• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I get from Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris to the Montparnasse train station ?

Natique2

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
Hello all
I am flying into CDG Paris airport and need to get to the Montparnasse train station to catch the train to SJPDP. Is there a direct train from CDG to Montparnasse station? If so, where do I find it in the airport and how do I buy a ticket? If there is not a trim from the airport to Montparnasse station, do I need to take a taxi or Uber?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As I understand, there is a RER train from CDG to Montparnasse Station. Plug this route into rome2rio.com and it should provide you with more specifics. Others may chime in as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the page from Paris CDG airport website with public transport options.

There is no direct train to Montparnasse. RER train line B takes you to Gare du Nord where you’ll need to take the metro or a taxi to Montparnasse station. There are ticket machines at the airport station and usually SNCF staff within sight to assist.

The Airport Bus takes you to Paris Opera.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I was in Paris I used Google Maps to find the best public transportation options. When you arrive at CDG just put Gare Montparnasse into the search on Google Maps and it will direct you to the best options.

So, there are many options. Bus, commuter train, and taxi. They each have their pros and cons. The bus and train are cheaper than a taxi. But they require greater navigation skills at the airport. They also take more time than a taxi.

On the other hand, a taxi ride is mindless, stress free, and does not require any navigation skills after an overnight flight. You simply walk out of the terminal, jump in the back of a taxi, say, "Gare Montparnasse," and about thirty minutes later you are standing in front of Gare Montparnasse train station for about $85.

Finally, if you are subject to jet lag, taking a taxi is highly recommended by this person. There is nothing worse than trying to figure out where the train station is located for the first time at CDG with a pounding headache and the strong desire to be away from loud sounds and other irritating stimulus that you could do really do without.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can you take the train directly from the CDG train station? Tthere seems to be a train that goes to Bordeaux, switch to Bayonne, local train to SJPDP
Yes there are usually a few trains a day directly from CDG airport station.

I got a bus, run by a private company, that got to Montparnasse after various stops along the way. A bit more expensive than the train, but it was pretty easy to find and didn't require much thought once on board.

hi, the direct bus service to gare Montparnasse doesn’t exist anymore (covid bankrupt).
You can take an official taxi at the fixed price of 67€ (+supp luggage) or take the RER B to Denfert-Rochereau station then walk or take metro line 6 to gare Montparnasse.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As @Fred2a said above take the RER B to Denfert-Rochereau station then walk ... it's like 10 mins walk
To be fair I never had an issue finding RER B in CdG. Signs are well posted and now you get tickets at the automated kiosk.
IMHO that's the most efficient and cheapest option
Good luck and Buen Camino

Hello all
I am flying into CDG Paris airport and need to get to the Montparnasse train station to catch the train to SJPDP. Is there a direct train from CDG to Montparnasse station? If so, where do I find it in the airport and how do I buy a ticket? If there is not a trim from the airport to Montparnasse station, do I need to take a taxi or Uber?
How about the B line metro out of CDG to Denefort-Rochereau and then a 10 min walk to Montparnasse?

RER is the cheapest option. Since you are coming from USA you will probably land in Terminal 2 where there is clear signage to the trains once you leave baggage claim. If using a taxi, then you need to go all the way outside the building to the official taxi stand. Rates to/from CDG are regulated so stick with the licensed cabs. There are many non-licensed people crowded around the exit from baggage claim who will be very happy to charge a lot more money from less than knowledgeable tourists.

RER to Gare du Nord then a taxi to Montparnasse is an option. For me, the walk from the Denfert station was a nice departure from sitting on a plane for 8 hours. Just look for the black 65 story office tower to point you in the right direction once you depart the station.

If taking the RER remember to hold on to your ticket. You will need it to exit the station. RER machines do have a problem reading the ticket sometimes so keep trying different machines. I just that happen a couple of weeks ago at a different RER station. Went to the ticket desk to complain but they said my ticket was valid and I should just keep trying. Welcome to Paris!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
RER is the cheapest option. Since you are coming from USA you will probably land in Terminal 2 where there is clear signage to the trains once you leave baggage claim. If using a taxi, then you need to go all the way outside the building to the official taxi stand. Rates to/from CDG are regulated so stick with the licensed cabs. There are many non-licensed people crowded around the exit from baggage claim who will be very happy to charge a lot more money from less than knowledgeable tourists.

RER to Gare du Nord then a taxi to Montparnasse is an option. For me, the walk from the Denfert station was a nice departure from sitting on a plane for 8 hours. Just look for the black 65 story office tower to point you in the right direction once you depart the station.

If taking the RER remember to hold on to your ticket. You will need it to exit the station. RER machines do have a problem reading the ticket sometimes so keep trying different machines. I just that happen a couple of weeks ago at a different RER station. Went to the ticket desk to complain but they said my ticket was valid and I should just keep trying. Welcome to Paris!
I was not aware of the RER and thus demonstrates my knowledge of getting around Paris :) .

I was not aware of the RER and thus demonstrates my knowledge of getting around Paris :) .
Yeah, there a lot of options for transport in Paris and all of them can eventually get you to Montparnasse. Everyone has their own threshold for cost, time, irritation, etc... I generally take the RER for anything outside of the city that is less than 30-45 minutes away, including getting to and from CDG.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bonjour,
Si vous ne souhaitez pas particulièrement traverser Paris, je dirais tgv Paris Cdg/, Bordeaux, Tgv Bordeaux/ Bayonne, Train régional vers SJPDP.
Par contre je prendrais la peine d'acheter mon billet sur l application sncf connect pour éviter un train complet.

Good morning ,

If you don't particularly want to cross Paris, I should tgv Paris Cdg/, Bordeaux, Tgv Bordeaux/ Bayonne, Regional train to SJPDP.

On the other hand, I would take the trouble to buy my ticket on the sncf connect application to avoid a full train.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This may or may not be relevant but last March, after walking from Gare du Nord to Montpanasse, I stayed in a lovely little hotel a few hundred metres from Montpanasse station ready for early morning train to Bayonne. It was called Arotel.
It was about the cheapest in the area, but from my 9th floor window I had an unobstructed view of the Eiffel Tower, so pretty at night. A world class view , about to be beaten by the daily views on the Camino

My first time I took the (now out if business) bus that @dougfitz mentioned. This year I was traveling with a small group and we took an Uber to our hotel in the Montparnasse area - the cost was €59.56.

How about the B line metro out of CDG to Denefort-Rochereau and then a 10 min walk to Montparnasse?

Well... I think you're a bit hard on yourself. Seems like you "knew" it - you just called it a "metro line". In reality RER trains are more like suburban lines; in the city the RER acts as an express underground or subway train. Beyond Paris city centre, the RER is a ground level commuter train connecting outlying suburbs and popular destinations (there is A to Disneyland, B - to CdG and C to Versailles) vs 'regular' if you will 'inner city' Metro lines (these are numbered).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This may or may not be relevant but last March, after walking from Gare du Nord to Montpanasse, I stayed in a lovely little hotel a few hundred metres from Montpanasse station ready for early morning train to Bayonne. It was called Arotel.
It was about the cheapest in the area, but from my 9th floor window I had an unobstructed view of the Eiffel Tower, so pretty at night. A world class view , about to be beaten by the daily views on the Camino
BAH! Anything "Paris" is relevant (whether one is in Paris or not ;):))
One can certainly go up the top of Tour de Montparnasse - only "slightly' higher than its "more famous and much older" shall we say cousin?!

Me - I love to roam the cemeteries and being in Paris that never disappoints.
Cimetière du Montparnasse is a tad less that 1km from Gare so can comfortably walked in 15 mins or less.
Not as "awe-inspiring' as Pere Lachaise, perhaps but still worthy of a visit
Some entombments include F Auguste Bartoldi (sculptor of Statue of Liberty), Alexander Alekhin (Russian chess champion), Man Ray (a photographer), Jean-Paul Sartre (philosopher), Jacques Chirac (politician, Mayor of Paris & PM), Jeanne Sebert (American access), Susan Sontag (American author and philosopher), Alfred Dreyfus (he of Dreyfuss Affair), Serge Gainsbourg (composer & singer) and, as of late - Jean-Paul Belmondo and (my heart still breaks) Jane Birkin (Quoi? d´notre amour fou n´resterait que des cendres... :-()

hi, the direct bus service to gare Montparnasse doesn’t exist anymore (covid bankrupt).
You can take an official taxi at the fixed price of 67€ (+supp luggage) or take the RER B to Denfert-Rochereau station then walk or take metro line 6 to gare Montparnasse.

We stayed overnight in Paris, in a hotel one block from Gare Montparnasse. This is how we got there (RER to Denfert-Rochereau) after landing in CDG. Very easy trip and not a long walk to Montparnasse.

Jim

This is the best option.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Map way has a really good app called Paris Metro which has a route planner option. We used it extensively and it didn't let us down. This is the route it came up with (and which we followed to get to Bayonne to start our camino)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230728_144711_Paris Metro.jpg
    Screenshot_20230728_144711_Paris Metro.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 27
Another option to consider, is to simply fly from CDG straight to Biarritz. Much simpler and faster. I found this flight on a randon day I selected and the price is no more than a taxi to Montparnasse.

Attachments

• cdg to Biaritz.jpg
    cdg to Biaritz.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 16
Hello all
I took a bus.

Hello all

I used a YouTube video from a site called ‘Show me the Journey‘, which is excellent. Type in Gare de Nord to Montparnasse and it’ll detail the route, handy to download the reverse journey for coming back. we found the directions clear and the Metro easy to travel.

We stayed overnight in Paris, in a hotel one block from Gare Montparnasse. This is how we got there (RER to Denfert-Rochereau) after landing in CDG. Very easy trip and not a long walk to Montparnasse.

Jim
That’s sounds terrific! Can you tell me how to get to the train starting at RER? Is that in CDG airport? Where do I buy the tix for the train ride from RER to Denfert Rochereau? Thanks so much for helping us! Truly appreciate your response!

Halfway down the page is the choice between TGV to Bordeaux (15:18) or the RER (B) which are more frequent.

Was in Paris this February - off peak - and the cost of the accommodation was eye watering. Or that could have been the cold winter winds along the Seine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That’s sounds terrific! Can you tell me how to get to the train starting at RER? Is that in CDG airport? Where do I buy the tix for the train ride from RER to Denfert Rochereau? Thanks so much for helping us! Truly appreciate your response!
Train station was right next to the terminal, I just follow the signs for RER/TGV.

You buy RER tickets at an automated machine at the terminal, menu has language option for the instruction screen.

You need the ticket to get through the station turnstile, which validates the ticket.

Jim

Hello all
You have Air France buses that go into Paris (and theycare NOT bankrupt as stated earlier!).

Les lignes des Cars Air France​

Ligne n° 2 : Place de l'Etoile ⇔ Porte Maillot ⇔ Aéroport Roissy CDG​

>>>>> Horaires et Tarifs ligne 2 des Cars Air France

Ligne n° 3 : Roissy Charles de Gaulle ⇔ Aéroport d'orly​

>>>>> Horaires et Tarifs ligne 3 des Cars Air France

Ligne n° 4 : Gare Montparnasse ⇔ Gare de lyon ⇔ Roissy CDG​

>>>>> Horaires et Tarifs ligne 4 des Cars Air France

You want Air France bus no. 4. Obtain your ticket at the ticket machine by first selecting your language, selecting whether you want a round trip or simple fare and use your credit card to pay. You will need the ticket to get on the bus.

I hope I get this clear for your benefit.
I booked my train trip to SJPdP directly from CDG at the TGV station – CDG2. (airport)

After boarding at 12:14 PM, I end up doing a change of trains at Massy TGV (48 minutes travel time) To a new train, which takes me all the way to Bayonne France. (approx travel time is 4 hours.)

When I reach Bayonne, I do another switch to another train to SJPDP. (Approx travel time one hour). You leave the train and ride up the street is the pilgrimage center where you’re supposed to check in for your trip.

I had a lot of trouble digging out information to locate the Gare Montparnasse rail station. I located an address of 17 Boulevard de Vaugirard ,75015 , Paris Fr.

Applied information to Goggle Maps and was able to locate the connector car routes to the station. Looked very busy.

Paris Massey TGV apparently reads as the Montparnasse train station. Massey seems to be a shortened abbreviation.

If I’m looking for this use of the trail line, you need to book early, rather than thinking you might get a ticket because the line was overbooked at one point when I called in and it took hours for me to book a trip. Hardly any different than the airline.

Hopefully my trip which starts on 8– 7–2023 works out OK. Hope to see you all along the way. Doing Santiago, Puerto, Lisbon, and then question. Question question question. Any suggestions?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for the correction. I was informed that there are train representatives there to assist the travelers to their destination. God speed all to a sucessful trip

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back