• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to send bags ahead

msmasri

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015
I have heard that you can send your backpack ahead if the load gets to heavy, from time to time. Does anyone have experience doing this? I assume that you need to know where you are staying in the next town or do you send the bag(s) to the post office? Any information would be helpful.
Sincerely,
Mona

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have heard that you can send your backpack ahead if the load gets to heavy, from time to time. Does anyone have experience doing this? I assume that you need to know where you are staying in the next town or do you send the bag(s) to the post office? Any information would be helpful.
Sincerely,
Mona
Which Camino are you planning to walk? I have used the backpack transport on Frances and Norte so far.

There is daily transport service for those who could not carry their pack. So, you decide where (town/alberque) you want to stay next night and arrange for transport by filling up a tag (name, destination, contact etc.) and leave the exact money in the tag/envelope at the reception in the morning. Some alberques would call to secure a pick up.

You can also send stuff you don't need during your walk to a final destination. You have to contact the transport service provider and make an arrangement. Most people send their travel bags to santiago. @ivar , this forum moderator also has a storage service in sdc.

If you tell us which camino you are planning, i can give you specific information.

Sincerely,
Mona
How wonderful. I am traveling the Camino Frances. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How wonderful. I am traveling the Camino Frances. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Are you looking to have your backpack transported on a when needed basis? Or trying to send unwanted stuff to your final destination? Where are you starting?

The most popular one is Jacotrans. You can browse through their website to see the type of services they offer.

The alberque/hostels you are staying in will have the forms/tags needed to arrange the transport. So, ask for that when you arrive at the reception.

If you are starting at sjpdp, ask for transport at the center where you get your crudentials. I started using the transport from Orisson, my 1st stop.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Are you looking to have your backpack transported on a when needed basis? Or trying to send unwanted stuff to your final destination? Where are you starting?

The most popular one is Jacotrans. You can browse through their website to see the type of services they offer.

The alberque/hostels you are staying in will have the forms/tags needed to arrange the transport. So, ask for that when you arrive at the reception.

If you are starting at sjpdp, ask for transport at the center where you get your crudentials. I started using the transport from Orisson, my 1st stop.

Buen camino.
I am looking to have my backpack transported on an as needed basis but I think it will be most of the time as my knees can't carry a lot of weight. I plan on starting in Pamplona but wasn't going to stay in an auberge the first night. Do I need to be staying in an auberge to use the service? Do you know approximately how much it costs each time? I will look at Jacotrans website as well. Thank you so much!!

I am looking to have my backpack transported on an as needed basis but I think it will be most of the time as my knees can't carry a lot of weight. I plan on starting in Pamplona but wasn't going to stay in an auberge the first night. Do I need to be staying in an auberge to use the service? Do you know approximately how much it costs each time? I will look at Jacotrans website as well. Thank you so much!!
I ended up using their service the whole time. It makes the long walk more enjoyable. The service costs 5-7 euros per day for most of the walk and as you near sdc it goes as low as 3 euros.
You don't have to stay in an alberque to use the service. If the hotel you are staying does not have the tag/envelope then you have to contact jacotrans and arrange the pickup.
How is your Spanish?
Are you going to have a smartphone and access to email. If so, you can also email them daily and confirm the pickup.
Why don't you email them now to make contact and let them know when/where you are arriving to start with.
They do respond in english i think.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I ended up using their service the whole time. It makes the long walk more enjoyable. The service costs 5-7 euros per day for most of the walk and as you near sdc it goes as low as 3 euros.
You don't have to stay in an alberque to use the service. If the hotel you are staying does not have the tag/envelope then you have to contact jacotrans and arrange the pickup.
How is your Spanish?
Are you going to have a smartphone and access to email. If so, you can also email them daily and confirm the pickup.
Why don't you email them now to make contact and let them know when/where you are arriving to start with.
They do respond in english i think.
- thanks. That is a great idea. I will contact them now. My Spanish isn't very good but I can figure out what they are saying.
thanks again for the advice!
sincerely,
Mona

Sincerely,
Mona
I used this service myself and can highly recommend it a real life saver for me as I am a small petite woman. I carried my heavy load of 10 kg for more than one week until I found out about it. Doing my second camino again starting July 4th 2015., from SJPP. Buen camino

We used Jacotrans for bag transport - excellent service. They have envelopes in almost every albergue/hotel - you would need to call them the night before if you think you are the only person in the albergue who has a bag to collect so they'll know to call there - you just attach the envelope to the bag and it's €7 per bag for 15kg max. and 30km max. You can also open an online account and edit it as you go along on their website...we used this last time.....very convenient - you can pay then online also....it's probably more useful if you have at least the next 5/6 days planned ahead. I also discovered on our recent Camino trip that you don't necessarily have to have a specific albergue/hotel booked in the next town...you can send your bag to any albergue and collect it there but you don't necessarily have to stay there - it's a kind of unwritten arrangement between albergues. We met a couple who used send on their bag and often arrived to the albergue to collect the bag but maybe didn't stay there if they didn't have a private room available or whatever so they just went around the town to finad another place. On another occasion the couple changed plans and decided to walk on a few extra kms to the next town after collecting their bags - ok, they had to carry the bags for those few kms but it was better than carrying them all day! It's very straight forward and reliable service anyway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I understand from a recent Mundicamino bulletin (mundicamino.com/boletin/?p=648) that the Correos is offering a new range of services for pilgrims that include pack transport. The web link provided is www.elcaminoconcorreos.com.

Last edited:
Great service. Used it everyday with no problems. Arranged through our hotel the evening before.

Great service. Used it everyday with no problems. Arranged through our hotel the evening before.
Was that the Correos or Jacotrans? I haven't seem much commentary on the Correos service, which I thought was relatively new, and would be interested if that is what you used.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We have been using Jacotrans each step of the way so far (we're now in Logroño) and they've been great, totally reliable. I have been booking a few days ahead each time using their online form and pre-paying with credit card. Couldn't be easier as we're also booking a few nights ahead with our accommodation, but I've seen the envelopes everywhere we've stayed so it would be just as easy to do it a day at a time.

I understand from a recent Mundicamino bulletin (mundicamino.com/boletin/?p=648) that the Correos is offering a new range of services for pilgrims that include pack transport. The web link provided is www.elcaminoconcorreos.com.

I've seen cards advertising this service too, usually next to the Jacotrans envelopes! Haven't used them though. There are other companies advertising similar services too, hotels and casas rurales where we've been staying (I imagine private albergues too) usually have a bunch of cards and brochures and are very helpful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.