• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ibaneta (Roncesvalles Pass)

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
Anyone has ever taken the route instead of the forrest (or both and can compare) while descending into Roncesvalles from Orisson?
Apparently there is a chapel and a monolith for Roland? Is it worth it or the forrest offers more?
and if you have picture -- the better ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anyone has ever taken the route instead of the forrest (or both and can compare) while descending into Roncesvalles from Orisson?
Apparently there is a chapel and a monolith for Roland? Is it worth it or the forrest offers more?

The chapel, Ermita de San Salvador, is new and on the edge of the N135 road near where you leave France at
Arnéguy and enter Spain. Walking the verges of this road down to Roncesvalles is much easier than taking the forest trail especially in bad weather.13Ibaneta at last.jpg

Last edited:
Ah :) gorgeous little thing!
So I'm guessing then the infamous 'brigde' or grid in the path like in the photo is seen when walking through the forrest path or is it elsewhere?
9514a2de415135ab6595c793547f9278--pyrenees-route.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah :) gorgeous little thing!
So I'm guessing then the infamous 'brigde' or grid in the path like in the photo is seen when walking through the forrest path or is it elsewhere?
View attachment 45993
This one is on the Napoleon route. It's a cattle grid not really a bridge.

To make it easier:

1.) Napoleon route (https://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/roncesvalles) goes through Huntto and Orisson to Lapoeder Pass (highest point) and on descend you have two options; either go left through the forest (that's what @mspath mentioned not advisable in bad weather) or to the right to Ibaneta Pass. At this point again you have two options for short descend to Roncesvalles; left through the forest or right on the N-135.

2.) Valcarlos route (https://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/valcarlos/roncesvalles) goes through Valcarlos of course :) And again you have two options. Either you stick to the marked Camino or walk on N-135. The Camino is very up&down but the road is very winding and takes more kilometers I think. When you come to the Ibaneta Pass again two options (see above).

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• 0019-fog at Ibaneta Pass (S.Jean Pied de Port-Roncesvalles, 19.05.2009).jpg
    0019-fog at Ibaneta Pass (S.Jean Pied de Port-Roncesvalles, 19.05.2009).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can see a lot of maps, descriptions and comments about this stage -in this forum and other online sites.
Basically, from Saint Jean PP there are two possible routes: by the Valcarlos village (lower, by local roads and a forest) or the Napoleon way (by Orisson, more scenic and difficult). You can also walk the latter and at Lepoeder mountain pass take the paved road to Ibañeta and Roncesvalles (the other option, by the forest, is a beautiful but steep descent). At Lepoeder, the easier way is indicated in a signpost as "Alternativa suave" (literally, "soft option").
Buen camino.

Attachments

• Alternativa suave.png
    Alternativa suave.png
    639.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
View attachment 45993
The grid is just past the ‘fontaine de Roland’ - what the pilgrims are taking pics of on your photo.
When you cross the grid, you are in Spain. :)
I have taken the forest path twice, the first time by mistake :rolleyes:. I loved it, didn’t find it difficult so chose it the second time and .... found it tedious! I thought it went on for ever...(There’s no pleasing some people :D)
The 3rd time it was raining so went by the road. It is a lovely path!
The 4th time, the Pilgrim office in St Jean was warning NOT to take the forest path and as there had been heavy flooding the previous weeks, I headed their advice.

I agree with @domigee, the Lepoeder-Ibañeta section has some very nice views. I post two pics, with the perspective to the right, and to the left of the way (where you can actually see the abbey, in the background).

Attachments

• DSCF3405.JPG
    DSCF3405.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 58
  • DSCF3407.JPG
    DSCF3407.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The grid is just past the ‘fontaine de Roland’ - what the pilgrims are taking pics of on your photo.
When you cross the grid, you are in Spain. :)
I have taken the forest path twice, the first time by mistake :rolleyes:. I loved it, didn’t find it difficult so chose it the second time and .... found it tedious! I thought it went on for ever...(There’s no pleasing some people :D)
The 3rd time it was raining so went by the road. It is a lovely path!
The 4th time, the Pilgrim office in St Jean was warning NOT to take the forest path and as there had been heavy flooding the previous weeks, I headed their advice.
That's funny how your impression changed from the first time. Apparently the route is a tad longer than the forrest, but I think I've made up my mind. The route sounds nice :) and avoiding a little bit of mud in the begining of my camino is a good thing, too.

You can see a lot of maps, descriptions and comments about this stage -in this forum and other online sites.
Basically, from Saint Jean PP there are two possible routes: by the Valcarlos village (lower, by local roads and a forest) or the Napoleon way (by Orisson, more scenic and difficult). You can also walk the latest and at Lepoeder mountain pass take the paved road to Ibañeta and Roncesvalles (the other option, by the forest, is a beautiful but steep descent). At Lepoeder, the easier way is indicated in a signpost as "Alternativa suave" (literally, "soft option").
Buen camino.
Thank you for the tip!

I agree with @domigee, the Lepoeder-Ibañeta section has some very nice views. I post two pics, with the perspective to the right, and to the left of the way (where you can actually see the abbey, in the background).
Wow, impressive! Thank you for the pictures!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's funny how your impression changed from the first time. Apparently the route is a tad longer than the forrest, but I think I've made up my mind. The route sounds nice :) and avoiding a little bit of mud in the begining of my camino is a good thing, too.
The first time, it was sheer elation , I was so pleased to have managed that first climb. Also the excitement to be so near Roncesvalles (in France you learn about Charlemagne and Roland and Roncevaux even before primary school I think). And the forest was lovely and cool as it had been a VERY hot day. :)
The second time I was more ‘blasé’, probably thinking on the lines of ‘are we nearly there? ;)

The first time, it was sheer elation , I was so pleased to have managed that first climb. Also the excitement to be so near Roncesvalles (in France you learn about Charlemagne and Roland and Roncevaux even before primary school I think). And the forest was lovely and cool as it had been a VERY hot day. :)
The second time I was more ‘blasé’, probably thinking on the lines of ‘are we nearly there? ;)
lmao 'are we there yet'.. yes I imagine I could think that too
I hope to have enough time before leaving to learn about such characters. I want to really understand the meaning of what I will encounter and grasp it while on the Camino.

Apparently there is a chapel and a monolith for Roland?
Yes; they are in sight of one another at the pass of Ibaneta, the high point of the Valcarlos variant of the camino. Don't confuse the monument with the fountain of Roland which is near that cattle grid on the Route Napoleon variant of the camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes; they are in sight of one another at the pass of Ibaneta, the high point of the Valcarlos variant of the camino. Don't confuse the monument with the fountain of Roland which is near that cattle grid on the Route Napoleon variant of the camino.
Great, thanks for clearing that up!

I didnt take the forest route so cant compare, but found the road pleasant, with a bonus of lots of wild horses.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you talking about Puerto de Ibañeta? If so, it was lovely ... I am unable to post my photos of it...sorry

I always take the right fork down the road to Ibaneta, it is very beautiful indeed! A little longer, but easier, especially in wet weather.

Davey

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Somehow I ended up in the forest. Looking back, I’m proud of myself for doing it, but at the time was very frightened. Once I made the horrible descent I never saw another soul, and there were a couple spots where I saw no arrow. It seemed like all afternoon but was probably just a couple hours.
Don’t know if I would do it again alone, but glad I did it once (and made it out before dark!).

Somehow I ended up in the forest. Looking back, I’m proud of myself for doing it, but at the time was very frightened. Once I made the horrible descent I never saw another soul, and there were a couple spots where I saw no arrow. It seemed like all afternoon but was probably just a couple hours.
Don’t know if I would do it again alone, but glad I did it once (and made it out before dark!).
I was with a girlfriend....we loved the solitude--especially while we huffed and puffed as we developed Camino legs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.