• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am all sorted for beds until I get to Pamplona, is that enough planning?

grumpygit

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
I am arriving in SJPDP this coming Thursday morning(11th) and start my pilgrimage Friday morning.
I have a bed for SJPDP and I am in the process in the next 20 minutes of also booking a bed for Roncesvalli and the next night in Zubri.
I have heard things are very busy and have a friend in England who has a cousin near Leon who also has a albergue and she also says things are busy.
I am hoping that I will get a good start with my first 3 days walking now planned and then by the time I get to Pamplona I can start playing it by ear and hopefully I would have met some helpful pilgrims/friends.

I really do not want this over planned and that is part of the experience for me, have I done enough for now?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Alit are booking ahead but we have seen plenty of pilgrims playing it by ear, there are beds. It may be your comfort level in finding rooms each night that decides to reserve or not.

Depends. Pamplona can book out very quickly if there’s a festival or public holiday. And if there is, your options will be hotels, well out of the centre and a lot more expensive than any albergue. So, just check what’s going on in Pamplona at the time of your arrival and book/plan accordingly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am arriving in SJPDP this coming Thursday morning(11th) and start my pilgrimage Friday morning.
I have a bed for SJPDP and I am in the process in the next 20 minutes of also booking a bed for Roncesvalli and the next night in Zubri.
I have heard things are very busy and have a friend in England who has a cousin near Leon who also has a albergue and she also says things are busy.
I am hoping that I will get a good start with my first 3 days walking now planned and then by the time I get to Pamplona I can start playing it by ear and hopefully I would have met some helpful pilgrims/friends.

I really do not want this over planned and that is part of the experience for me, have I done enough for now?
Really best plan is no plan but with it being so busy so far this year I would be booking 2 days ahead all time .I've found it more relaxing knowing I've reserved a bed ahead let's you take a more leisurely pace and enjoy the country views etc more .I'm leaving Pamplona this year to Astorga to enjoy another Camino in this fantastic country.Buen Camino.

Really best plan is no plan but with it being so busy so far this year I would be booking 2 days ahead all time .I've found it more relaxing knowing I've reserved a bed ahead let's you take a more leisurely pace and enjoy the country views etc more .I'm leaving Pamplona this year to Astorga to enjoy another Camino in this fantastic country.Buen Camino.
Yep I have just been thinking the same thing:)
Looks like there are some OK places just on the outskirts

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just because it's busy now in Leon doesn't mean it's going to be busy when you get there. My suggestion is to book the first 3 nights. If Zubiri is all jammed up with pilgrims on the night before Pamplona, then book Puente la Reina on the night after Pamplona. How can you tell if Zubiri is all booked up. There will be pilgrims walking around Zubiri trying to find a bed. I met two ladies that came late and couldn't find a bed. They even called Larrasoana, and they were filled. Not sure what happened to the two ladies. Maybe they took a taxi to Pamplona

Just be aware that since you are starting on a weekend, that there may be more pilgrims walking than if you started on a Tuesday or Wednesday. If you find yourself in a "wave" of pilgrims you may need to speed up or slow down to avoid the "stage" towns where lots of pilgrims are staying.

Just be aware that since you are starting on a weekend, that there may be more pilgrims walking than if you started on a Tuesday or Wednesday. If you find yourself in a "wave" of pilgrims you may need to speed up or slow down to avoid the "stage" towns where lots of pilgrims are staying.
Or just change your stop points. Not being hamstrung by reservations, or catching up to a pack that was sent ahead, can be very liberating. If you get to the "stage town" and it's too early to stop, you don't have to. If you find your day has gone slower than expected, you don't have to kill yourself making it to the preplanned place. If you discover that you would like to be in Santiago a day or two earlier than planned, perhaps because you'd like to be there the weekend of Corpus Christi, you can go a little farther several days in advance, and have flexibility to change your mind later.
Can you tell I'm not one of the people who wants to have reservations a long ways ahead? Though I am in favor of calling ahead when approaching a large city. YMMV.
BC

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I book the day before, sometimes have to call a couple of places but always found a bed. Am now in Naverette day 9.

I am travelling alone but ringing one day ahead always found a bed. Now day 9 in Navarette

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back