• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get to Camino Ingles

Krista Rogman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016), Camino Portugues (2017)
I am considering walking the Camino Ingles next fall. I am coming from Denver, USA.
Any suggestions on the easiest way to get to A Coruna? I guess that you can take a bus or taxi from A Coruna to Ferrol.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a regular (once a day I think) and cheap bus service from Santiago to Ferrol. Sure, you can get a bus from A Coruna to Ferrol too

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From small town Eastern Washington, I am taking a commuter flight to Seatac. Then on to Frankfurt due to the timing of connections - - and arrival time - - to Madrid. From Madrid we're flying into A Coruna, then bus or taxi to Ferrol.

Thank you for your suggestions. Will I need to fly into Madrid or is there a flight which goes to A Coruna?

There is a regular (once a day I think) and cheap bus service from Santiago to Ferrol. Sure, you can get a bus from A Coruna to Ferrol too
There are many buses a day from Santiago to Ferrol. The company is Monbus. It takes only about one and a half hour. And then it took me seven days to walk back to Santiago😜

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Krista, take a look at Skyscanner or any of the other flight information sites.

Thank you for your suggestions. Will I need to fly into Madrid or is there a flight which goes to A Coruna?
Hi,
I live in A Coruña, there are no direct flights from the USA to A Coruña, or Santiago. One usually connects in Madrid or Barcelona. I think there maybe 1 or 2 fights from London depending on the season. Santiago has more direct connections with European cities. You could run into trouble with changing airports for budget airlines so look carefully.
In my 25 years of traveling to and from Portland Oregon, I almost always went thorough an east coast city that would then get me to Madrid and on to Coruña and vice versa. From Denver maybe you could get to Europe directly then connect to Madrid and on. More than likely your are looking at least 3 flights to get here.
Good luck!!
Buen camino
MaryEllen

I flew into Madrid on an international flight and then picked up a domestic flight ( air europa) to A Coruña. I landed in Madrid terminal one and the domestic flight left from terminal 2 so a ten minute walk. I had to pick up my bags and check in again but was able to do this within the three hour window between flights at Madrid - and I have an EU passport- it may take a little longer for non EU to clear customs. I then taxied from A Coruña to ferrol - 65 euros with an airport taxi

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am considering walking the Camino Ingles next fall. I am coming from Denver, USA.
Any suggestions on the easiest way to get to A Coruna? I guess that you can take a bus or taxi from A Coruna to Ferrol.

There are buses from Santiago, as someone has already mentioned.
From A Coruña, you can either take a train or bus, although I would take the bus. It has more frequent services and it's faster. The bus company that operates this service is called Arriva. If you're choosing this option, make sure you check the schedules, as there are 2 types of services between A Coruña and Ferrol: one that stops everywhere and takes longer and one with just a couple of stops which gets you there in less than an hour.

As for flights, you can fly into Madrid or Barcelona. Santiago has a few international (European) connections, including London. A Coruña's airport is quite small and you don't have so many options there, but I think you can fly to/from London too.

Hi Krista
A good site to do initial searches on what’s available is Rome2rio.com

A screen shot of my search ‘Denver to Ferrol’ below shows flight Denver to Santiago Via Zurich... then take connection by bus or train to Ferrol as mentioned by forum members.
There are many buses a day from Santiago to Ferrol. The company is Monbus. It takes only about one and a half hour. And then it took me seven days to walk back to Santiago😜
Hi,
I live in A Coruña, there are no direct flights from the USA to A Coruña, or Santiago. Santiago has more direct connections with European cities.
MaryEllen

It’s slightly easier if you do this route as an ‘add-on’ after finishing in Santiago or doing earlier travel placing yourself closer to the start.
Good luck and buen camino
Annie

Attachments

• 10234EA8-EFF1-4AE9-A6BE-B1BC7247171F.jpeg
    10234EA8-EFF1-4AE9-A6BE-B1BC7247171F.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 21
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Guys - honestly! Three or more flights and a taxi to get to somewhere from where you’re going to do a 4-6 day walk?

I’m as committed a repeat peregrino as most, but surely there are other options.
That's pretty much what I thought, too. I seem to remember doing my first Camino armed with a map and a paper guide. Back in the dark ages when you went to a travel agent and Iberia charged half price for the return journey. The outward journey was the pilgrimage. But I've usually started walking or cycling from home, which would be tricky for the OP.

When I did the Ingles, I flew into Madrid on American Airlines and then took the night train to Ferrol. The bed was fine and I got a good night's sleep before starting out.

From small town Eastern Washington, I am taking a commuter flight to Seatac. Then on to Frankfurt due to the timing of connections - - and arrival time - - to Madrid. From Madrid we're flying into A Coruna, then bus or taxi to Ferrol.

I forgot how lucky I am to be able to drive down... I won’t moan about the long journey in future... I’ll just enjoy the view ❤️

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Guys - honestly! Three or more flights and a taxi to get to somewhere from where you’re going to do a 4-6 day walk?

I’m as committed a repeat peregrino as most, but surely there are other options.
I did the CI in 2016, but did extend my walk to about 14 days by walking to Muxia and then Finisterre before returning to Santiago to celebrate Easter. Long haul flights to London (Heathrow), Easyjet from Gatwick to Santiago Airport, bus to the city, then another bus to Ferrol and finally a taxi to the albergue at Covas. The return was a little simpler, but still involved getting back to London to return home - bus, Easyjet, train to Heathrow, flight home.

And no, there aren't many other options from my part of the world, and if you can only walk for a fortnight rather than five or six weeks, that's what you do.

I blame my son and now daughter-in-law for reducing the time I had to walk. She wasn't before that trip!

Last edited:
I flew into Madrid on an international flight and then picked up a domestic flight ( air europa) to A Coruña. I landed in Madrid terminal one and the domestic flight left from terminal 2 so a ten minute walk. I had to pick up my bags and check in again but was able to do this within the three hour window between flights at Madrid - and I have an EU passport- it may take a little longer for non EU to clear customs. I then taxied from A Coruña to ferrol - 65 euros with an airport taxi
€7 roughly by bus from O Coruna to Ferrol May 2019.....
Love

If you are flying to Madrid then just get a connecting flight to Santiago de Compostela and then the bus to Ferrol. You can get there by 5 PM and have a restful night and start the next day. I've done this twice.

PM me for any details.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Well, forget that doing the Ingles isn't the only thing going on. Please detail what those options are that I surely have. I live in East Wenatchee, Washington. I'll wait. . . . . . :)

I fly from Denver to Madrid and always seem to find the best rate, connecting somewhere on the east coast. Then a flight from Madrid to Coruña. Corúna to Ferrol by bus. They run more frequently than the train! You will love the Inglés!

Last edited:
Elle. . . you live in the Denver area? I just left Denver today after visiting my son. What a small world :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Elle. . . you live in the Denver area? I just left Denver today after visiting my son. What a small world :)
I used to live in Denver for many years. I now live in southern Colorado in the mountains, halfway between Trinidad and Cuchara, up a Canyon! But I am right now in Denver, visiting my step son! Yes its a small, small world! 🌎

If you find the better options ,please shed some light. I have to go from Boston to South Carolina, to Madrid, to A Coruna...then train or bus to Ferrol the next day...LOL
I agree! Rather labor intensive and time consuming for such a short walk!

If you find the better options ,please shed some light. I have to go from Boston to South Carolina, to Madrid, to A Coruna...then train or bus to Ferrol the next day...LOL

It looks lik,e you can fly from the USA into Frankfurt. If you catch just the right flight you will be able to make connections to A Coruna by Iberia, Air Europa and others. I think that if you fly into England you can catch flights into A Coruna also.

€83,-
Krista,
If you are going to land in Madrid, another option might be to take the flight from MAD (Madrid-Barajas) to SCQ (Santiago de Compostela). There are buses from SCQ’s airport that go directly to the main bus terminal at Santiago where you could readily get a bus going to El Ferrol. There are several bus companies servicing El Ferrol— check out: www.rome2rio.com

Our plan for November. Boston to Dublin on Aer Lingus, then Aer Lingus to Santiago de Compostela. Bus or train then to Ferrol. Of course for us to get to Boston, it is a train to DC, then Jet Blue to Boston. ;) But this itinerary lets us spend some time in Ireland researching family roots!

I flew into Santiago de Compostela and took the train to Ferrol. It was a short comfortable ride. http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
flights.google.com has a really good user interface and you can add or subtract days, amongst other things. I'm flying from Dallas to Madrid for what I expect to pay to go to Minneapolis (under $300).

Wow, a lot of complicated connections. Fly in to Madrid from wherever, connect on Iberia to A Coruña. From there I took a taxi to the O Burgo-Santiago train station which is about 5 minutes from the airport. Not all trains stop at this station so check the schedule. I had about an hour wait, there’s a grocery store across from the station and a bar next door. Often, you can book a connecting flight for as little as $30 as I did. I had time to get to my hotel, walk to the port to begin my CI, stop at the Con-Cathedral to get my sello and do a little sightseeing before I crashed. I highly recommend you at least consider this option.

F2C0F68F-F019-4C9A-A577-541039909DDB.jpeg

Don't underestimate jet lag either coming from the West Coast. The 8 hour time difference will seriously impact your sleep patterns for 3-5 days. I only mention this as I went out to Albuquerque (from the UK) for 6 days back in May (to visit my daughter who was a then student at UNM) and slept terribly for the first 5 nights with long stretches of jet lag insomnia due to the 7 hour time difference. I felt wrecked during the day and would have been in no state to walk 20-25kms a day. I slept like the dead on the 6th night.....

€46,-
Just did it today. Flew into Santiago. Took taxi to bus station. There are about five or six buses a day that go direct to Ferrol. Less than 8 euros.

Lots of good replies given.
Don’t recall seeing anybody telling there are two types of buses to Ferrol.
One stops in all the towns to Ferrol. Kinda of nice for getting a idea of what the walk may be like.

The other is direct route. To get to Ferrol faster catch this one.

Love the CI.

Grew up on n Seville and Ferrol. So, the CI holds a special place in my heart.
Especially seeing the beaches.

Walk safe.
Walk far.
Enjoy

flying into A Coruna is often cheaper than flying to Santiago.

agree what @bronzevernis says about not underestimating jetlag. Consider spending a night in A Coruna and then taking the train to Ferrol from A Coruna next day. Better to spend down time in A Coruna than in Ferrol. Advantage of the train is that you take your rucksack on board, instead of storing it down below on a bus, and worrying about people taking it off at stops before Ferrol. Train also follows much of the Ingles in reverse once you come to Betanzos, so you can see in advance where you are going

Flying back, you can still fly back from A Coruna. Trains leave Santiago almost hourly and the train journey is comfortable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am walking the Madrid as far as Leon, and then have to get to Ferrol to start the Ingles. Any suggestions about getting to Ferrol from Leon?

You can go by train, changing at Betanzos or Ourense which is around 7 hours (not great on Sunday, though)
Or Bus via Oviedo then train
Or train to Ponferrada, short walk to the bus staion then train (this looks like the fastest journey and also the cheapest but the times would have to fit as the bus is at 05:15 on weekdays. Might work if you stayed overnight in Ponferrada)
I found these on Rome2rio

Personally I would get the direct train to A Coruna and either get off in Santiago then get the train to Ferrol, or the bus, which you can get from Santiago (or go to A Coruna and bus from there) The Santiago bus station is a fairish way from the railway station. This option for some strange reason doesn't appear on either trainline or Rome2Rio, you have to look it up as two separate journeys. I haven't bothered with the RENFE site. Bear in mind the timetables change around now, so you will in any case need to look nearish to your journey time. If you happen to be over 60 you can buy a tarjeta dorada for cheaper train travel. You can buy it at the same time as your ticket You need to show your passport for proof of age and it costs about 6 euros. You can't use this with some promo fares.

You can go by train, changing at Betanzos or Ourense which is around 7 hours (not great on Sunday, though)
Or Bus via Oviedo then train
Or train to Ponferrada, short walk to the bus staion then train (this looks like the fastest journey and also the cheapest but the times would have to fit as the bus is at 05:15 on weekdays. Might work if you stayed overnight in Ponferrada)
I found these on Rome2rio

Personally I would get the direct train to A Coruna and either get off in Santiago then get the train to Ferrol, or the bus, which you can get from Santiago (or go to A Coruna and bus from there) The Santiago bus station is a fairish way from the railway station. This option for some strange reason doesn't appear on either trainline or Rome2Rio, you have to look it up as two separate journeys. I haven't bothered with the RENFE site. Bear in mind the timetables change around now, so you will in any case need to look nearish to your journey time. If you happen to be over 60 you can buy a tarjeta dorada for cheaper train travel. You can buy it at the same time as your ticket You need to show your passport for proof of age and it costs about 6 euros. You can't use this with some promo fares.
Thanks for the comprehensive advice Barbara

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm flying to A Coruna from Madrid to walk the Inglis. Not sure whether to stay a night in A Coruna or in Ferrol ,or both as I will still be getting over the long flight from Australia. Anyone stayed in both and can help me decide,thanks?

They are both small to medium towns, either would have suitable accommodation. I'd go for staying in A Coruña if flying in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm flying to A Coruna from Madrid to walk the Inglis. Not sure whether to stay a night in A Coruna or in Ferrol ,or both as I will still be getting over the long flight from Australia. Anyone stayed in both and can help me decide,thanks?

Just walked Sept 2019, Spent one night in A Coruna center then took the train to Ferrol. It was a nice walk to the station which was clean and modern. Train ride was just long enough...we did see one or two pilgrims walking as we shushed by. Consider staying at the parador in Ferrol. It was rather lovely, not too too expensive ( probably the only parador I'll ever be able to afford! ) , good location to ground yourself from surroundings and to start from. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) ) Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any...
Hi! would arrive by train from Madrid at 23:22 at Ferrol station and from there heading to the parador ferrol (solo female traveler). Is taxi widely available? should i arrange the parador to send...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.