• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's kit list time :)

darronb

Hi all. Before I post my kit list would like to say thanks to one and all. The posts on this forum have really helped me. Right let us begin.

1, tallon 33L rucksack.
2, x3 t-shirts.
3, walking shorts, walking trousers with zip of trousers. Pair for walking, pair for evening.
4, x2 ultra lightweight short sleeve shirts (for evening and travelling out).
5, x3 pairs underwear.
6, x3 pairs of stocks.
7, ultra-light fleece (evening)
8, hat
9, lightweight rain jacket.
10, silk sleeping bag liner
11, bed bug sheet
12, micro-fiber towel.
13, travel toiletries/med kit Inc sunscreen, painkillers etc
14, waterproof bag liner
15, blow up pillow
16, Boots
17, Crocs (prefer to flip flops)
18, Camino passport
19, paperwork, travel doc's etc
20, lightweight poncho.
21, lightweight roll-mat.
22, x3 tent pegs / bungee cord.

Oh and most importantly a happy smile.

Total weight around 4.5 kg

Think that's about it but will post additional items if I have missed anything out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Darron. Just going through the same exercise and our kit list is very similar indeed. I leave from Pamplona on May 18th for 10 days.

I don't wish to doubt your figures but I'm struggling to get below 7 kilo's. Ok I've got a camera, charger, phone charger and coil and tin mug to make tea guide book and telephone but these add to less than 1 kilo.

I'll check again to see if I can get down to 6 kilos!

Good luck and hope you have a great Camino

Chris

Forgot about phone and charger as is always in my pocket. Phone is my camera as well and my trusty crusader mug and spork lol

Oh and I go on camino ingles July 24th

And good luck to you Chris

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was all set to comment, and then realized I did not know what season you were walking in (I'm assuming the Frances route, but that also may be wrong). So I'll just refer you to my thoughts on a separate thread on my gear for a Frances camino in the summer. If you post back your dates and route, I'll give you my best thoughts.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...orked-what-did-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might consider a mesh bag or UL day pack (Sea-to-Summit Ultra Sil Day Pack, etc.) that is large enough for laundry and trips to the grocery store, through museums, etc. Won't hardly change your weight profile, but will greatly aid your daily life.

Do you need the rain jacket and bag liner if also taking a poncho? Or, do you need the poncho?

Didn't see any kind of flashlight. A red "photon" LED is helpful when getting around in the dark.

Personally, I really appreciated having my blow up pillow. At 76 grams, it was more than worth it.

I was all set to comment, and then realized I did not know what season you were walking in (I'm assuming the Frances route, but that also may be wrong). So I'll just refer you to my thoughts on a separate thread on my gear for a Frances camino in the summer. If you post back your dates and route, I'll give you my best thoughts.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...orked-what-did-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Hi.
Your summer camino posting is really helpful and a very thoughtful contribution.
Thanks for taking the time.
B

Hi all. Before I post my kit list would like to say thanks to one and all. The posts on this forum have really helped me. Right let us begin.

1, tallon 33L rucksack.
2, x3 t-shirts.
3, walking shorts, walking trousers with zip of trousers. Pair for walking, pair for evening.
5, x3 pairs underwear.
6, x3 pairs of stocks.
8, hat
11, bed bug sheet
12, micro-fiber towel.
14, waterproof bag liner
15, blow up pillow
16, Boots
18, Camino passport
20, lightweight poncho.

Think that's about it but will post additional items if I have missed anything out.
Hi Darron, How about some simple first aid stuff? I've just walked from SJPDP to Santiago but didn't need anything myself, however a man fell in front of me and he wasn't carrying any first aid gear at all. I had band aids, Compeed bandages, wet wipes, and a small Swiss Army knife. A young German guy stopped with us and he had a big sheet of adhesive bandage - we cut off a piece of that with my knife. We helped this man who had a very bloody face - he had cut his forehead, nose and hand. He was on blood thinners as I am, so there was a lot of blood. I gave him some spare band aids for his hand and a plastic bag for the bloody wipes, etc. I walked with him for a while to be sure he was OK. I saw him a few days later - he had a black eye but was striding on.

You're not alone on The Camino and you might need help yourself at some point. BTW, I took a small plastic hiking whistle too, weighs nothing.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Five short sleeve shirts? I have two. And one pair of shorts (no zip off ones,). Merino long sleeve and long underwear and it's all I've needed, along with light fleece and rainwear.

1, tallon 33L rucksack.
2, x3 t-shirts.
5, x3 pairs underwear.
6, x3 pairs of stocks.
8, hat
11, bed bug sheet
12, micro-fiber towel.
14, waterproof bag liner
15, blow up pillow
16, Boots
18, Camino passport
20, lightweight poncho.

1, tallon 33L rucksack.
2, x3 t-shirts.
5, x3 pairs underwear.
6, x3 pairs of stocks.
8, hat
11, bed bug sheet
12, micro-fiber towel.
14, waterproof bag liner
15, blow up pillow
16, Boots
18, Camino passport
20, lightweight poncho.

We love other people's packing lists

Number 2 - make that 2. Wear one wash one.
Number 3 - is that 4 pairs in total? If so, see number 2.
Number 4 - it ain't a fashion parade my friend. Leave them, you've got your tee shirts at 2
Number 5 - see 2 number 2
Number 7 - if you take this you won't need anything at number 4
Number 15 - you could use the pillow provided in the albergue/hostel/parador etc
Number 20 - maybe that or number 9, not both, you only have one body to cover

EARPLUGS!!!!!!

Buen (lighter-packing) Camino

Looks good to me ;-) But some suggestions:

Take only 3 t-shirts max.
I wouldn't take the bed bug sheet, but then I move a lot around in my sleep and sheets never stay put for me.
I would ditch the blow up pillow, equally why do you want to take a roll-mat, tent pegs and bungee cord?

Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all thanks for input. I will try reply to posts. Also revised kit list. As been few changes after poping in to airport last week.

Reference med kit (first aid kit) I always carry a comprehensive one of these, never know when it will be needed.

Knife, I'm going to pick one up in Spain as airline won't allow one in hand luggage even Swiss army knife (one of those things)

Poncho/roll-mat no longer on list as makes my bag to big for hand luggage.

Whistle/earplugs Have both goes without saying.

Have man bag for keeping paperwork /money etc in

Here is new revised list.

Rucksack
3 x socks, underwear
2x t-shirts
1x short sleeve shirt (night time use)
Shorts / walking trousers
Med kit
Toiletries Inc sunscreen
Silk liner/ bed sheet
Crocks
Lightweight fleece
Boots
Wet weather jacket
Sun hat
Sunglasses
Bog-roll
Phone/solar charger.
Paperwork / money
Zip lock bag for valuables in shower.

Think that's it. Havnt put every tiny thing as some items like earplugs, couple of safety pins etc goes without saying.

Again thanks for the input

All the best.

Last edited:
Just remembered one other very useful item I always carry for if my rucksack rubs on the shoulders. I carry a few sanitary towels (ones with wings) they weigh nothing and have been a godsend in past, put the pad over the blister/hotspot and use the wings to stick it down. Have used them for this for years and works a treat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.