• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Immersion heater question

Rodney Kent

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2023
Hi Folks,
I’m planning on taking an immersion heater when I walk the Ruta Teresiana and the Camino de Madrid in September and October this year. A question for those who use an immersion heater - what type of mug or pan do you use?

The instructions with my heater includes a note to use glass or ceramic. I imagine because metal heats up more than glass or ceramic, but if I carry a ceramic mug, there’s the weight and breakage to consider. I have a small camping saucepan that is very light, but metal. And a silicon foldable mug I could take, but isn’t suitable for heating in. From memory, most albergues have some mugs, but the guide I have for the Teresiana says that at least one albergue has no kitchen or cooking equipment at all.

The reason I’m taking the immersion heater is that I have coeliac disease so can’t eat gluten, so I’ll be doing a reasonable amount of self catering, especially breakfasts and probably some evenings. There are quite a few small villages, so I can’t rely on finding a shop, bar or restaurant being open or having much gluten free food.

Cheers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many albergues have no utensils at all, but often a functioning kitchen. Microwaves are very common, so you can always boil water. You could try testing the immersion heater at home in your camping saucepan or a rigid plastic cup.

If you are on the Camino Francés, you should be able to buy enough food along the way. ´Sin gluten´ is often available in Spain too. I am not sure that a personal immersion heater is the way to go. A friend of ours takes a lightweight gas camping stove. That might be a better option for self-catering.

Thanks for your ideas. I have tested the small saucepan. Works fine really, but was hotter to handle compared with a ceramic mug.

I know from previous caminos that ‘sin gluten‘ food is available in many places as it is here in New Zealand. I don’t plan to do a full self-catered Camino. It’s more about having a simple back-up of things like cup-o-soup, rice porridge and tea or coffee for when I’m in a small albergue with limited facilities and when the village is small and/or it’s the weekend and shops are shut. From my research about the Ruta Teresiana, there’ll be three days walking with maybe one shop. And villages will have a bar, which may only have tapas style food, which is often on bread. I’ll carry gluten free bread and jamón and cheese too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for your ideas. I have tested the small saucepan. Works fine really, but was hotter to handle compared with a ceramic mug.

I know from previous caminos that ‘sin gluten‘ food is available in many places as it is here in New Zealand. I don’t plan to do a full self-catered Camino. It’s more about having a simple back-up of things like cup-o-soup, rice porridge and tea or coffee for when I’m in a small albergue with limited facilities and when the village is small and/or it’s the weekend and shops are shut. From my research about the Ruta Teresiana, there’ll be three days walking with maybe one shop. And villages will have a bar, which may only have tapas style food, which is often on bread. I’ll carry gluten free bread and jamón and cheese too.
Sounds like you have it worked out. As I say, a lot of places have a microwave even when they have nothing else. Buen Camino.

I used this mug on the Lana. It gets hot so you mustn't touch it to your lips or even carry it around right away, but I didn't find that an issue. My companion used a hard plastic mug but just tossed the heater into the mug to sit on the bottom, so it wouldn't melt the top edge when the heater was clipped on! It didn't seem to melt the bottom.:oops:

I also carried a small (250 mL) plastic container with lid, that could be microwaved, a spork, and a Swiss Army knife with knife and corkscrew.

Both mug and container were a convenient size that my water bottles fit into, in pouches in my backpack.

I wasn't planning to self-cater except when necessary, but it was necessary a couple of evenings and several mornings, so I was glad to be equipped

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, @Rodney Kent,

I have used a very light hard plastic mug for years (I‘m the person @C clearly refers to in her post above). The coil did melt part of the top rim when I hooked it over the top of the cup. But I learned that leaving it unhooked and immersed in the water has not resulted in any other burning of the plastic. I know that @C clearly was concerned that if the coil touched the bottom of the cup it would burn through, but that hasn’t happened. I guess the water forms enough of a barrier.

For all that you want to know about the electric coil, and then some, try this thread.

If a hot caffeinated beverage is essential for your morning starts, you will be happy to have this on the Madrid, where the first coffee stop could be 20kms away.

Rodney Kent,

My coil water heater came from a Darty store in Paris and the dishwasher proof plastic cup was bought many years ago when traveling in Auckland.

39A_single_cup_of_tea.jpg

These simple items can help make your journey so much more comfortable especially when/where many seasonal restos/bars will be closed.

For many comments/posts from other users see this earlier thread www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-electric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167

Happy planning, stay safe and Buen camino.

Thank you all for these really helpful posts. I’ll certainly check out the thread And the links. I’ve just been thinking that I might find somewhere a double walled insulated mug that could be light and durable and even if it is metal the outside might not get too hot. If I go for plastic I’ll do some test boils before I set off.
🙏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have osteoarthritis that wakes me up very early most mornings and I've used a coil for coffee for many years. I usually use a plastic mug and clip the coil to the rim. I've never noticed any burning. It works well for coffee, soup and instant oatmeal. I've tried all those and have had no problems.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Has anyone bought an immersion coil in Spain with the European plug similar to mspath’s one bought in Paris? If so, where?
I have supposedly a dual 110/220v that will require an adapter but from the clip to the bottom of the coils it is longer than most ~ 4.5 inches as compared to 110v that is usually 4 inches. It would be great to get one with the European plug. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
After the coil I inherited from my father(!) finally gave up, I tried several and the smallest sturdy immersion heater I found was Lewis N. Clark for international use with European adapter. Have had it for several years now and use it with a hard plastic mug without any problems. Tried to take a photograph of the box, but it did not come out. Here is the bar code on the box which I suppose is their ref number: 29275 88205.. Above the bar code: YL205

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone bought an immersion coil in Spain with the European plug similar to mspath’s one bought in Paris? If so, where?
I have supposedly a dual 110/220v that will require an adapter but from the clip to the bottom of the coils it is longer than most ~ 4.5 inches as compared to 110v that is usually 4 inches. It would be great to get one with the European plug. Thanks!
Hi!
I got mine on Amazon.es
MaryEllen

And a silicon foldable mug I could take, but isn’t suitable for heating in.
I'm not sure why this would be so. I have used one for many years to heat water with either an immersion heater or a microwave. While I carry an immersion heater on other travels, I have not carried one on the camino. On the other hand, my now rather battered foldable silicon cup has been on every one of my pilgrimages and many other places as well.

I used this mug on the Lana.
I went to that link, and the people who have used it rather panned it. It is light (51g) and holds 400ml, but people said it bent, was nearly impossible with hot drinks. Of course, peoples' needs and mileage may vary. They did like how lightweight it is. The one (out of 15 reviews) person who rated it highest with 4 stars also uses the one I mention next, and regrets she cannot quite fit the Bugaboo inside the Infinity. About which...

At the same site, there was a GSI Infinity Backpacker Mug for $3 more than the GSI Bugaboo Cup (which C clearly referenced). It is clear polypropylene, weighs 99g, holds 500ml, and comes with a nylon insulating sleeve with a soft handle. I'm thinking about giving it a try.

I do like Betterisgood's recommendation of a Starbucks cup.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not sure why this would be so. I have used one for many years to heat water with either an immersion heater or a microwave. While I carry an immersion heater on other travels, I have not carried one on the camino. On the other hand, my now rather battered foldable silicon cup has been on every one of my pilgrimages and many other places as well.
It’s the size -too small. And the sides seem to collapse in, so I wasn’t sure how a larger one would cope with the weight of the heater. It’d be okay in a microwave, I’d imagine.

I’ve bought these two mugs to try. They’re from a local outdoors store, but the brands would be available pretty widely.
The first is stainless steel. camelbak brand. The advantages I can see with that are that it is deep enough that the heater when clipped on doesn’t touch the bottom, and it is insulated and has a lid. Disadvantages - heavier than the plastic one and the metal rim might get quite hot, but as long as I’m aware of that, I shouldn’t burn myself.
https://www.bivouac.co.nz/brands/ca...-insulated-stainless-steel-350ml-tumbler.html

The second is plastic. Sea to Summit brand. Dishwasher safe. Size and weight are good. No lid, so can’t be filled before setting off.
https://www.bivouac.co.nz/brands/sea-to-summit/sea-to-summit-delta-mug.html

I’ll test them both before I head off.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
An update on the tests. The CamelBak worked brilliantly - the heater hooked onto the rim with the coils not touching the bottom, the outside remained completely cool to touch as was the rim. So, with the lid it would be easy to make and carry a tea or coffee if I wanted. And certainly easy to make a hot drink or soup to have at an albergue without needing the lid. The size is versatile, too, I can see the mug easily working for porridge or similar.
The Sea to Summit plastic mug work fine as well. The heater clipped onto the rim easily and the coils sat above the bottom. The mug did get very hot to touch, though, in fact too hot to hold at first. I’d need to wrap it in napkin until it cooled a little. However, the mug does have a turned over top rim, so the rim stayed cool. So, there didn’t seem any risk of burnt lips, except from the actual liquid. Hopefully, I’m old and wise enough to avoid that.
Which one will I take? The CamelBak as it seems more versatile, which I think makes up for the extra weight.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.