• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a poncho really necessary?

Mentesimples

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (February/March 2014)
Hi everyone! This is my first post, but I've been following the forum for some time now. So first of all, let me introduce myself: I'm portuguese and I'm planning to walk El camino francés for the first time in February/March 2014 with my boyfriend. It's something we've been wanting to do for a long time now and finally we came up with an opportunity to do it.

As we'll be walking in winter time, protection against the rain is one of our priorities. We're planning on buying some raincoats that are both lightweight, breathable and withstand 5000mm of water. We were also thinking on packing some ponchos to protect us from some heavy rains, but I've just realized that most ponchos are waterproof till 2000mm.

So my question is: seeing that the raincoats would be more waterproof than the ponchos itselves, is it worth it to carry the ponchos at all? Of course the backpacks would also be protected by their own covers. What's your opinion on this matter?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Personally I carry a poncho as well as a small umbrella.
The problem with ponchos as well as a raincoats/rain jackets is condensation.The rain doesn´t get you but condensation does.
With a poncho you can try to get air/wind come thru ( when possible) in order to dry the inside a bit.Not possible with a rain coat
or rain jacket.
When it´s a light rain I usually carry on but when it´s a downpour I seek shelter if possible............ a beer, snack and some convo
with fellow peregrinos.

Buen Camino!

I get wettest from condensation inside my rain protection gear. That is less a problem in winter, though if you perspire, the cold air will condense the water very fast. So impermeability is not a big factor to me. The rating numbers are not really linear, so you get good protection at about 1000mm.

The main advantage of a poncho is that it covers the area between your pack and your back. I have been in rain, back in the day I used a rain suit and pack cover, that ran down my back, into my pack cover, and eventually wicked up to soak the pack.

Look for a poncho that opens in the front, and has sleeves. A poncho that pulls down over your head is very inconvenient even if you have a walking partner!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another thing to keep in mind is to use plastic bags , large ones like garbage bags. Put your stuff inside. The usual do the trick and if water does get in you backpack the garbage bag keeps your stuff dry.

Another thing about ponchos, there are some or at least there were in the past, which had a cord which went between your legs. It was very handy when a strong gust of wind hit you. The cord would keep the poncho on you and not blow over your head. But I must say haven´t seen any of those in some time.

Buen Camino!

I am a rain gear guy. There are many types of rain gear that are vented under the arms. That said, If it is a windy, rainy day you will be wet probably more from perspiration. Rain pants are lightweight, durable and more protective of your legs than poncho's.

The rain gear/poncho debate, imo, is one that boils down to an individuals own personal preference.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While I readily admit to being no expert on rain gear and don't want to endorse any specific brand, I have found that the Packa poncho has worked well for me. It is durable, very light, and versatile. It can be used solely as a backpack cover and if rain begins can be converted to a poncho that comes down to below mid - thigh without removing your pack and zips up the front. The arms have long zippers for good ventilation and, if you choose, your arms can be exposed by slipping them out for additional cooling.
The down sides are that the zippers are small, but this can be somewhat resolved using paper clips (or equivalent) for grip and it's kind of pricey.
My opinion.

I carry both. A poncho works well in light rain conditions and can work in moderate rain without wind with the advantage of air flow to control condensation. A raincoat is a must in windy conditions where a poncho just flaps in the breeze. A raincoat is a good windbreak even on sunny days where wind chill is a factor. In heavy rain I wear both because the condensation overwhelms.

A poncho can be used as cover if you have to stop. You put it over you like a tent and the air that gets trapped helps keep you warm. A candle can be used to add warmth.

If I had to choose between one or the other it would be the rain jacket. But without the poncho I'd also want a pack cover.

Personally my poncho was both an arsehole and my best friend. It is irritating as you have to take it fully off to get anything out of your bag, but it's protective quality is undeniably brilliant.
Umbrellas are pointless I think; rubbish for walking with, only useful for going around the places after you finish - you might as well use your jacket, and generally a bit more weight you don't need.
I was walking for 51 days through both the camino del norte and the camino frances and I found that a combination of my simple jacket - which admittedly had some little vents - and a poncho when the rain got heavier was enough to see me through. The only day I was truly ruined was the 27km day from San Seb to Irun. But nothing short of a car would have kept my dry during that. My poncho cost 18 euros, as did my jacket. As another poster said, look for those where you can have your arms free and not covered.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Mentesimples I prefer to take only the raincoat and the rain cover for the backpack, but I like to feel rain sometimes, so I rather prefer to be protected, but not so covered has that.

Since you live in Portugal (but I don't know the area) I think that you should search in a Sportzone or Decathlon (the last one it's preferable) for a good poncho, and has suggested, with arms and that you can open in the front. A lot of people talk about Altus ponchos (I think that it's how the name it's written), but they are expensive and they are not sold in Portugal (I think that you can only buy them online).

The main thing that I don't like in the poncho it's that it's a heck of a problem to put on and to take it out. Since I'm also a drinking water lover, this is a problem for me, although I use a Camelback bladder.
But since you are going in the winter, I think that you should take it just has a precaution.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
A poncho is one of those things you end up carying wondering why you took it until the day it really rains and pours, then your glad you have it.

Thanks a lot for all your answers! I think we're going to take your advice and take the ponchos, and probably buy some new ones, lighter in weight and with at least a zipper in the front so it can be easier to get them on and to ventilate.

@Diogo92 nice to see a fellow countryman around the forum :p and yes, we'll probably buy our ponchos in Decathlon, as well as most of our gear to the camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I haven't ever seen anyone talking about rain pants...or canvas backpacks. I made the decision to take a rain coat (half length) rain pants, and that's it when I walk this coming winter. The backpack is canvas (so heavier but with the thought that a poncho/backpack cover wouldn't be necessary) and I can put my stuff inside into garbage bags.

What are people's thoughts on that combo (bearing in mind that I've decided not to go down the poncho route and there's no point trying to convert me!)?

Last edited:
I haven't ever seen anyone talking about rain pants...or canvas backpacks. I made the decision to take a rain coat (half length) rain pants, and that's it when I walk this coming winter. The backpack is canvas (so heavier but with the thought that a poncho/backpack cover wouldn't be necessary) and I can put my stuff inside into garbage bags.

What are people's thoughts on that combo (bearing in mind that I've decided not to go down the poncho route and there's no point trying to convert me!)?

I don't like to use rain pants. I rather prefer to use convertible dry fast pants, with a thermal skin under them. The convertible pants are a 2 in 1 object that you can either use with good or bad weather. They usually are light, and even with sun are very fresh. The problem it's with the rain (not with the cold, really the rain!). Although they get dry fast, they still pass a little bit of freezing to your legs. That's why using the thermal pants its good.

@Mentesimples, if you need something, just send me an email to metalmelitia666@gmail.com ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I finally bought the new Altus Atmospheric poncho (the rain series one) in a shop in Madrid. But after reading some comments here about leaks and not being waterproof at all, I am considering taking rain pants as well (very light rain pants), and the Marmot Precip I have (which in any case will be in my backpack). My next camino will be between november and december and so I have to be prepared for many rainy days. Even though there is not a perfect poncho, I think it's something that should be always in the backpack.

I second dbjordan's endorsement of the Packa. In Sept., we had a couple of days when it threatened, but didn't rain much. We left the Packas hanging from our packs and could put them on easily when it showered and take them off and let them hang from our packs easily when it stopped.

In Galicia, it really poured, and our last day coming into SdC the rain was driven by what I estimate were at least 30, maybe 35 knot winds. The Packas were great and kept us and our gear dry. The very long "pit zips" kept the condensation down.

The umbrellas we saw were blown inside out or all tore up. I imagine people with rain jackets and pack covers were dry, but unless they had pack liners, I'm sure their gear was soaked. Many regular ponchos kited out and didn't seem to be that effective; the cheap ones just shredded.

The Packas were great.

We also took and wore rain pants. When it did not rain, they were great in the early morning to provide warmth, and easy to take off. When it rained, they kept the water from running down our legs and into our boots. Next time we walk, we may not take any other long pants.

Karl

@dbjordan and @kmrice I've done some search on these Packas, it sure seems like a great idea, but "pricey" sure does look like a BIG understatement to me! Not mentioning the fact that it probably wouldn't be easy to get them here in Europe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rain pants are lightweight, durable, clean up very easily, block the wind and keep your legs dry. I would not walk without them.

Ultreya,
Joe

Rain pants are lightweight, durable, clean up very easily, block the wind and keep your legs dry. I would not walk without them.

Ultreya,
Joe

I on the other hand almost always wear shorts (even in winter). ;)

Buen Camino!

I'm with Diogo. My Marmot rain shell is a good top wind breaking layer as well. The pack's rain cover is good enough except when there's an hours long deluge - then the area between the pack and my back is an issue. But to me the burden of choosing, buying and schlepping a poncho isn't worth it.

I'm also with Diogo that it feels good to get wet every now and then.

€149,-
A poncho is a ground cloth, a emergency shelter, a blanket, a barrier between you and that iffy looking albergues mattress, and a extra layer of insulation when its cold. Unlike rain pants and jackets you don't have to remove your pack or sit down to put it on or take it off. Just make sure you spend the extra money and get a good one. I have one that zips up in the front and goes on like a overcoat. It's extra long and has a adjustable space for going over my pack. I was in Spain May last year and it pretty much rained all month long. I did not get wet or overheat with my poncho on. It's made by Ferrol and is similar to the Ultas. You can ordered it from Amazon. Buy a small collapsible umbrella when you get to Spain. It can provide shade from the sun or protection from sporadic rain showers.

As to getting wet. Being wet is bad, just as being too hot is bad. You can become Hypothermic real fast even in warn weather. Becoming a victim of hypothermia or hyperthermia anywhere on the Caminos is very serious medical emergency and without prompt medical treatment, fatal! and the older you are the quicker you succumb.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.