• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July 2017

Anna Young

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking the Camino Frances for the first time this July!
Hi all,

So I have just booked my flights! Officially walking the Camino Frances in July this year. Only 12 weeks away!

I know it will be hot - but does anyone have advice about how hot it can get? Also does this change along the route?

Other than, keeping hydrated, sunscreen and hat - any advice on walking in the heat?

Thanks,

Anna

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You asked how hot can it get (click to enlarge):
IMG_2161.jpg IMG_2202.jpg
That was 2 days last July, the 40 was in Lugo, Galicia.
Not normally that hot though, but often in the low 30s.

Some of my personal hot weather tips:
Sport sunglasses, not fashion ones. Glare alone can make you feel nauseous.
Pin a silk scarf to the back of your hat, to make it foreign legion style
Wear a long sleeved white top and cut holes for your thumbs to protect the backs of your hands
Dip your hat in a fountain
Wet your shirt as well if you get desperate, but don't use your precious drinking water to do that - only from a tap or fountain
Don't carry on walking if you feel ill. It's not worth it.
Kas Limón canned drink with a pinch of salt is a great rehydration mix - available in every bar!

Last edited:
I'm seeing more and more people (still a very small group) talking about using an umbrella. At first I thought this sounded very cumbersome. However, it seems that most who do carry one, figure out a way to rig it so that they don't have to actually hold it and the reviews are overwhelming positive. I like to travel as light as possible and have made do with a Tilley hat and sunscreen but may consider a lightweight umbrella for my next trip.

'Listen to your body'! Best advice I ever got, from the owner of the albergue we stayed in SJPdP, @ dinner, night before our start day.
I heard his wise words many times that day (& later!) and was careful to heed his advice. Remember, it's not a race ... so,... take breaks and enjoy a cold drink and chats; visit the historic spots; take photos of the amazing scenery ... 'compare notes' in the evening (over a vino) with fellow caminoers! Stay hydrated. Keep your backpack as light as possible ... your back (shoulders, hips, feet ...!) will thank you. Your FEET are no. 1 ... comfortable footwear and socks ... and you'll be grand. Enjoy every minute .... the lead-up-to; the flight; the arrival ... it's an incredible journey. Buen Camino! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm seeing more and more people (still a very small group) talking about using an umbrella. At first I thought this sounded very cumbersome. However, it seems that most who do carry one, figure out a way to rig it so that they don't have to actually hold it and the reviews are overwhelming positive. I like to travel as light as possible and have made do with a Tilley hat and sunscreen but may consider a lightweight umbrella for my next trip.

I am one of the few who carry an umbrella and I've been called Mary Poppins :rolleyes::D I bought it for the Via de la Plata in June/July and indeed it proved wonderful in the heatwave.
I took it on the Camino francés last year and used it yet again.
I compensate the additional weight by not carrying a poncho (roughly same weight, about 300gr).
My reservations about light-weight umbrellas is that they're unlikely to withstand the wind. Walking to Boadilla last year the gusts were so fierce I thought I might take off, but my walking umbrella withstood it all.

Alternatively - and that is what I did on my 1st camino - start walking early. It was July 2012 and it was really hot, much hotter than it has been since.
No, it isn't a 'bed race' :rolleyes: you just walk when it is most comfortable and stop when it gets too hot. I found that year that taking long breaks doesn't help as the heat does not decrease in the afternoon, quite the opposite....

But frankly, 2012 was the only year I found the heat too much on the camino frances, it isn't usually.... (Famous last words :D;))

Last edited:
I've done the July-August Camino Frances (SJPdP-SDC) twice, and both times it was warm (quite warm some days) and dry. When I say dry I mean it never rained on me a single day. I could have left my rain gear at home.
I didn't need a sleeping bag either time, and a bag would have been too warm for me to sleep in (if I had brought one I probably would have left it on the donativo table in an albergue). I carried a faux silk liner instead. Worked great.
I really didn't observe much temperature change from one end of the Camino to the next. Sure, some slight differences, but nothing drastic.
I wore shorts everyday, and a hat. You definitely need a good hat and sunscreen and sunglasses. For me, at the most I only needed a light fleece to wear when it did occasionally get cooler, but I could have actually gotten away without one by layering up shirts. The days are very long.
Hydration is important as is carrying the lightest pack you can. In retrospect I could have carried a pack under 30L and around 5kg.
Check out this website for past years weather in Spain:
https://www.wunderground.com/
ultreia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked last year late August and September, and some days were very hot. Not 40C hot, but 35C was hot enough! :p
I survived it just fine by ending my walking day by 1:00pm, and I enjoyed the clear skies. I'll be walking in July this year, and my experience last year with hot weather made me realize that I can handle it.
I also brought a Euroschrim hands free umbrella, which was awesome for providing me shade on the Meseta. If I had set up a stand selling them just after Burgos I could have made a fortune. :)
At 389 grams it was the single heaviest item in my 7.5 kg backpack, but it was well worth it's weight. I especially liked not having to wear a hat, because they just make my head hot.

The handless Eroschrim has a very long shaf, as well as clips you can use to attach it to a backpack. I just put the shaft through the backpack's staps and voila.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks everyone! Great advice.

I have ordered a long sleeved shirt and I am going to looking in to umbrellaring.

Hi all,

So I have just booked my flights! Officially walking the Camino Frances in July this year. Only 12 weeks away!

I know it will be hot - but does anyone have advice about how hot it can get? Also does this change along the route?

Other than, keeping hydrated, sunscreen and hat - any advice on walking in the heat?

Thanks,

Anna
Hi Anna if you want to know how hot it can get Boiling hot, make sure you pack a hat and some sun cream ,I will be going back for my third Camino early July,on my last Camino in July 2015 it was sweating hot and take it easy, have a good Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all,

Thanks,

Anna

I've just booked my return flight.....took a while to decide which one to settle on after factoring in several possibilities! What date are you flying out Anna? I'm arriving in SJPDP on 16th July. May see you out there!

I've just booked my return flight.....took a while to decide which one to settle on after factoring in several possibilities! What date are you flying out Anna? I'm arriving in SJPDP on 16th July. May see you out there!

I will be a bit ahead of you set off on the 1st July... getting very excited but also slightly nervous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be a bit ahead of you set off on the 1st July... getting very excited but also slightly nervous.

I don't think my pace will be that fast to catch you up! I'm sure the nervous will settle once you arrive and start your journey. I just want the time to speed up so I'll be there!!!

Will look out for you Anna, I will be leaving St Jean on the 30th June,,good luck,,,, dont pack to much weight in your backpack

Hi all,

Thanks,

Anna
I walked from SJDPP to Viana last July. It rained when we were crossing the mountains. We arrived wet and cold into Roncevalles and they didn't provide blankets! After that it was very warm and we coped by walking in the early mornings, starting at 6am so we were at our destination before midday. Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back