• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to download Camino apps for offline use?

JoeF

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I’m starting my Camino Frances on 26aug from SJPP. I am today traveling to SJPP. Can someone advise me how I might be able to download one of the free apps that can be used offline. I will be getting my SIM in ZUBIRI or Pamplona. Tks for your assistance. I have the apps but would like to download the app to be used offline.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can only speak for the Wise Pilgrim series. The paid version has all of the content offline, but you will have to spend a few minutes with the app open at home to download the offline maps (one time only) if you want to use them.

The only content that cannot be used offline is the commenting system, but you’ll be near wifi often enough to make use of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Presuming that you will be able to use wifi somewhere you are staying, you can download that way. As @wisepilgrim notes, it is preferable to download the maps in the WisePilgrim app while using wifi, and this is much the same for most of the other mapping apps.

Here are instructions for Android phones, the process is similar on iPhones.

Instructions for Wise Pilgrim

Tap on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner

Screenshot_20230825_031552_Frances.jpg

Then tap on "Download offline map"

Screenshot_20230825_031619_Frances.jpg

Then tap the Green "Download Offline Map " button.

Screenshot_20230825_031655_Frances.jpg

Instructions for Buen Camino

Tap on "Discover Further Routes" to open the route menu

Screenshot_20230825_032344_Buen Camino.jpg

Then select your route

Screenshot_20230825_032320_Buen Camino.jpg

Next tap "Download Guide"

Screenshot_20230825_031325_Buen Camino.jpg

Then "Use this guide"

Screenshot_20230825_032923_Buen Camino.jpg

Then tap on the yellow band with "Download Content"

Screenshot_20230825_031409_Buen Camino.jpg

Last edited:
I used the Wise Pilgrim Portuguese Camino app in May/June. It seemed when I was offline, it worked great for navigation, but I did not get details of a city until I went online. When I went online, I would then see the nearby albergues and other sites. That worked for me as I had a Portuguese and later a Spanish sim, but wonder if I was doing something wrong.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Instructions for Wise Pilgrim

Tap on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner

View attachment 155104

Then tap on "Download offline map"

View attachment 155105

Then tap the Green "Download Offline Map " button.

View attachment 155106

Instructions for Buen Camino

Tap on "Discover Further Routes" to open the route menu

View attachment 155109

Then select your route

View attachment 155107

Next tap "Download Guide"

View attachment 155110

Then "Use this guide"

View attachment 155111

Then tap on the yellow band with "Download Content"

View attachment 155112
Is your phone an Android? I have an IPhone. As usual instructions and the look and navigation of an app are a little different for the two operating systems.

Is your phone an Android? I have an IPhone. As usual instructions and the look and navigation of an app are a little different for the two operating systems.
Yes, my phone is an Android. I will edit my post to say that.

I used the Wise Pilgrim Portuguese Camino app in May/June. It seemed when I was offline, it worked great for navigation, but I did not get details of a city until I went online. When I went online, I would then see the nearby albergues and other sites. That worked for me as I had a Portuguese and later a Spanish sim, but wonder if I was doing something wrong.
That doesn’t sound right at all. I am curious to know more. (Send a dm if you like).

For sure you should not need any data connection to use the app.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello All, a bit of tech help please. This is embarrassing as my career was in technology, and I consider myself a 'geek', with about sixty apps on my smartphone....

I use a nice Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra smart phone. I have paid for and downloaded the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. The app is resident on my phone, but there is not a Icon for it. I have to do a 'search' on my phone, and then the app opens perfectly. Has anyone else had a similar issue with the app icon on a Samsung G22? If so I would appreciate the fix. We old 'tech goober-geeks' always learn new tricks and techniques....especially we 72 year old ones.....ken

Hello All, a bit of tech help please. This is embarrassing as my career was in technology, and I consider myself a 'geek', with about sixty apps on my smartphone....

I use a nice Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra smart phone. I have paid for and downloaded the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. The app is resident on my phone, but there is not a Icon for it. I have to do a 'search' on my phone, and then the app opens perfectly. Has anyone else had a similar issue with the app icon on a Samsung G22? If so I would appreciate the fix. We old 'tech goober-geeks' always learn new tricks and techniques....especially we 72 year old ones.....ken
If you long press on the icon there should be a pop up with three choices. You should choose Add to Home.

Screenshot_20230826_114721_One UI Home.jpg

I have the S23 Ultra, but it should be the same.

You can also Google "how to add apps to home screen on Samsung phone" for tutorials.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Not with Wise Pilgrim, but I had a similar problem with a different app. It appeared when I did a search on all the apps, and I was then able to long press on the name, and get it onto the home screen.

Wise Pilgrim - here is more information on my comments regarding only seeing the names of nearby locations when I was online. First, I started in Lisbon in mid-May and used Organic Maps for my navigation. I was not comfortable yet with Wise Pilgrim for navigation. As I progressed in my journey, I found that with OM, it was easier for me at the end of the day to have programmed in my destination for the night, rather than the city it was in. It was no fun searching around for my lodging when I was dead tired. I then started using Wise Pilgrim at the end of the day when I entered my final town. I grew to use it more on the way if I was thirsty as it showed the Pingo Doce and Aldi stores where I could get fresh orange juice for a pick me up. It seemed that when I brought it up, the offline map pointed out my location, but the names of the nearby businesses where not there until I turned on cellular. At that point it did exactly what I hoped for. Maybe I just needed more patience, and the names would have appeared. After meeting my daughters in Porto, they used Wise Pilgrim for our navigation. It was especially good crossing from Vila do Conde to the Central Way. I asked them and they said they had cellular service on all of the time. I was using a Portuguese Sim, so was trying to preserve my celluar allotment. They were using their AT&T US plans with the daily add on for Europe, so having unlimited usage, they saw no need to not be online. Sorry I can't give you more detail. One thing that would help with Wise Pilgrim is having a message when the maps are downloaded. You get a message that it will take a good while for the download, but I did not see anything showing that the download had completed. I did a download in the US, but when I got to Portugal, I got a message that I had to download the map. I assume the first download had failed, but since I started it and came back to my phone a half hour later, I had assumed it had completed successfully. A popup that the download had completed either successfully or failed would make the process easier or at least more informative. Overall, we were very happy with Wise Pilgrim. As the person who started this thread, I too had a career in IT, but a smart phone is very different from what I worked with. A tutorial would be great. Maybe there is one out there, but I did not see it. On a recent thread, there was a tutorial for Buen Camino. I found it to be very helpful in understanding that app, but unfortunately I had completed the Portuguese two months before seeing it. After seeing how much more info is available within your app, I will definitely use it on the Norte.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.