Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In two days I have to decide whether to continue on the Norte or go to the primitive all suggestions?

Burro

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPdP - Santiago Aug/Sept (2018)
Del Norte/Primitivo Aug/Sept (2019)
In two days I have to decide whether to continue on the Norte or go to the primitive any suggestions? I’m walking with my wife and we started in a Irun we are not certain whether we wish to go to Primitivo or continue on the Norte. Physically it’s not an issue which one we take. My question is about Albergues and other places to stay. It’s been difficult the last few weeks finding albergues etc. although things and he loosened up a bit. Any suggestions from anyone on thoughts about going to Primativo verse Norte or any suggestions for Albergues, pension etc. would be greatly appreciated. We try to keep cost to €40-€50 maximum for a couple. All suggestions appreciated.
Larry

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In two days I have to decide whether to continue on the Norte or go to the primitive any suggestions? I’m walking with my wife and we started in a Irun we are not certain whether we wish to go to Primitivo or continue on the Norte. Physically it’s not an issue which one we take. My question is about Albergues and other places to stay. It’s been difficult the last few weeks finding albergues etc. although things and he loosened up a bit. Any suggestions from anyone on thoughts about going to Primativo verse Norte or any suggestions for Albergues, pension etc. would be greatly appreciated. We try to keep cost to €40-€50 maximum for a couple. All suggestions appreciated.
Larry
Last summer when I was on the Norte I decided to continue on the Norte, and found it much easier to get a bed after the split with the Primitivo.
I figured that the Primitivo might be more crowded because not only do lots if pilgrims on the Norte split off onto it, but many more start in Oviedo.

What @trecile said 😃.

I stayed on the Norte, so that I could keep the Primitivo for a future camino, i.e. the Madrid / Salvador / Primitivo combo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We stayed on the Norte and used alburges almost all the time on that section. But is was 10 years ago and there was good amount of accomodation. It has smaller towns.

I agree with everyone else. Stay on the Norte. Finish the one you've started and save the primitivo for another trip. There is as much accommodation on both routes but Norte will be quieter after the Oviedo junction.

I did both. Staying on the Norte has the advantage of more towns and alternative accommodations if albergues are full (spanish holidays are also over I think) The norte is more mountainous but you would not see the sea anymore. If you want to do a camino in the future I would stay on the Norte. The Primitivo is a very logical combination with the very beautifull Salvador. If you stay on the norte I would consider staying 2 nights in Ribadeo, take a train, bus or taxi to the Playa de Catedrales (at low tide) and walk back to Ribadeo ( without backpack) It is a very beautifull along the coast, many flowers not much asphalt. If you don't come back for another camino. I probably would opt for the Primitivo I like mountains, and less asphalt walking

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What @trecile said 😃.

I stayed on the Norte, so that I could keep the Primitivo for a future camino, i.e. the Madrid / Salvador / Primitivo combo.
I turned onto the Primitivo to have more variety and a different experience. I hope to walk the Madrid / Salvador / and remainder of the Norte for a future Camino.

What @trecile said 😃.

Yes, continue on the Norte and do the Savador-Primitivo combination another time. Trecile mentions the Madrid as well, which I have not yet walked.

Buen camino whichever you chose!

I avoided Gijon by scooting down from Villaviciosa through the forest/high hills staying at a Carmelite convent, as everyone said it was an ugly walk. Not sure as I missed seeing the university. Then from Oveido back up to El Norte. I decided also to do El Salvador-Primitivo as one. Buen Camino whichever you choose.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Larry
I agree with Trecele. Walked last year and I hit the split in mid October. Then almost everyone took the Primitivo. I barely saw anyone on the Camino or in Albergues until Sobrado dos Monxes. If you like peace and solitude you will enjoy the Norte. I am sure there will be more people now but maybe others who are there now would know alot better.

One explanation for more pilgrims chosing to continue from the Norte on to the Primitivo may be that at least one French guidebook does not include the two options, whereas the little yellow German Outdoors guide does, and so does the Spanish El Camino in tu Mochila (or something like that). Have forgotten the title of the French one - gave it away with the disappointment of being so limited in information. By the way I walked the Norte 9 years ago; so my thoughts on the subject are rather dated.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post information to me.We have decided to stay on the Norte.
Warmest regards to all,
Larry

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I am starting El Camino Primitivo from Oviedo in 3 days. I will try to follow the normal stages and will attempt to do the Hospital route, if the weather permits it. During my research...
Hello to All !! My wife and I are looking at doing the Camino Primitivo sometime around the beginning of May 2024. We are both retired, in relatively good shape having recently completed a high...
Hey all, I would like to plan a Camino for my Easter holidays. I like the look of the Primitivo but as a complete first timer, I’m a little lost in all of the different options. The community...
I did the Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2022. I wouldn't call it life changing or anything that dramatic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so freeing to unburden myself of responsibilities...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back