• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction

pamcnm

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
I have been finding my way around the forum, learning and enjoying all the helpful and diverse opinions and suggestions shared here! I have been a hiker for most of my life and stumbled upon a virtual Camino app during the pandemic, and my interest in walking a Camino pilgrimage has been piqued! I am 63, reasonably fit, mentally resilient, but I do have a bit of arthritis I need to consider when planning my first Camino. I am retired, so I don't have time constraints. I suspect I'll be walking alone, but a close friend might join me for all or part of my first Camino. I am open to walking the Frances, but I think it may not be the best choice for me personally, for a first Camino. This is what I am leaning towards- and I welcome everyone's thoughts!

Walk the Central route in Portugal, starting in Porto
Start late May/early June 2022
Spend 2 nights in Porto at the start
Walk 6-12 miles a day and plan for several rest days along the way
Looking at rest days in Ponte de Lima, Valenca, do Minho and Pontevedra
1-2 nights in Santiago before continuing to Finisterre

I am still unsure where I would like to fly into and out of, but I want to be on a route with infrastructure, other pilgrims, and reasonably good weather. I know I will require luggage transport ( history of spine surgery), and I would prefer simple solitary accommodations most nights. I live in the desert, and hiking temps in the mid-'70s to mid 80's Fahrenheit half the year doesn't seem unpleasant to me, especially as I am an early riser. I am used to it!

I lived on the central coast of California for 40+ years, and although beautiful, the coastal route looks 'familiar" to me, whereas the central route through Portugal seems more historical. I am not in a hurry. Taking the Camino Portugues slowly and continuing to Finisterre feels like it might be the best first Camino for me.

Thoughts? Suggestions for rest days especially welcome.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the forum, Pam!
If you are not really keen on walking the Frances, then I think the Portuguese is a very good choice. The season should be good, there is enough infrastructure, historical villages and cities, and other pilgrims walking.
It looks like you have done a good job doing your homework already. I'm sure others here will chime in with additional thoughts and advise.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I have been finding my way around the forum, learning and enjoying all the helpful and diverse opinions and suggestions shared here! I have been a hiker for most of my life and stumbled upon a virtual Camino app during the pandemic, and my interest in walking a Camino pilgrimage has been piqued! I am 63, reasonably fit, mentally resilient, but I do have a bit of arthritis I need to consider when planning my first Camino. I am retired, so I don't have time constraints. I suspect I'll be walking alone, but a close friend might join me for all or part of my first Camino. I am open to walking the Frances, but I think it may not be the best choice for me personally, for a first Camino. This is what I am leaning towards- and I welcome everyone's thoughts!

I am still unsure where I would like to fly into and out of, but I want to be on a route with infrastructure, other pilgrims, and reasonably good weather. I know I will require luggage transport ( history of spine surgery), and I would prefer simple solitary accommodations most nights. I live in the desert, and hiking temps in the mid-'70s to mid 80's Fahrenheit half the year doesn't seem unpleasant to me, especially as I am an early riser. I am used to it!

I lived on the central coast of California for 40+ years, and although beautiful, the coastal route looks 'familiar" to me, whereas the central route through Portugal seems more historical. I am not in a hurry. Taking the Camino Portugues slowly and continuing to Finisterre feels like it might be the best first Camino for me.

Welcome to this helpful forum! Read up, search, and enjoy the knowledge of experienced pilgrims in here. If I were you, I woud start with the Camino Frances: It is an easy and welcoming walk. The Camino Portugues is mostly on cobblestones: I found it hard to walk there. But it is a nice Camino.

I am very glad that I walked the Camino Frances as my first, and I have done it several times. It has become a favorite of mine, for many reasons, not least the perfect infrastructure..

Last edited:
I normally recommend the Frances for first time pilgrims, too, and it definitely has a soft spot in my heart. If she walks in a Holy year, I feared the crowds may seem a bit "too much" on the Frances.
I didn't mind the cobblestones on the Portuguese.

I normally recommend the Frances for first time pilgrims, too, and it definitely has a soft spot in my heart. If she walks in a Holy year, I feared the crowds may seem a bit "too much" on the Frances.
From Porto to SdC is a lot shorter than the CF?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Pam. Porto to SdC via the Central Route is a fine introduction to the Camino. Since you have no time constraints might I suggest that you fly into Lisboa and spend some time there before taking the train up to Porto to commence your walk. I also suggest you walk to Fisterra via Muxia - an extra day but well worth it. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Pam. Porto to SdC via the Central Route is a fine introduction to the Camino. Since you have no time constraints might I suggest that you fly into Lisboa and spend some time there before taking the train up to Porto to commence your walk. I also suggest you walk to Fisterra via Muxia - an extra day but well worth it. Buen Camino.

I want to walk to Finisterre and would definitely include that! I would love to see Lisbon.

I thought there are fewer cobblestones starting in Porto. Is my understanding correct?

I'm not averse to cobblestobes, although I prefer dirt 🥾 I used trekking poles hiking the Samaria Gorge in Greece and found them very helpful on the big descent into the Gorge on rock paths!

If she walks in a Holy year, I feared the crowds may seem a bit "too much" on the Frances.
I was thinking the same. I am open to doing the Frances; but was thinking my desire for low-mileage days, rest days and continuing on to Finisterre, might make this route feel less overwhelming and more manageable mileage wise for my aging joints as a first Camino.

I think that you will probably find yourself walking closer to the 12 miles a day than 6. In many of the small towns along the way there isn't that much to do, so if you only walked 6 miles that would give you a lot of down time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was thinking the same. I am open to doing the Frances; but was thinking my desire for low-mileage days, rest days and continuing on to Finisterre, might make this route feel less overwhelming and more manageable mileage wise for my aging joints as a first Camino.
Another option, would be to walk part of the CF, say startin Leon, then take the alternative route, The invierno, from Ponferrada to SdC and then continue onto the Sea.

I think that you will probably find yourself walking closer to the 12 miles a day than 6. In many of the small towns along the way there isn't that much to do, so if you only walked 6 miles that would give you a lot of down time.
That’s fine. I'd just to know there are some six mile a day options. I might want to walk a little more some days. I just don't want to feel like I have to cover so many miles in between places to stop every single day. I also enjoy breaks where I don't do anything.

I am not the best sleeper although I am getting better since I retired. I spent my working life being a midwife and having nothing to do might feel like a great opportunity for a nap 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would not want to miss the Pyrenees if I hiked the Frances! Please don't misunderstand me- I would love to walk the CF at some point, but I need to make sure I won't need a hip replacement when it’s over and I am not quite mentally ready to walk for 6 weeks in a foreign country by myself. I have one or two friends I could conceivably do the Frances with. We would be able to remain supportive and flexible and give one another the space to walk our own pilgrimages while together, but the CP from Porto feels a little less daunting (to me) as a first timer wanting to walk in 2022.

Also, I had assumed from my reading there might be more solitude during the day and less infrastructure than I am hoping for on the Invierno. Am I mistaken? The Invierno looks beautiful!

I used to run half marathons on trails and had this idea the Camino Frances and the Portugues might have that same feel as running your own race with others running and doing the same, with help not too far away if truly needed. I probably need that for my first.

IIt think there are a few sections of the Invierno that would be challenging with a 10km limit per day due to limited accommodations.. But if you were interested there might be a way to use public transportation to assist you.

IIt think there are a few sections of the Invierno that would be challenging with a 10km limit per day due to limited accommodations.. But if you were interested there might be a way to use public transportation to assist you.
I am capable of walking longer distances. I just like the idea of having some low-mileage day options.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the CP from Porto feels a little less daunting (to me) as a first timer wanting to walk in 2022.
This is a perfectly good reason. My first camino was 12 days from Astorga to Santiago. It was do-able in terms of my real life schedule, and it gave me confidence for the next time.
had assumed from my reading there might be more solitude during the day and less infrastructure than I am hoping for on the Invierno. Am I mistaken? The Invierno looks beautiful!
I'm not sure if I understand correctly. I haven't walked either route, but my impression is that the Invierno will have less infrastructure and more solitude. Have a look at this thread for options on daily stages.

You understood me, and it sounds like we have heard the same things about the Invierno- more solitude and less infrastructure for pilgrims- not what I am looking for this time.

Hi, welcome to the Forum Pam. My husband and I (now aged 67 & 66 ) both have arthritis and have had hip replacements before walking our first Camino in 2014, if we are able to walk these distances and terrains nearly anybody can! ;)
We are both glad we walked the Frances first, it was very special and we are hoping to walk it again in the near future before we are physically incapable of doing it!

After our first Camino, we have used baggage transfer because of medical reasons and this is very easy to organise in Spain, noting you have mentioned you will also want to use luggage transfers. But I don't think it is available in Portugal from Lisbon to the border at Tui unless you do the walk using a company to organise it for you. When we walked the Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago in 2016 we did it through a company called Follow the Camino and they organised our luggage transfer and accommodation. This is an expensive option. When we walked the Camino del Norte in 2018 we organised everything ourselves and our luggage transfer with Correos, the Spanish Post Office, who were excellent. Their website is also full of very good information re the Caminos they service. When we walked the Frances in 2014 and needed baggage transfers occasionally, it was very simple to organise with a number of companies doing it and information readily available in all the accommodations along the way, Correos now, of course, do it on the Frances as well.

Your suggested rest days are excellent, Ponte de Lima was one of our favourite places on the Portuguese.
Would also highly recommend staying a few days in Lisbon on your way, it is a beautiful city, we loved it.
Also staying at least two nights in Porto is good, it is also a beautiful city and worth exploring.
When we walked from Santiago to Finesterre and Muxia, we spent two nights in Finesterre first then walked on to Muxia with a night in Lires on the way. Then had two nights in Muxia also, before catching the bus back to Santiago.

We wish you all the very best for your proposed plans in 2022 and enjoy researching on this Forum.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, welcome to the Forum Pam. My husband and I (now aged 67 & 66 ) both have arthritis and have had hip replacements before walking our first Camino in 2014, if we are able to walk these distances and terrains nearly anybody can! ;)
We are both glad we walked the Frances first, it was very special and we are hoping to walk it again in the near future before we are physically incapable of doing it!

After our first Camino, we have used baggage transfer because of medical reasons and this is very easy to organise in Spain, noting you have mentioned you will also want to use luggage transfers. But I don't think it is available in Portugal from Lisbon to the border at Tui unless you do the walk using a company to organise it for you. When we walked the Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago in 2016 we did it through a company called Follow the Camino and they organised our luggage transfer and accommodation. This is an expensive option. When we walked the Camino del Norte in 2018 we organised everything ourselves and our luggage transfer with Correos, the Spanish Post Office, who were excellent. Their website is also full of very good information re the Caminos they service. When we walked the Frances in 2014 and needed baggage transfers occasionally, it was very simple to organise with a number of companies doing it and information readily available in all the accommodations along the way, Correos now, of course, do it on the Frances as well.

Your suggested rest days are excellent, Ponte de Lima was one of our favourite places on the Portuguese.
Would also highly recommend staying a few days in Lisbon on your way, it is a beautiful city, we loved it.
Also staying at least two nights in Porto is good, it is also a beautiful city and worth exploring.
When we walked from Santiago to Finesterre and Muxia, we spent two nights in Finesterre first then walked on to Muxia with a night in Lires on the way. Then had two nights in Muxia also, before catching the bus back to Santiago.

We wish you all the very best for your proposed plans in 2022 and enjoy researching on this Forum.
Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions!

But I don't think it is available in Portugal from Lisbon to the border at Tui unless you do the walk using a company to organise it for you
Fortunately, luggage transfer is available starting in Porto with Tuitrans.

Fortunately, luggage transfer is available starting in Porto with Tuitrans.

Thank you very much for this info Trecile. I think this must be fairly new, as we weren't aware of this in 2016. We have also thought of walking the Portuguese again but thought we couldn't because there was no luggage transfer until after Tui. in Spain. Now we can think again!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would not want to miss the Pyrenees if I hiked the Frances! Please don't misunderstand me- I would love to walk the CF at some point, but I need to make sure I won't need a hip replacement when it’s over and I am not quite mentally ready to walk for 6 weeks in a foreign country by myself. I have one or two friends I could conceivably do the Frances with. We would be able to remain supportive and flexible and give one another the space to walk our own pilgrimages while together, but the CP from Porto feels a little less daunting (to me) as a first timer wanting to walk in 2022.

Also, I had assumed from my reading there might be more solitude during the day and less infrastructure than I am hoping for on the Invierno. Am I mistaken? The Invierno looks beautiful!

I used to run half marathons on trails and had this idea the Camino Frances and the Portugues might have that same feel as running your own race with others running and doing the same, with help not too far away if truly needed. I probably need that for my first.
I agree with @alexwalker before I had walked any Camino I was very unsure if I was capable of walking the Frances as I also have some arthritis and I was a little less fit than you sound.

I was thinking seriously about walking one of the Portuguese Caminos.

I am so glad that in the end I made the decision to walk the Frances instead.

As @alexwalker said, the additional time walking on the Frances adds something really special. It took me at least three weeks to start letting go of my normal need to be in control and to have everything pre-planned.

I would recommend that you believe in yourself and do the Frances first. 🥝☺️

I agree with @alexwalker before I had walked any Camino I was very unsure if I was capable of walking the Frances as I also have some arthritis and I was a little less fit than you sound.

I was thinking seriously about walking one of the Portuguese Caminos.

I am so glad that in the end I made the decision to walk the Frances instead.

As @alexwalker said, the additional time walking on the Frances adds something really special. It took me at least three weeks to start letting go of my normal need to be in control and to have everything pre-planned.

I would recommend that you believe in yourself and do the Frances first. 🥝☺️
I do believe in myself.

I would recommend that you believe in yourself and do the Frances first.
I don't see that believing in yourself and doing a different route are mutually exclusive. For me, I had an opportunity to walk a shorter camino first, and I was very happy to have done so. I don't feel that my later experience of 6 weeks suffered in any way because I had done something different before.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think your plan sounds great. I chose to walk the Portuguese camino from Porto in 2018 as my first camino, and I found it to be a wonderful introduction to the pilgrim world. I walked a few days up the coast, then moved to the traditional central route and included the variante espiritual. If I hadn't made plans to rendezvous with my husband to visit other areas of Spain, I would definitely have gone on to Finnesterre. As it was, I did that in 2019 when I walked the Frances from SJPdP. The Norte is next on my list as soon as it is possible. Most pilgrims on the CP seem to have already done the CF, but I found it a delightful "first camino" experience that just made me more eager to walk other routes. But whatever route one chooses, this forum is the best place to begin a pilgrimage! The information and experience shared here helped me feel comfortable and prepared from the start. You're in good hands here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I walked the CF when I was 69 and it was rough but I did it. If you are worried about being alone, you will NOT be alone. You will meet other Pilgrims all the time and if you pay attention to the Camino guidebook you can plan to walk 10-12 miles a day if you prefer. You will meet al kinds of people from all around the globe. Buen Camino!

Hi,

See how many good ideas and you have. So let me throw in a few observations to add to the ideas.
Porto is a wonderful city.
There is alot of road/cobblestone walking on the Portuguese from Porto.
There is not as good infrastructure on the CP as the CF, but then again no other Camino matches the CF infrastructure as the CF. But it is very good on the CP.
As @trecele recommended a luggage transfer you will have no problems in that department.
As far as meeting pilgrims is concerned, given the holy year has been extended, given you are walking in June and given you are walking the second most popular route there will be plenty of pilgrims to meet along the way.
OK, I am going to give you a suggestion. Albergues and their services, sizes, number of beds and the availability of private rooms in some albergues vary greatly. If forming bonds is important to you I would recommend checking out the numerous resources available that give you a list and description of albergues along the CP. There is no better way to meet and form fast and lifetime friendships than sharing a communal meal or just sitting in a backyard garden or chatting with a fellow pilgrim as you wash your clothes and then go for a beer or a meal. The best way to do that is in an albergue rather than a hotel or pension. You may love the experience:
Web sites like:
www.Gronze.com ( plug it into google chrome and it will translate for you)

Book guides like Brierley or Wise Pilgrim

Apps like Wise Pilgrim (Wisely) or Buen Camino (Both of these apps have downloadable maps and GPS so if you get lost you can check your positioning.

There is tons of information and post covid there may be alot fewer (hopefully not) options.

When you get to Spain make sure you have the App Alert Cop downloaded. If you run into problems you can activate the app and you will speak to an English speaking law enforcement person who can assist you with any emergency.
If you do not have the ability to make telephone calls from your mobile carrier, you can get a SIM card in Portugal and (you may need a new one in Spain). They are very inexpensive. In Spain I always use Orange as that plan works best for me. In November 2019 I paid 20 Euros for 80 minutes of calls within Spain and 15 gigabytes of internet. For me that plan works the best. But you can check around in Porto.
Remember lots more people speak English in Portugal as opposed to Spain. It is not a problem in Spain so don't worry. I speak decent Spanish, so that helps alot.
If you get to Santiago and feel like you want to walk more and have more time there are lots of great short options like people have mentioned, Finestere/Muxia Camino Ingles.
Finally, I personally believe and I know this opinion is shared by many, there are wonderful and helpful and generous people in Spain but the people in Portugal are the best people I have met anywhere in the world bar none.
Buen Camino and walk your own Camino and just listen to your body it will never betray you and will always give you your best guidance.

See how many good ideas and you have. So let me throw in a few observations to add to the ideas.
Porto is a wonderful city.
There is alot of road/cobblestone walking on the Portuguese from Porto.
There is not as good infrastructure on the CP as the CF, but then again no other Camino matches the CF infrastructure as the CF. But it is very good on the CP.
As @trecele recommended a luggage transfer you will have no problems in that department.
As far as meeting pilgrims is concerned, given the holy year has been extended, given you are walking in June and given you are walking the second most popular route there will be plenty of pilgrims to meet along the way.
OK, I am going to give you a suggestion. Albergues and their services, sizes, number of beds and the availability of private rooms in some albergues vary greatly. If forming bonds is important to you I would recommend checking out the numerous resources available that give you a list and description of albergues along the CP. There is no better way to meet and form fast and lifetime friendships than sharing a communal meal or just sitting in a backyard garden or chatting with a fellow pilgrim as you wash your clothes and then go for a beer or a meal. The best way to do that is in an albergue rather than a hotel or pension. You may love the experience:
Web sites like:
www.Gronze.com ( plug it into google chrome and it will translate for you)

Book guides like Brierley or Wise Pilgrim

Apps like Wise Pilgrim (Wisely) or Buen Camino (Both of these apps have downloadable maps and GPS so if you get lost you can check your positioning.

There is tons of information and post covid there may be alot fewer (hopefully not) options.

When you get to Spain make sure you have the App Alert Cop downloaded. If you run into problems you can activate the app and you will speak to an English speaking law enforcement person who can assist you with any emergency.
If you do not have the ability to make telephone calls from your mobile carrier, you can get a SIM card in Portugal and (you may need a new one in Spain). They are very inexpensive. In Spain I always use Orange as that plan works best for me. In November 2019 I paid 20 Euros for 80 minutes of calls within Spain and 15 gigabytes of internet. For me that plan works the best. But you can check around in Porto.
Remember lots more people speak English in Portugal as opposed to Spain. It is not a problem in Spain so don't worry. I speak decent Spanish, so that helps alot.
If you get to Santiago and feel like you want to walk more and have more time there are lots of great short options like people have mentioned, Finestere/Muxia Camino Ingles.
Finally, I personally believe and I know this opinion is shared by many, there are wonderful and helpful and generous people in Spain but the people in Portugal are the best people I have met anywhere in the world bar none.
Buen Camino and walk your own Camino and just listen to your body it will never betray you and will always give you your best guidance.
Thank you for all these wonderful ideas and suggestions, and your support ❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum Pam. I was 63yrs old when I did the first Camino (Frances). I have not done any others and had planned to do Frances again last year, but Covid dashed those plans. I had rescheduled for 2021, but this seems unlikely. So it will now be 2022 at 68 yrs. Whatever you choose, Buen Camino. You will not be alone!

I want to walk to Finisterre and would definitely include that! I would love to see Lisbon.

I thought there are fewer cobblestones starting in Porto. Is my understanding correct?

I'm not averse to cobblestobes, although I prefer dirt 🥾 I used trekking poles hiking the Samaria Gorge in Greece and found them very helpful on the big descent into the Gorge on rock paths!
Hi Pam, there are some setts to negotiate in the early stages of the walk from Porto. I use sticks almost all the time on Camino, no matter what the terrain, and find them very useful in many ways. I can also highly recommend wearing compression tights to reduce leg fatigue. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Hello,
Two suggestions: on the Caminho Portuguese and the Central...do not miss the Casa Dona Fernanda. You will find few donativo albergues that instill all the Camino can offer. A great location, supurb food, hospitality without peer. 2. Many focus on Finisterre. If you only have limited time consider Muxia instead. A beautiful seaside setting without the hype. Just my two cents.
Bom Caminho.
Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
I have been finding my way around the forum, learning and enjoying all the helpful and diverse opinions and suggestions shared here!
Hi, @pamcnm, Welcome to the forum! Seeing your message, it occurred to me that it’s been a while since a new member made an introduction like you just did. So nice to have new members with new plans. Maybe it’s a sign that we are really turning a corner back towards getting on the Camino!

I very much like the cities you have chosen for rest days, but one thing you won’t know till you actually start walking is whether you want to take a rest day. You may find you get so much joy from the walking that it seems like a waste of a perfectly good day to stay put, but then again you may enjoy it. My point is not to try to convince you one way or the other on rest days, but to suggest that I think it’s important to not be so tightly tied to a plan that you can’t change once you see what’s a good rhythm for you.

I always try to have four extra days padded into my round trip ticket. If I need them on the camino or decide to stop for a day, I can take it without having to take a bus to catch up. And then if I arrive in Santiago with extra days, I can keep on walking to Finisterre and/or Muxia. And I very much love @Arn’s suggestion about Muxia, it’s gorgeous and so much less touristy than Finisterre. Finisterre is pretty great too, though, so the best of all possible worlds is to add an extra day and walk Finisterre to Muxia or the reverse.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, @pamcnm, Welcome to the forum! Seeing your message, it occurred to me that it’s been a while since a new member made an introduction like you just did. So nice to have new members with new plans. Maybe it’s a sign that we are really turning a corner back towards getting on the Camino!

I very much like the cities you have chosen for rest days, but one thing you won’t know till you actually start walking is whether you want to take a rest day. You may find you get so much joy from the walking that it seems like a waste of a perfectly good day to stay put, but then again you may enjoy it. My point is not to try to convince you one way or the other on rest days, but to suggest that I think it’s important to not be so tightly tied to a plan that you can’t change once you see what’s a good rhythm for you.

I always try to have four extra days padded into my round trip ticket. If I need them on the camino or decide to stop for a day, I can take it without having to take a bus to catch up. And then if I arrive in Santiago with extra days, I can keep on walking to Finisterre and/or Muxia. And I very much love @Arn’s suggestion about Muxia, it’s gorgeous and so much less touristy than Finisterre. Finisterre is pretty great too, though, so the best of all possible worlds is to add an extra day and walk Finisterre to Muxia or the reverse.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you Laurie. I appreciate your thoughtful suggestions.

Hi, @pamcnm, Welcome to the forum! Seeing your message, it occurred to me that it’s been a while since a new member made an introduction like you just did. So nice to have new members with new plans
You're right, especially since we've just been talking amongst ourselves for the past year! 😄
Great to have new people on the forum.

On the Portuguese, I thought Tomar was wonderful, the whole town is attractive, and I stayed an extra night so I had time to explore the castle, a Unesco heritage site. Originally a 12th century Templars stronghold, later the headquarters of the Portuguese successors headed by Henry the Navigator. It is so thrilling when on camino one comes across significant historical places. The round church is stunning.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you everyone for such helpful suggestions. I think I have mapped out a tentative route starting in Porto and taking 21 days to reach Santiago, followed by an 8-day trek to Muxia, for a 30+ day pilgrimage through Northern Portugal and Spain. I may be joined by my oldest and dearest friend, who has been recently widowed. We celebrated 50 by rafting the Grand Canyon and we have done a 4-day hike along the Central Coast of California, not to mention numerous other hikes and camping trips over our 48-year friendship. I may also travel alone. I may have friends who will join me at the start or finish, so how I arrive and depart Europe is very much in the air. I have a son living in Stockholm as well.

For those of you concerned, I may be underestimating my physical limitations, I am a former trail runner and have quite a bit of experience with multiday hiking, and I still tent camp! I have a realistic idea of what I can do without pain or injury, based on walking/running 35-50 miles a week. I have injured myself on the trail and would like to avoid that. I think this will be a lovely introduction to pilgrim walking and maybe I will meet some of you while I am in Portugal! If all goes well, I may return and walk the Frances in 2024. My only grandchild graduates from high school and turns 18 in 2023 so I will be making a pilgrimage back to Cali for that celebration!

Buen Camino!

Maybe, but pretty much all of my vacations are outdoor adventures involving camping and hiking and sometimes kayaking, and have been for 25+ years. Despite careful preparation, working with PT, and being committed to remaining active, I often end the day with significant sharp joint pain. I can no longer hike every single day during a week-long camping vacation. I have to plan for rest days. My heart, lungs, muscles and spirit love long, hard hikes and I am very good at avoiding blisters! But I know it's unwise to push my joints if I want to walk the many miles and spend many days walking so it feels like the pilgrimage I hope it will be. I retired early because I blew out all the cartilage in my right wrist. I also have arthritis in my hip, low back, both thumbs and now a knee. It is something I grieve as I experiment with working around multiple vulnerable joints and continue to hike and walk.

I will be reading, writing, doing a little yoga, and stopping to enjoy the sites when I have downtime. I look forward to having enough time to discover that sweet spot between being still and moving.

I won't be disappointed if I discover I underestimated my abilities. I will be thrilled! But I also won’t be disappointed if I spend more time than needed visiting places I have never been and talking to Portuguese and Spanish people and getting to know other pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

I suggest doing the Coastal out of Porto and switch over to Central from Vila Do Conde. John Brierley Guidebook is a very good resource. We did a rest day in Barcelos & took bus to Braga - well worth it!!

I suggest doing the Coastal out of Porto and switch over to Central from Vila Do Conde. John Brierley Guidebook is a very good resource. We did a rest day in Barcelos & took bus to Braga - well worth it!!
Hi I am planning to take the bus too to visit Braga. 🙏Where is good to sleep to be close to the bus stop for the next day? Do you remember the number of the bus?

Hi I am planning to take the bus too to visit Braga. 🙏Where is good to sleep to be close to the bus stop for the next day? Do you remember the number of the bus?
We stayed at Hotel Bagoeria which was about 70m away from bus stop. Hotel had a roof top breakfast area with great view of river. We stayed the second night (Bagoeria was booked) at Alberguer Terco - across a quad park area from first Hotel. Another nice accommodation. Don't recall bus #. Braga break was very needed as we did over 32Km to get to Barcelos.
The Stage after we left Barcelos we split & stopped in Sao Bento where we stayed in the best place of our entire Camino - Casa do Rio.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We stayed at Hotel Bagoeria which was about 70m away from bus stop. Hotel had a roof top breakfast area with great view of river. We stayed the second night (Bagoeria was booked) at Alberguer Terco - across a quad park area from first Hotel. Another nice accommodation. Don't recall bus #. Braga break was very needed as we did over 32Km to get to Barcelos.
The Stage after we left Barcelos we split & stopped in Sao Bento where we stayed in the best place of our entire Camino - Casa do Rio.
Thank you Obidad this info is very helpful i will look into those two hotels. I cant wait to experience my first camino! 😊 After Barcelos i am planning to go to Casa da Fernanda.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.