• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Paris, can’t find reasonable way to SJPDP - April 27030, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

justweems

Time of past OR future Camino
Future, hopefully, Sept 2022
I’ve been making my way south after flying into Amsterdam. I’m now in Paris, trains are fully booked, and can’t get a train to Bayonne for several days. What alternatives are there besides taking a bus for 12-26 hrs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Taxi, but it will cost.

Flight to Biq (or Bordeaux / Pau).

One of the less frequently walked branches of the Camino goes through Paris, so you could walk it.

So many options available.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ve been making my way south after flying into Amsterdam. I’m now in Paris, trains are fully booked, and can’t get a train to Bayonne for several days. What alternatives are there besides taking a bus for 12-26 hrs.
Trains fully booked? Is there an order to evacuate Paris? I think I’d just make my way to Montparnasse and buy a ticket. There appears to be plenty available on Omio and other vendors for tomorrow

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Trains fully booked? Is there an order to evacuate Paris? I think I’d just make my way to Montparnasse and buy a ticket. There appears to be plenty available on Omio and other vendors for tomorrow
SNCF computer says no ;). As every year, the 1st of May comes and goes.This year it’s on a Monday which makes it a long weekend and people travel. On trains, on planes, by car ….

1682628861077.png

Hi @justweems: I don't know how adventurous you are ... I know that this is what I would do: Buy a train ticket to Bordeaux - a few minutes ago, there were one or two tickets left on high-speed trains from Montparnasse. Then at least I'd be in Bordeaux which is already closer to SJPP and not a bad place to be. And there are actually tickets for sale from Bordeaux to Bayonne. All for tomorrow (Friday 28 April) ...

See https://www.sncf-connect.com/app/en-en/. People also speak highly of https://www.thetrainline.com/ - the offer is the same, they take their data directly from the SNCF.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's a busy weekend ... flights from Paris to Pamplona for tomorrow aren't cheap. On Skycanner they start around €600 unless you opt for 2 stopovers with long crazy flightpaths and/or long layovers ... then you can get a ticket for €400.

A bit facetious response tinker, if the person says no booking believe him and offer your advice about Montparnasse , without sarcasm please. Positive advice is fly to Biarritz if possible and best of luck justweems.
Buen Camino.

The thought about cutting and pasting a route together has potential...if I were in that situation, I might go to Montparnasse and have a chat with the ticket agent, explaining the goal and asking his help with getting there. We once got from Santiago to Salamanca by this method...the train didn't go that route at that time (who knows now?) and the agent talked us through a workable cut and paste: train to Zamora, then bus to Salamanca. And after visiting Salamanca we bussed to Madrid.

BC

As @thejoker mentioned, there are plenty of walks incl caminos branching out from Paris. If you're flexible (either with time or plan changes) maybe just start walking towards your intended destination & when the long weekend transport crush is over, simply get on a train at the point you reach & continue to SJPdP.
Might be the least stressful of your options.
Best wishes...& your situation serves as a good reminder to us all; be aware of special events/dates in places we travel to!
👣 🌏

The Night Train to Lourdes. If things haven't changed too much, it should always be possible to get a spot on the night train, even if that were just in a 2nd Class reclining seat. They're comfortable enough, and if you've taken a sleeping bag, you can make good use of it.

In June, July, and August it goes to Bayonne, but we're not there yet.

The thought about cutting and pasting a route together has potential
It’s what French Rail themselves suggest on their website. This Friday morning, all the seats for Paris to Bayonne on all trains are now fully booked but there are seats available for Paris to Bordeaux (see below for the first few high speed trains today) and then there are seats on the slower regional trains from Bordeaux to Bayonne - so it is still feasible to get to Bayonne today by train within a reasonable travelling time (see below).

1682660040238.png

1682660363099.png

And there are still always the TER regional trains which should always have room available.

Problem is, it's May Day on Monday, so a long holiday weekend. Plus people beginning their longer holidays in the beginning of May. Actually, come to think of it, this is the kind of circumstance where even the Night Train could be packed.

I think the best strategy, really, would be just get down to the Montparnasse station ASAP, then see what's available from the train ticket machines there, and also look for TER departures heading in the right direction.

The route from Paris on the slow trains would be Montparnasse > Tours ; Tours > Poitiers ; then from there several possibilities :

https://transports.nouvelle-aquitai...seaux-Trains régionaux-Nouvelle-Aquitaine.pdf

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can also book a ticket on Flixbus from Bordeaux to Bayonne. The busstop is in Bordeaux next to the trainstation.
The busstop in Bayonne is a 10 minutes walk tot the trainstation.

Flixbus, overnight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your help! I secured a ticket to Bordeaux and will now work on the next piece. I had no idea about the holiday but it all makes sense now. I’m on a learning journey!
So glad you found a train !!

And ¡¡ Buen Camino, Peregrino !!

It’s what French Rail themselves suggest on their website. This Friday morning, all the seats for Paris to Bayonne on all trains are now fully booked but there are seats available for Paris to Bordeaux (see below for the first few high speed trains today) and then there are seats on the slower regional trains from Bordeaux to Bayonne - so it is still feasible to get to Bayonne today by train within a reasonable travelling time (see below).

View attachment 145756

View attachment 145757
Exactly what I did. Worked great Paris to Bordeaux on train. Was very jet lag. He so woke up early and went to the train station and was able to get a trip to Bordeaux, then Bayonne local, and bought my ticket for Saint Jean while on the train didn’t even have to wait when I reboarded.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Train to Bordeaux, spend the night eat oyster and bus to Bayonne. I know it sucks but it's part of the adventure.

Cheap EasyJet flight from Paris to Biarritz, round trip, for €60? In your dreams ;). That’s the price for a flight in two weeks. I doubt that the poster wants to wait that long. EasyJet fly only on Friday and Sunday. Friday is already over and Sunday 30 April is sold out. Earliest flight is next Friday 5 May. But Hop/AirFrance will fly tomorrow Saturday 29 April from Paris to Biarritz. Here are the prices on Expedia:

1682702852313.jpeg

Cheap EasyJet flight from Paris to Biarritz, round trip, for €60? In your dreams ;). That’s the price for a flight in two weeks. I doubt that the poster wants to wait that long. EasyJet fly only on Friday and Sunday. Friday is already over and Sunday is sold out. Earliest flight is next Friday. But Hop/AirFrance will fly tomorrow Saturday 29 April from Paris to Biarritz: Here are the prices on Expedia:

View attachment 145783
My point is to research. I went through the exact same scenario. Within two days I booked easyjet out of Paris.

My point is to research. I went through the exact same scenario. Within two days I booked easyjet out of Paris.
Maybe I misunderstand something?

The poster was already in Paris yesterday evening and this morning and had not had booked his/her onward journey to Biarritz and SJPP - on the eve of a very busy long weekend with significantly more travelling than usual.

Perhaps we will hear from him/her where s/he is this evening.

Last edited:
It's probably too late now, but flixbus still has tickets for tonight, directly from Paris to Biarritz which is close to Bayonne. Night bus ~110€.

There's also a Flixbus from Bordeaux tonight from Bordeaux to Biarritz for 17€ that still has tickets, apparently.

I've often travelled by long distance bus through Europe. If you want to travel without making reservations weeks or months before, and for a reasonable price, it can be a good alternative to trains.

Safe travels!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I flew by Ryan Air to Barritz then bussed, it worked great

have you tried BlaBlaCar?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We have not heard back from @justweems but I guess that the problem is solved by now. I saw that trains from Paris to Bayonne are still fully booked from today until Monday when this long weekend ends. Good when you have booked your ticket in time.

Just for info and useful to know: The website of French Rail https://www.sncf-connect.com/app/en-en has two tabs: one for “Train” and one for “Bus or carpool” which list Flixbus, Blablacar Bus and Blablacar offers.

1682746434155.png

As @thejoker mentioned, there are plenty of walks incl caminos branching out from Paris. If you're flexible (either with time or plan changes) maybe just start walking towards your intended destination & when the long weekend transport crush is over, simply get on a train at the point you reach & continue to SJPdP.
Might be the least stressful of your options.
Best wishes...& your situation serves as a good reminder to us all; be aware of special events/dates in places we travel to!
👣 🌏
Do you know how far Paris is from SJPDP ? This clearly is not any solution for her.

Try blablacar or buses. Buses are time consuming but you'll be nearer SJPDP and it will definitely be the cheapest you can get here on France at this time of year. sncf and trains tickets are just insane in France, so are flights.
Buses are the best option :) in my opinion.
Anyway, Buen camino after this

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ah well. It’s a great walk south from Notre Dame 😉
Or start a bit before at the Tour Saint-Jacques. It is all that remains to us of the Eglise Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie which was destroyed in 1797. Pilgrims gathered here to begin their camino on the Via Toronensis or Tours route. Tho’ you can’t climb the tower (great views, btw) until tours start on June 10, it’s a nice little parc and the tower is impressive. I hope you make your connection soon, but by all means, if you are delayed, make the most of your stay in Paris. Buen camino !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I flew by Ryan Air to Barritz then bussed, it worked great
Are there busses directly from Biarritz airport to SJPDP?

I'm trying to plan my travel from Paris to SJPDP in August and looking at different train or flight options.

Are there busses directly from Biarritz airport to SJPDP?
No. You take a bus from the airport to Bayonne railway station and then a train or rail replacement bus from there. Alternatively you can book a direct transfer from the airport with Express Bourricot - the price is not very much higher than public transport if the vehicle is full.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Try a bus. There are a few companies but we used Flixbus. It got us there. The terminal at Bercy Seine is well located but a shamozzle.

Try a bus.
It might be a good idea to lock this thread.

OP is very clearly walking somewhere in the Easterly parts of the CF, and has formally thanked the Forum for help given to get his Way to SJPP+

Nothing wrong with any general A to B advice thread, but this current circumstance of advice-giving willy-nilly is not too helpful IMO.

I seem to recall that late April/early May is traditionally a very busy time on the Camino and then things taper off as we move into summer. Is that memory correct?
I agree, and will do so. The particular circumstances faced by the OP are now resolved. This thread and other similar ones are still available for reference by clicking on the tag "travel to bayonne/biarritz/sjpp" under the title of the post. I'll also add a date to the title.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back