• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Experience Walking the Via De La Plata during Covid-19

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
Hi to all my friends here on the forum. I have been gone awhile.
Every time I start writing about my Via De La Plata experience my mind fogs over.
Let me start this time by adding caveats that will help I hope.
Most importantly I think my experience because of Covid and the number of places that were closed and the number of kitchens that we had no access to and it being hotter at the beginning than I thought it would be may signal that my camino would have been different in some respects if I had walked during a non "Covid" time. However that may be defined in the future.
I started with my friend Anya in mid October from Sevilla. The walk out of the beautiful city of Sevilla was anything but beautiful but that is how things go leaving big cities. We walked to Guillena and stayed at Albergue Luz del Camino and it was clean and comfortable and the kitchen was open and Anya made us a nice dinner. I thought this is good, the municipals look like they are mostly closed but the private albergues are open and so are the kitchens. The open kitchens would turn out to be the exception not the rule. So it added a little stress for me that as I walk on a budget I found in many places I had to stay in hostels or pensions that often at least doubled what I would normally pay for my sleeping.
I also had major stomach issues that were misdiagnosed before I left from home in Mexico. I was taking antibiotics for what was thought to be a parasite or infection. Literally the day before I left I received word that it wasn't either of those things and was told to go to a Gastroenterologist. Too late for that and I said I will figure it out when I am in Spain. I can tell you the first 10 days or so I fertilized more than a few olive trees. I went to two doctors in hospital in Monesterio and they couldn't have been bigger jerks. Neither one would even examine me let alone offer a diagnosis or treatment. In Zafra I was misdiagnosed again. In Merida I saw a wonderful young doctor who put me through a battery of tests, and when he called me into his office he told me I needed to go on a strict diet for a week. RIce, chicken breast, white fish, apples, bananas etc. He basically said that the diet the doctor the Zafra doctor wanted me to be on was fine for an 80 year old who only walks to the bathroom. So from the beginning of the Camino I was carrying about 5 extra pounds between the water and the food as there were so few towns on the stages we walked. As you know sometimes none. No place to sit except on my backpack which was uncomfortable to say the least especially given my delicate condition, haha. I had to find places that would let me at least cook some rice which often the people in the hostel or albergue would oblige but I had to carry even more weight from Zafra because I had a really large tupperware container with my food. That pretty much doubled my weight to about 10 pounds. I just ate the food I cooked from Zafra for another 10 days or so. Rice, apples and bananas can get pretty heavy along with your water.
It was difficult getting into a rhythm when i walked carrying a large cloth Decathlon bag filled with all that stuff.
Anya and I used to marvel that we never saw anyone on the Camino but some days early on the albergues or a pension we tried to stay at would be full. Is it the bed limits? No we discovered for some reason there would be these minivans full of 10-15 people walking short stretches and getting back on their buses only to have reservations at the albergue we tried to stay at. If things were open as normal I am sure this would not have been an issue and we would not have even noticed the part time holiday walkers.
Walking early on in the heat was tough for me as I had to drink alot of water because of my stomach and the heat to avoid dehydration. It also seemed like every time I wanted to take a break there would be no shade or comfortable resting place anywhere.
I did have many wonderful stretches during the day of complete quiet and solitude which I love. Even though the countryside is often monotonous early on I didn't mind that at all. It is what the VDLP is all about and what I was looking for. But day after day things would come up from my past experiences and pains that of course can effect all pilgrims. I try to let those things pass and not dwell on them on other caminos. I have always had the philosophy that many of the troubles and conflicts we have in life, especially after 67 years are best dealt with by just letting them go and forgiving yourself or others or both. This time, and I do not know why I held on to my sh*t too long and couldn't see to let things go. I am still struggling some even though It is now 6 weeks since I am back.
Of course the Spanish people I met who owned or worked in albergues or some of the restaurants and bars were warm and generous to us pilgrims. But generally speaking outside of "pilgrim" settings for the most part shop owners, bar owners and generally people didn't really care one way or the other for pilgrims. I do not know if this was because of the pandemic, or because so few pilgrims walk this route we have no economic significance or it was just me. The few pilgrims I met for more than a chance meeting along the camino or in a bed in an albergue seemed to agree with this assessment.
After the weather cooled off and we were getting into November
In Salamanca we talked to the hospitaleria in the donativo. We were asking if the albergue and donativo situation on the Sanabria was going to be any better or as we were in November would it get worse. She said it would get worse. Anja decided that she didn't want to stay and walk the Sanabria and we got to Zamora she would go to Ponferrada where she had to stop her last camino because of illness. I was going to continue on but I knew my costs would be lower and things would be alot easier infrastructure wise so I walked on to Astorga. We never saw each other after Zamora but she gave me some great albergue recommendations! I really liked walking with her.
One moment that made us both laugh hysterically and confirmed to us that yes pilgrims aren't a priority was when we were leaving Salamanca it started to rain really hard. We ran across the street on this big boulevard to duck into a bar and have coffee and tostada. (Oh yea lots of bars on the way had nothing to eat in the morning except pan tostada or some pretty weak looking day old tapas) When we were finished we weren't sure which way to walk. I asked the owner and 2 men sitting next to him, then extended my question to the 4 or 5 others at the bar. When I asked El Camino es izquierda o directo? Que Camino? Camino Via de La Plata. We were met by shrugs and grunts!!!! Gotta love that moment.
I often had problems getting into my groove because of my physical struggles and often a lack of being able to rest properly during the day. This was my 6th camino and in so many ways it was the greatest struggle for me even though it is not a very difficult camino to walk. It was the lack of companionship at night as often I was in a single tiny room. I know many like their privacy but I would much rather be in an albergue or donativo and feel and share the energy and happiness or pain or other pilgrims, have interesting conversations, laugh and meet interesting people and share a dinner in the albergue or a beer or coke. I would get depressed in those little rooms.
Once again I think my camino is by far the exception and not the rule. I believe those who have walked in the past or those who walk in the future would have or will have a very different experience than I had.
Anja really did not like her VDLP experience. i tried to look at it as unique and just added to my collective camino conscientiousness. I am not sorry I walked and would not have changed anything about it except the many extra trips to the cajero to get money. I am also convinced that one thing that makes the camino so unique is that starting a camino 2 or 3 days before or after your real start date can mean a very different camino experience. In the people you meet, in the amount of people walking in the general geographic area close to you and the weather. It is just one of those things.
When I got to the CF the more familiar camino experience quickly engulfed me.
I was looking for a more solitude and personal experience and the Camino delivered that for me on the VDLP. I never have expectations but the experience was so unique and so different I still do not know what to make of it.
It also gave me an appreciation of what i tended to forget about the CF. It may be alot more crowded especially after Sarria but you do have at your fingertips and hugs the best opportunity to meet some of the most wonderful people on earth. We need people like pilgrims especially in these times of chaos and madness.
I did walk to Muxia and and on to Fisterra. It was a wonderful close to my camino and I must say it was my first time walking to Muxia and third time in Fisterra and I would highly recommend walking to Muxia. It is beautiful also and I really liked the town of Muxia more. Go to both and see for yourself. Good to be back with you and thanks for listening or reading my ramblings.
If you want to go on the VDLP I would say do it and have your own experience and make your own memories.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well done! You certainly found and experienced the VdlP, also known as El Camino Duro (The Hard Way) 😁

It is a lonely way, but judging by my own experience walking it, you had more than your fair share of hardship and loneliness. But it a fantastic walk, and a smart move to go to Astorga in these Covid times.

After many caminos, the CF remains my favorite exactly for the reasons you point out.

Edit: But I truly do not regret that I walked it: A great experience!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Your account illustrates well, that we should leave our expectations at home and accept we need to let our camino experience unfold as it will.

At times on the VDLP, I too felt that it was a long and lonely road. But I had good health, good companions and apart from two days of snow, mostly good weather. I have lovely, happy memories of it.. cooking together and sharing was a big part of it.

It does sound like it was an endurance for you and I'm sorry that your experience wasn't as good as you'd hoped. But you persevered and in your position, I'm sure I wouldnt have coped as well. Well done to you!

Your account illustrates well, that we should leave our expectations at home and accept we need to let our camino experience unfold as it will.

At times on the VDLP, I too felt that it was a long and lonely road. But I had good health, good companions and apart from two days of snow, mostly good weather. I have lovely, happy memories of it.. cooking together and sharing was a big part of it.

It does sound like it was an endurance for you and I'm sorry that your experience wasn't as good as you'd hoped. But you persevered and in your position, I'm sure I wouldnt have coped as well. Well done to you!
You are so right about expectations and I also leave my expectations at the door as much as possible. After all on the camino as in life all we have is the step we are taking. Thanks for your kind words.

I had the feeling after VdlP that I never needed to see another olive tree again in my life,
- But I guess you don´t want to see another cooked chicken no more....

You have been truely tested Amigo, well done !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for checking in and telling us about your experience. I hope you are recovered now!
pilgrims aren't a priority
The Via de la Plata does not pamper its pilgrims! But that can be part of the attraction, provided that you are physically healthy and prepared for a certain kind of self-sufficiency. I felt that I was in Spain, able to observe it.

Sorry to hear about your health issues - that in itself would have been a real challenge on any Camino route. And when we are not physically well, we often need some pampering, rather than having to deal with additional complications of food supply and Covid-related limitations.

On my first attempt at the VDLP, I was walking with a relative who had some health issues. After a couple of days, I decided that we should get a bus to Leon and walk from there on the Frances, so we would have the comfort of knowing that there was much better infrastructure and flexibility. Then we were able to relax more and we had a great walk from Leon to Santiago. That sounds like what you were able to do in the end, so congratulations on the happy finish!

I also had major stomach issues that were misdiagnosed before I left from home in Mexico. I was taking antibiotics for what was thought to be a parasite or infection. Literally the day before I left I received word that it wasn't either of those things and was told to go to a Gastroenterologist. Too late for that and I said I will figure it out when I am in Spain. I can tell you the first 10 days or so I fertilized more than a few olive trees.
Thank you for this honest, detailed information. I really like olives, but from now on I'll stay away if I ever walk the VdlP one more time...:cool:

Every time I start writing about my Via De La Plata experience my mind fogs over.
Most importantly I think my experience because of Covid and the number of places that were closed and the number of kitchens that we had no access to and it being hotter at the beginning than I thought it would be may signal that my camino would have been different in some respects if I had walked during a non "Covid" time. However that may be defined in the future.
I started with my friend Anya in mid October from Sevilla. The walk out of the beautiful city of Sevilla was anything but beautiful but that is how things go leaving big cities. We walked to Guillena and stayed at Albergue Luz del Camino and it was clean and comfortable and the kitchen was open and Anya made us a nice dinner. I thought this is good, the municipals look like they are mostly closed but the private albergues are open and so are the kitchens. The open kitchens would turn out to be the exception not the rule. So it added a little stress for me that as I walk on a budget I found in many places I had to stay in hostels or pensions that often at least doubled what I would normally pay for my sleeping.
I also had major stomach issues that were misdiagnosed before I left from home in Mexico. I was taking antibiotics for what was thought to be a parasite or infection. Literally the day before I left I received word that it wasn't either of those things and was told to go to a Gastroenterologist. Too late for that and I said I will figure it out when I am in Spain. I can tell you the first 10 days or so I fertilized more than a few olive trees. I went to two doctors in hospital in Monesterio and they couldn't have been bigger jerks. Neither one would even examine me let alone offer a diagnosis or treatment. In Zafra I was misdiagnosed again. In Merida I saw a wonderful young doctor who put me through a battery of tests, and when he called me into his office he told me I needed to go on a strict diet for a week. RIce, chicken breast, white fish, apples, bananas etc. He basically said that the diet the doctor the Zafra doctor wanted me to be on was fine for an 80 year old who only walks to the bathroom. So from the beginning of the Camino I was carrying about 5 extra pounds between the water and the food as there were so few towns on the stages we walked. As you know sometimes none. No place to sit except on my backpack which was uncomfortable to say the least especially given my delicate condition, haha. I had to find places that would let me at least cook some rice which often the people in the hostel or albergue would oblige but I had to carry even more weight from Zafra because I had a really large tupperware container with my food. That pretty much doubled my weight to about 10 pounds. I just ate the food I cooked from Zafra for another 10 days or so. Rice, apples and bananas can get pretty heavy along with your water.
It was difficult getting into a rhythm when i walked carrying a large cloth Decathlon bag filled with all that stuff.
Anya and I used to marvel that we never saw anyone on the Camino but some days early on the albergues or a pension we tried to stay at would be full. Is it the bed limits? No we discovered for some reason there would be these minivans full of 10-15 people walking short stretches and getting back on their buses only to have reservations at the albergue we tried to stay at. If things were open as normal I am sure this would not have been an issue and we would not have even noticed the part time holiday walkers.
Walking early on in the heat was tough for me as I had to drink alot of water because of my stomach and the heat to avoid dehydration. It also seemed like every time I wanted to take a break there would be no shade or comfortable resting place anywhere.
I did have many wonderful stretches during the day of complete quiet and solitude which I love. Even though the countryside is often monotonous early on I didn't mind that at all. It is what the VDLP is all about and what I was looking for. But day after day things would come up from my past experiences and pains that of course can effect all pilgrims. I try to let those things pass and not dwell on them on other caminos. I have always had the philosophy that many of the troubles and conflicts we have in life, especially after 67 years are best dealt with by just letting them go and forgiving yourself or others or both. This time, and I do not know why I held on to my sh*t too long and couldn't see to let things go. I am still struggling some even though It is now 6 weeks since I am back.
Of course the Spanish people I met who owned or worked in albergues or some of the restaurants and bars were warm and generous to us pilgrims. But generally speaking outside of "pilgrim" settings for the most part shop owners, bar owners and generally people didn't really care one way or the other for pilgrims. I do not know if this was because of the pandemic, or because so few pilgrims walk this route we have no economic significance or it was just me. The few pilgrims I met for more than a chance meeting along the camino or in a bed in an albergue seemed to agree with this assessment.
In Salamanca we talked to the hospitaleria in the donativo. We were asking if the albergue and donativo situation on the Sanabria was going to be any better or as we were in November would it get worse. She said it would get worse. Anja decided that she didn't want to stay and walk the Sanabria and we got to Zamora she would go to Ponferrada where she had to stop her last camino because of illness. I was going to continue on but I knew my costs would be lower and things would be alot easier infrastructure wise so I walked on to Astorga. We never saw each other after Zamora but she gave me some great albergue recommendations! I really liked walking with her.
One moment that made us both laugh hysterically and confirmed to us that yes pilgrims aren't a priority was when we were leaving Salamanca it started to rain really hard. We ran across the street on this big boulevard to duck into a bar and have coffee and tostada. (Oh yea lots of bars on the way had nothing to eat in the morning except pan tostada or some pretty weak looking day old tapas) When we were finished we weren't sure which way to walk. I asked the owner and 2 men sitting next to him, then extended my question to the 4 or 5 others at the bar. When I asked El Camino es izquierda o directo? Que Camino? Camino Via de La Plata. We were met by shrugs and grunts!!!! Gotta love that moment.
I often had problems getting into my groove because of my physical struggles and often a lack of being able to rest properly during the day. This was my 6th camino and in so many ways it was the greatest struggle for me even though it is not a very difficult camino to walk. It was the lack of companionship at night as often I was in a single tiny room. I know many like their privacy but I would much rather be in an albergue or donativo and feel and share the energy and happiness or pain or other pilgrims, have interesting conversations, laugh and meet interesting people and share a dinner in the albergue or a beer or coke. I would get depressed in those little rooms.
Once again I think my camino is by far the exception and not the rule. I believe those who have walked in the past or those who walk in the future would have or will have a very different experience than I had.
Anja really did not like her VDLP experience. i tried to look at it as unique and just added to my collective camino conscientiousness. I am not sorry I walked and would not have changed anything about it except the many extra trips to the cajero to get money. I am also convinced that one thing that makes the camino so unique is that starting a camino 2 or 3 days before or after your real start date can mean a very different camino experience. In the people you meet, in the amount of people walking in the general geographic area close to you and the weather. It is just one of those things.
I was looking for a more solitude and personal experience and the Camino delivered that for me on the VDLP. I never have expectations but the experience was so unique and so different I still do not know what to make of it.
It also gave me an appreciation of what i tended to forget about the CF. It may be alot more crowded especially after Sarria but you do have at your fingertips and hugs the best opportunity to meet some of the most wonderful people on earth. We need people like pilgrims especially in these times of chaos and madness.
I did walk to Muxia and and on to Fisterra. It was a wonderful close to my camino and I must say it was my first time walking to Muxia and third time in Fisterra and I would highly recommend walking to Muxia. It is beautiful also and I really liked the town of Muxia more. Go to both and see for yourself. Good to be back with you and thanks for listening or reading my ramblings.
If you want to go on the VDLP I would say do it and have your own experience and make your own memories.
Thank you!

Buen Camino. I enjoyed reading your story.

€46,-
I have been so anxious to hear about your Camino. I’m sorry you had GI issues to contend with. I found your final observations on the CF especially poignant. When you’re able I’d love to catch up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It was great to read your very moving account of walking the VdLP! I was just a little bit of head of you, finishing in late October from Sevilla. I very much related to most your experiences (except for your GI issues). For me, the VdLP was also my 6th Camino and at age 74, I’m very grateful for all my experiences and lessons along the way. I agree that walking the Plata, especially in the time of COVID presented unique challenges and rewards! Thanks again for posting your story 🙏

Appreciate the candidness of your post and the reality of the struggles of walking any Camino...VDLP included. Sorry about the physical ailments and the odd environment the pandemic has shrouded the world with. You certainly expressed the reality of both of those too. God bless...t

Thank you for your very thoughtful and insightful report for us.

I hope you have your stomach health issues well and truely under control now.

There might be a few farmers scratching their heads wondering why this olive tree and that olive tree, three kilometres down the road, is growing and fruiting much better than the hundreds of others around it. 😂

Recover, take care and plan your next Camino!

Cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is not surprising, the gap between finishing your camino and writing and posting your account. Your candid account. Time will add more nuances as you recover from it all. I was particularly struck by a line in your response to a post above: After all on the camino as in life all we have is the step we are taking.
A painful visit to the dentist soon recedes, and I hope your happy memories help the uncomfortable ones to sink away...
I am truly envious of your achievement. Thank you for what you wrote.

I walked from Cadiz with a friend starting in mid August. Our experiences were much the same as yours. Between Cadiz and Astorga, we did not see 15 other pilgrims. Luckily, there were 4 wonderful people that we walked with for part of the time. The amenities along the trail were almost nonexistent. It made for a very quiet, reflective camino which I really enjoyed, but costs were considerably higher due to the closure of all the municipal albergues. Your comments about the average local were bang on. If they were providing some kind of service for pilgrims, they were extremely friendly, but otherwise, they could not have been less helpful. Once we got to Sarria, it was almost like being assaulted with crowds. Did not enjoy that stretch( 3rd time) much at all. Overall, it was a great experience, but would not recommend to anyone who does not like solitude. Perhaps it might have been very different in a non-covid year.

I have the great good fortune to live 100 km north west of Seville and I really love the city. When Covid scuppered my 2020 plans to walk the VdlP I was very disappointed. I have always been rather perplexed by the majority of peregrinos' negative comments about the first day walk out of Seville so I took advantage of the Memsahib's plans for a girlie shopping trip to Seville get a lift with her to La Algaba to walk into the city to see what was so bad. I really enjoyed it - there was a variety of countryside and town and of course the fabulous first 3 km walking out of the old city. There is the blackspot of the extended industrial estate between Camas and Santiponce but then you get the bonus of Italica and then the countryside....don't get it. Anyone who has walked the Mozarabe out of Granada knows about walking all day out of an urban conglomerate. By the way I saw 5 peregrinos going the right way in my 2 hour walk - more than I expected - all lookwed rather shocked to get a "Buen Camino" -tee hee.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have been so anxious to hear about your Camino. I’m sorry you had GI issues to contend with. I found your final observations on the CF especially poignant. When you’re able I’d love to catch up.
Your experience of the VDLP concerns me a little as I found the Camino del Norte quiet enough after France and Portugal and I’m walking the VDLP in April and I’m now wondering if it will be too quiet. I’m glad I’m only walking as far as Caceres, if it’s that isolated. I didn’t think you were rambling but giving a very honest account of your experience and I believe your health problems must have been very trying on such an isolated Camino. Funnily enough I had the same experience in Portugal when I asked a waiter for directions, he just said if he was in my country and he asked me where the Camino was… you get the gist. The arrow was just across the road from his bar! Thank you for your insight, it will help me with my preparations.

Your experience of the VDLP concerns me a little as I found the Camino del Norte quiet enough after France and Portugal and I’m walking the VDLP in April and I’m now wondering if it will be too quiet. I’m glad I’m only walking as far as Caceres, if it’s that isolated. I didn’t think you were rambling but giving a very honest account of your experience and I believe your health problems must have been very trying on such an isolated Camino. Funnily enough I had the same experience in Portugal when I asked a waiter for directions, he just said if he was in my country and he asked me where the Camino was… you get the gist. The arrow was just across the road from his bar! Thank you for your insight, it will help me with my preparations.
Hi Juno... I am also starting from Seville in April (8th) and this thread has me a bit concerned too about the isolation etc. I do appreciate the honest account of the OP's experience though. But I'm still thinking I'll stick with my original plan and tackle this Camino. If it's really not my thing after an honest long stretch I can always change my mind. But it has been drawing me in. Good luck and maybe we'll meet up along the walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Juno... I am also starting from Seville in April (8th) and this thread has me a bit concerned too about the isolation etc. I do appreciate the honest account of the OP's experience though. But I'm still thinking I'll stick with my original plan and tackle this Camino. If it's really not my thing after an honest long stretch I can always change my mind. But it has been drawing me in. Good luck and maybe we'll meet up along the walk.
yes, you are absolutely right to give it a go as I will. I’m starting on the 21st April but hopefully you will find someone in the date section starting at the same time as you. It will be Spring so we should see lots of beautiful flowers along the way. I’m definitely taking something to sit on as it56ny mentioned there was nothing to rest on. (nice tip)! The other thing I have to control when walking on my own, is the urge to get to the next stage without resting enough. Buen Camino maruska89!

yes, you are absolutely right to give it a go as I will. I’m starting on the 21st April but hopefully you will find someone in the date section starting at the same time as you. It will be Spring so we should see lots of beautiful flowers along the way. I’m definitely taking something to sit on as it56ny mentioned there was nothing to rest on. (nice tip)! The other thing I have to control when walking on my own, is the urge to get to the next stage without resting enough. Buen Camino maruska89!
Thanks Juno for the encouragement and positivity. Yes it will be very important to rest enough during the long days of walking. The sit "pad" advice is great. I use one for hiking and hadn't thought to bring it on the camino but will now. It's getting much closer now.. getting excited. Buen Camino, Mary

Thanks for checking in and telling us about your experience. I hope you are recovered now!

The Via de la Plata does not pamper its pilgrims! But that can be part of the attraction, provided that you are physically healthy and prepared for a certain kind of self-sufficiency. I felt that I was in Spain, able to observe it.

Sorry to hear about your health issues - that in itself would have been a real challenge on any Camino route. And when we are not physically well, we often need some pampering, rather than having to deal with additional complications of food supply and Covid-related limitations.

On my first attempt at the VDLP, I was walking with a relative who had some health issues. After a couple of days, I decided that we should get a bus to Leon and walk from there on the Frances, so we would have the comfort of knowing that there was much better infrastructure and flexibility. Then we were able to relax more and we had a great walk from Leon to Santiago. That sounds like what you were able to do in the end, so congratulations on the happy finish!
Thanks C clearly. I can tell you that this is not the first time I have had health issues on the camino. But after my first physical challenge on my first camino I vowed there is nothing short of death ;) that will short circuit my camino. (One of these days if we are ever on a zoom again I can tell you the story about the hospital in Burgos, the head of emergency room/general surgery and me.
When I realized how "unfriendly" the VDLP was to pilgrims I would laugh inside when I would be treated at best like just a patron or as part of the furniture. You know what I found out was that I remember that there were still lots of really warm and caring people I met along the way who reaffirmed my faith in people each time. Unlike other caminos that have grown and thrived (Just look at the Meseta over the years) this is a camino where a shop or bar owner's economic health has nothing whatsoever to do with pilgrims.
In a way this can be highlighted by my Medical treatment. The first doctors I went to could not have cared less about me or trying to seek a diagnosis. It was not until that young Doctor who after I told my tale of woe to said I wasn't leaving the hospital until he figured out what was wrong with me. 7 or so hours with me, 3 or 4 blood tests and sonograms later he brought me in the office and gave me a detailed report of my condition. Between his English and my Spanish and thankfully (I was a pharmaceutical rep) and many, many medical terms in Spanish are similar to the words in English I knew exactly what was going on. Change in diet. That was it and a detailed list of what I could eat and what I should avoid. He took into consideration that I would be walking long distances and that choices some days would be very limited.
He did the right thing for me.
You did the right thing when you took that bus to Leon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will call you very soon to chat. Maybe even today!

Muchas gracias for your detailed and candid assessment of the Via de la Plata. I was long planning to walk it last September - October but health and age issues "forced" me to walk the Frances instead. Which I found delightful. Buen Camino
If your health issues are resolved and things open up again in terms of the VDLP infrastructure I would say you should not give up walking the VDLP. If you can walk the CF you can walk the VDLP. Physically not tougher at all. Comfort wise yes more difficult. You may be surprised what you may find all alone out there among the olive trees, the dogs the size of elephants and the pigs!

It was great to read your very moving account of walking the VdLP! I was just a little bit of head of you, finishing in late October from Sevilla. I very much related to most your experiences (except for your GI issues). For me, the VdLP was also my 6th Camino and at age 74, I’m very grateful for all my experiences and lessons along the way. I agree that walking the Plata, especially in the time of COVID presented unique challenges and rewards! Thanks again for posting your story 🙏
Thanks and we have one thing that forever binds us. The VDLP was both of ours 6th camino! We both made it and are better Pilgrims for it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is not surprising, the gap between finishing your camino and writing and posting your account. Your candid account. Time will add more nuances as you recover from it all. I was particularly struck by a line in your response to a post above: After all on the camino as in life all we have is the step we are taking.
A painful visit to the dentist soon recedes, and I hope your happy memories help the uncomfortable ones to sink away...
I am truly envious of your achievement. Thank you for what you wrote.
Thank you so much and just head to Sevilla if you can, and take that step.

I have the great good fortune to live 100 km north west of Seville and I really love the city. When Covid scuppered my 2020 plans to walk the VdlP I was very disappointed. I have always been rather perplexed by the majority of peregrinos' negative comments about the first day walk out of Seville so I took advantage of the Memsahib's plans for a girlie shopping trip to Seville get a lift with her to La Algaba to walk into the city to see what was so bad. I really enjoyed it - there was a variety of countryside and town and of course the fabulous first 3 km walking out of the old city. There is the blackspot of the extended industrial estate between Camas and Santiponce but then you get the bonus of Italica and then the countryside....don't get it. Anyone who has walked the Mozarabe out of Granada knows about walking all day out of an urban conglomerate. By the way I saw 5 peregrinos going the right way in my 2 hour walk - more than I expected - all lookwed rather shocked to get a "Buen Camino" -tee hee.
I missed the early part of the walk in terms of scenery because we left quite early in the morning before it was light. It was going to be over 30C so we wanted to leave early and beat the hot part of the day. There are lots of less than ideal walks into and out of many cities on many caminos. It is just a fact of camino life I guess. It also may have to do with when you walk and maybe your mindset. Possibly walking just for a day and starting out on a 6 or 7 week camino puts you in a different headspace. Who knows but glad you enjoyed your walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a feeling that if COVID is ok in April there will be more pilgrims. Spring seems to be the time to walk for most. I have walked the Norte in October/November and there were far more pilgrims than when I walked. Maybe people who have walked in Spring can add more insight. But I would not be deterred from walking in April.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back