• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there currently a long stretch without refreshment or water?

long trails

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
I posted earlier in the year about giving a little back to the camino in the shape of some trail magic.

Well I am heading towards the Burgos area in the next couple of days and looking for a spot to park my campervan up and give out some water, tea/coffee, cookies and shade!

I don't want to tread on any toes and park near where a local is selling drinks. I seem to recall the stretch on the meseta after San bol was pretty barren. Has anyone recently done the Meseta and can confirm? I am eyeing up 42.322164, -4.006871 as a potential location.

Perhaps there is a better part of the camino to do this, preferably somewhere between Burgos and Leon?

I am going to keep note of how many pilgrims pass me too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only long stretch lacking places to purchase food and drink that I observed on the Frances was that bit after Carrion de los Condes, but to me (at least) that was part of its uniqueness and what I liked about it. I just included an extra 1/2 litre of water and some energy bars in my kit and walked.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Somewhere between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Calzadilla de la Cueza?
17 km without anything...

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Yes I remember that stretch. I have a feeling there was a food truck somewhere along there. It sticks in my memory because they were selling weed as well!

Ok just looked it up on maps and there is 'Pilgrim Bar' about half way along that stretch.

I posted earlier in the year about giving a little back to the camino in the shape of some trail magic.

Well I am heading towards the Burgos area in the next couple of days and looking for a spot to park my campervan up and give out some water, tea/coffee, cookies and shade!

I don't want to tread on any toes and park near where a local is selling drinks. I seem to recall the stretch on the meseta after San bol was pretty barren. Has anyone recently done the Meseta and can confirm? I am eyeing up 42.322164, -4.006871 as a potential location.

Perhaps there is a better part of the camino to do this, preferably somewhere between Burgos and Leon?

As I remember there are just two almost equally (17km) long stretches without fuentes.

1.) Carrion de Los Condes - Calzadilla de la Cueza, but approx. in the middle there is a barn on the left and few trees on the right. In 2011 there was a camper van with drinks and snacks. I don't know about current situation.

2.) Calzadilla de los Hermanillos - Reliegos is the right hand option soon after Sahagun and it was deserted in 2011. I haven't seen much traffic and no pilgrims also. Today it might be different. Worth to try I think but the numbers will definitely be lower than in option 1.)

Maybe a good spot would be Puente Fitero just before Itero de la Vega where you entering into Provincia de Palencia?
Or at San Anton albergue before Castrojeriz?
Villafranca Montes de Oca to San Juan de Ortega on that pilgrim highway is (was) also quite deserted - 12km.
Azofra - Ciruena? 9km.

Good luck!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
...Villafranca Montes de Oca to San Juan de Ortega on that pilgrim highway is (was) also quite deserted - 12km...
If I recall correctly, there is an "Oasis" with carved wooden poles about two thirds of the way through this stretch. When we walked through, there was no one there with refreshments, but I've seen photos of the place since that seem to indicate that it sometimes operates as a donativo stand. However, a ways earlier there is a civil war monument that might be a good spot. There are picnic tables there which facilitate its use for a pause for refreshment.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I recall correctly, there is an "Oasis" with carved wooden poles about two thirds of the way through this stretch. When we walked through, there was no one there with refreshments, but I've seen photos of the place since that seem to indicate that it sometimes operates as a donativo stand. However, a ways earlier there is a civil war monument that might be a good spot. There are picnic tables there which facilitate its use for a pause for refreshment.
Yes, there is a SCW monument just before that steep down/uphill but no real shade as I remember. For such donativo or camper van refreshment spots I think shade is of utmost importance. Walkers are used to sit on their backpacks or whatever they can find or even on the ground. Maybe not on the first day but after a few no problem ;)

As I remember there are just two almost equally (17km) long stretches without fuentes.

1.) Carrion de Los Condes - Calzadilla de la Cueza, but approx. in the middle there is a barn on the left and few trees on the right. In 2011 there was a camper van with drinks and snacks. I don't know about current situation.

2.) Calzadilla de los Hermanillos - Reliegos is the right hand option soon after Sahagun and it was deserted in 2011. I haven't seen much traffic and no pilgrims also. Today it might be different. Worth to try I think but the numbers will definitely be lower than in option 1.)

Maybe a good spot would be Puente Fitero just before Itero de la Vega where you entering into Provincia de Palencia?
Villafranca Montes de Oca to San Juan de Ortega on that pilgrim highway is (was) also quite deserted - 12km.
Azofra - Ciruena? 9km.

Good luck!
Calzadilla de los Hermanillos: I walked this route last year in early June and didn't see any other pilgrims for that whole stretch. it is definiately the road less travelled.
Carrion de Los Condes - Calzadilla de la Cueza: When I walked that there was no refreshment station, just one long straight walk

Between Calzada del Coto and Caldazilla de lis hermanillos would be great but only 3 people in total walked that way a day when we did. The bit after Carrion may be better as lots of people and no refresh ments

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Azofra - Ciruena? 9km.

Good luck!

I don't think San Anton would be a good idea. Relations with the farmer who owns the land and (sometimes depending) supplies the water isn't always good. Plus he now has the bar just through the arch on the road. Wouldn't want to strain the relationship any more than it is!

Davey

Somewhere between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Calzadilla de la Cueza?
17 km without anything...

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Nope. Not true anymore. There is a man with a truck and a plot of land. He sells fruits, juices, nescafé and barbecues up sausages with buns. He’s about half way — a few KM prior to the rest area with the sheltered benches.

I don't think San Anton would be a good idea. Relations with the farmer who owns the land and (sometimes depending) supplies the water isn't always good. Plus he now has the bar just through the arch on the road. Wouldn't want to strain the relationship any more than it is!

Davey
Oh, I didn't know that about the bar. I haven't heard of that in few years here on Forum...
I posted that this was in 2011.
Sorry if misleading in previous post!!!

Thanks Davey!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In February and March there were a number of sections with nothing open! So it also depends upon when you are going.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@David attends feet along the way. He is pretty much an expert in caring for blisters. It probably isn't a good idea to treat the feet yourself but you could provide shade, seating, footcare supplies and water for washing to allow pilgrims to do self-care. That wouldn't compete with any businesses and still provide relief.

Hey @long trails, me & the Beloved will be on the Invierno in late September and from what I've gathered so far we'd be chuffed to encounter you anywhere between Quiroga and Chantada. Two long days without much by way of Pilgrim comforts.
But, if I'm a little less selfish than usual, there will be many more Pilgs in need of a little comfort and support on the Frances. I loved the Camino Romana but it was tough in the heat and without the diversion to Elvis' bar that would have been a hard, hard stretch. Likewise much of the Meseta, especially for the un-prepared. I figure that unless you set up a Km before someone trying to make a living you'll be welcome.

Nope. Not true anymore. There is a man with a truck and a plot of land. He sells fruits, juices, nescafé and barbecues up sausages with buns. He’s about half way — a few KM prior to the rest area with the sheltered benches.
He was definitely not there last October. There were quite a few pilgrims who were expecting a stand there, and who got in serious trouble with dehydration.

I don't know how everyone 'knew' there would be a stand there. My book didn't have anything marked.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Angels Trail on the AT.
I´m still thrilled to remember his generosity with the hiker when we need him most.
God bless the USA people.
Siempre estarán en mi corazón.

Attachments

• DSC_0691.JPG
    DSC_0691.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_0332.JPG
    DSC_0332.JPG
    573.2 KB · Views: 146

€60,-
Yes I remember that stretch. I have a feeling there was a food truck somewhere along there. It sticks in my memory because they were selling weed as well!

Ok just looked it up on maps and there is 'Pilgrim Bar' about half way along that stretch.

Yes there is.

On the CF at least, I reckon the locals have it fairly well covered. I'm struggling to think of any long stretches without some kind of drinks stand as a minimum.......

The bar was not there last May but it was raining every day.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It amazes me and also is very cool how so many of you remember all these details. I am a walker who is oblivious to everything when I walk. I walk with the motto that not much good comes from thinking on the Camino. Thinking got me nuts to begin with.
But having said that I THINK what gel and Scott previously wrote is the best advice of all. I agree do the VdlP. Very true, less pilgrims but your generosity could actually save a life on those really hot and long stretches.

Last edited:

Can't help you out with a location as I don't start walking until next week. Just want to say, gosh, what a super-sweet, nice gesture on your part.

The "trail magic" (aka free stuff) concept as found in America on the AT may not carry-over well to the Camino Frances. It is just not primitive, rugged or wilderness/semi-wilderness in any way. Not even a hike as most people define one.

Yea I appreciate the Camino is not the AT or PCT but I am sure walkers would still appreciate a sit down, shade and a free hot drink. Maybe they've been hiking alone and fancy some company for a few minutes.

Yes the VDLP would be good but I have just left that area largely due to the heat! Most uncomfortable in a camper sans insulation!

Will get my map out and have a ponder. Thanks for all the comments.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

This was the little oasis at the midway point in 2017:

IMG_0897.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yeah it seems it is a bit random when he is there, and he seems to leave early afternoon when he does turn up.
We were there in May, around the 22nd or 23rd. We had just finished the CP, and had a few days to spare so we took a bus from Santiago to Carrión de los Condes to walk a bit of the Meseta that we missed the first time due to scheduling problems, plus to see it in the spring (we were there in the fall before). I'm surprised that he wasn't there in June when @Anamiri passed by. Maybe when he sold out the day's goods early he shut down for the day. Anyway, it was a pleasant stop for a few moment's rest and refreshment.

Let us know where you decide. I am going to be walking from Monday, would love to say hi!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I would love to do that

Note ; the food and rest relief is great ; he is open from 8 am till about 1 or 2 pm . Otherwise ensure you have adequate orovisions with you !

I would have enjoyed meeting someone like you along the trail between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de las Cueza. Although I had sufficient water and food with me, it would have been nice to rest in a chair for 15 minutes or so and chat a bit. I recall at least 2 places where the Camino crossed country roads along that stretch, and looking at the map in the MICHELIN book, one of them (PP2419) is 10 km into the 16.8 km walk and is accessible via Highway N-120. Of course, I have no memory of how the landscape and road edge look for parking your campervan. A cheery "hello" and your close proximity to the path would attract pilgrims who enjoy being sociable.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok I seem to be having issues with accessing these remote spots - I guess thats what makes them remote!

The area I identified on the Meseta has literally no where to park. I'd either be blocking the road, the camino or be on private land.

Other access points are on dirt road and I don't want to put my fragile old van through that.

Hmm not sure what to do now!

Ok I seem to be having issues with accessing these remote spots - I guess thats what makes them remote!

The area I identified on the Meseta has literally no where to park. I'd either be blocking the road, the camino or be on private land.

Other access points are on dirt road and I don't want to put my fragile old van through that.

Hmm not sure what to do now!
Maybe the right person that can help you find the perfect place hasn't read this post or isn't even on the Camino Forum. If you are on Facebook you might be able to find a good place through two popular groups, "Slow Strollers on the Camino" or "American Pilgrims on the Camino."

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back