• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ideal walking pants/trousers

BShea

Time of past OR future Camino
(9/2013) Le Puy
(5/2015) CF
(5/2016) Le Puy
(5/2017) CF
(9/2017) Le Puy
(9/2019) RL Stevenson
Despite constant looking, I have been unable to find the perfect walking pants/trousers. I have decided to have them custom made. Here is what I have come up with:
  1. Drawstring waistband for weight loss (wishful thinking)

2. Zippered side pockets: zipper starts 2-3 inches below the waistline so I have access while wearing my pack.

3. Zippered cargo pocket on each leg.

4. A “secret” zippered inside pocket that flips up to store credit card and excess money.

5. Capri length – I don’t love my legs in shorts anymore and didn’t like having pant legs touch the wet floor when changing in the shower area. Also, I’ve noticed that my legs feel less hot in capris. Don't love the look, but not trying to make a fashion statement.

6. Fabric: I wasn’t able to find any hi-tech fabrics here, so I’ve settled on “Stretch Poplin” that seems quick drying, light weight and has a little give. (Most internet companies will not ship to Mexico or will do so at an exorbitant shipping cost)
I would love to hear any recommendations!

Thanks!!!

P.S. For anyone thinking, as I initially did, that this is crazy because of cost, my neighbor here is a seamstress who is making them for 150 pesos ($8.25 USD). The materials (fabric, 5 zippers and drawstring) was 84 pesos ($4.60 USD) for a total cost of under $13.00 USD, so very economical.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Let us know how they work out for you! I had the same problem and started walking in running tights with a lightweight skirt over. Hope your custom made trousers turn out well, you have certainly pinpointed areas in shop bought outdoorsy trousers that need improvement. Love to see pictures, maybe the start of a forum clothing collection?

Your plan for pants is great. They will fit well, have everything you want and cost far less than you could buy in a store anywhere.

Got lucky today and found two pair of hiking pants that fit. At the thrift store for far less money than I would pay for new.

Ah the endless search for the ultimate hiking pants... I've even contacted Bear Grylls on the subject! I've managed to have a few pairs that came close and am currently trialling a pair with security features designed for traveling but which have proved quite promising at the moment: ScotteVest Margaux Cargaux Travel Pants.

They have quite a few of the features you require:
  1. an adjustable and flexible waistband that can be worn high or low rise although the addition of a drawstring available on the previous version would be a bonus
  2. Zippered side pockets that I can access with my Aarn pack on
  3. Zippered cargo pocket on each leg
  4. Secure zippered side pockets within side pockets plus hidden Velcro pocket in cargo pocket. I have a pair of Montane Terra Ridge pants that I walked the Camino in that have a flip out secret pocket. It was wonderful!
  5. Adjustable length with some nifty ankle ties
  6. Fabric - the only real downer for walking as its a cotton/polyester blend but seem to be wearing well. Waiting for summer now to see how they go in the heat.
Have a look at the features on both of these brands as they could be useful to your next design :)

Good luck with your ingenious custom made pants. The price is certainly brilliant! Do let us know how they - and you - go.

More power to ya. Tailor made stuff are cool. My girlfriend got me a custom made shirt for my birthday once, and it really fit amazing.

That being said, my hiking travel pant of choice is the Silver Ridge cargo pant from Columbia. Light, comfy & best of all quick drying! They zip off into shorts too which saves on having to pack seperate shorts.

Let us know how your custom pants come out. Hey, you may be able to send more business your neighbors way!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use a flat woven nylon belt with a buckle that clamps so there are no hole to limit the size of the belt. Consider what a drawstring will feel like with a backpack belt over the top of it. I don't think it would work for me.

If you have access to REI Co-Op in the US, check out the REI brand, "Sahara Converible Hiking Pants." They are available in men's and women's sizing, and in various lengths. www.rei.com

If you want to avoid dragging cuffs, just order them next shortest leg length. I find that waist sizes run true to quoted measurements. Check the omline size charts. They have all the pockets, including a couple with zippers that you will find useful.

The cargo pockets easily hold passport, credential, smart phone, maps, and even the newer (smaller) version of Brierley's guide. However I cannot fasten the top flap when carrying his book.

The single greatest advantage of these pants is they are, to date, the only type I have found that have BOTH a vertical and round-the-leg zip. This handy feature allows you to remove just the bottoms without first removing footwear.

This is great during the spring, when the legs get muddy, but the uppers are clean. Remove the bottoms, rinse the mud out, wring, hang, and they dry enough to wear again in 45-60 minutes, even on an overcast day.

The fabric is 100% nylon, so they wash in cold water very well and dry fast. I have worn them for four Caminos, in as many years.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I use a flat woven nylon belt with a buckle that clamps so there are no hole to limit the size of the belt. Consider what a drawstring will feel like with a backpack belt over the top of it. I don't think it would work for me.

What I also like about the Columbia Silver Ridge cargo pants is that the belt that comes with it doesn't have notches like a traditional belt. You just pull the belt thru the clasp for as much as you need and tuck the excess belt in the pant loops. So you can adjust as you lose weight on long hikes. It's like a drawstring in that sense, but much easier.

I have often thought clothing manufactures should talk to real hikers about what they want in traveling/hiking pants. I like the features you have incorporated into your design. For the last few years, I have used ExOfficio convertible pants with the ankle zipper so you can remove the long leg portion without taking off your shoes. As someone else mentioned, the added benefit of this is taking off the muddy bottoms and just cleaning them. I also found opening the ankle zipper allowed for ventilation as I walked. I also realize these pants do not look "fashionable" although the styles are improving. I do think long pants (with ankle zippers) instead of capris will make them more suitable for a variety of weather conditions. or you could do convertible capris/pants. It might be handy to have a clip for keys or a small change purse inside one of your pockets. For more mobility, consider a gussetted crotch. Let us know how your pants work and post pictures!

I have often thought clothing manufactures should talk to real hikers about what they want in traveling/hiking pants.
They certainly do! I am amazed at the variety and improvements in clothing available. At least the higher-quality ones do respond to hiker needs, so sometimes it's a case of getting what you pay for. :( The real problem is that there is no unanimity in what different people want or what shapes they have. Kind of like shoes! Or raincoats. Or backpacks. Or shoes... :D

Despite constant looking, I have been unable to find the perfect walking pants/trousers. I have decided to have them custom made. Here is what I have come up with:

2. Zippered side pockets: zipper starts 2-3 inches below the waistline so I have access while wearing my pack.

4. A “secret” zippered inside pocket that flips up to store credit card and excess money.

5. Capri length – I don’t love my legs in shorts anymore and didn’t like having pant legs touch the wet floor when changing in the shower area. Also, I’ve noticed that my legs feel less hot in capris. Don't love the look, but not trying to make a fashion statement.

6. Fabric: I wasn’t able to find any hi-tech fabrics here, so I’ve settled on “Stretch Poplin” that seems quick drying, light weight and has a little give. (Most internet companies will not ship to Mexico or will do so at an exorbitant shipping cost)

Thanks!!!

P.S. For anyone thinking, as I initially did, that this is crazy because of cost, my neighbor here is a seamstress who is making them for 150 pesos ($8.25 USD). The materials (fabric, 5 zippers and drawstring) was 84 pesos ($4.60 USD) for a total cost of under $13.00 USD, so very economical.
Adding elastic to the back of the drawstring makes it more comfortable. The elastic allows some give at the waist.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow! Thanks everyone so much for your suggestions! I've checked all the links and carefully considered your recommendations.

I have noticed that many people seem to wear the convertible pants/trousers, but I think I really want something that covers my knee cap, yet doesn't cover my ankles. I tend to walk "hot". In rain, I prefer shorts, avoiding heavy wet fabric on my legs. Also, the longer length is heavier in my pack, no?

Price is a serious consideration for me. In the past, I've taken two pairs of shorts and a pair of yoga pants (shorts for walking, yoga pants for flight and after shower wear). My plan is to take 3 pairs of capris (I know... probably 1 too many for some people), so $300+/- USD would be price prohibitive for me.

I wear a waist pack where I sometimes keep my guide book (I rarely use it en route - mostly just in the evenings when I am planning my next days route). I find putting heavy stuff in my pockets pulls my pants down. Honestly, my pockets are used mostly for trash, i.e. candy wrappers, doggy bags with used tissues, etc. Things I don't want to fill my waist pack with. I once had a package of tissues that slipped out somewhere en route and I still feel bad about it for having littered. Thus my decision for including zippers everywhere...

All of my camino wear thus far has had drawstring waists so no problem there. I think women are less inclined to wear belts than men and maybe more used to drawstrings? My seamstress is putting both elastic and a drawstring in the waist band. I think they're attached somehow - maybe zigzagged together to allow for tightening?

I was hoping for a comment regarding the fabric (stretch poplin) as I am not familiar with it. I just looked to find the lightest, sturdy, possibly quick drying fabric I could find. I had concerns about nylon because I wondered if it sticks to a sweaty body?

I wish I could send more business to my neighbor. Her work is very professional (i.e. double stitching all seams and hems). The bulk of her income comes from making school uniforms. I'm pretty sure when she quoted me the price, she expected me to barter, which would have been ridiculous. Supposedly, my capris will be done next Tuesday. Once I pick them up, I'll definitely post a picture.

O.k. I just saw the Macabi skirt post... I can't imagine walking in a skirt. I have always feared taking a tumble and having my skirt flip over my head, exposing my undies to the world :) Someday, I guess I'll have to try it!

Last edited:
Working at the Pilgrim Office as a volunteer for a month this year over July and August, I saw many types of clothing work by pilgrims. If I were to venture an informed observation based on the distribution among females, I would say that the largest tranche wore cargo type hiking pants, OR some sort of yoga style pant that stopped below the knee, with a loose-fitting top for ventilation.

I even saw men & women wearing a cargo-style pant that also had the cropped leg effect. This exposed the calfs and lower legs to sun and weather in general. It works during the summer months but would likely be too cold for Spring and late Autumn Caminos. I later saw these pants available for sale at the Santiago Decathlon store.

To be certain, some others wore various styles of shorts, and there were a few skirts, both Macabi and other styles. But most people tended to cover their legs most of the way down. Then again, the sun is VERY strong during July and August. So, this makes sense.

On balance, I suppose it comes down to your desire for cargo-type pockets or not, and your personal comfort. The synthetic, yoga type, cropped-pant appears to work very well. At least it appears popular. It would ventilate sweat, as well as being quickly washable and dryable (as long as you stayed away from cotton content).

But, it appeared to me that the "default" type pants for both men and women appeared to be the convertible cargo pocketed pants.

Yes, there were even some pilgrims who did not get the memo and were wearing standard cotton blue jeans. That must have been heavy, hot, and not easily washable.

But, as Rule #1 says: "Every pilgrim travels his or her own Camino. It is not for others to judge..."

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
CA Moon - Your solution sounds perfect for a September Camino. Just stay out of overly tall grass and weeds to preclude ticks and things from attaching to your lower legs. However, this should not be a problem. Otherwise, they are a reasonable solution.

Opening the lower drawstring should allow for good ventilation on hot, sultry days, if you encounter any. Also, in cold, rainy weather, the lower legs are not prone to experiencing hypothermia, so you will be fine. Skin is remarkably drip-dry...

The fabric content should lend itself to rapid washing and drying. If you are doing a month-long Camino, two pairs are all you need. If doing a two-week or less Camino, I recommend you consider going with one pair to save weight.

I walked from Porto to Santiago in 2015. Over 10 days, I used one pair of REI Sahara convertible pants. When I did wash them and they were drying (twice), I went around the hostal / albergue in my next day's clean boxer under shorts and a clean polo shirt, and flip-flops. Hey, everything was covered and they look like a bathing suit...

If you "go commando" and take only the pants you are wearing, they may be able to stand in the corner by themselves by the time you are done, but weight is the enemy. Consider mailing a second pair, or something else to wear on arrival, to Ivar at Santiago, so you have a fresh outfit to change into on your arrival at Santiago. This will enable you to launder everything you carried on Camino.

It also makes you feel good about yourself. A shower and fresh clothes work wonders. A glass of vino tinto never hurts either...

I hope this helps.

Thanks!!!

CA Moon - Your solution sounds perfect for a September Camino. Just stay out of overly tall grass and weeds to preclude ticks and things from attaching to your lower legs. However, this should not be a problem. Otherwise, they are a reasonable solution.

Opening the lower drawstring should allow for good ventilation on hot, sultry days, if you encounter any. Also, in cold, rainy weather, the lower legs are not prone to experiencing hypothermia, so you will be fine. Skin is remarkably drip-dry...

The fabric content should lend itself to rapid washing and drying. If you are doing a month-long Camino, two pairs are all you need. If doing a two-week or less Camino, I recommend you consider going with one pair to save weight.

I walked from Porto to Santiago in 2015. Over 10 days, I used one pair of REI Sahara convertible pants. When I did wash them and they were drying (twice), I went around the hostal / albergue in my next day's clean boxer under shorts and a clean polo shirt, and flip-flops. Hey, everything was covered and they look like a bathing suit...

If you "go commando" and take only the pants you are wearing, they may be able to stand in the corner by themselves by the time you are done, but weight is the enemy. Consider mailing a second pair, or something else to wear on arrival, to Ivar at Santiago, so you have a fresh outfit to change into on your arrival at Santiago. This will enable you to launder everything you carried on Camino.

It also makes you feel good about yourself. A shower and fresh clothes work wonders. A glass of vino tinto never hurts either...

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a good idea on having pants custom made, though in the US it would cost a lot more than what you paid. I hiked my first Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago between 6/2 & 7/13 and wore "zippy pants" by The North Face company. I believe the style is "Paramount Pant." They are long, roll up to capri length or zip off above the knee into shorts. I was glad to have shorts on during those 90 plus days on the trail. These pants made from technical fabric have front side pockets & cargo pockets on the shorts part. While they cost about $70, I have had them for probably 8 years. I always take these handy, versatile pants wherever I travel. I did wish the pockets were bigger though, when I was hiking the Camino. But wearing a small fanny pack besides your rucksack can give you a convenient place -- extra pockets -- for things like your cell phone, sunscreen, tissues -- whatever you might want to quickly access. P.S. I don't work for The North Face. I just love their convertible pants!

I am a Kuhl user, the Liberators have zippered compartment & turn into shorts. Even stretch with movement & dry fast. All pockets accesable with a pack on. They came out with a new pant that has stretch material on the sides & below the belt line. Darn comfy packing 35pounds for 5 days along the CDT here in Montana. The Liberators I used on the Camino I used the zippered compartments for my money, passport & credential. They have a small pocket for a knife as well as good pockets for guidebook, cellphones.

Ta-da! Here are two examples of the finished product... (I also had her make me a black pair and an olive green pair which should be ready on Monday). The top pockets are different than my original design, but the seamstress felt there may be a risk of the nylon zippers popping on side pockets, thus becoming unusable.

It was hard to photograph the hidden credit card/cash pocket as the zipper is on the side that touches the fabric, not my leg so that when it flips up, I can easily access it. In the third photo, I've folded it down to show the zipper. Now I just have to "test-walk" them (as opposed to test-drive) to evaluate their performance and comfort.

upload_2016-9-4_10-51-46.png upload_2016-9-4_10-52-37.png upload_2016-9-4_10-51-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-4_10-53-29.png
    upload_2016-9-4_10-53-29.png
    600.9 KB · Views: 45

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.