• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Industrial site museums on the caminos de Santiago

peregrina2000

Staff member
There have been two recent descriptions by forum members who have visited former industrial sites turned into museums.

The first was @jungleboy and @Wendy Werneth’s trip to the hat museum in Sao Joao da Madeira on the Camino Portugués.

Interesting information from Nick and wendy here. More information about the museum here.

Now @filly has told us all about two museums in Ponferrada — one about energy in an old electricity building (official website here) and the other about railroads (official museum info here)

I can think of three in Lisbon.

Tram museum (about public transport in Lisbon, housed in the old facility). Sad to say I have never been.

Water museum (in two sites, very interesting, and I have been here!)

Electricity museum (never been, but I see that in addition to being housed in an old power station, there is a new very modern building that has opened nearby).

Can others think of similar industrial museums along any camino?

Marc S.

Camino(s) past & future
Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
Museo de la Industria in Portugalete (on the Camino del Norte, just after Bilbao) which is about the industrial heritage of this region (containing art work about this subject, and also items related to the Vizcaya Bridge). (website: http://www.portugalete.org/ES-ES/RIALIA/Paginas/default.aspx)

And of course the Vizcaya Bridge (declared as a UNESCO world industrial heritage site) is a sight to see.

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Las Medulas near Ponferrada, off the CF but on the Invierno, is a magnificent working gold mine dating from Roman times. It is also a UNESCO world heritage site.

Below is my blog entry from November 26, 2014

"It is always a joy for me to be in the mountains and thus the long stretch between Leon and the Galician border is one of my camino favorites. One of my dreams these past years while walking this stretch was to visit the UNESCO World Heritage site, Las Medulas, near Ponferrada.This is a unique area of Roman gold mines marked by most distinctive channels, caves and giant cones of bright orange rock. After learning that the Camino Inverno route passed these mines I rather casually decided to make the detour this year. Imagine my delight when pausing at Foncebadon for tea I met a woman pilgrim who works in Indonesia and who agreed to also make the detour! At El Acebo as dense fog rolled in we stopped at the simple Meson bar/albergue when I often stay. Worried about how to easily and safely see as much of the Medulas area as possible we were delighted to learn of the guide/taxi services of a local man who next day met us at Campo. Jorge hosted us in his 15th century hacienda and drove us far and wide throughout this almost surreal landscape. What a day and what a detour!"

Last edited:

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
Not a museum as such, but the Cabel Ingles in Almeria is an impressive piece of industrial heritage.
Further along the Camino Mozarabe, there is a museum of olive oil production in Baena (and a couple more on the Via de la Plata).
Also on the Mozarabe, a museum of Turrón (a local nougat), in Castuera.

Apparently, there's a shoe-seum in Elda near Alicante, on the Camino Sureste

0A7C2E85-F337-494B-A2C3-D3FF6975397F.jpeg

Blintintin

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2018)
I guess this would constitute Camino de Madrid:

Renfe Train Museum in Madrid, of course there is one train with an open bar car, at http://www.museodelferrocarril.org/index.asp,

and, the former El Aguila Beer Factory complex, not a museum but now an archive/ library / exposition centre. You can see a few pieces of old machinery still; the huge silos (once filled with grain / hops I suppose) are now filled with books! you can see the train tracks / platform where materials were loaded/unloaded. My dad used to work there in 1950s, in his early 20s! They were kind enough to let us see behind a few closed doors and also the silos with books. at https://www.comunidad.madrid/centros/sala-aguila.

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 July
Hello fellow pilgrims,

I visited two museums on my CF:
the Burgos based Museum of Human Evolution* with many objects from the digging site in Atapuerca (it was extremly hot that day and the museum got a/c ;))
and the
Tram Museum of Porto

The visit in Burgos was too short (only 2,5h) b/c I stayed in the Albergue "Emaus", that closes the doors at 8pm.

* website non functional at the moment

BC
Roland

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
And the museum of the Galician people in Santiago has some interesting exhibits related to printing on the lower floor.
The Pobo Galego museum can be boring for people without knowledge of European rural stuff. Nevertheless its famous stairs and the room dedicated to fishing gear can be interesting for everybody.
When I visited the Dolomites (Italy). I enjoyed a lot the museum of Ladinia in Vigo de Fassa because my knowledge of rural Galicia.

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
Camino(s) past & future
"Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment" Amazon/Kindle books authored
"Slow Camino"
In Porto --the Musea da Misericordia is connected to the church there by the same name.

In addition to all the religious art there is a fascinating collection of medical related objects.
This is because the Catholic Church was the social safety net for the past 500 years since the church was founded by Manual I in 1499.

If you were blind or deaf for example--- the only help you were likely to get came from the church.
So I viewed there a collection of strait-jackets, books in Braille, electro-shock devices and antique hearing aides. Photos of nuns teaching the deaf to lip -read.

There was a small admission charge and the museum was housed in a natural- light atrium on the 3rd floor.

The church is small, intimate--just lovely ---- rebuilt by Baroque architect Nicolau Nasoni in the 18th century.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014), Portuguese (2015), Primitivo (2016), Lucca to Rome (2017), VDLP (2019)
On the VDLP: the beautifully preserved and restored 1914 flour mill at the Casa El Molino de Castilla in Montamarta and in Monesterio the Museo Jamon.

lindam

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, VDLP, Invierno, Portuguese, Madrid, Ingles, Fisterra, Muxia, Catalan/Aragones/Loyola Norte
While we did not visit this museum, we saw it while walking the Catalan Camino. Located in the town of Tàrrega, the J. Trepat Factory Museum (http://www.museutrepat.cat/en) showcases agricultural machinery produced from the 1930s to the 1960s in its original site. Nearby in the town of Cervera, also on the Catalan Camino, one can find the magnificent building that was once a flour mill and water tower (see http://cesarmartinell.com/projects/flour-mill-and-water-tower-cervera-1921). When I was last there, in 2019, it was in the final stages of being repurposed into a museum and community space. The grandeur of the building itself speaks volumes about the historical importance of local farming/agriculture in Catalunya.

roving_rufus

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
In Besancon on the Via Francigena is the wonderful Musee du Temps - Besancon was a watch and clock making centre (there are still some small producers) and the museum looks at clocks, watches and time. I loved looking at the range of timepieces through time!
(Also worth going to see the elaborate astronominical clock within the cathedral - special ticket needed for this - and the presentation is only in French but still worth it with minimal French as there are multiple dials and moving parts)

Heikki

Camino(s) past & future
Burgos to Santiago 2008, Madrid to Sáhagun 2012, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2014, Camino del Norte 2020
Museo del Jamon in Monesterio on the Via de la Plata:

Museo del Ferrocarril de Asturias in Gijon:

These two came in mind. Sadly, the last mentioned was closed last February when we went by.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Just when you think the forum has run the gamut of nearly every topic and possible questions, up pops something new to read about and take an interest in. Thanks, Laurie, for starting this thread.
Agree! Interesting topic. Thanks, Laurie.

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
Camino(s) past & future
"Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment" Amazon/Kindle books authored
"Slow Camino"

IMG_0450 (2).JPGIMG_0456 (2).JPGOn the start of the Ingles Route​

Ferrol Naval Museum​

The museum​

Located in the historic Ferrol Arsenal, known as "Presidio de San Campio", built in the second half of the eighteenth century, the building that houses the Museum is already an architectural jewel of Baroque-Neoclassical style, worthy of admiration in its own right. Located within the Navy's "Herrerías Centre" complex, access to the museum is from Cantón de Molíns. Among its resources, the Museum has more than 2,650 catalogued records, including sets and collections of historical, artistic and technical value related to the activity of the Navy, its intimate relationship with Ferrol, and the naval and maritime history of Spain.

Last edited:

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
The first was @jungleboy and @Wendy Werneth’s trip to the hat museum in Sao Joao da Madeira on the Camino Portugués.

Interesting information from Nick and wendy here. More information about the museum here.

Tram museum (about public transport in Lisbon, housed in the old facility). Sad to say I have never been.

What would you do without us going to all these places for you?! 🤣

Inspired by this thread, and needing a cultural activity to do for this week's 'Lisbon Friday' afternoon/evening out, we went to the tram museum for the first time today. It was great!

The best part was getting to take a small ride in a tram from 1901. Look at the fancy interior decorations!

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1726.jpg

There were also other trams to explore, including two that were open at the side - one which was drawn by horses (how Lisbon public transport began in 1873), and another that is the last open-sided electrical tram left in Lisbon.

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

'Do you need a ticket? Put your phone away, I'll print you a ticket right here, and in under an hour too!'

IMG_1730.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
Geneva to Irun then Norte to SDC 2015, Piemont Pyreneen 2018
Decazeville, France on the Via Podiensis between Congues and Figeac it was once the world's largest open pit mine and a center of France's industrial revolution. Interesting Geological Museum and old industrial buildings. Could be a French Ironbridge but needs a lot of money and work.
A few kilometers from l'Hopital St. Blaise on the Piemonts Pyrenees is the former WWll concentration camp of Gurs. A place for reflecting on what has gone before and hopefully not to be repeated.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'CP, Frances,Norte,Salv/prim;Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, Vdlp 2019>Táb/ Prt Levante 2020
The best part was getting to take a small ride in a tram from 1901. Look at the fancy interior decorations!
What a fun day out and variety to add to your camino pics.
This forum gives lots of ideas for things to do when not walking. Thank you.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
What a fun thread!
Coming to it late to say I found this:

It's woefully incomplete, but still there are gems listed there.
There's an Orange Museum in Valencia.
Of course there is! 😁
You can even visit it from home:

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Asturias and Galicia are similar regions but they have notorious differences like landscape, houses/horreos and language. On the Primitivo there is a transition area that starts more or less in Tineo. The Museo Etnografico de Grandas de Salime has things from Asturias, Galicia and the transition area so it is possible but not easy for a foreign to compare the differences.
The museum has also a classroom from Franco times, an old shop grocery, a chapel and more things. On my Primitivo in 2013 I was talking for a while with its founder Pepe el Ferreiro at bar A Reigada.
Also in Grandas (Castro) the museum of the arquelogical site.

Last edited:

Mike Wells

author of 'Cycling the Camino Frances'
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (1995) (2017 twice) (2018); Via de la Plata (1996); Finisterre (2018)
I am only aware of two true industrial museums on the CF. First there is the Museum of Energy in an old electricity generating station passed by the CF as it leaves Ponferrada, reflecting the fact that Ponferrada is the only industrial city passed through by CF pelegrinos en route to Santiago. Secondly is the Museum of Chocolate by the station in Astorga. Both are well worth visiting.

Slightly less industrial, the bodega Irache passed soon after leaving Estella and best known for its 'wine fountain' where hundreds of peleginos pause daily for a free swig of red wine, has a Museum of Wine.

Though not a museum, the archaeological site at Atapuerca was discovered as a result of 19th-century industrialisation. When a railway was constructed to bring limestone, coal and iron ore down from the Sierra de la Demanda to Burgos for use in the steel works around Bilbao, it cut through a limestone ridge opening up a previously unknown network of caves with human and animal remains going back 850,000 years. The discoveries from Atapuerca now form the basis of the ultra-modern Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos.

Attachments

• The Museum of Energy in Ponferrada.JPG
    The Museum of Energy in Ponferrada.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos.JPG
    Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos.JPG
    846.2 KB · Views: 4

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 57 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 202 15.2%
  • May