• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How big is my bag?

ward4e

Time of past OR future Camino
'13-French Way
'18-Via de Plata
'23-Gibraltair
Pardon the innuendo but seriously it sounded reasonable in my head...

So i'm down to my final month!!!! a have a ton of gear all kitted up minus my kilt and well no where to put it all my camino stuff! So being the "tight" person, half Scottish* from a long line of savers ... well hang on let me rephrase this if i could save $150 to $250 on a back pack so I can have dinner, sleep in a warm bed and have breakfast on my last day with my camino friends at the end of my trip without the fear of euro issues then no i'm not tight! just frugal with the option of extravagance. :p

so I asked around my friends to see if anyone had a 50l to 65l aaand the only one I could find was is still on a trip to hong kong.. so dejected i stalked the local 2nd hand stores for a used toffs mackpack or k2 bag... no luck so walking home from the gym on hard rubbish night (free furniture day) here in brisbane i spotted a bag... well 3 bags.. 2 hiking packs and a 30l black back pack!!!

Well the 30l blacky is now my daily backpack looks like a school bag and light as! I wish i could shave down my gear list to fit it but no... So maybe one of the two hiking bags? One is a K2 ascent bag, top loader and 70l? so no I'm not taking 30l more space that I can fill with excess baggage along the way!

That leaves the Kathmandu bag... see attached piccy
IMAG0426.jpg

so what size is it? oh yeah tiles are bad but the place is so so cheap... so i can go on my trek!!

IMAG0429.jpg

separate bottom compartment...

IMAG0428.jpg

top compartment with compressible pack pocket...

IMAG0427.jpg

and a fully adjustable rig for carrying...

but how big is it??? i can't fill it with water.. ...

* my dad told me along long time ago that along with a love of thistles (girls).. the colour blue and getting sun burnt on a cloudy day (ginger/ lobster) that saving money was high on our agenda as well as a nasty nasty rumour that copper wire was invented by two Scotty's fighting over a penny...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm assuming you can easily discern that it is larger than your 30L bag, and also obviously smaller than your 70L bag, which would put it in the 40-50L range. That's a rational - even spacious - volume for a Camino trip.

If you really want to know, you could fill it with (what we Yanks refer to as) packing peanuts (those foam squigglies used to fill up the shipping carton around fragile goods). Or, take measurements and go on the manufacturer's website to see which model is the closest.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The construction details - side carry handle and top closure arrangements - indicate that this is one of the Kathmandu hybrids. It appears very similar to the current Litehaul V2, a 38li pack, but there is also the larger Entrada (65li) which has similar details. Your pack might be an earlier version of one of these.

Clearly, though, it is a hybrid. I used one when I walked the Camino Frances. They have many useful features, but all these add weight to the pack. The other issue is that the harness will not necessarily be as good as one might find on a dedicated trekking pack.

The hybrid I used was brilliant in the week or so after finishing, when I travelled to London and Paris, but it exacted a price on the Camino carrying the extra weight.

Regards,

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.