A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Ivar's Staircase

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Ivar's staircase popped up on my facebook
Lovely and important however THE staircase in Santiago is the spiral staircase in the Museum of the Galician People
Museo del Pueblo Gallego San Domingos de Bonaval, s/n look for it!

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 15,Portuguese 16,Finisterre Muxia 16,Ingles16,, Almeria to Muxia,Finesterre 18
Lovely and important however THE staircase in Santiago is the spiral staircase in the Museum of the Galician People
Is the most fantastic staircase !!!

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
Absolutely beautiful
Am impressed

Now ...this is my humble one...and it's hard enough to get up it at times...
How will I ever climb Ivars stairs?

Could I say....
"Beam me up Scottie"??
Annette image.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
Speaking of staircases along the Camino, there's one along the Camino Portugués that should not be missed -- it's in the Livraria Lello, a famous bookstore in downtown Porto. There is a small entry fee, but IMO it's worth it just to see the stairway and to browse the book collection. It's almost impossible to get a decent photo of the stairway because there are so many people continually going up and down the stairs, but here's my humble attempt made with my iPhone of a portion of the stairs...

1532190894855.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Wow, so many stunning photos! Keep 'em coming! We need a new thread titled "Favorite camino staircases"!

Purky

The Dutch guy
Camino(s) past & future
Breathe properly.
Stay curious.
And walk a camino.
Here's the staircase of the Moulin de Piis near Bassanne, on the Vézelay route. As far as I could understand, the making of the stairs was the final master craftsman examination of an eighteen year old French carpenter. This piece of work served two purposes: a new staircase for the old mill and a way to grade the young carpenter. He passed.

2016-05-19 15.58.48.jpg

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Via de La Plata (spring, 2019)
This is the staircase up the ancient bell tower in the iglesia de San Esteben in Zabaldika. One of the bells is from 1377. (There is a wonderful parochial albergue next to the church run by the nuns with beds; not bunks, and a great communal dinner.)

Attachments

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Here's one from Bilbao on the Norte. It was at the private albergue where we stayed. It seemed like a bad joke being taken up to the 5th floor by the owner after walking all day! Round and round we went! :) View attachment 44696
Oh gosh, that does sound like a bad joke, having to trek up to the fifth floor after a day of walking. After I walked the Frances, I went to Barcelona for a few days. I didn't get proper instructions on how to get to my hotel and I ended up walking about an hour and a half to the hotel. When the young man at reception realized my mistake he would not hear of my walking up to my room, and insisted that I take the elevator - to the second floor! :) (BTW there was a Metro station half a block from the hotel.)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Does anyone know anything about these stairs? They were near Murias de Rechivaldo, as I recall more or less standing alone (the rest of the structure was gone) and all barred up. I was delighted though that when the original structure was demolished, someone thought the stairs worth keeping for the rest of us to enjoy - seeing, at least. Camino 177.jpg .

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Yes, they were wood all right. Old wood just fascinates me. Seeing all the old wooden church relics (and furniture) in the León cathedral museum and elsewhere, was pure joy for me. :):):)

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
ivar From Santiago de Compostela 70

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 163 25.5%