JLGIcUi4k--T1FJaga4cSRcHhGJduDw_2Z3tWckX2C_1HkJx2-_bMUz_YdlijhXcqZd-7ygR7el3gBX0UIsPiFcMC6XW-Ro7qJ01jXy0OThyGKIhaAifrixJbgWtFfkRnQLXtc9LbtVyEnXqDZcBmW0qn6FQZwgDDyVWKPz1MhBVBNlSmgZwxAvBvyGJ6d4ysla7sr7rQw18txMQcEWgZB48JOosDJb7RH8mG5kmlEtaeKCKYX84Exg0ouWNJOsftr7kkf7Apo8BeWHQIStfAShEnVJCmbfHJ5inUO9dKeOsZKsaq0IC3s0q0JwJglzkBMcexEUszPZHS1YqIpyIuw9b6O09iwnZTqRJrnYmt-vfVE7mEJ1RMkV6upKac1ET42jYzVE7OU_J13qexk4j-JAZFsUs0BEj37IGZb8-bgtQuNDVoCp0qY93DdAQ7FL9d_OCMreOVNCKBwrSHEIaKv4v8_io3qIwBhLqJnCQrBmx-T72P9L5rQJCM1iiGdLVuxAzHUXk1hDRTG6Z2WDNsS1wmTOoGl17G7jQbFBl7c7j_lwA=w623-h937-no

I've done three overnights in Mansilla in recent years. It used to have a nice enough albergue, the El Jardin. But it still has one of the best private hostel/restaurants that I ever found on the Frances - the Albergueria del Camino. (Wise Pilgrim agrees!). Dinner in the charming interior courtyard at the Albergueria is loved by the locals, and I can understand why. I will certainly stay there again if given the chance.. ... Mansilla is a modest place, I will concede, but it has several interesting churches, some spectacularly well preserved sections of it's medieval wall, and an ethnographic museum which I have never found open. And there's this plus! Its just a cheap 20 minute bus ride from Leon, one of the great cities of Europe , and where you can get anything and everything that you can't get in Mansilla.

In an ideal world it is just the sort of place where I've love to buy a house and retire.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mansilla de las Mulas used to have a highly regarded public albergue which closed down a while ago, so could probably use a new one. The town itself seemed pleasant enough and more economically viable than most. But you need to do a lot of due diligence before you even think about opening up an albergue.

Mansilla is a great little town, and just a stones throw (if you're not walking) from León. The municipal albergue closed a few years ago and the private albergues filled the void quickly. Not sure what the business plan would be but for a tenacious pilgrim it could be a fun project. The camino needs more small albergues focused on the pilgrims.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This available property is near the ex municipal albergue and only a few steps from the Restorante La Curiosa at Calle del Párroco José Álvarez, 15. Years past I often enjoyed an outstanding daily menu there. However, the daily menu was NOT offered on Sunday and in all probability the daily prices have risen since.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm not sure where to post this, is there a better place? If so, please move it or let me know.

I just found a really nice and affordable building close to Leon, on the Camino, and wanted to share it with you, in case someone wants to open an albergue. It's not me who is selling. I'm just sharing it from a Facebook group:

Se vende casa en Mansilla de las mulas, se encuentra a 18km de León y es una villa medieval que cuenta con todos los servicios básicos. Está situada en pleno camino De Santiago, por lo que sería ideal tanto para vivir en ella, como para negocio de alquiler turístico. La casa está en perfecto estado para entrar a vivir. Se divide en dos plantas, en total tiene 115m cuadrados. Consta de 4 dormitorios, cocina, baño, salón y una pequeña bodega. Tiene calefacción de gasoil. No tiene terreno ni patio. Precio: 56.000€

The fotos look amazing, too. I will post here the link of the group, so you can have find the post yourself and reach out to the seller. https://www.facebook.com/groups/352423299332148
€56 000 great price!!! You're not going to get a shoe box for that amount here in Sydney! Oh to be 40 years younger!

But it still has one of the best private hostel/restaurants that I ever found on the Frances - the Albergueria del Camino. (Wise Pilgrim agrees!).

I had a booking there on my first Camino.
Dragged myself in after a long day, only to be told they were now full.
And they shipped me off to a Casa Rural in the middle of nowhere, where I was the only guest :oops:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed at Albergue Gaia, which is not expensive at all, 14€ for a bed. The host and hostess were extremely kind and friendly. It has great facilities and does a donativo breakfast. The beds are new, but creak at night, but all in all, a very nice place to stay.
Staying there again this spring.
The town is lovely and the church is stunning. I don't understand the comment that it has no charm or charecter. Simply strolling through the old city walls was cool and unique.

As @rappahannock_rev suggests, Albergueria del Camino is a great place to stay and grab a nice meal. The family owned and operated abode is very welcoming for sure. My son met me in Sahagun last Good Friday and we walked the 36 km to Mansilla de las Mulas on Holy Saturday. There was not much going on in town but the courtyard dinner are was filled with pilgrims ready to enjoy the Semana Santa spirit. The had a very nice private room for two at a very reasonable price for sure.

I had a lovely evening in Mansilla in a bar where the bartender explained to me the various sizes of wine ordered by his customers. He went on to describe their social habits in visiting many bars to meet their friends without succumbing to alcoholic poisoning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back